Perspectives: 05

Printer-friendly version

Josie

We plan our campaign
Perspectives:
a novel with eight voices

by Louise Anne Smithson

Jenny — sister of Joe (Saturday 23rd July 2011)

The twins and I have invested a lot of time and effort into our costumes and our dance routine. It would be a disaster if we were not now able to attend the convention. I’m sure that if I were to be left alone with Joe for an hour I’d be able to persuade him to co-operate. However, before Mum drove us home on Friday, she took me to one side and ‘suggested’ in a serious voice that nothing more should be said to him on the subject, until the following lunch time.

‘But Mum, this competition is really important to all of us, and he has the answer to our problem in his own hands’.

‘I know, but you’re asking quite a lot from him and so you will have to let him make up his mind in his own time’.

‘I’m sure that I’d do the same for him in other circumstances.’

‘That may be so, dear, but let him decide.

‘I don’t see that it is any great issue; he may even find that he enjoys himself,’ I said

‘Maybe so, but please let him decide for himself,’ she said.

I felt so frustrated in the car going home, not knowing whether I should be trying to plead with him or merely order him not to be such a wimp. Mum did have a quiet talk with him in his bedroom later on, but she wasn’t trying to put any pressure but merely to find out his thoughts and answer any questions.

‘What did he say,’ I asked Mum later that night.

‘I believe he’s very much in two minds whether to agree or not. He has no other plans for the weekend and he would like to be friends with the others. He certainly doesn’t wish to be the cause of you all having to cancel your weekend. However, he’s worried about what people will say if they find out that he entered a competition dressed as a girl.’

‘But that is so stupid, it’s only a fancy dress competition after all, who cares what other people might think?’ I said.

‘I know dear, but it is different for boys — it somehow goes to the root of their gender identity.’

‘Hmph, he doesn’t have any gender identity?’ I replied scornfully.

‘That attitude isn’t going to help you.’

‘I suppose you’re right, but what did you say to him?’

‘I told him that he made a very convincing girl earlier this evening and that I don’t think anyone else would be likely to find out. However, it was up to him to decide, and not to let himself be bullied by you or your friends.’

‘Thanks a lot,’ I replied.

‘I did also say that if he was willing to go then we’d all promise to help him, as much as we could.’

‘Alright then, I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what he decides.’

Nothing more was said by me to Joe concerning the convention until our group met once again for lunch today, although my friends and I had been frantically texting one another with the latest developments. I told them that Mum had rung her manager and arranged to reschedule her week so she could take the following Friday as leave. He also had no objections to her using the firm’s car during the weekend. However, as a result of the changes she would now have to leave home for her business trip after lunch on Sunday and would be away until the Thursday night. If necessary, I would have to look after my brother for four nights, and was busy planning what I might do to him during that period if he refuses to co-operate. Mum did say that she would be happier if we both were to stay at Jean’s house until she got back.

Sue told me that her mother had been in touch with the organisers of the Convention and explained the situation regarding Denise and her mother. They would be happy to substitute any names in the competition and would also amend the room bookings as necessary, but needed to know all the details by the following Monday morning when the brochures were due to be finalised.

I managed to scrounge a lift in to Crawley this morning from one of our neighbours and so I was able to join Karen and Jenny when they called in to commiserate with Denise in Crawley Hospital. Her family is wealthy and so we found her occupying a private room, where she was waiting for her operation later that evening.

‘How long are you going to be in here for?’ asked Karen.

‘If all goes well, I should be out by next Wednesday, but I’ll still have my stitches in and the doctor insists that I won’t be fit enough to attend the convention on Friday Also it’ll be a few weeks before I can do any dancing.’

‘You must be really disappointed,’ said Sue.

‘Yes,’ she answered sadly. ‘Mum bought me this lovely long Edwardian-style dress , complete with matching underclothes especially for the costume competition on Saturday evening. I’m not sure when I’ll get to wear it now’.

‘We may all have to drop out of that competition, unless Jenny’s mother can take us, and I fear that the Spice Girls idea will also have to abandoned without your presence,’ said Karen.

‘Surely there’s someone else who could take my place next week. They would be welcome to borrow my costume?’

‘It would need to be someone whose parents had a big car and would be willing to take us all as Mum doesn’t drive. Can you think of anyone?’ asked Karen.

‘Not really, at least nobody that we like, and who is also my dress size’ she said.

Sue looked at her sister and myself.

‘Are we going to tell her?’ she asked.

‘Tell her what?’ asked Denise.

