A Summer of Changes - Book 3 Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version

Denise

Julia has to come to terms with having a new sister

A Summer of Changes
by Louise Anne Smithson

Book 3 Chapter 3

Julia’s new sister

Julia had regained her composure by the time they sat down in a nearby coffee bar and ordered themselves something to drink.

‘Now, I think you've some explaining to do young man,’ she said severely.

‘Do I look like a young man?’ asked Denise a little sharply.

‘No, in fact I must admit that you look like a pretty young woman,’ answered her sister in a more conciliatory tone.

‘Thank you! In that case, please do me the courtesy of addressing me as such,’ said Denise, once again growing in confidence. ‘I am dressed the way I am because I have recently obtained a job which involves me modelling female clothes for an internet catalogue.’

Julia looked surprised both by the confident tone and the content of the answer.

‘But why were you chosen? There must have been hundreds of female models available for that sort of work?’ she said.

‘There were several reasons,’ answered Denise. ‘It was partly because I was already working for the firm and had helped them to set up the catalogue, partly because I wouldn't cost them nearly as much as a professional model, but it was mainly because they knew I'd do a good job.’

‘But it is Sunday today, and you're not working now, so why are you dressed the way you are?’

‘It takes a lot of time and expense to change Denis into Denise, or vice versa. It would not be practicable for me to do so every day. In any event I'm now sharing a flat with a photographic model. She wouldn't have been willing to share with Denis, but is happy to do so with Denise.’

‘So are you living as Denise full-time then?’

‘Well yes, at least I am for the next three months,’ she replied.

Julia was about to reply but their coffees arrived at that moment and it took a little time before the waitress was out of earshot once again.

‘I think you had better tell me the whole story, from the beginning; how I have lost a brother and gained a sister,’ she said.

The next half hour was spent relating the events of the last seven weeks beginning with the hen party, the wedding, Angela’s departure and how she had managed to acquire an entire wardrobe of female clothes, the new job offer and her move into Samantha’s flat. Julia then looked through a number of recent photographs of her sister, both at the wedding and also of her working as a photographic model

‘Wow! I must say that you look wonderful as Denise in these photographs, I would never have guessed that those pictures were not of a girl. I'm quite jealous of your looks.’

‘Thanks!’ answered Denise, blushing a little, but nevertheless feeling quite pleased with her sister’s reaction.

‘So you acted as a bridesmaid at a posh wedding without anyone realising,’ she said looking through the pictures.

‘Not exactly, the bride, the other bridesmaid and their cousin all knew, together with a couple of my workmates who were guests, but that is all. I don’t think anyone else realised,’ she added.

‘So what will happen once the modelling job has finished?’

Denise shrugged.

‘I don’t know; nothing I have done is irreversible so I can always go back to being Denis; but then I'll have to find somewhere else to live.’

‘Hm. I'm not sure that I'm happy about the way that your workmates have been ganging up on you to force you into dressing as a woman all the time.’

‘Nobody has ganged up on me — perhaps there was a little pressure exerted on me to fill in as Jane’s bridesmaid, but nothing since the wedding. I'm dressed the way I am because it is far more convenient for me to do so, both at home and at work.’

‘Is that really the only reason?’ she asked.

‘No, I suppose it is also because I enjoy dressing and acting as a woman,’ admitted Denise blushing.

‘So it would seem.’

There was silence for a few minutes whilst Julia took in what her new sister had just said. Denise seemed to be embarrassed and yet defiant.

‘But what about relationships, how will you ever find a girl friend if you dress like that?’ asked Julia.

‘Denis never had a girl friend, whereas Denise has lots of female friends.’

‘That is not quite the same thing. Are you gay?’

‘Denis was painfully shy rather than gay.’

‘Hm!’ said Julia sounding unconvinced. ‘What about Denise, she does not seem to be so shy?’

‘I just don’t know. I enjoy women’s company, but they only seem to take notice of me if I am one of them.’

‘Maybe,’ said Julia, still sounding unconvinced. ‘I can’t imagine many girls fancying you dressed the way you are, but I'm sure there would be plenty of men who might do so.’

