Saved by the Bell (2)

Printer-friendly version

Saved by the Bell
-2-
Dead man Walking

“BELL! JONES!” A loud voice seemed to boom. The voice belonged to Mr. Coalfield. A brute of a man, Mr. Coalfield or Coach Coalfield as everybody in school called him was the boy's P.E Instructor and the head coach of the Benton Academy football program. His skin was brown as leather and his neck reminded of the shank bone of a ham. And his hands were thick like hot dogs.

“What in the blazing blue balls of hell is going on here.!” He shouted as he waded into the crowd. Like a bull rushing into a china shop he tossed students around as he broke apart the circle. “Can't a man enjoy his lunch in peace around this goddamn school anymore!” He bellowed and his voice sounded like a bullhorn.

All eyes in the room had now switched from Daisy and Jones to Coach Coalfield. Including mine. It was clear to all he was building up a good head of steam. And once he got rolling it was hard for him to stop. “I was eating my lunch in my office. When Potter came here and told me that there was a fight going on in the lunchroom. And that Jones had started the fight by tipping over Whitethorn's lunch tray.” He muttered. His beady brown eyes scanned the lunch room.

“Bell!” He shouted. “You look like you've gone fifteen rounds with a prized boxer! Get your fucking ass to the headmasters office. Then carry your fucking ass to the nurses office. Have her sew you up the best she can. Jones, carry your sorry ass to the nurses office first. You look like you got in a fight with a punching bag and the punching bag won.”

Now, I'm sure your wondering if it's proper for a teacher to swear at students. The answer is yes, and no. Normally a normal teacher would not swear toward a student. But Coach Coalfield was a different case. He was an army veteran and had done one to many tours in the sandbox. His jet black hair was always mowed into a crew cut. He always smelled of Old Spice aftershave and loved to brag about the men he killed, the women he banged and the medals he won.

I'm sure your asking yourself why in the world did the school hire him then? I can answer that question right now, because we needed a new football coach after the old one had dropped dead of a heart attack last year. And the talent pool for new teachers is shallower than puddle in summer in this part of Mississippi.

He then look around and peered toward Jamie who was just standing there, rooted in the ground.

“Potter!” I heard him roar as he peered Jamie. “You're a prefect! Damn that system to hell though. One of those damn reforms the new head is pushing through. Anyway you're in charge of your fellow students. Take charge then of Bell here and send him to the heads office. On the double girl.” He shouted as Jamie rushed toward Daisy and took him by the shoulder.

“Take note Potter.” I heard him shout at the top of his lungs. “James Donald Bell, Sophomore, was caught fist cuffing with John Paul Jones during lunch. For what reason, I'm not sure of.” He said as he looked around. I then saw him march up to Daisy and peer into his eyes. I heard him grow. “You ruin my chance at state boy. I will end your girly fucking ass do you hear me.”

“Pardon me sir.” I said stepping up.

“Whitethorn?” He said, peering at me. “What happened to you? Looks like somebody spilled their lunch all over you. You know you're supposed to eat your food don't you. Not play with. I thought they taught you that in kindergarten.” He muttered.
I took a deep breath.

“Sir. Jones knocked my tray over and poured my milk over my head. Daisy here was just defending me sir. I don't think he should be sent to the headmaster's office for that.” I said, taking a deep breath. “He also called me a slur. Sir.” I added trying to keep my cool.

“And what slur would that be.” He said as he looked around, it seemed the whole had gathered in the lunchroom to watch this unfolding drama. No doubt somebody would be tweeting about it or posting it on Facebook before the day was out.

“He called me a tranny sir.” I said blushing at the word.

“Well.” Coach Coalfield just smirked a little. “Considering you prance around school wearing a TransPride Pin pinned to the front of your school satchel along with the  Gaypride pin. You do kind of paint a target on your back.” He said. He spun around and turned toward Jamie who was flushing a bright red.

“Potter, I want you to add to that note the following,” He took a deep breath. “That James Donald Bell, Sophomore, known as 'Daisy' to his classmates and peers. Was 'Defending' a young 'Lady' from being bullied. I'm sure the young hero would be expecting a medal and parade held in his honor for his daring display of chivalry.”

I swear at that moment Daisy looked like he wanted to reach out and box the coach's ears. His face flushed red and he lifted his lips to show his teeth. The coach just smiled.

“Potter.” growled as he shifted his eyes toward Jamie. “Do your job and take charge of Bell. And see a change of uniform is found for Whitethorn. Also get her cleaned up.”

And with that he turned around on his heel and started to march toward Paul Jones.

“Jones, you're with me. I'm going to see that Nurse Cindy snitches you up good.” He said as he placed his big, meaty hands upon Jones' big shoulders. He then guided Jones out of the lunch room.

I blinked and blinked again as I watched the two walk away. I then headed toward Jamie. Who had produced from her pocket a cord of red ribbon she seemed to think for a moment before she stuffed the ribbon back into her pocket. A moment later she turned toward Daisy and sighed.

“You, you, they're going to flog you for this right?” I heard her say to Daisy who just blinked.

“Your going to get the cane you know that right? It might even be public. Like in front of the whole school as a warning to those who might consider fighting. They're going to make an example of you. Don't you understand, you attacked a football player? They are going to crucify you!” I heard Jamie mutter under her bread.

“They crucified Christ.” Daisy said as closed his head. “Anyway, don't you have a job to do.” He said as he muttered he then looked at me.

“Hey! You okay?” He asked.

“I'm fine.” I said as I peered toward Daisy. “What about you?”

“A few scratches, a few cuts. Nothing much. I've been in far worse scraps in the backstreets of Vicksburg. Heck that was nothing compared to some of the fights I've been in in the school yard of St. Katherine.” He said with a big of a swagger.

“Okay, sorry for breaking up this little talk. But Cerridwen I need to get you to the girls shower and get you a spare uniform. I'll wash your uniform for you.. and Daisy I need to get you to the head office.” She said with a sigh. “Listen again.”

Daisy peered into Jamie blue eyes and said nothing. Jamie sighed and without saying a word she reached over and took Daisy by the shoulder and started to march him away.

“Dead man walking!” Cried somebody from the far side of the room. Then somebody else called out. “Dead man walking!” Cried out. And soon the chant of “Dead man walking.” Seemed to fill the air as Jamie guided us out. Daisy though just took a deep breath and straightened his back and seemed to smirk a little. His face was still covered with blood. He struck me as mighty handsome, dashing almost.

up
100 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos