Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1856

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1856
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Halloween and looking for shadows–um–I’m not superstitious, honest. I checked everywhere I could without disturbing the occupants of their rooms. The big girls were still chatting away in Julie’s room and hadn’t seen the cat, as it wasn’t yet midnight, I simply asked them to keep the noise down.

Our room had the door shut so did all the others except the girl’s room. The little bugger had to be in there. I crept in and tried to check it out without more than the light from the landing which only showed outlines. I couldn’t find her, the little monster.

I gave up some twenty minutes later and went to bed, Simon was already there and reading my book. “This is quite good, you ought to read it,” he said and I just glared as balefully as I could. “I’d be careful if I were you, if the wind changes you might stay like that.”

“Smart-arse,” was my endearment to him as I got into bed, wishing that I’d chosen to learn the bagpipes for when he wanted to sleep. Knowing my luck, he’d approve and go all Scottish on me, like some second generation immigrant to Canada or the US who seem to be far more interested in their roots than those of us who still live in Blighty.

I suppose that I’ve lived all my life in Southern England although technically my parents were Scots and so am I by birth, I’ve thought of myself as British, cheering on anyone from the four nations when anything sporting has been going on. Mind you, I think the thought of bagpipes probably frightens me more than Si.

“She writes quite well, this Donna Leon,” he said.

“I wouldn’t know, some bastard keeps stealing my books,” I said turning away from him.

“Yeah, you gotta watch those buggers.”

“One of them lost one of my books,” I whined.

“Alright, I’ll get you another if you tell me which one it was.”

“That’s not the point.”

“It’s a book isn’t it, a book is a book is a book.”

“She’d signed the one you lost.”

“I’m sure I can get you another one signed by her.”

“I’ll bet you can’t.” I pouted to myself and decided to ignore him for the rest of the night. I mean, what d’you when someone takes the book you’re reading and starts reading it themselves. It just isn’t cricket.

I eventually fell asleep but dreamt that Simon had gone to Venice to ask Ms Leon to sign a copy of the book and she refused telling him she’d signed one already and it served him right if he’d lost it. He argued with her, saying it wasn’t his fault he’d left it on the train, they’d been told to evacuate it post haste because there was a fire risk and he’d grabbed his coat and brief case and forgotten the book. He told Sammi off for not reminding him–she’d had a handbag, a coat and a laptop to worry about.

I woke needing a wee, so remembered the silly dream, playing it in my head for a second time to see what it meant–and I think my conclusion was–bugger all. I lapsed back into my comatose state and slept through until the alarm woke me the next morning. I can’t say I felt that refreshed though, because I woke thinking about Cortez, somebody on the radio was on about all these drug killings in Mexico, thousands of them over the past few years. My initial thought was, well perhaps Portsmouth isn’t that bad after all, then I thought of Cortez and hoped James and his friend were okay.

I meant to ask Si about it, see if he had any further communication but he’d gone to work. I have to admire Sammi; most teens act as if they’ve been super-glued to their beds, but she seems able to rise with the lark and go off to work. The bank is paying her about thirty five thousand, which seeing as she isn’t a graduate, is quite a good salary. Simon also gets them to pay for her season ticket on the train, so she does really well out of them. Then again, she’s turned their computer department upside down and shown up the security staff to be past their sell by date, digitally if not otherwise.

As I showered I recalled Simon telling me how she showed them up. She’d shown Simon that the security of his bank account wasn’t very good by hacking into it. He was quite understandably upset about it and got her to go to town with him. They had a meeting with the head of IT and then with the team of so-called internet security. Their leader was asked to the meeting and Si laid into him about complacency and incompetence. The man, Paul Connolly, claimed that the bank was secure and Simon challenged him to prove it.

Over the next week, Sammi hacked the bank every day and they seemed unable to stop her. Simon sacked the whole team the following week and appointed new ones who did manage to stop Sammi, half the time. The new team leader admitted she was good. The head of IT offered her a job and the rest is history.

When they came home that evening, I told Simon where I had found the kitten–sleeping curled up with Trish–when I went to wake the girls. Trish was totally unaware she’d been visited. I on the other hand was going to make sure the kitchen door was closed tonight before we went to bed.

“Oh you found her then?” was all he said.

“Yes, on Trish’s bed, they were curled up round each other.” He chuckled. “It’s not funny, I spent twenty minutes trying to find the little horror last night.”

“Was she causing a problem?”

“No.”

“Why worry, then?”

“That’s not the point.”

“What isn’t?” he asked patiently.

“She knows she’s not supposed to come upstairs at night.”

“Don’t tell me, you had a long and meaningful conversation with her about it?”

“Si, she’s a kitten.”

“Exactly.” He went off to change and I wanted to sulk. I felt like I’d just been made to stand outside the headmistress’s room for talking in class or something equally banal.

“You okay, Mummy?” asked Sammi.

“Yes, dear, just a bit tired.”

“Oh, Daddy got you this.” She handed me a bag containing a book.

“Why thank you,” I hugged her and pecked her on the cheek which made her blush. I wondered why he hadn’t given it to me himself.

I opened it expecting it to be an unsigned copy but to my surprise, it had been signed by the author.

Si came back downstairs, “Oh, I see Sammi gave you the book.”

“Yes, thank you.”

“Notice it was a signed copy?”

“Yes thank you.”

“So why the long face?”

“It isn’t the one you lost.”

“No, I know that, this is one they got signed for you specially.”

“No, Simon, it isn’t the same.”

“I know, this one is to Cathy, if you look.”

“I saw that, Si.”

“So, what’s the problem?”

“It’s the wrong book.”

“No, it’s a Donna Leon book.”

“But not the same one as you lost. That was ‘Suffer the little children’, this one is ‘Aqua Alta’.

“Well how was I to know?” he sighed and made a tactical withdrawal.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
223 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Bike 1856

Yes a Tacical Error - I would say that the cat has choose its best friend!

Richard

Bramble, and Trish

I wonder if Bramble being curled up with Trish is a lead-in for something? After all, it was a cat that looked similar to Bramble that kept Cathy from committing suicide a lot of episodes back,.,...and Trish has shown us she can see things that Cathy can't, like Billie.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Perhaps...

...Bramble's familiar in more ways than one... especially given the magical healing abilities Cathy and Trish have used on occasion...

(So what if I'm in a punny mood today?!)


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I have to say

it IS her fault. He DID ask her and she stonied up on him. Maybe he should have remembered it, but you KNOW how that is.

Duuuuuhh!

Simon's a dozy wazzack when it comes to women!

Kitten's in bed, must be lovely to have a pet as a kid.

Good chapter ANg.

Bev.

XX

bev_1.jpg

The Daily Dormouse. (aka Bike) Part 1856 by Angharad

Want to know more about Sammi and the hacking. But why can't Cathy accept the book? Does she think that it's a forged signature?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The book

It's nothing to do with the signature - it's the wrong title. As the penultimate line indicates:

“But not the same one as you lost. That was ‘Suffer the little children’, this one is ‘Aqua Alta’.

The book Simon lost was called Suffer the little children, whereas the replacement book is called Aqua Alta.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Kitties

Mine sometimes sleeps around my neck. :)

G

Nice try, Si

Shame about the result.

BTW nice legs, Bev. My tree trunks would cause considerable outcry throughout BCTS. It's no wonder that I live in jeans.

S.

Young...

Young animals and young children... Oh, my. The things they can get into...

Thanks for the fun. We've only two autographed books.... No three, but you'd only have heard of one of the authors. Some Biochemistry professor at Boston University. His name was something like "Isaac Asimov"... (The other was one of Andre Norton's Co-Authors - in her later years.)

Annette

I've got several

Angharad's picture

including Donna Leon and PD James in the whodunit genre.

Angharad

Angharad

My mum's..

My mum's got a few as well (Faulkner the best known among them)...

A personalized - autographed book is a nice thing! :-)

I guess the

head of IT thought that maybe it was a very sensible move to have Sammi where they could keep an eye on her .... If only to make sure she did not make a play for their job, Although given how easily she managed to run rings around them its probably only a matter of time before that happens..

Kirri

Kittens

Yew, Kittens! I have had either a cat or dog, sometimes both, most of my life. I am partial to neither as I had several of each species I am very fond of. Currently, I have two 12 year old dogs, and when they are gone, if I am still alive (I am 71), I plan on getting a Maine Coon cat.

Anyone who doesn't have a small lap animal who knows their place is in anyone's lap they can finigle their way into, just do not know what companionship they are missing.

Okay, Bonzi, and Izzy, this is the time when you jump into Ang's lap and remind her how good a lap pet you are! Scritches and scratches, and tummy rubs, and crease in ear scratches to both of you.

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm