Project Guardian: Book 2, Chapter 9.

Printer-friendly version

Project Guardian.

Book two: Avenging Angel

By SaraUK

 

Chapter Nine of Fourteen


Previously...

    Alexis was in trouble with Sarah still when she woke. Alexis had been gone some time the night before when she went for the milk, and Sarah was in tears by the time she got back.

     “How long are you going to be mad with me Saz?” Alexis asked as Sarah made her way to the bathroom to take a shower before they left for college. Sarah just blanked her as she wandered into the bathroom. “I said I was sorry, but Bob called and asked me to run a quick errand for him.” Alexis repeated as her reason for being out so long the night before.

    Alexis let out a sigh as she got up off the bed and then decided she needed to put an end to Sarah’s mood, so she followed Sarah into the bathroom and then slipped out of her night clothes and stepped into the shower and pulled Sarah to her just before she started kissing her. Sarah put up a weak fight, but was soon returning the kiss and then things got a little heavier. Needles to say, Alexis was forgiven by the time they sat down to have their breakfast.

    They finished getting ready for school and then stepped out of their apartment to find police and CSI officers walking in and out of the apartment next door.

     “Miss, Miss!” A male voice called to them as they started walking down the hallway. Alexis and Sarah both stopped and turned to face the uniformed police officer who had just called them. “I’m sorry to bother you, but I just saw you leave the apartment next door to 608.”

     “Yes, we live there.” Alexis said with a puzzled look. “May I ask what happened in there?” Alexis asked as she looked at the apartment with all the people walking in and out of it.

     “We’re investigating an attack that took place at some point last night. I just wanted to ask if you heard anything around 1am.” The officer asked.

     “No, I’m sorry, but we were both in bed asleep by then officer.” Alexis said, sorry she couldn’t help. Alexis had got home just before twelve and had gone to bed with Sarah after she’d calmed Sarah down enough.

     “Was anybody hurt in the attack?” Sarah asked looking worried.

    The officer looked at Sarah for the first time properly and had to do a double take when he did. Sarah noticed the way the officer look at her, and she started to worry she’d applied her makeup oddly. “Yes a young woman was attacked while she slept. We’ve taken her to the hospital for some tests.” The officer said as he kept looking at Sarah in a strange way.

     “Why do you keep looking at my friend like that?” Alexis finally asked.

     “I’m sorry, but she looks just like the woman that was attacked in 608.” The officer said as he looked at Sarah again.

     “Did she get a look at her attacker?” Alexis asked when she saw the look Sarah now had.

    Sarah already knew what the officer meant by saying that the woman had been taken to the hospital for tests. It meant they were testing to see if she had been raped. Sarah had gone through the same things when she got raped.

     “We have a sketch artist working with her; she said she got a good look at him, as he never bothered with a mask of any sort. Once we have it done, an officer will be going door to door asking if anyone knows him.” The officer explained.

     “We’ll be at college until four, but we’ll be in all evening after that, so tell your fellow officers that we’ll be in to answer any question after that time.” Alexis said just before she led a worried looking Sarah away.

    They were down in the car before Sarah spoke. “Do you think it was Mike that did it Lexi?”

     “That’s a pretty big leap, and why would her break into the apartment next door and not ours?” Alexis asked.

     “Because he’d never break into our apartment, and if the woman next door looks like me, then he might have made a mistake.” Sarah voiced her thoughts. “Oh god Lexi. That woman could have been raped because of me.” Sarah said as she burst into tears.

     “None of this is your fault Sarah!” Alexis snapped at her. “If he did this, it’s all on him. You can’t help what the sick bastard does.” Alexis said as she pulled Sarah into a hug.

    Sarah soon calmed down and Alexis gave her a tissue to dry her eyes and then waited for her to fix her makeup before they left to get to college.

    They had a quiet day at college. Sarah looked lost in thought most of the day, and looked happy to be going home at the end of the day. Alexis had called Lana and let her know about the trouble next door and she said she’d look into it for them, and Alexis said her and Sarah wouldn’t be over tonight, as she didn’t think Sarah was up to being around to many people at the minute.