‘I think we’ll have to,’ I said.

‘But she must promise to keep it an absolute secret if we do,’ added Karen.

‘What secret?’ said Denise suddenly taking more of an interest.

‘We are considering a possible replacement, but you must promise to keep their identity secret, even from your mother if we tell you,’ said Sue

‘Alright, I promise; who have you got in mind?’

‘Jenny’s kid brother Joe,’ continued Sue. ‘When you failed to arrive yesterday evening, Karen persuaded him to model your blue dress, whilst she finished off the hem-line. With a little bit of padding in the right places, he is the same size as you are. He looked brilliant in the dress, particularly after we added my mother’s long black wig and a little bit of makeup.’

‘So you want young Joe to be one of the Spice Girls?’ asked Denise incredulously.

‘Believe me he could easily get away with it if he were only willing to co-operate and learn the dance steps! What’s more, if he agreed to come, then he and my mother could take the places of you and your mother and we would all have a lift to the convention,’ answered Karen.

‘You said, ‘if’; hasn’t he agreed to go ahead with the plan?’ Denise asked smiling.

‘No; not as yet, but we are all still working on him. We’ll have to sort out another suitable costume for the Saturday evening as well.’

‘Male of female?’

‘We think it might be easier and safer for him to stick to being female for the whole weekend.’

‘In that case, it is easy. You can tell him from me that if he agrees to fill my place as one of the ‘Spice Girls’ then he may also borrow my Edwardian dress on Saturday,’ said Denise.

‘That would be really brilliant. Thanks very much,’ said Karen.

‘There would be one condition, however, which is that you must all come to see me at my house for a dress rehearsal next Thursday afternoon. I should be fit enough to see you all before you leave on Friday’ she said.

‘I’ll agree provisionally, as long as Joe can be persuaded to go along with the plan,’ said Karen smiling.

‘What shall I tell Mum?’ asked Denise.

‘She doesn’t know Jenny’s mum and has never met Joe; so I suggest that you say to her that both of your costumes will be worn by Jenny’s cousin who happens to be staying with them for a couple of weeks.

‘Alright then, I’ll telephone her to say that you’ll be calling round to collect the costume later today.’

When she heard the story, Denise’s Mum was pleased to know that the other girls would not be let down as a result of her daughter’s operation, and that she needn’t feel guilty about withdrawing her offer to drive the group. She even agreed to deliver the brand new outfit to the twins’ house when she drove into Crawley later that morning. Karen then rang her mother to ensure that we all got our stories straight if Denise’s mother should accidentally meet with up with her in town.

As soon as we got back to the house, Sue and I organized some clothes which Joe might wear over the next week, if he agreed to co-operate. They were provided by the three of us, mostly things that we’d grown out of. Denise’s mother dropped off the costume and also the various tickets for the events shortly before lunch. We were expecting Mum and Joe to arrive at any minute, and everything was now in his hands.

Next time: ‘Miss Nice’, ‘Miss Reasonable’ and ‘Miss Nasty’
up
180 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Preaching to the choir

Good story but why oh why did this not happen to me?

Perspectives: Voice 5

Will Joe choose to be Jolene? If so, Will it be Jolene, or Joe who stays?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Be careful

Jenny may end up with a sister rather than a brother, think about that. Once an avalanche starts the pebbles can no longer vote to hang together. But they may like the ride. It would make a good charity of where all of the outgrown clothing can find a home.

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

OMG!!

What a self-centered, egotistical, bitch! She doesn't care in the least what could happen to Joe if he is discovered. In the real world he might be physically assaulted and end up in the hospital, perhaps even killed. And that doesn't even cover any mental effects it could have. But no, lets make us a new girly-boi. And punish him if he doesn't agree.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Yeah...

I'm just hoping that Joe decides on his own to go ahead rather than having to endure up to four days of Jenny's corrective measures. And if Jenny does force the issue, I really hope she'll have to pay for it, karmically at least, after the convention -- even if Joe discovers that he'd rather be Josie full time.

Eric

I am agreeing with

several other posters. It does appear that Jenny is not really thinking of Joe at all, but rather herself. Also on the surface there is the hint that there could be bad consequences for Joe if he does not co-operate. Not liking her much at this point.

I Got It Wrong

joannebarbarella's picture

It was appendicitis, not a broken bone. Still, that's a bummer as far as the performance is concerned.

Now, the girls have to persuade Joe to become part of their group . As this is part of a BC story I would have to guess that this won't be too difficult.