Changes~53

Printer-friendly version
As I stared at Olivia’s face –at peace at last–I wondered if she had gone to heaven…

Changes

Chapter 53

By Susan Brown


 
 

Previously…

She began to cry and all I could do was cuddle her. I was numb and totally shocked by her revelation. Tears were streaming down my cheeks and she was shuddering violently. Dimly, I was aware of some alarms jangling and within seconds, the room was full of staff and I was bundled hurriedly out of the room. Abby, standing by Trevor, saw my face and immediately came and embraced me. Shortly afterwards, I found myself in a waiting room with Abby sitting by me, hugging me tightly.

It appears that Olivia had had a severe stroke and was in a coma. Marcia arrived shortly afterwards and after a quick hug, she went to see what was going on. My brain ached with all that had gone on and what I had been told. I could not believe what Nigel had done to Olivia and I hoped sincerely that he would rot in hell. Sadly, Olivia suffered through being the daughter of a perverted and repellent father, so no way could I find it in my heart to blame her for what she did.

Thirty minutes later, Marcia came in and sat beside me. Immediately, I understood from her solemn expression that her news was not good.

‘Sam, I’m so very sorry, my dear; she’s gone–’

And now the story continues…

As I stared at Olivia’s face –at peace at last–I wondered if she had gone to heaven. I believed in heaven, but that doesn’t mean that, at times like this, you wonder if it is all real or just a figment of the imagination? For some bizarre reason I thought of Karl Marx and how he’s oft quoted: Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people. That might have been the reality for him, but I could never understand his rather bleak point of view.

I held her cold lifeless hand–the hand that had once caressed me, a long time ago seemingly, but in truth not that long. Olivia believed that there was something out there, shaping our lives and thoughts but she didn’t know quite who or what that was.

Why was I thinking of religion at a time like this? I don’t know, perhaps because birth and death are so important and one wonders why we are here sometimes and what is the point of it all?

Then there was Nigel, why did he die? Was it just his criminal past catching up with him or did he come to a sticky end at the hands of some lover? The mere fact that he was naked on the bed where he met his end might suggest a lovers’ quarrel, but I was not entirely sure if people did get stabbed in bed after such a quarrel: there wouldn’t be many people left in the world if it was a frequent occurrence.

Too many questions and no answers.

She looked peaceful lying there, almost asleep. She had a slight smile playing on her lips as if she had just heard a rather naughty joke. I hoped that she didn’t suffer and I was glad that I had, to some degree, made my peace with her. I kissed her on her cold forehead and whispered goodbye in her ear.

After one last sad look, I left the room and went slowly out into the corridor. Glancing at my friends sitting there, I smiled sadly, realising that I had found more friendship here than poor Olivia had ever had. It was sad that she no longer had anyone. I would be there for her on the final steps that led to her resting place. I would ask David if he could find a space for her in the churchyard at St Petroc’s. At least here she would be away from the heartache of her previous existence, and her daughter would be able to visit when she was old enough–

Her daughter! How could I forget?

I sat on a seat with Abby holding me. One advantage of being a woman is that you aren’t expected to hold back when showing emotion. I was grieving–grieving for a life wasted and never really fulfilled and worried about a young life struggling to come into a world that she wasn’t yet ready for. It was all getting rather too much and I decided I had to get some air. Seeing the concerned faces, through the pain, I managed somehow to smile.

‘It’s all right; I’m not going all loopy on you, it’s just that I need to think, so I’d like to go for a walk, on my own. Don’t worry, I won’t do anything stupid, I just want some peace and quiet to think things over. Abby, would you sort out the–the arrangements and everything with David, I just couldn’t face it at the moment.’

‘Of course I could, love; don’t worry, we’ll sort everything out.’ She squeezed my arm and looked so concerned for me. How could I tell her how much I love her?

I kissed her on her soft lips and just whispered, ‘I love you so much.’

‘I know and I couldn’t be without you.’

We gazed into each other’s eyes and I knew that there was not anyone else in the world that I would rather be with. With Olivia it had been an infatuation–with Abby it was unreserved love.

I hugged David, Jocasta and Marcia and just walked off down the long corridor on my own, my heels clicking on the green linoleum. The receptionist didn’t say anything as I left and for that I was grateful.

I blinked in the bright afternoon sunshine. The hospital was on a hill overlooking the cove and I could see far out to sea from here. Small hospitals like this–the lifeblood of the community, were getting rarer now and there was talk of closing the A&E1 department. Dotty Fairbairn was on the committee, protesting about closure plans and I thought that if anyone could stop that nonsense, she would.

