Melting Ice

Printer-friendly version

Where do you find a diamond in Belgium? In Antwerp, of course; the diamond capital of the world.

After putting my violin and bow into the case, I helped to tidy the rehearsal room. I said goodbye to the other members of the orchestra. As usual, some acknowledged; most didn’t. All kept a discreet distance. I sighed, then smiled inwardly; I was looking forward to two weeks holiday away from the tension and the lonely life I led in England.

Tick tock.

I’ve stood on the platform at lots of railway stations and shivered. Many don’t have a toilet, some don’t have a waiting room or even a shelter; if it rains, you get drowned. Even in the spring and autumn there’s often still a chill in the air. I can’t be the only person who has wondered why these places seem to attract freezing winds, usually when there’s a delay due to “leaves on the line“ or “the wrong kind of snow”. New England has leaves a-plenty and Switzerland has enough snow to hide a battleship; I don’t hear those excuses.

In the winter, you wish for something like Belgian Railways precision. The high-speed Eurostar started its journey in London St. Pancras and delivered me on time to Brussels about two hours later, where the train for the onward journey was due to depart at 15:30.

It did.

Grand Central Terminal in New York is world-famous, cavernous, classic, stunning and has that ‘WOW’ factor as soon as you see it. With forty four platforms and sixty-seven tracks, it’s the largest rail station in the world. Antwerp Central Station vies with St Pancras in London as the most beautiful architectural gem on the European rail network. It looks more like a large town hall, nothing like a railway terminus at all from the outside, but still had that ‘WOW’ factor when I first saw it.

I expected to be in Antwerp for a few days, after which I’d planned to explore the lovely cities of Bruges and Ghent.

Tick tock.

The antique clock had always hung on the wall of my grandparent’s living-room and I wrongly assumed that it had been a gift to them. In my grandfather’s will, he requested that it be returned to its rightful owner in Belgium. That was a surprise, and easier said than done; still, as executrix of his will — my grandmother had passed on and my parents had died in a car accident a few years before - I felt it my duty to try. During the Second World War, grandfather had driven a Sherman Crab flail tank through northern Europe and ended up in Antwerp, a site then of horrendous devastation as a result of hostilities. He found the clock, not working but otherwise surprisingly relatively unscathed, in a pile of rubble that used to be a large house on the corner of Rembrandtstraat. My grandfather had ‘rescued’ it as a war souvenir, arranged for its restoration and fully intended to return it, but long-term illness, in the form of frequent bronchitis and emphysema from sleeping under a Sherman tank for months on end, prevented that from happening.

Tick tock.

I’d spent hours on the Internet and in correspondence with various people and eventually made arrangements to visit in person. I wanted the clock to be a surprise, as I hoped it would lead to new friendships; God knows how hard I’d tried over the years. It did no good, though; I was always an outsider.

Tick tock.

I hid the clock as best I could on the journey, partly because I didn’t want to have to explain it to various officials along the way and, partly, because the said officials might misconstrue my intentions. They might order its destruction, assuming that it was something other than what it purported to be.

We recognised each other from our descriptions and photographs when Jacob Beckers and I met the next morning at the bottom of the main staircase at Antwerp Central Station. His photo didn’t do him justice (think Matt Damon) and my heart started beating wildly as he took my hand and led me to a coffee shop. As with many people from that area, his English was impeccable. My heart eventually returned to something approximating a normal rhythm but, every time we glanced at each other, or he spoke to me, I was distracted. We were so at ease with one another that it almost seemed like we’d been best friends for years. I could almost feel tension lift from my shoulders.

Tick tock.

“What are your plans?” He eventually asked, once we were settled with drinks in front of us.

“I… I was planning to spend a few days here before going to explore Bruges and Ghent,” I hesitantly replied.

“Was?” he asked, perceptively.

“I don’t want to leave Antwerp now.”

“I don’t want you to go,” he replied, warmly.

“You feel it as well?”