‘My flatmate’s cousin has asked me out a couple of times, and he knows all about me.’

‘So tell me about it,’ she demanded.

‘We met at her sister’s wedding and danced together. He has asked me out but I've put him off for a couple of weeks until he moves up to London.’

‘And then what?’

‘If he asks me again, I expect I may go out with him.’

‘And then what?’

‘I don’t know, we'll have to see what happens.’

Julia did not answer for a while as she assimilated the information given to her. When she did speak it was on another tack.

Does mum know about all this?’

‘No, not yet, I was hoping to enlist your help in breaking the news to her. We'll have to be careful and break it to her gently.’

‘So now you want me to fight your battles for you,’ she replied sharply.

‘No, not really, but I could do with a little sisterly support,’ answered Denise, colouring.

Julia softened her stance, even to the extent of addressing her new sister by her adopted name.

‘Denise, you'll have to give me a little time to digest the news first; it's been quite a shock to me as well.’

‘Yes of course Julia, I understand. So are you still happy to stay with me?’

‘Where will I sleep tonight?’

‘At the flat I share in Shepherd’s Bush. ‘That is as long as you don't mind staying with your sister rather than your brother’

Julia smiled.

‘I don’t appear to have much choice.’

‘There is one thing though, Samantha, my new housemate has never met Denis and knows nothing about his background. We would both prefer to keep it that way. So when you come to stay with us please can you treat me as if I have always been your sister when we are in her company?’

‘Alright, I will do my best.’

‘In that case I just have to go to the ladies and then we'll find a tube train.’

Whilst she was in the cubicle, Denise sent a text message to Alison confirming that all was well so far, and promising to call when she got a chance. She also rang Samantha to find out her whereabouts and discovered that she'd recently returned to their flat.

‘I am on my way to the flat with my sister. Have you eaten yet?’

‘Not yet.’

‘In that case we'll bring a take away meal home with us.’

‘Thanks. How did you get on with your sister?’ asked Samantha

‘So far so good. When we arrive please treat her as if she and I have always been sisters, and that she never had a brother.’

‘Yes of course, that would be easier all round’.


Before they sat down to eat Denise took Julia up to her room so she could leave her cases.

‘Wow Denise, this is a comfortable room, but the pink frills are a little over powering.’

‘I didn't choose the décor, it was here when I moved in a fortnight ago,’ she answered blushing.

‘Where do I sleep?’

‘You can either sleep on the couch downstairs in a sleeping bag on my floor, or else share the double bed with me if you like?’

‘I’ll share with you as long as you promise not to snore.’


Julia did her best to keep to her word, regarding Denise’s background, at least when she was in Samantha’s company. She restricted any further comments or questions to those times when they were alone. As a result the three of them seemed to get on quite well together. Denise and Samantha spoke about their work and Julia described the job she was applying for. Denise therefore felt able to excuse herself for twenty minutes to go and telephone Alison and tell her all about her meeting with Julia.

‘So she is now totally accepting of you’ said Alison.

‘I wouldn't say that, but she is at least making an effort, and has not freaked out so far.’

‘Well that's a good start, and I'm sure she will begin to enjoy having a sister once she gets used to the idea.’

‘I hope so, we'll have to see how it goes.’


At last at about 10.00 pm the three girls decided it was time to get themselves ready for bed.

‘What time do you need to leave tomorrow?’ Denise asked her sister.

‘There's no urgency I don't have to be there until after lunch.’

‘Denise and I will have to leave for work at about 8.00am, but you are welcome to make yourself some breakfast and get ready in your own time’ said Samantha.

‘Thanks.’


‘You really have become quite an expert at dressing as a woman,’ commented Julia, as she watched her sister sit at the dressing table, remove her makeup and put her hair into rollers for the night.

‘Yes I suppose I have, but making sure that I look good is also a way of bolstering my confidence as a woman. Believe me, it took some courage for me to face you as Denise this afternoon’ she answered.

Julia smiled and put her hand on her sister’s bare shoulder.