    Alexis put together a salad for them both and then grilled some chicken to go with it before joining Sarah at the table to eat it. They had just finished eating when there was a knock at the door and Alexis went to answer it. She looked through the spy hole and saw it was a uniformed police officer, so she opened the door and saw that the man officer was holding a clipboard with a sketch of a man’s face on it. Sarah had gone with her to see who it was.

     “I’m sorry to bother you, but we’re just going from door to door to see if anyone of might have seen this man hanging around in the last couple of days?” The officer asked as he held up the sketch form Alexis and Sarah to look at.

    The officer jumped when Sarah let out a scream and jumped behind Alexis and started clinging to her back like the person in the sketch was about to jump off it and attack her. Alexi could understand why Sarah was scared; the sketch was the spitting image of Mike McGarrett.

Now the story continues...

     “Do you know this man, Miss?”

     “No, she always acts this way when you show her sketches of creepy looking assholes.” Alexis snapped sarcastically. “Call these detectives and get them over here right now, they will be able to help you find the creep.” Alexis added as she handed the officer the card that Detective Riggs had given her the other night.

    The officer looked at the card and then place a call and spoke with Riggs, who said he’d be right over. The officer then helped Alexis get Sarah over to the sofa where she sat her down and then had to sit with her when Sarah wouldn’t let Alexis walk away from her. The officer put the kettle on and made a coffee for them all and sat waiting for the detectives to arrive. He then went to answer the door when there heard a knock.

     “I warned you he was dangerous didn’t I!” Sarah snapped as she threw the clipboard at the two detective’s feet when they entered the living area of the apartment where she was sat with Alexis still.

    Riggs picked up the clipboard and swore under his breath when he saw the sketch. “Let’s get a warrant out for his arrest right away.” Riggs said to his partner. “Did you get any DNA evidence from the crime scene?” He asked the uniformed officer.

     “Yes we did.” The officer said with a shaded look that said more than the words he’d just spoken.

    This seemed to make Riggs and Murtaugh smile, but it wasn’t a happy one, more of a, we’ve got him now smile.

     “We’ve got him this time Sarah.” Riggs said as he dropped down to his knees and looked Sarah in the eyes. “I said we’d get him for you, and this time he’s going down for his crimes.” Riggs added.

     “I’ll believe that when I see it, but it didn’t stop him destroying another woman’s life did it?” Sarah snapped as she broke down in sobs of tears for the poor woman in the apartment next door.

    Alexis wanted to tell the detectives where to find him, but that would mean more questions that Alexis wasn’t ready to answer, so she kept quiet and let the police go and earn their pay for once. Alexis knew he wouldn’t be hard to find as he’d been at his penthouse at the hotel all day, and was still there when she checked just after the police left to go looking for him.

     “I need you to promise me something Lexi.” Sarah said as she looked Alexis in the eyes.

     “I’ll do anything for you baby.” Alexis said as she looked Sarah right back looking very serious. “Just name it.”

     “I want you to promise me that you’ll kill that bastard if he gets away with this one.” Sarah growled. “I don’t want him to ever hurt another woman for as long as he lives.” Sarah said just before bursting into tears again.

     “I give you my word Sarah. Mike McGarrett will never hurt another woman, or anyone for that matter. I’ll kill him the minute he sets foot outside the jail.” Alexis said as she rocked Sarah in her arms.


*****

     Mike McGarrett had no idea what was going on when he opened his penthouse door and was tackled to the ground and cuffed before he knew what hit him. Some man in a suit saying he was a detective waved a piece of paper in his face saying it was a warrant to search the place for evidence to do with an assault. Mike looked up at the guy and thought he looked familiar to him, but he couldn’t work out where from to start with. It came back to him once they had him on his feet and looking at the detective from a better angle.

     “What are you talking about? I’ve not assaulted anyone.” Mike spat out as he tried pulling on the handcuffs like he could snap them if he tugged hard enough.

     “You were arrested a couple of days ago for assaulting a woman on a college campus, the same campus we told you to move away from yesterday, then a woman in the same apartment block as she lives gets attacked, and she gave us a sketch of you being her attacker.” Detective Riggs said as he showed him the sketch the woman had done.

     “That’s all a lie! I’d never let them see my face if I was going to do anything like that.” Mike said before he thought through what he was saying.

     “Really? So where were you between the hours of one am and three am this morning?” Riggs asked with some anger in his voice.

     “I don’t remember.” Mike said. “I woke up here in my room covered in scratches.” He added when he saw the detective looking at the scratchers down the side of his face.

     “Get him down the station; I want the rest of this on tape.” Riggs said as he pushed Mike towards a couple of uniformed officers who didn’t look happy with what he was being arrested for, so they weren’t very gentle with him as they led him through the hotel towards the waiting squad car parked out front.

    Mike tried to get his father to send a lawyer to help get him out of jail, but his father said he was on his own this time, so Mike ended up with a court appointed one that really didn’t look like he wanted to help Mike once he saw all the evidence the police had against him.

    The police had Mike’s car driving away from the apartment block at just before three am, his skin was found under the victims fingernails, they found hair samples in the victims bed, and worst of all for Mike, his semen was found in the victim.

    Mike tried to tell them he’d been set up, but the police dragged out all the other cases of rape that had been filed against him and then been mysteriously dropped after witnesses changed their story, or tests came back negative. Mike’s lawyer adviced him to plead guilty and take any deal they were willing to offer, but Mike being as pig headed as he was said he didn’t do it and wanted his day in court.

    His day in court came, and it did him no good as the evidence against him was so great that it took one day to be heard and the jury took less than an hour to convict him. Mike was led away screaming he was set up. Two women sat in the back of the courtroom smiling as they watched him being dragged away sobbing like a baby as he screamed his innocence.

    Alexis and Sarah left the court room smiling at each other, happy to finally see the bastard go down for the crime he should have been charged with all those years ago when him and his friends first raped Sarah.

     “I said we’d get him for you Sarah.” A male voice said from just behind them.

    Sarah and Alexis turned to see Detective Riggs and Murtaugh stood behind them smiling. “Yes you did detectives, and I’m sorry for ever doubting you.” Sarah said as she stepped over and gave each of them a hug.

     “I’m just sorry that some of our fellow officers were open to being bribed, but we’re looking into all the other cases that were closed.” Riggs said with a frown for the people that let this animal stay on the street for so long. “We’ve already been contacted by a couple of victims who want their case reopened.” Riggs added looking happy about that.

     “I’m just sorry it took him raping another woman to finally put him behind bars where he belongs.” Sarah said, feeling bad for the poor woman that got raped by him instead of her that night, not that he would have got away with it, not with Alexis there.

     “Rebecca’s a strong woman and she’s responding well to counselling.” Murtaugh informed them.

     “I know that, Lexi and I have been helping her get her life back together.” Sarah informed the detective.

    Sarah had dragged Lexi next door just after it all happened and sat down with Rebecca and told her what happened to her, and they both hugged each other and sobbed. They had both been checking on Rebecca since then and helping her where they could. Rebecca had seemed like a much stronger person than Sarah had been, and she was soon getting her life back together, which made Sarah feel much better.

     “Speaking of Rebecca, we better see about getting off and meeting up with her for a celebration drink.” Alexis said looking at her watch. “Do you want to join us for one?” Alexis asked, but hoped they would say no.

     “We’d like to, but sadly we’re still on duty, and have to get back down the precinct.” Riggs said with a sigh.

     “Well thank you again for putting that monster behind bars.” Sarah said as she gave each of the detectives another hug to thank them.

    The two detectives smiled as they hugged Sarah and Alexis, before they stood and watched the two women walk away.


*****

    Sarah looked a little puzzled when she saw where Alexis was taking them. “Why are we going to the apartment Lexi?”

     “That’s where Rebecca is going to be meeting us for that drink.” Alexis informed Sarah.

     “I thought we’d just let our hair down and go to a bar.” Sarah pouted.

     “We need to have a talk about some things, and I wanted to do it in a place where no one could overhear anything.” Alexis said sounding cryptic.

    Sarah was a little puzzled by all this, but she trusted Alexis, so she just sat back and smiled as she thought about Mike being some big guys girlfriend in prison. She found herself wondering how he would like being forced to have sex against his will. She was also feeling free for the first time in years, thanks to Mike now being where he should have been put after he raped her. Sarah knew it wasn’t her rape that finally got him off the street, but he was put away for it none the less.

    Alexis was soon pulling into the underground car park and then she helped Sarah get out the car and up to their apartment. Alexis sent Sarah to get the wine out the refrigerator while she called Rebecca and let her know they were home again. After what Mike had done to Rebecca, she didn’t need to be there for most of the trial, so she was only next door when Alexis called her. Alexis had no sooner ended the call, than there was a knock and she opened the door to see a woman that could be Sarah’s sister stood there smiling at her.

     “We got the bastard then!” Were Rebecca’s first words when Alexis opened the door.

     “Yes we did, and he was crying like a baby when he was dragged away.” Alexis informed Rebecca as she let her in the apartment.

     “How does that make you feel Sarah?” Rebecca asked when she saw Sarah holding a bottle of wine and three glasses in her other hand.

     “I finally feel free, like a large weight has been lifted from me and justice had finally been served.” Sarah grinned as she walked over and placed the wine and glasses on the table before she stepped over to Rebecca and hugged her. “How do you feel about it all?” Sarah asked Rebecca.

     “I feel the same way Sarah, but I need to tell you some things now the court case is over.” Rebecca said as she first looked at Sarah and then at Alexis like she was looking for her okay to say something.

     “I think we better sit down and have a drink before we start explaining everything to you.” Alexis said to Sarah and she helped her take a seat on one of the sofas in the room, while she sorted out pouring them all a glass of wine out.

     “What’s going on?” Sarah asked looking worried.

     “It’s nothing to worry about Sarah, but we need to come clean on a couple of details we’ve been keeping from you these past couple of months.” Alexis said sounding a little nervous.

     “What details?” Sarah asked.

     “Mike never raped me Sarah.” Rebecca said looking just as nervous as Alexis did.

     “What? But how did you manage to fool them into thinking he had, and all the scratches he had when the police found him?” Sarah asked in shock.

     “Rebecca is the sister of another girl Mike raped, but she took her own life when the police wouldn’t believe her.” Alexis explained. “Lana tracked her down and explained what we planned to do, but we would need her help to make it work.” Alexis added.

     “I jumped at the chance to make that bastard pay for what he did, and the fact we looked like each other made the plan even easier to pull off.” Rebecca grinned. “I’m sorry I lied to you, but I sat for hours with my younger sister as she told me what it felt like to be raped, that’s why I could feel what you had gone through.” Rebecca added looking worried that Sarah would hate her now she knew the truth.

     “I still don’t understand how you pulled it all off, and why you kept me in the dark about it all.” Sarah said looking both confused and hurt at the same time.

     “We needed your reactions to it all to look as real as we could make them, so I made the call to keep you in the dark until it was all over and he was finally behind bars where you wanted him.” Alexis said as she reached out to hold Sarah’s hand expecting her to pull away, but she didn’t, and actually smiled at Alexis when she did.

     “Thank you for doing all that for me, and for Rebecca’s sister.” Sarah said just before she leaned over and kissed Alexis. “Do I get to find out how you built such a convincing case against him?” Sarah asked with a grin.

     “Do you remember how I went back out to get Milk the night it all happened?” Alexis asked.

     “Yes, but you said you got called out on a mission for... your Uncle Bob.” Sarah said what she remembered of that night and how she’d got scared for Alexis safety and was in tears when Alexis finally got home.

     “I wanted Mike to follow me, so I could drug him and then set up the scene for the rape. I called Rebecca and let her know it was going to happen that night, and we got everything set up.” Alexis giggled as she thought about the fun Rebecca had scratching the hell out of Mike’s face and chest.

     “It felt so good when I started scratching him, I was sad when Lexi made me stop.” Rebecca pouted.

     “How did you get his seman in you?” Sarah asked with a strange look on her face as she thought about the only way she could think of.

     “Not like you think honey!” Rebecca said looking just as freaked out about that thought as Sarah did. “We used a turkey baster.” Rebecca giggled.

    This little fact made Sarah giggle. “But how did you get his semen and other things that the police used as evidence against him in the trial?”

     “I got it all the night I planted the tracker on him at the hotel.” Alexis explained. “Rebecca had a mask on to make her look like Mike when she drove his car back to the hotel and left it in the parking lot. “The guys took care of all the other cameras that might have caught something we didn’t want anyone to see.” Alexis added with a grin.

    Sarah had already worked out Rebecca knew some of what Alexis did for a living, but not all of it by the way Alexis had just said the guys, and not Bill and Ted. So she didn’t say anything about the base, or Alexis’ super powers. “Why did the police never connect the fact you were a relative to one of his other rape victims?” Sarah asked a she looked at Rebecca.

     “His father made it all go away, so he did the hard work for us on that one. A fact I intend to point out to him just as soon as I can.” Rebecca said with an evil grin.

     “Won’t that let him know more than we want him to know?” Sarah asked looking worried he could get out again.

     “The only way he could do that would be to own up to him raping my sister, and the fact his father helped cover it all up, so it’s a win win situation from our point of view.” Rebecca pointed out. “Not that anyone would believe him in the first place.” Rebecca added.

     “That would lead to the details of your rape coming out and then his father would face prison time as well, a fact that Mike’s father will be finding out about now.” Alexis said as she looked at her watch. “The old man wanted to make sure Mike’s father didn’t try anything to get his son out early, and he also made sure McGarrett construction wouldn’t be getting any of that government building work either.” Alexis pointed out to a now grinning Sarah.

     “I know I should be a little mad with you Lexi, but you’ve done far more than I could ever have hoped for.” Sarah smiled.

     “The whole set up only worked because of how real you made it all look.” Alexis said as she pulled Sarah into a hug.

     “It’s nice to feel like I finally beat him and his father.” Sarah said as she let Alexis hug her. “What will you do now Rebecca?” Sarah asked.

     “I’m going to return home and let my parents know we finally got the bastard.” Rebecca said with a grin.

     “Won’t your parents ask questions?” Sarah asked looking worried.

     “No, they will just be glad to see him behind bars.” Rebecca said with a smile. “I told them when Lana first tracked me down that I would get him, but they could never ask me how, when it happened. They just told me to do whatever it took to make him pay for taking the life of my sister.”

     “I’m sorry about your sister.” Sarah said as she got up and gave Rebecca a hug. “I know how she felt, I came close to taking my life a couple of times, but a friend stopped me from doing anything like that.” Sarah said as she looked over at Alexis and thought about the fact she wanted to spend time with Alex, even if he was dead, was the only thing that kept her going, back in those dark days.

    Rebecca packed up her things and returned to her home town just like she said, and Alexis and Sarah returned to living at the base with the others. They kept the apartment as a cover, but for the time being they didn’t see a reason to keep using it, apart from when the two of them felt like getting away from the others for a night.

    Life got back to normal again. Alexis caught Tammy and Melissa playing dress up a couple more times and they ended up being punished for it. One of the times they were playing dress up in Alexi’s large collection of swim suits, so they ended up swimming laps in the pool. Another time they were pretending to be guardians. They were only dressed in a couple of normal black cat Suits that Alexis owned, not her real uniforms; they were all locked away in a room that the two girls couldn’t get into. Alexis had them back in the training room doing the assault course.

    Tammy and Melissa had started to get better at playing dress up without being caught by their mother, but the two girls never did work out that Alexis was watching them on camera. Tammy and Melissa started to take pictures on their mobiles, and they would only play dress up from one section of clothing at a time, putting everything back just how they found it. A little trick Alexis had told them about during a training session while they talked about useful skills to remember while out on a mission.

     “Do you ever use that method Lexi?” Tammy asked as they jogged around the track in the training room.

     “Lexi doesn’t need a camera, she has a photographic memory.” Sarah said between gasping for breath.

     “That must be such a cool gift to have.” Tammy said in awe. “Will I have that gift as well? Once I’m a guardian?” Tammy asked looking hopeful.

     “Afraid not Tam. That little gift is something I was born with, just like Alice was born with hers.” Alexis explained to the now sad looking Tammy. “Alice makes my photographic memory look lame with what she can do.” Alexis added looking a little jealous of her sister to make Tammy feel better.


*****

    Alice and Alexis kept going out on missions, and they all trained together in the off time between them. It was getting close to the time Tammy would be going away to have her surgery to make her a girl, and Alexis and the others were going to miss the three of them. Bob thought about getting a team of surgeons in to do the operations in the operating theatre at the base, but then thought it better to have Tammy go to a couple of different places to have the work done instead. He thought there would be zero chance of someone being able to use it against them later on down the line. He also wanted Tammy to have some time to recover after it, so he’d sorted for Maggie and the girls to take a trip and see some of America after Tammy had recovered enough to travel.