Wandering slowly down the road, I somehow found myself turning left at the sign for the Coastal Path. After a few minutes’ stroll along a leafy lane, I came to a stile with a small sign nearby, once again showing the way to the Coastal Path.

I climbed over the stile and after a short amble through some woodland, I came across the path. As I sauntered along I pondered all that had happened to me in the short time that I had lived at this idyllic place: like the way I had found it using the “dubious digit” method. Then being picked up by David and Jocasta after getting a soaking up on the moor; I recalled the warmness I felt when they did their Samaritan thing and opened their home and their hearts to me.

Then there was Abby–who had become the centre of my life in such a short time. I would marry her–if she would have me. My life had improved immeasurably since I had been with her and I know she felt the same as me. Our love for each other was gentle warm and fulfilling. I couldn’t imagine being without her and I smiled at thought of cuddling up to her at night for the rest of our lives.

I know I should have felt some guilt about Olivia, but strangely, I didn’t; however I did feel sorrow for her and the waste of her young life. Her father had been a beast to her and that had made her what she was. I could not put aside, and indeed didn’t want to put aside, the times, some of them very good, others rather awful, while we were together; but she made her choices even if those choices were wrong. I really don’t think, looking back, that she had ever grown up. Despite everything that her shit of a father did to her, she still had her chances to break away, but never did. To the end, I still feel that she loved her father in spite of everything he had done to her and that, above all, he caused her downfall and ultimate death.

I sat on a bench and gazed down over the cove. The sun was reflected on the water; a sea that was for the moment tranquil and calm. Like life, the tranquillity can change in an instant and become a roaring maelstrom–rather like my life at the moment. The trees whispered in the breeze and seagulls made their usual cacophony as they wheeled around the place I was so happy to call my home. As I looked down on the cottages and houses below with the brightly coloured walls and roofs, I wondered if the lives of those inside bore any resemblance to mine. Penmarris had been a village for centuries and there must have been many births, marriages and deaths here in this little slice of life on the Devon shore. How many dramas took place behind those walls over the years? This had been a haven for smugglers in the none too distant past and I could imagine the women folk waiting at the windows for their men to come back, but sometimes waiting in vain.

Even now, the fishing fleet–small though it was–went out in all weathers trying to bring home a catch despite crippling quotas, just so they could put food on the table and a roof over the heads of their family. It was a dangerous occupation and one that was reflected on the gravestones in St Petroc’s pretty churchyard. I also thought about the brave lifeboat crew, continually risking their lives by setting sail in the foulest of weather conditions to save those in peril on the sea.

My thoughts returned to Olivia; one of the reasons we never made it as a couple was that Olivia appeared to not want children, and then, using some of my sperm, she did a complete U-turn and became pregnant. Was it my baby? Did she tell me the truth in the more or less death-bed confession she made to me?

I thought about the tiny wee bundle struggling for life back at the hospital. I wondered if I would make a good parent and whether or not Abby would accept the baby. Knowing her, I was sure she would.

Somehow, I didn’t really feel connected to the child; it was all so sudden and shocking–the events of the last twenty four hours. I kept on going over and over in my mind, everything that had happened and whether I had done anything that could have caused all these terrible happenings to occur. Would Olivia still be alive now if we had never met? I would never know and banging my head against the “what if” wall would not help anyone at the moment, least of all the baby.

It was getting cooler now as the sun did its usual trick of dropping towards the horizon. Shivering slightly, I decided to return to the hospital before a search party was sent out for me, or it got too dark for me to see. I wasn’t sure that Abby trusted my sanity at the moment–probably quite wise in the circumstances.

Half an hour later, I strode back into the hospital. In the waiting room sat Abby–she was asleep in the chair–and the poor dear was probably as tired as me because we hadn’t had much sleep lately. I sat down beside her and, putting my head against her shoulder wakened her.

‘Hello, love, are you all right?’ She yawned.

‘Not too bad; everyone gone then?’

‘Yes, Marcia has to do her surgery and David and Jo are sorting out their girls–tea and everything, you know, usual family stuff. David’s going to sort out the funeral and Katie’s getting the legal side sorted out. She thinks that it’s going to be a complicated mess, but she enjoys a challenge and will do her best.’

‘Where’s…Olivia?’

‘They’ve taken her away somewhere. They don’t need to do a post-mortem, it having been a natural death and they know she died as a result of the stroke, so that’s a blessing. As far as I know, David has arranged for the undertakers to pick her up and then the funeral can be sorted out. There’s nothing for you worry about, except––’

–the baby.’ I finished, ‘It’s strange that I feel sorry for her but don’t feel any sort of bond.’