‘Yes, I suppose so, but I'm glad you did,’ she said.


The following morning Denise and Samantha were both up washed, dressed, and had eaten some breakfast before Julia had even got out of bed. Denise called in just as she was leaving for work.

‘Good luck for this afternoon’ she said.

‘Thanks, but today is only preliminary, to get an idea whether I like the look of them and they like the look of me. The formal interviews will take place tomorrow morning,’ answered Julia.

‘Well good luck, just the same. I'll telephone you this afternoon to see how you got on.’

‘Alright then, Sis, and I’ll see you this evening,’ answered Julia.

Denise smiled at the reference to her, and left for work.


It was another busy day at work for the two models and it was not until 4.00pm after they had changed back into their own clothes when Denise had a chance to ring her sister.

‘Hi Denise!’, she responded.

‘How did you get on this afternoon?’ she asked.

‘I've my interview at midday tomorrow.’ answered Julia without saying anything more.

‘But would you like the job if it is offered to you?’

‘Oh yes! The work would be great, if I were to get it, my ideal job in fact. There are several other good candidates though,’ said Julia.

‘Do you think you might stand a chance?’

‘I've all the necessary qualifications and experience that they are asking for so it will just be a question of my impressing the interview panel tomorrow. The problem is that I always turn into a nervous wreck before job interviews. I also now wish I'd brought something a little smarter with me to wear as there seems to be a smart dress code in the office.’

‘What sort of thing would you be looking for?’

‘Everyone in the office was wearing a suit. Some of the girls were wearing trouser suits, and others had skirts and they were all wearing makeup,’ she said.

‘Perhaps I could loan you something suitable to wear to your interview’ said Denise.

‘Are you likely to have something that would suit me?’

‘Possibly, you remember I told you about my friend Angela who gave me a whole load of her work clothes. She was about the same size as the two of us. You'd be welcome to have a look through my wardrobe to see if anything suits you.’

‘Wow! Borrowing my interview outfit from my little brother — that really would be a tale for my girlfriends,’ laughed Julia.

‘Hey, what is it with ‘little brother’ complained Denise. ‘Remember it was “sis” this morning.’

‘I am sorry Denise, I was forgetting my promise to you. If you'd been standing in front of me rather than speaking on the telephone I wouldn't have made the same mistake.’


Before she left work that evening, Denise had a word with Sue to ask her whether she might take the following day as leave, so that she could help her sister to get ready for the interview and also offer her some moral support.

‘I don’t think there would be a problem from my point of view,’ answered Sue. I can easily reschedule tomorrow’s session so that we only use Samantha. We're going to need several days of her working on her own before she leaves us in September. We'll have plenty of time to make use of you on your own in late September after she has left us.’

‘So do you think my modelling job might continue after the three months are complete?’ said Denise.

‘I can’t speak for Helen, but I'd imagine so, at least in some part-time capacity,’ she answered. ‘We should have completed the backlog by the end of September, but we're getting in new clothes all the time and the website will need to be kept up to date. With Jane planning to take maternity leave you'll be the obvious candidate for the job.’

‘I hadn't thought of that.’

‘There probably won't be enough work to employ a full-time model’ said Denise.

‘No but it might also be combined with a part-time post of webmaster, or perhaps I should I say webmistress.’

‘But Jane will be able to do any modelling necessary when she comes back’ answered Denise.

‘We’ll see, but in the meanwhile don't get anxious if I sometimes use Samantha more than I do you. I think you both make excellent models.’


Samantha stopped off on her way home to do some shopping, but Denise returned to the flat to prepare their meal. She found Julia waiting for her.

‘Rather than cook this evening, I'd like to buy us all a take-away meal, as a thank you for letting me stay,’ suggested Julia.

‘Alright then, Samantha likes to eat Chinese food,’ said Denise, taking a menu out of a drawer, ‘but we'd better wait for her to return before ordering anything. They don’t deliver, but we can order in advance and I don’t mind going to collect the food. In the meanwhile come and have a look through my wardrobe for something suitable for you to wear tomorrow.’