*****

    Alexis and Sarah stepped off the elevator to the sound of Lana screaming at someone, so Alexis went to make sure her and Alice weren’t arguing. She saw Tammy and Melissa poking their heads around a corner trying to see what was going on. Both girls jumped and let out a scream when Alexis touched them on the back.

     “Where did you come from Lexi?” Tammy squealed. This always made Alexis giggle, because Tammy’s voice always jumped in pitch when she was scared, making her sound even more like a real girl.

     “Just got back from college.” Alexis said as she pointed down the hallway at the elevator. “What’s got Lana shouting?” Alexis asked as she looked around the corner to see what Tammy and Melissa had been looking at.

     “Not too sure Lexi. Uncle Bob called her and Alice into his office to talk about an upcoming mission, and then before we knew it, Lana was screaming at Uncle Bob and calling him every name under the sun.” Melissa explained what they knew.

     “I better go and find out what’s going on then, before Lana tries to kill him.” Alexis said as she heard Lana shout another load of abuse at the old man. “Sarah, can you take Tam and Mel down to our place and keep an eye on them while I find out what’s going on?” Alexis asked as she pulled Sarah closer for a kiss before she ventured into the lions den, or lioness’s den by the sounds of it, Alexis thought to herself.

     “That’s gross.” Melissa whined as she and Tammy were forced to watch the show of affection between the two women.

     “Give it a couple more years and you’ll be thinking something else.” Lexi grinned as she turned the two girls around and playfully slapped them on the bottoms before sending them on their way.

     “I’ll be too busy fighting the bad guys to worry about love.” Tammy said as she did some silly looking air punch.

     “Wait until the hormones kick in and then see if you feel the same way.” Alexis pointed out with a grin.

     “I wish they would kick in.” Tammy pouted as she looked down at her chest.

     “They will soon enough missy.” Sarah giggled as she started leading the two girls away, so Alexis could get into Bob’s office and find out what the mission was, and why Lana was having a screaming fit at Bob about it.

    Alexis thought about knocking on the door to Bob’s office, but in the end she just turned the handle and walked in to find Bob sat behind his desk looking up at a very angry looking Lana with her fists balled on the desk as she leaned over screaming at him.

     “You can’t be seriously thinking about sending Alice into that place Bob!” Lana snapped. “She won’t be able to think straight working with them, never mind carry out a mission.” Lana added as she growled at Bob, who wasn’t snapping back, which Alexis always took as a bad sign.

     “I know how you feel Lana, and I wish there was another way, but Alice is the only one that can go in there and pull this off.” Bob said in a calm voice.

     “I get that bit Bob, but asking her to go in as herself is mad.” Lana snapped as she sat next to a worried looking Alice.

     “What’s going on?” Alexis asked as she went over to sit the other side of Alice.

    Bob and Lana both looked worried when they realised that Alexis had entered the room without either of them noticing. Alexis didn’t miss the worried looks they both had when they saw her, and the fact that Alice reached out to pull Alexis down to her in a form of a protected hug.

     “What’s this mission, and why do you want Alice to go in as herself?” Alexis asked when she saw that Bob and Lana were just going to keep looking at each other and not answer her questions.

     “It was your idea old man, so be my guest and explain it to Lexi why don’t you.” Lana said as she scowled at Bob with murder in her eyes.

     “Will someone please tell me what’s going on?” Alexis said looked at the two of them again getting angry herself now.

     “We’ve been asked.” Bob said just before Lana made a strange sound that said she didn’t agree with his choice of words. “We’ve been ordered to look into the leak of some top secret information to do with the next generation guidance systems for our missiles.” Bob rephrased his answer to Alexis’s question.

     “Okay, but what’s got Lana so worked up?” Alexis asked, still not following the problem. It sounded like a hundred other missions her and Alice had been on before.

     “You’ve not heard where this mission is being carried out Lexi.” Lana said with a sick sounding laugh. “Tell her that little detail.

    Alexis was waiting for Bob to say some foreign country, but what Bob said next left Alexis with no doubt as to why Lana had been shouting at Bob when she got back from college.

