Changes~61

Printer-friendly version
Still feeling rather bloated after my á¼ber pasty at the pub and slightly tingly after a goodbye kiss from Abby which would have put us in prison in several countries and been applauded in a few others, I made my way to the police station–a.k.a. Trevor’s house...

Changes

Chapter 61

By Susan Brown

Copyright © 2009 Susan Brown

 
 

Previously…

I sat on a grassy knoll and drank in the view. I loved the peace and quiet up here and it was a nice change from my normal frantically busy lifestyle. When I first moved here, I thought that it was a nice quiet place with nothing happening, a virtual backwater in fact. I fancied that, as up to then my life had been somewhat fraught and not very happy. Olivia and her father had sort of dominated my life and it was all I could do to get up in the morning and start yet another meaningless day.

Now things were so different. I had a lover and hopefully soon we would get married. I had lots of friends and a virtual mother, though I would never tell her so, in Dotty. The rest of my family were moving into the village shortly. I was rich, successful and my gallery was going to open shortly. Then there was Heather. My daughter meant everything in the world to me. I loved her to bits and I couldn’t wait to go and pick her up and hold her. I wanted her home with Abby and me. Maybe later, I would find out when she could come home with us. The only cloud on the horizon was the idiot who kept up a hate campaign against me. Well, if only one person didn’t like me, that wasn’t too bad, but if he, or she, thought that I would be driven out by this agro, they were wrong. Eventually, I would find out who the “perp” was.

Glancing at my watch, I noticed that time was getting on and I needed to get to the pub before all the pasties were eaten.

As I got up and brushed some grass off of my skirt, I made another mental note to buy some more choccy sauce from the local shop and wondered if they sold industrial strength loofahs too as I think that I was going to need them both quite soon.

As I made my way back, I smiled, it wasn’t a bad life.

And now the story continues…

Still feeling rather bloated after my á¼ber pasty at the pub and slightly tingly after a goodbye kiss from Abby which would have put us in prison in several countries and been applauded in a few others, I made my way to the police station–a.k.a. Trevor’s house.

On the way, I noticed the old soothsayer-type woman walking by on the other side of the lane and frowned as she gave me a “knowing” look. That was a seriously weird lady!

Eventually I arrived at my destination and imagined myself drawing up in a handsome cab, my trusty Watson by my side as we alighted from the carriage and made our way–through a pea-souper of a fog naturally–into the station to interview Lestrade’s wife. I walked up to the door and knocked, bitterly regretting not having at least the female equivalent of Sherlock Holmes’s deerstalker hat to wear. Searching around me with a piercing gaze that took in everything and missed nothing, I noticed that the only thing that shouted police station was a small sign on the door and a blue light thingy on a pole by the front gate.

Shaking off my rather fanciful fancies, I rang the bell just above the sign which said, ‘Ring Please’. A few seconds later a pleasant woman about my age twenty-one–all right, thirty then–opened the door. She had a tea towel in her hand and an enquiring expression upon her face.

‘Hello, can I help you?’

‘Yes, I’m––’

‘–yes, I know, Samantha Smart…’

‘Ri—ight, err, Trevor said I should come to the police station to officially report a crime.’

‘Better come in then, the kettle’s on.’

She motioned me through and I found myself sitting in the lounge sipping some refreshing tea and dunking some Nice biscuits.

Angela was a pretty woman with short dark hair cut in a pageboy bob. She was quite thin and had delicate features. I wasn’t jealous–honest!

Taking down the “particulars” took but a moment and then, after careful and rather clever prompting on my part, she got down to the favourite occupations that locals have–gossip.

Being an amateur sleuth–as I now called myself–I ought to have turned on my concealed tape recorder so that I could recall the conversation at length during my leisure, but as I didn’t have so much as a notebook and pencil, I had to just try to remember what she said.

Very quickly I was given certain facts about half the female and a quarter of the male population of Penmarris. A lot of it is top secret and on a need to know basis which I would never divulge, but in general terms, Penmarris was evidently a hotbed of intrigue and funny goings-on. There were a couple of erm… couples who shall remain nameless, who did a regular wife/husband swapping–you know who you are.

A number of men were known to be heavy gamblers or alcoholics in all but name and on a Saturday night, the single cell–a Portacabin at the end of the garden–was full to overflowing with these transgressors. They were not normally violent and if they got excited, Trevor was quite good at tapping them gently on the head. Trevor had been trained to use a taser, but after he accidentally zapped himself once, they took it away from him.

The smuggling of Cornish pasties was rife as were the influx of pixies coming over the Cornish border, looking for a better life among the green hills of Devonshire. There were a number of incomers from Bodmin who were known criminals, having several parking and at least one TV licence avoidance fines between them. The butcher shortchanged on a regular basis, as did the baker and the candlestick maker. One of the pubs had been known to water down the beer and had what are called lock ins–which was just a fancy way of describing serving drinks after hours. Trevor was often seen in the pub at this time as he was keen to take down evidence and interview people at length.

Eventually Angela told me a few things that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. Yes, it was true! I had heard the rumours, of course, but I heard it from the horse’s mouth, well not horses, because actually Angela was very pretty–damn her–but you get the drift. We were on our third cuppa and half way down the second packet of biscuits when she leant in close and told me…

‘Several garden gnomes have been abducted1. The last one was on Tuesday night. Outsiders have been blamed and Trevor expects there to be ransom demands any day now.’

I was shocked as I felt that garden gnomes were sacrosanct. Whatever next, was anything safe? After those revelations I thought that I should bring our little chat back to more normal topics as things were getting a bit surreal and I began wondering if Angela was twelve pence in the shilling.2 I wanted to pump her about certain matters in a proper sleuth-like manner.

‘Erm, Angela, Trevor mentioned that there has been a spate of vandalism in the village–’

‘Yes, a few things have been happening and I suppose your car is the latest.’

‘Anything similar to my car or the poison pen letters?’

‘I shouldn’t really be telling you…’

She got up and looked out of the window, taking care not to move the curtains. Evidently, the coast was clear, so she sat down again after smoothing her skirt under her and gazed at me carefully.

‘This doesn’t go any further––’

‘–Of course–’

‘–well, there’s something fishy going on and Trevor is very worried that he might have to call in the CID.’

‘Why?’

‘Well, there have been a number of more horrible things happening lately, like pets being stolen and a few of the shops have had nasty things painted on the windows during the night.’

‘What sort of things?’

‘Stuff like, “pay up or else.” “We are watching you,” and one that was rather nasty said, “your house is next”.’

‘All in paint?’

‘Yes, the same colour that you had on your car.’

‘I don’t understand why, with the village grapevine, somebody hasn’t said anything?’

‘Well luckily these have all been spotted early in the morning and Trevor who has worked loads of hours on this, has been going out all hours to try to catch whoever has done it. Once, he must have missed whoever it was by seconds as the paint was still dripping on one window. He has managed to ensure that all traces are removed before people have been about, but that won’t last. He can’t be everywhere and, around here, secrets don’t stay secret long and the bosses are moaning now about his overtime and––’

‘–Has he interviewed the people who have been hit with this vandalism?’ I interrupted.

‘Yes, but no one is grassing anybody up. Trev thinks that they’re too scared to say very much. He reckons that it’s probably some sort of protection racket, but until someone talks, he can’t do much except do double shifts and see if he can catch them red-handed.’

Eventually, I left Angela to her chores and strolled down the lane towards the quay, I wondered what the hell was going on. Abducting gnomes was one thing, but scaring people witless like this was a whole new ball-game. I ambled aimlessly along the quay, nodding to passersby and stopping for a few moments as I watched a fishing boat come in with its attendant flock of seagulls. In due course I made my way down some steps and sauntered across the sand to the sea’s edge. It was fairly quiet on the beach, just a few couples in deck chairs and a man walking his dog and throwing a ball into the water. I stopped for a minute as the dog raced into the water, retrieved the ball and ran back for a repeat of the exercise. I thought that it was a rather pointless exercise but then, I’m not a dog.

Smoothing my skirt under me, I sat on the still warm sand. I brushed the hair out of my eyes, opened my bag, pulled out my hairbrush, took the scrunchie off the handle and put my hair up in a ponytail.

I had smiled a bit at the Angela’s description of the petty goings on in and around Penmarris but I wasn’t smiling when I heard what other, more sinister things, were going on. So, there was a protection racket and maybe even blackmail in sleepy Penmarris. On top of that, someone was trying to run me out of town–well, the village anyway. Was it all connected?

You expect to see things like this happen in London and other urban areas, but in Penmarris? No I didn’t expect that. To tell you the truth, it made me angry. I hated the idea that this sweet place could be tainted by things like this and I was determined to help, if I could, to try to get to the bottom of things.

My phone chirped, it was Abby.

‘Hi, honey!’

‘Hello, sweety-pie. Look, I’ve just had a phone call from the computer guy. The laptop is ready but I can’t go and collect it. I’m stuck with a load of pots in the kiln and I need to stay here for a while. Can you go and pick it up?’

‘Sure, where does our computer nerd hang out?’

‘Is that you trying to be hip and with it?’

‘Like yeah, ya know?’

‘Don’t bother honey. Anyway, he works from his house, number 17 Rookery Cottages, up the top of the hill turning left and then it’s at the end. I’ll ring him back to let him know that you’re coming.’

‘Okay, hon, consider it done.’

I got up and brushed the fine golden sand off my skirt and walked back up the beach and then after losing my way only twice, found my way to Rookery Cottages. It was nice here, with lots of little whitewashed buildings with gaily painted doors. It was all neat and rather pretty.

Number 17 had a bright red painted door and a small sign outside that announced ‘Dean Clump ~ Computer Doctor,’ on a small brass plate on the wall.

I knocked on the door and Dean opened it. ‘Hi, Dean, I’ve come for Abby’s laptop.’

‘Okay, erm, come in.’

‘You’re sweating, Dean, been out for a run?’

‘No, I’m just hot,’ he replied nervously, letting me go past him.

I heard the door close behind me, but my attention was somewhat grabbed by the person now standing in front of me with a gun in his hand. It was the same smoothie I met on the quay, seemingly a long time ago but in fact only a few weeks. Nigel Manning's ‘associate’ was looking rather smug and as he smiled at me, I noticed that the smile didn’t reach his steely grey eyes.

‘Hello Tom; you didn’t take my warnings seriously then. You really should have left the village, you know–when you had a chance.

______________________________

1      See: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/how-murphy...
     

2      “Twelve pence in the shilling” is an expression used in the UK sometimes, meaning “all there”, “totally sane”, or “in possession of all their faculties”.


To Be Continued…

Angel

The Cove By Liz Wright

Please leave comments…thanks! ~Sue

My thanks go to the brilliant and lovely Gabi for editing, help with the plot-lines and pulling the story into shape.

up
383 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Precipice Dangler!

You really left us dangling off the old precipice with this episode, dear!

Changes~61

Oh my! From her ponderings into a cliffhanger. To think, Abby will be beside herself when she finds out. Hope Trevor near by.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

To be expected

The theft of garden statues has been gnome to happen.

Nancy Cole

Nancy_Cole__Red_Background_.png


~ ~ ~

"You may be what you resolve to be."

T.J. Jackson

U R sooo Bad!!!!!!

The English Teacher's picture

The English Teacher

So much to read, so little time and only one of me :)

The English Teacher

I shink you are tilly!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Bugged Cell Phones or is Abby Not what she seems?

RAMI

In order for Nigel's Associate to have planned this encounter with "Tom", he either had her cell phone tapped or Abby is not what she seems? Is Abby in fact the individual trying to run Smanatha out of town? Does Abby have a Jekyl/Hyde persona?

Is this person truly Nigel's Associate or is he working for someone else?

Another Cliffhanger? And just before the Christmas weekend?

RAMI

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

:-) Just trying to sti the pot a little, Abby could not be like that ;-), and Sue would not do that to us, the story is too sweet for that turn of events.

RAMI

Mmm

I don't know,maybe Abby is a mad axe murderer, Arthur Potts could be involved and Dotty, being a bit, shall we say eccentric, may want to do poor Samantha in because she hasn't finished her painting yet. And then there are all those pixies. Never trusty a pixie, that's what I say!

Thanks for the suggestions RAMI!

Hugs

Sue.

PS I need to have a lie down now and take my pills. I think I just saw a pig flying overhead...no it was just a pigeon. Note to self, go and see 1. the doctor, 2. the optician, 3. my trick cyclist.

I wasn't far off!

I gave my theory in Episode 57 in a [ comment ]. Dean was my suspect for the vandalism and the poison pen letters. If he is part of Nigel's organization (willing or unwilling) it accounts for things.

behind the blue velvet curtain

laika's picture

If David Lynch has taught us anything (aside from the bit about dancing dwarves and glowing white horses appearing in living rooms) it's that idyllic small towns always have a hidden dark side that the ordinary citizens can't or choose not to see- a sordid world of all night debauches, wife swapping, gnome abductions and even worse depravities. The Log Lady's cousin had tried to warn Sam not to go looking through the interstices of Penmarris's veneer of normalcy, but now it's too late. Welcome to the White Lodge, Samantha! Let's hope she can get out of this with her body and mortal soul intact...
~~~garmonbozia, Laika

Now that's what I call a cliffhanger...

Eek! However, as it's got other cottages nearby (it's at the end of a row), I'd think a couple of gunshots would be rather noticeable (he couldn't exactly shoot Sam and leave Dean alone), so wouldn't be able to get far without being rugby tackled by the locals.

I wonder if Dean's got any cables lying around - say, a few spare network cables or USB leads. Find a way of momentarily distracting the "associate" then you've got an opportunity to do something with the gun to prevent it being used - which then gives an opportunity to detain the "associate".

Alternatively, if those Private Investigators are still keeping a discreet eye on Sam and tracking Nigel's "associates", then we could have the standard movie cliché of them barging in through the rear at precisely the right time - possibly with Trevor in tow.

Unfortunately, as I'm visiting Mum from Christmas Eve afternoon until the 28th/29th (and therefore will be offline), I'll probably have to wait until after Christmas to catch the next episode :(
 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Pixies?

I always thought the Cornish variants were called Piskies for reasons known only to those living over the Tamar. Perhaps Samantha could do with a Joan the Wad lucky charm. I bought one once in Newquay and it saved me from breaking my neck when I fell off a ladder - the broken leg was quite painful though. Good job I had my lucky charm.

If Sue's playing the game to the rules, then the villain (apart from the 'heavy' with the pistol) should already be known to us. I suspect even Sue doesn't know who it is yet so it's up to we readers to 'guide' her to a suitably unlikely villager. Abby is the least likely suspect but surely that's a step too far. I put my money on the vicar and his wife - they were suspiciously accommodating right at the outset. The plot thickens and very entertainingly, too.

Robi

Translation Please

RAMI

For us Yanks, a translation please!!!!!

The smuggling of Cornish pasties was rife as were the influx of pixies coming over the Cornish border, looking for a better life among the green hills of Devonshire. There were a number of incomers from Bodmin who were known criminals, having several parking and at least one TV licence avoidance fines between them

RAMI

Ah but ...

... didn't you say they were illegal immigrant faerie folk from Cornwall? Hence they're Piskies disguised as Pixies. I rest my case m'lud :)

Keep up the good work.

Robi

Eeeeeeek!

terrynaut's picture

This can't end well. I wondered what happened to that guy. He seemed the type to finish what he starts no matter what -- evil professional pride and all that. Could he be the mastermind behind everything that's been going on? It would seem so.

I didn't like the idea of Dean being responsible so I'm thinking Nigel's lackey threatened Dean to help. That's what I'm hoping for. We shall see.

Thanks for the chapter. Please keep up the good work.

- Terry

Interesting twist!

I just had a though (I do once in a while). Nigel Manning's ‘associate’ is now Samantha's employee as she now controls (owns) the late Nigel's empire. So this puts another interesting twist in the story. It appears Dean was coerced into calling Abby and is being held against his will.

Where are Sam's watchdogs? Surely Katie didn't call them off after Nigel's demise? As there were the letters and other events occurring that threatened Sam, who is now a very well off lady and business person. It is obvious that she still needed them. Does Nigel Manning's ‘associate’ work for the undesirables he was loan sharking for?

Please don't make us wait until after the Christmas holiday to resolve this. How about an early present for your adoring, loyal fans? We won't tell anyone, honest!

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Puzzling...

Colin (Nigel's ex-associate) no longer has any obvious reason to want Samantha to leave the village. Pay protection, sure; turn over Nigel's old loan business to him, OK. But none of that has anything to do with where Samantha lives -- in fact, both would probably be easier for him logistically if Samantha stayed in Penmarris. (And if Colin really is planning to murder her after getting "Tom's" signature on some document or other, which I doubt -- she's been alone enough that he could have done the deed by now -- I'm sure he'd rather do it here than in someplace with a real police force.)

Only thing I can think of is that Abby has something that Colin wants, and that he's trying to get to Abby through Samantha since she (unexpectedly?) didn't show up herself to pick up the computer -- and further, that Samantha's insertion into Abby's life had complicated whatever plans he already had for Abby, so Samantha's departure would be necessary to put those plans back on track.

The alternative, as someone suggested, is that Abby is Colin's accomplice (willing or otherwise), but it's hard to think of anything that Colin could get from Samantha that Abby couldn't get from her far more easily. Then again, the soothsayer did tell Samantha on the first trip not to take things at face value, and on the second to remember the dog-in-the-nighttime incident -- presumably, the perp was someone familiar to a potential witness.

Eric

Or...

Could it be that Colin is involved in something VERY illegal, and somehow Samantha is on the cusp of breaking it wide open, albeit unintentionally, with the way she's running the business?

That doesn't make a lot of sense, either, though. A gun murder of a wealthy business owner would focus the attention of Scotland Yard on the business. Either way, eventually, he loses. Hmmm... not that that ever seems to stop the bad guys....

Ooh! Led us down the garden path

didn't she, my dears? Made us all feel warm and cozy with just a wee bit of Penmarris perturbance. Then smack us with an old Nigel associate just like a three-day-old fish. Well!

You, you, Cliffhanger, you!

SuZie

SuZie

Well i was'nt wrong

something big did happen, And now it has gone all pear-shaped for Samantha....How will she get out of this?,... I wish i knew....But i'll tell you one thing I just cannot wait to find out!!!

Kirri