As she went through Denise’s now considerable collection of smart clothes, Julia told her sister all about the job. She was clearly interested in the post, but equally worried about the forthcoming interview.

‘Julia, would you like me to take a day off tomorrow to come and offer you some moral support until your interview?’ asked Denise

‘That's really kind and thoughtful of you. If you really didn't mind coming along, I should appreciate your company.’

‘Well that's settled then.’

Julia chose a dark red two-piece suite with matching handbag and shoes, and a pink silk blouse, which she tried on and fitted her well.

‘You're welcome to borrow them, I never have need to wear anything quite so formal,’ said Denise.

‘Me neither, as a rule, but thank you for loaning them to me. I'll now feel much more confident about the interview tomorrow.’

Samantha arrived home at that point, and she expressed her approval of the outfit.

‘I have a matching necklace and pair of earrings that would go well with that outfit, if you would like to borrow them’ said Samantha.

‘Yes please,’ answered Julia.

The three proceeded to choose their dishes and Denise left them to go and fetch the order. Julia changed back into the clothes that she'd been wearing before joining Samantha in the lounge. It was inevitable that the conversation would turn to the only person the two of them knew in common.

‘Samantha, was it you who first gave my brother the idea of dressing as a girl?’

‘No, it was my sister Jane’s idea. ‘I've never met your brother, I’ve only ever known Denise. Does it trouble you?’

‘I don’t know — it ought to do so, but Denise seems to be such a kind and contended person, whereas my former brother was awkward and morose.’

‘I admit that it was me who first suggested her as a bridesmaid, but at the time I genuinely thought Denise was a girl. Later, when I discovered the truth about her I did perhaps exert a little pressure on her to help us out, but I was always under the impression that she was enjoying herself in the role. Certainly during the six weeks since the Wedding no-one has tried to force her into anything. I've always made it clear that I regard Denise as a good friend, and I'd prefer not to complicate that friendship by meeting Denis. However, she chose to take the job as a model, and she chose to give up her former accommodation and come and share the flat with me.’

‘I just wonder where it will all lead to eventually,’ said Julia.

‘Yes I can understand your worries, but that is something for Denise to work out for herself. It is her life to live as she wishes.’

‘It is strange, I always wished for a younger sister rather than a brother, and Denise seems to have turned into just the kind of sister I'd have liked. So why should I be so concerned?’

‘You described your sister a few minutes ago as a kind and contented person, isn’t that enough?’

‘Yes, it is enough to satisfy me, but I'll soon have to try and explain the situation to her mother.’

‘Good luck.’

Soon afterwards Denise returned with the food and the conversation turned to other matters.

(Next time Julia has her interview and Denise has to make some important decisions.)

up
202 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A Summer of Changes - Book 3 Chapter 3

I like getting Julia's reactions to Denise as it also gives insight into Denise.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

A kind and contented person,

ALISON

'a person who has found herself and is happy with what she has found.A very sweet story.

ALISON

Somehow, I foresee the two

Somehow, I foresee the two girl's Mother as being accepting of Denise and actually telling the two of them that she had always wanted two daughters. Julia it seems is rapidly coming to the fact that Denise jsut might be here to stay. Jan

Moving Along Nicely

Thanks for the new chapter.

Vote, vote, vote.

Fast food!

Denise (as a model) is going have to watch her weight with all the 'take aways' they seem to be eating.

Possibly a Denis hangover?

Nice chapter Louise, next we have to meet Mum, soon?

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Kind and contented vs awkward and morose...

...is not really a contrast. The kid was kind before and the lack of contentment is based upon how he had been received by others. And anyone is going to be awkward if they are refused the opportunity to break the ice with others. We aren't talking about points of character here so much as reactions to the attentivness of others.

Once Julia borrowed an outfit, Denise was all set.

Gee, that went well didn't it? Julia now has a warm and considerate sister.
That's better than having a morose, recluse of a brother.
And, Julia mentioned Denis in front of Sam, while accusing her of forcing her brother to 'dress up'.

Cefin