     “The mission is at Diablo Tech Incorporated.” Bob said with a sigh as he readied himself for the blow out Alexis was about to have. Alexis not one to disappoint was quickly on her feet again and leaning over Bob’s desk, as she did just that and had a blow out right in Bob’s face.

     “You can’t ask her to go in there and work in the same building as those people, never mind asking me to play backup and have to deal with them.” Alexis shouted as she ground her fists into Bob’s desk, making the desk creek under the pressure.

    The reason for Alice looking scared and Alexis having such a bad reaction to the place Bob wanted Alice to work, was due to Diablo Tech Incorporated being the company their parents now worked for, and Alice not having anything to do with them since a week after she found out Alex had died in prison. Alice had not wanted a thing to do with either of them since then, and that was almost six years ago now.

     “He’s not just asking her to work in the same building Lexi, he’s asking her to work in the same lab alongside both your parents.” Lana explained a few more details.

     “Now I know you’ve gone insane old man. How can you ask my sister to do that?” Alexis asked in a much calmer voice, as she fought the urge to pull Bob over the desk and shake some sense into him.

     “I’m not, her country is.” Bob said using his favourite playing card in this little dance he sometimes had with his team. It just never normally involved him fighting with all three of them, and he wasn’t sure it was a good idea to send Alice and Alexis on this mission himself.

     “That’s a lame line and you know it.” Alexis said as she folded her arms across her chest and gave Bob a frown to let him know just how lame she thought it really was. “Why don’t the government just close down the program and start again with better checks on the people working on the project.” Alexis asked.

     “They’ve sunk to much money into this project to just shut it down and start again, and they’re eager to find out who the mole is selling the information.” Bob explained.

     “Do you think it could be one of our parents?” Alexis asked.

     “I’m not sure, but they are two of only four people that have the clearance to access all the data.” Bob said looking worried that Alice and Alexis could be turning over their own parents to the government as traitors.

     “I won’t feel any great loss if it does turn out to be them.” Alexis said with a shrug. “I’m dead to them anyway, so why should I care.” Alexis added as she took a seat next to Alice again.

     “I know how you feel sis, but they’re still our parents.” Alice said looking torn between doing her job and protecting her parents.

     “They’re not my parents remember? I was disowned by them seven years ago.” Alexis said with some anger in her voice. “I’ll back you up if you decide to take this mission sis, and I will back you up if you decide to pass on this one.” Alexis said as she wrapped an arm around Alice and gave her a hug.

     “There’s more on the line than our pride sis. I think we need to do this for our country like Bob said.” Alice had a pleading look in her eyes as she looked at her sister.

     “I’m worried about you coming face to face with them after all this time sis.” Alexis said referring to them being their parents.

     “I’ve found out more about myself since I left home six years ago, and it might be fun showing them both up with just how much smarter I am than them now.” Alice said as she gave it more thought and realised it could be fun rubbing their faces in the fact that she was being asked to help out with the project. Alice’s cover as a genius would mean she’d be able to play herself on this mission, but it would limit the amount of role playing Alexis would be able to do, due to Alice being the smarter one of the two.

     “You’ll need to be extra careful on this mission though sis. Security will be extra tight, so me getting to you could take extra time.” Alexis said as she started to form a plan.

     “I can’t believe the two of you are seriously thinking about this.” Lana said as she looked at the two sisters planning out the mission. Not that they looked like sisters with Alexis still wearing her college mask.

     “Does this mean you won’t be helping on this mission then Lana?” Alice asked.

     “If you stand any chance of pulling this off, then you will need all the help you can get.” Lana said Looking hurt at the fact Alice could even think she wouldn’t help. I’m just glad Maggie and the girls will be away while we carry this mission out. The last thing we need is the distraction of two teenage girls running around getting under foot.” Lana added.

    Tammy was going to be leaving to have her sex reassignment surgery done in a couple of days, which meant Alexis and Alice could give their full attention to the mission, but for the next couple of days they wanted to spend as much time as they could with the two girls. They had even planned another shopping trip and an evening at the movies.

     “Well it looks like we get to see mum and dad again sis.” Alexis said trying to sound happy, but Alice could tell by the tone of her sister’s voice that she felt anything but happy.