“Indeed I do,” he said, gazing into my eyes. Then, after a few moments, he asked, “May I show you my city?”

“Yes please; that would be lovely, but I will need to extend my stay at the Hilton Hotel.”

“Stay with us.”

“Us?”

“My parents and I.”

“I couldn’t do that; it’s an imposition.”

“No; we’d be delighted. Perhaps you could play for us? My mother is a pianist.” He chuckled, produced a mobile phone and made a call. After a short conversation in fluent Flemish, he said, “It is done.”

I’d brought my violin; daily practice was essential if I was to maintain my position in the orchestra. I’d mentioned that I played; he’d told me that he was an architect.

We finished our coffees and walked out with my arm entwined in his. We found a taxi which took us to an apartment, in a building opposite the Stadspark, where I was welcomed like the Prodigal.

We spent the rest of my time in Antwerp visiting some of the main attractions; St Paul’s church, Het Steen medieval fortress, the Courts, the Zoo, Rubens House. We had lunch at a table outside a bistro not far from the extensive modern pedestrianised shopping area. We marvelled at the talents of the street entertainers, we walked hand in hand in the parks, we dined at street cafés.

Over lunch one day, towards the end of my stay, I hesitantly said, “Jacob, I…I’ve something to tell you.”

He raised an eyebrow. “About you being a talented musician who plays in a London Orchestra, or about you fulfilling your greatest dream despite what you went through in your childhood?”

“Y…You know about my childhood?” I stammered.

He held onto my hand, seemingly unwilling to let it go. “I’ve done some research of my own. I wanted to find out all I could about the squadron of tanks which liberated us from the German Army. I then decided to find out about the granddaughter of the tank driver whose photograph stands on the mantle-shelf in our living room. I discovered that she didn’t exist ten years ago, and wanted to find out why.”

“Oh. I suppose I’d better continue with my holiday, then.”

“Why?”

“Well, I….”

He still gripped my hand. “Must you go?”

“Well, I….”

“Please stay here. Perhaps we can get to know each other.”

“I’d like that, but what about...”

He smiled, and suddenly I hadn’t a care in the world.

The last couple of days in Antwerp seemed to fly by. Eventually, the time came for me to return to England and we exchanged contact details. I visited Jacob as often as I could over the next six months and he came to stay with me in England. I finally made the decision to wind up my affairs and move to Belgium.

Each time I saw the clock, I blessed my grandfather for rescuing it from that heap of rubble. I knew that it was a treasured family heirloom, which I would often see again, and that Jacob and I would eventually inherit it.

Fin

Once again my thanks go to Angela Rasch for her advice and encouragement.

up
123 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Melting Ice

Very sweet.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

...

lolz broke nearly down when I read about the part of the belgian railways, being one of it's 'victims'. The NMBS (Nationale Maatschappij der Belgische Spoorwegen) in flemish or SNCB (Societé Nationale des Chemins de fer Belge) are anything but punctual. It's getting even to the limit of acceptebility on some parts of the network.

And the Eurostar isn't technically part of the NMBS/SNCB. Although the NMBS/SNCB is a part of the compagny behind the Eurostar.

Sorry about the above.

A very sweet story

PS http://www.stationsroman.be/3dstation/ a virtual (animated) tour of antwerp central station ;)

It was OK four years ago

1. I realise that my limited experience is not representative,
2. Perhaps I'm a 'glass half full' kind of person,
3. This is fiction after all!
4. If I didn't bend the truth a bit, there'd be no story!!!

S.

Susan, OK, it wasn't that

Susan,

OK, it wasn't that bad 4 years ago -> trains and I was only talking about the trains. Blame my ASD for the rest of it ...

sooooo weird :p

it's just so weird when someone writes a fictional story taking place where you live ^^ Maybe in real life Jacob's still free? hmmmm...

grtz & hugs,

Sarah xxx

Sarah, not intrested in

Sarah, not intrested in Jacob. Maybe if he had a sister ...

And yes it's funny when someoen writes about a city you a used to know from the 'Sportpaleis, to the 'Gedempte Zuiderdokken', to 'Stuurboord' and the 'Steen'.

PS The 'Jacob' used to be the venue for all the parties of Enig verschil ( http://www.enigverschil.be/ ), the local LGBT-youth group. Closed it down about 5 years ago ... :( a lot of memories there.

You know enig verschil?!

You know enig verschil?! omg, the world really is small :p

I was well impressed

with Antwerp and Bruges when I was there. Didn't think much of Brussels, though.

Would anyone care to write a story about Cheshire, England?

Jacob... I saw him first!

S.

When you happen to be in

When you happen to be in Brussel again I'll be happy to showyou around. Some part's of it are on par with Brugges and Antwerp. Difference is the aren't in 1 spot ... and you need to look pretty hard to find them. -> Work in Brussels ...

PS you can have Jacob, but does he have a sister ? ;)

Thanks

Maybe I'll stay in Europe next year; all this world travel gets expensive.

Hmmm; Belgium, Bavaria, Austria, Italian Lakes and Mountains - all by train. And maybe Vienna, Budapest, Prague, Warsaw, Sicily, Slovenia, Croatia, Greece. That should use up a fair chunk of next year. There's much more of North America to see too. Oh well, there goes 2013.

Got to spend my pension on something.

Jacob's sister? Watch this space!

S.

Thanks

Tanya Allan's picture

Thank you Susan, I liked this...happy endings, or are they beginnings?

Tanya
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!

There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes!

There can be life after

There can be life after transition and surgery. It certainly varies, and it is rarely like this story. But life can happen.

CaroL

CaroL

You're right;

I'm living it. Sure I could have done without 55 years of acting, but I got there in the end.

Innuendo

joannebarbarella's picture

Much, much more than an Italian suppository. Such a beautifully understated story and a worthy Susan Heywood contribution to Big Closet. A lovely little gem,

Joanne

I love it!

Very funny! I have to use that line somewhere!

Wren

Yes; I've found some gems

in other people's writing that I've just HAD to use.

And there's me thinking

that 'Innuendo' was anal intercourse!

I love an unpredictable story!

The story was sweet, well written and the ending surprised me. I totally enjoyed it! Thank you!

Wren

Secrects

I know a secret and I won't tell. I loved your story it was real sweet and love has know secrets -- KUDOS -- HUGS RICHIE2

Well Done Susan!

Just the warm fuzzy I needed this morning, thank you.

Oh, Susan! Merveilleux! Grande histoire.

Andrea Lena's picture

Je vous remercie beaucoup, ma soeur!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

De rien

Je vous en prie.

Short and Sweet

terrynaut's picture

I would've liked to have read about the reaction of Jacob's parents when the long lost clock was presented to them but other than that, I'd say this story was perfectly sweet.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Thanks

I tried to leave out the bits that didn't move the story along; thus I didn't give her a name or much history. With hindsight, I'd have made the railway thingy a bit more brief but I tried to give the impression of her life as a lonely outcast and the unlikely event of her finding love in another country - and a reason for her to be there.

This story was originally written for another writing group challenge and I expanded it for BCTS.

I agree

Returning the clock was the impetus for the story (and the meeting). A scene with her giving the clock back to his grandparents, with a bit of sideplay between the two younger folk in a flirting way would certainly help the story. You practically promised us that scene, Susan.

BTW, I lived in Antwerp years ago, really loved my time there!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

A delightful vignette

Angharad's picture

Thanks Susie, much enjoyed clocking it. Maybe I'll set a story in Cheshire sometime, my brother lived at Hoylake for some years and my daughter went to university in Cheshire.

Just thought, Gaby's grandmother - Josie Peters, lives in Cheshire, so Maddy Bell has used it as a site for a story.

Angharad

Angharad