‘That’s understandable under the circumstances. What’re you going to do?’

I looked at her concerned face.

‘Shall we go and see her?’ I said, avoiding answering question.

‘All right, I’m getting fed up with the sight of this place.’

We went along to the baby IC unit and after a few minutes, we were let in.

As before, the baby was in an incubator, she looked so tiny and vulnerable lying there with all those nasty tubes going into her. The beep, beep of the machine seemed to be going rather fast, but as the nurse didn’t seem too concerned, I expected that all this was fairly normal.

I knew that I had to be her parent; Olivia had sort of laid that on me. I could have asked for a blood test, but I decided not to. I would like to believe that, in the final instant, Olivia was telling the truth about using my sperm. The little girl would grow up without any ambiguity as to whom her parents were and would be told the truth when she was old enough to understand.

‘You can touch her, if you like,’ the nurse said as she watched us with amused eyes, ‘she’s not nearly as fragile as she looks.’

Abby and I stood on either side of the incubator and looked at one another. Without saying anything else, we opened the sides of the incubator and put our hands inside. The frail little mite seemed to notice that she wasn’t alone and her tiny hands were opening and shutting. I put my little finger in one hand and Abby did the same with the other. The wee soul grasped our fingers surprisingly tightly and she appeared to stop fidgeting. She looked at me and I swear she knew who I was and then she looked at Abby and smiled.

My heart literally melted and, with tears blurring my vision, I gazed at Abby who gazed at me in return.

‘Do you like our baby?’ I asked.

‘I love our baby,’ Abby replied through her tears. ‘Have you thought about a name?’

‘Heather–it was was my mother’s name.’

‘Heather it is.’ said Abby smiling.

‘Aaaw,’ said the nurse sniffing, ‘isn’t that sweet!’

____________________
1     A&E–Accident and Emergency = ER in the US


To Be Continued…

Angel

The Cove By Liz Wright

Please leave comments…thanks! ~Sue

My thanks go to the brilliant and lovely Gabi for editing, help with the plot-lines and pulling the story into shape.

up
380 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"Aaaw, isn’t that sweet!"

RAMI

Very simple to comment on this Chapter. The Ending, as Sue herself wrote it "Aaaw, isn’t that sweet!", tells the whole story.

No more needs to be said. Great Chapter

RAMI

RAMI

Yes it did!

"Aaaw isn't that sweet" says it all! Thanks Sue!

Hugs!

Grover

One life ends

Another begins.

Thanks Sue; beautifully written as always.

Susie

I second that!

Absolutely wonderful!
LOL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Heather is going to be a

Pamreed's picture

Heather is going to be a very loved child!! Despite her awkward beginnings she has a bright future!! Samantha and Abby will be wonderful parents!! Sue I can see that this story is near an end unless you have more twists in mind!!
Thank you for providing many moments of gladness and occasional sadness!! This is a story that I will want to reread someday!!

Hugs,
Pamela

"how many cares one loses when one decides not to be
something, but someone" Coco Chanel

Olivia's Selfless Sacrifice

Has given Heather her only chance. Now, Samantha, and Abby must deal with the hell left behind by that beast. Can their love withstand the evil? Can the cove stay pure? I hope so!

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

End of one chapter, start of another

While the story could conceivably finish somewhere around here, if Sue hasn't grown tired of it yet, this could mark the start of a new chapter. Just as "Bike" didn't finish with the death of Cathy's parents, there's a lot more that can take place in this story. For example:

* Opening of the gallery
* Dotty's portrait (as it's in oils, it'll probably be a few lines every few episodes or so - especially if Dotty asks for progress updates every time she meets Sam!)
* Sam and Abby's marriage (Sam's still legally male, so even though they'll both be wearing frocks, they can have a 'proper' wedding rather than a civil partnership)
* Sam's RLT / hormones / SRS.
* Probate x2
* Who killed Nigel? Who sent the poison pen letters?
* Sam and Abby moving in together (although given the view from Sam's new pad, she'll probably retain it as a studio and cat-free love nest)
* Heather moving in with Sam and Abby
* Forming a Penmarris TG support / social group?
* Further character development / socialisation of Sarah. After all, she's been cooped up in Dotty's house since arriving, and is now growing into the role of teenage girl with local accent rather than maid with a mock-Cockney accent.

Plus anything else Sue throws into the mix en-route :)
At the moment, I can't quite see this developing to anywhere near the same length as "Bike" (which is currently over 800 chapters/episodes), but there's probably enough plot room for another few dozen chapters / episodes at least (possibly another 50+? <grin>), assuming neither Sue nor us get bored with the story / characters in the meantime! (That's an important caveat - it will last as long or as short as Sue wants it to last, regardless of what us humble readers think!)