*****

    They all spent the next two days doing fun stuff with Tammy, Melissa and Maggie before the three of them left for the clinic that would be doing the surgery on Tammy to make her a girl. They went shopping at the mall again, or malls as it was. They went to the movies and enjoyed a couple of movies, and Alice, Alexis and Lana even found time to look at information on Diablo Tech Incorporated.

    It was soon time for Tammy, Melissa and Maggie to leave. They all had to say their goodbyes in the base, due to Bob not wanting anyone to see them all together just before Maggie and the girls left on the plane that would take them to a air strip near the clinic being used.

     “I won’t lie to you Tam, it’s going to be painful and sore for a bit, but it will get better, and you will feel like a whole new woman when you get back.” Alexis said with a grin as she gave Tammy a hug and then she hugged Melissa and Maggie.

     “I hope I do, or what’s the point of going through it all.” Tammy said with a nervous giggle. “Try and keep out of trouble while I’m gone.” Tammy added with a worried look towards Alexis.

     “I’d like to say I will, but this mission is going to be a tough one for me and Alice. Meeting the parents after all this time.” Alexis pointed out.

    They all shed a few tears and then they let Maggie and the girls leave in the elevator on a Sunday afternoon. Once they had left, Alexis and the others all gathered in the coms room to do some final research on the company where Alice and Alexis’s parents worked, ready for Alice going there the next morning with Alexis disguised as an assistant so she was close by if Alice got into trouble while she was at Diablo Tech.

     “Are you sure you’re ready to do this sis?” Alexis asked Alice as they all sat in Alexis and Sarah’s living room on the Sunday night.

     “I’m not sure I’ll ever be ready to face them again sis, but it will help to know I have you close by.” Alice smiled as she looked over at her identical twin. “I wonder if mum would still be able to tell us apart if you switched places with me at some point?” Alice asked as an afterthought.

     “Let’s not find out shall we.” Lana said looking worried. “The last thing we need is your parents kicking up a stink over the fact they think Alex may still be alive, even if he is now a very hot looking girl.” Lana added the last bit with a grin on her face as she pulled Alice a little closer.

    They all got an early night ready for the mission to start the next day. Sarah was going to be helping Lana out in coms with Bill and Ted, so they all went to bed early.

 

To Be Continued Next Sunday  

 

Story by SaraUK

 

Edited and Posted by SamanthaK

    EDITORS NOTE: Please Comment and/or leave Kudos and let Sara know you like her work please, Any comments on spelling, grammar or the layout of the story please PM me “Samanthak” not Sara. Thank you

up
164 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So relieved!

I thought perhaps you were bringing this to an end, and then you not only continued the story, but brought in the possible answers to some questions I had been wondering about! Very well done, and I am so looking forward to the next episode!

Wren

Great Chapter

What a great chapter! I love the way they took down Mike. And what a set up for a great confrontation with Alice & Alexis's parents. I really await the coming chapters with great anticipation.

Keep up the good work! <3

Mark

This promises to be interesting

For Alice & Alexis' sakes, I hope that their parents don't turn out to be the bad guys. I really like how Mike got his.

Thank you.

Well Mike was technically framed for this last one

.... but what the hey :)

The longer this dragged on, the longer Sarah's life would have been held hostage to this creep.

I like the way Alice will get to confront her parents and in an indirect way, Lexi will find out too. The fact both her parents have clearances, well they just let anyone have them, don't they.

It has been a long time since they have communicated so it will be interesting to seen if their parents are still the shits they were before.

Kim

Ze parents

I can see that the next few chapters are going to be eenteresting...


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Heated

revolution's picture

Loving the intensity in the story. This story is one of my Favorite stories Sara.

Can't wait to read the next Chapter.

Arrrgh

there, now that my primal scream is out I feel better, this hanger is a great one .....you never fail to deliver but I go silently nuts until friday when I go shoot off about 50 rounds of ammo then I can make it to sunday for my next fix.... keep up the good work Sara Im glad you didnt quit writing

Great story as usual

Interesting and tense times coming up. Roll on Friday (YHIAW) and Sunday (PG).

Mike needs to understand that everything has its price. If it costs most of a life, then so be it. Rape is Theft with violence; it destroys self worth and can lead to suicide. It should be punished to the max.

S.

Project Guardian: Book 2, Chapter 9.

With Mike gone, somebody just comes in with another bit of drama to make the new assignment a soap opera. Waiting for more!

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine