Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1817

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1817
by Angharad

Copyright © 2012 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

The large individual advanced towards me and I think I was correct in assuming his attitude towards me was hostile. However, I knew there’d be no opportunity to ask him before he made his intentions known. He hadn’t said a word but his whole demeanour was one of menace.

As he advanced I retreated, a step at a time. My problem was complicated by the sounds of voices and noises from the lift door opening below me. In other words I was caught between a rock and a hard place. I assumed there were more than one below me, I decided I had to get past this moving mountain on the stairs. So to recap, I was going down the stairs although my preferred destination was actually upwards. I know, these decisions are always difficult–especially so when confronted by a large moving mass.

I did a quick assessment, my only advantage was speed; speed and agility–oh no–I sound like the Spanish Inquisition sketch from Monty Python, and this was anything but amusing.

From about two steps above me, Boris Karloff lunged at me I ducked underneath his arms only to have him grab and pull my ponytail. I squealed and brought my hand up hard in his groin, snatched and twisted as violently as I could. He squealed and let go, calling me names which I won’t repeat, as they weren’t very nice ones.

I scrambled up the stairs and grabbed one of the pieces of wood they’d used to wedge the lift doors open. I rammed it through the door handle on the stairs at the same time, I pushed the lift call button.

If my situation so far had been one of bad luck, it changed to one of good fortune. All three of my opponents were in the stair well when I summoned the lift and the equipment they were going to pinch was still in the lift. The doors opened and I was relieved to see it was just the equipment, I quickly shoved the remaining wedge between the doors meaning the lift would be jammed on the first floor.

I could hear the switches on the lift clicking and the doors opening and closing onto the wedge. For a moment I felt almost safe, as long as the lump of wood and the door handle held. Big boy had stopped rubbing his wedding tackle and was now heaving on the door and I did fear what would happen if he managed to pull it open. I was standing, sweating partly with fear and partly through exertion. I still had the phone in my hand and Danny was still connected.

“Woss’appenin’, Mum?”

“Are the police coming?” I gasped.

“Yeah, I think so.”

“Okay, ring off now, luvvy, and go and stay by the car.” As soon as he did that I called nine nine nine and asked for police. I’d just given the details of my besiegement when I was aware of the door from the laboratory opening behind me. Oh shit.

I turned and now facing me was a man who was even larger and uglier than his mate on the stairs. He grabbed me round the throat. In the films, James Bond always whips his hands up through his attacker’s breaks the grip and belts the bad guy in the mush–end of story. In real life it rarely works, what does is a trick they taught us on a self defence workshop a while back. It’s called break-away. It’s simple but pay attention, I’m only hopefully going to do this once.

While thug number four was busy trying to squash my windpipe into my spine, I raised my arm and turned away from him bringing my arm down on his wrists, the move has to be done quickly and suddenly. I broke away, and stepped back, my eyes were watering but I was still breathing. I was now in a state of war however, declaring it might have given the game away that I was really quite cross with him.

He lunged again and I dropped and twisted, kicking hard against his knee, the one which wasn’t bent. He yelled and fell, nearly landing on top of me. I rolled away and jumped up kicking the arm he was using to lift himself with. This time my heel wrecked his elbow. Somehow he managed to stand himself up and I obliged him by delivering a swift kick to his gonads followed by another to his chest and he flew backwards, groaning as some of his ribs cracked under my assault.

The assault on the door became more intense, I thought I saw all three of the others there, so I retreated to the lift, from where I could still hear the noise on the door. On the ground floor, before they could work out where I was, I jammed the trolley with the equipment against the bottom door of the stair well and legged it towards the car park.

Three police cars screamed onto the campus, sirens and lights working overtime. The security man directed them towards the laboratories as I ran away from them. Some of the police were carrying guns–why? Did they know something I didn’t.

“Who are you?” asked one of the coppers.

“I called, I was shut in there with them. I’ve tried to trap them in the stair well.”

“How did you do that?”

“It’ll be obvious when you get there–why have you got guns?”

“We thought we heard gunshots.”

“No, just them banging on the doors.”

The six burly bobbies went dashing into the laboratory block and I went to find Danny and hug him to death. He was actually crying when I got there, apparently so worried for me. To be honest, when we hugged I burst into tears as well.

More police vehicles arrived and another four coppers went dashing to help their friends.

“You’ve got bruises on your neck, Mum.”

I felt it, it was quite tender. “The guy who did it has a few, too.”

He brought his arm round me protectively. “If they get past the cops, you stand behind me, Mum. I’ll protect you.” That brought some more tears from me–my brave son.

The police eventually led out the three thugs from the stairwell. “We’ll need a statement, Miss.”

“What about the fourth one?” I asked.

“Fourth one?” he said, “Boys, there’s another–where is he?”

“Up on the first floor landing, you may need to use the lift, I wedged the door to the stairs.”

Three of them went back into the building while the other police escorted the would- be thieves into a black Maria–why do they call them that, it was white?

Some ten minutes later an ambulance arrived and two paramedics dashed in with stretcher. I had to think what had happened. Oh yeah, his knee, I knocked his patella off the bone. Tends to make walking difficult.

Eventually, the remaining thug was wheeled out on the stretcher and he yelled when he saw me. I was simply standing holding my son.

“He’s filing an assault charge against you, Miss–he’s quite badly beaten.”

“He tried to kill me,” I pointed at my neck.

“Okay, I can see bruising–did you have to half kill him?”

“Oh come off it, officer, he’s twice my size and weight.”

“I know you from somewhere, don’t I?” continued the copper. “Shit–you’re that banker’s wife, aren’t you?”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
237 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Here we go with the suing again

Asshat criminals who get their asses handed to them start to claim they are the victims. I hate the bloody criminal justice system. I think in a way it is better off just killing the bastard if they invade your home instead of just beating them up. Oh, btw, if you want to buy something for home defense, get a good shotgun - Mauser is a good choice as in a tense situation, accuracy could be an issue with a handgun. I am planning to buy a house and I think I will get a shotgun and practice with it.

Kim

Uuuuhm Kimmie?

You hardly need to practice much with a shotgun, just saw off the barrel then point-and-shoot. Rememeber to hide it from your three-year-old kid though!!

X

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Still have to get use to the recoil

... and the noise. I have never had a firearm so I will have to make sure I know how it feels and sounds, especially in a confined space.

Kim

Home defense

A gun dealer told me that a 12 Ga pump works well because it makes a characteristic sound when you rack a shell into the chamber. It's better to convince the home invader to give up than to get blood all over your house and then have to fill out paperwork. There are some cities and states where they'll even arrest you.

Anyhow, if you're going to get a weapon, have someone who knows how to use it give you some lessons. You don't want to be facing an assailant the first time you pull the trigger. Taking a hunter's safety course would be a good idea, too.

By the way, Beverly, shortening a shotgun too much is illegal.

All sound advice

As I did mention, getting familiar with a weapon is critical. And yes, scaring the bugger off or capturing the bugger is a better option. In any case, it is still a pain in the butt :(. At a minimum the outside of the house will be under constant video surveillance.

Kim

Special permit

But you can get a special permit for it.

G

You would be surprised

How easy it is to miss even using a shotgun. Especially if you saw the barrel off. The shot pattern spreads so quickly, it is possible to miss just across a room. And it is illegal to cut one off less than 18 1/2 inches, and it has to meet an over all length minimum also. Butt stocks can be missing, making it a "pistol grip" type, if other regulations are met. Military is exempt, but cannot be owned by a civilian. Same with police agencies. The noise is very loud, but recoil is actually less than a 30.06 rifle. The trick is to hold it firmly and pull it back into the shoulder so it pushes you instead of getting a running start and thumping you. (pardon my lecture. I taught shooting to cops for 30 years.)

Home defence and the Shotgun

The big reasons why the shotgun is the best home defence weapon are as follows. They are very intimidating to the person looking down the barrel of the weapon. Also, unlike pistol rounds they don't over-penetrate. By that I mean if you miss, the round does not go through the wall and hit someone you did not intend. In fact, with a pistol round even if you hit your target you can still get over-penetration. That is one of the biggest reasons why police departments here in the States use hollow-point ammo instead of ball ammo to help prevent over-penetration of their rounds if they need to shoot while out on patrol.

Bike

With all the goings on, I hope Cathy remembers to check on the doormice.

If i ever ..

get into a situation like Cathy has just done, I hope by some miracle i have someone with her ability to think calmly under pressure with me, Because i cannot help but think faced with four big gorilla's i would do the only thing i could do without thinking..

Panic!!!!

And then promptly faint...

Kirri

Sooo....

Sooo, a copper with functioning brain cells! He recognized Cathy.

What I'm amazed by is how Cathy (with adrenaline pumping) was able to do all that, without her compromised breathing getting in the way. WOW.

Danny done GOOD!

As to charges. We'll see how things turn out.

Thanks,
Annette

Thank goodness Trish fixed Cathy's compromised breathing.

Otherwise Cathy could not have done it.

of course she wouldn't have even been there so the stuff would have been stolen.

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

“I know you from somewhere, don’t I?”

I would have thought every copper in the county would have known her from 'everywhere' by now.

Still I like the outcome.

Must confess though, I'm getting heartily sick of burglars and thieves trying to sue for damages if and when the come to some misfortune whilst about their nefarious activities.

Nice one Cathy.

OXOXOX.

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Sadly, in the UK at least

if you use excessive force (and a gun is almost always excessive force) to defend you and yours, that's murder or GBH and you can be sent down for it. Often, the villain has more rights than the victim.

Nice one Cathy; you'll probably be arrested for defending yourself.

S.

News Worthyness

I'm surprised that a reporter has started reporting on the adventures of Super Cathy YET.

Huggles
Chelle_MM

Don't mess with that banker's

Don't mess with that banker's wife!

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Nailed it!!!

Precisely 1, count em 1, severely damaged thug! OK, so I got the wrong one, but still!

Battery.jpg

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1817

Love how Danny was ready to protect his Mummy.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Surprising how the villians are able to think so quickly about

accusing their victims of assult. Is the UK "justice" system at the point where it's automatic? Glad Cathy has the bruises to show. And of course that she happens to work in the building while they I'm sure had no legitimate business there. (Plus she's Cathy Cameron who police know not to fool around with.)

Of course

They were just innocent by standers. They found the door open and were just checking for problems. They thought she was the thief and she attacked them so they were just defending themselves. If they were actually moving any equipment, it was for safe keeping to prevent someone else from stealing it.

My What A Brave Boy.

Oh, um and Cathy also. How old is the boy, 9?

Gwendolyn

Danny

is in high school, I want to guess he is about 15. Maybe 14? (I have been wrong in the past of course.)

Another great trick

The old bash the wrists trick usually works, if you can get the momentum and jar that nerve ganglion into letting go. Another one that really works well..... A huge majority of grip strength is actually located in your little finger. But since it is smaller and fairly easy to find, grab it hard and rip it back away from the center of what it is holding, like the hand is opening. Surprisingly easy to snap it right at the joint, which pretty much renders it useless, and hurts preety good.

Ending a life

Lots of us here write about shooting the bad guys and it's ok, because we all know it is not real.

Years ago, I nearly ended the lives of assailants on two different occasions. I was protecting my wife once, and another time I was protecting myself. I would have done it and knew it then

Skip ahead to a couple months ago. My roommates were fighting and she ran into my room. He stayed in the hall. I contemplated picking my pistol up. It took me a couple weeks to get over the incident. Subsequently, I have decided that my circumstances would have to be extremely dire before I will ever think of it again. The knowlege that I really did think about killing another human being is really awful