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

I sure called it!

laika's picture

I said way back that I thought Sam & Abbie were going to wind up with this bundle of Joy, it just seemed so right. By golly am I ever smart! Now just ignore all that other stuff that I got completely wrong, like when I predicted Olivia would turn out to have an evil twin sister nobody knew about (tho' she might turn up yet...). I'll be sad if this story is drawing to a conclusion, although a satisfying ending is a great thing for a story to have, and I'm pretty sure whatever project Sue starts next will be just as boffo...
~~~hugs, Laika

Changes, sweet changes

I'll have to get a miniature umbrella for my computer. Many, many tears. Life is always so precious, both lost and new. Tears for Olivia and tears for the baby. Stick Nigel in a sack. I can see a happier and more fulfilled Samantha. The baby will change her. Can Heather take it, two mothers... Wow, I look forward to the new changes. Mary.

Another Wonderful Chapter!

I so love your writing, Susan. You have brought this beautiful area of England to life. Samantha, Abby and the villagers live and breathe through your words. And I go through tissues by the gross! Of course, we all knew that Sam would take the child. Heather is such a pretty name. I can't wait to read the next chapter... and the dozens more to come.

Diane.

"To Be Continued..."

The sweetest words of all!

I'm sort of looking forward to Katie unravelling the legal tangles. I hope there are some assets left for Samantha, Heather and Abby after Nigel's enterprises are sold off or wound down and all the various probate and executor stuff is sorted. While it's possible that Nigel was so bent that the Crown would end up with it all, I rather hope not. And, then there's Olivia's estate, to which Samantha is unarguably entitled. Besides the house, Olivia probably had some cash of her own salted away, too.

If she ends up rich, maybe Samantha will be able to join the Formidable Fairbairn in supporting local charities, good works, and all that community pillar stuff. In between plying her art and running her gallery, of course!

Enough good works, by the way, and Samantha might well be the one to end up with a Peerage! Dame Samantha Smart... I rather like the sound of that! The irony would be delicious.

Absent some peculiar and uncharacteristic developments, I do suspect we're skating awfully close to the "happily-ever-after" point. Still, I wouldn't mind basking in it for a while!

Love this story!

Open Issues -- To Be Continued...

There are plenty of open issues for Sue to keep writing about....

In the near future we have to hear about the police inquiries into Nigel's murder (Redrum...).

Will the poor Copper in the hospital hallway appear again to suffer additional reminders of his youth around Abby?

All the custody issues for Heather need to be settled. Will she be allergic to cats? Doubtful, but an interesting thought.

The estate issues for Nigel to Olivia and Olivia to Sam... Lady F, Sarah and the other young lady who has only been hinted at need to have their issues settled.

All this talk about the life boat service portends another ugly tragedy. At least that painting must be done and presented.

Yes, it does seem that some parts of the story are close to being settled, but there WAY too many open issues for an end to be near.

Every time I stop by to see what's new, I am keeping my fingers crossed for another episode of Penmaris Place. More often than not, I am pleased to find something new going on. Keep it up Sue!

It's not over till it's over.

Whew! "Isn't that sweet.' Both Sam and Abby will help Heather. A birth should never be an ending. It is just a new beginning.

There are many open issues left to be resolved for Heather's sake. Bringing those to satisfactory resolutions will take a few chapters. It doesn't seem like Sue's style just to write a few sentences to bring Nigel's murder and the divorce and the nasty letters, etc... to a close. Although she could organize those issues into a second book of similar length. After all Samantha just started transition and then there's her wedding to Abby. Can't leave that out.

I am amazed at your ability to keep two dynamic and riveting stories going, 'Changes' and 'Football Girl', and not miss a beat. You don't take short cuts. Both stories are well thought out and written.

Thanks for sharing your talent with us.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Last Line of Changes

terrynaut's picture

Yes, that last line says it all about this chapter. Sorry if I gave any readers a heart attack with the title of this comment. The story is to be continued. Don't worry.

I loved that last scene. Little Heather grabbing their fingers and their hearts. I knew they didn't stand a chance.

By the way, I'm still surprised at how strong baby's can grip. I wonder why that is. Hmmmm.

Thanks very much for the story. Please keep up the good work.

- Terry

Oh the tragedy.

Heathers middle name should be Olivia. I still can't figure out the line where he says he should feel guilty for her? I don't see what he has to feel guilty about. She however was rightly feeling guilty about her treatment of him.