Princess

Printer-friendly version


Princess



An “Abducted!” Contest Tale

By Melanie E.

-==-

Glorbulon looked at Smebulak and smiled. “Isn’t ze just going to love it?” Ze asked, their eye twinkling.

“Oh, absolutely!” Smebulak agreed, wiggling zis proboscis in affirmation. “Flagglezox has been asking us for one for years! But how did you find one?”

“Well, don’t tell anyone but--”

“Oh, Glorbulon, you didn’t!”

“Yep!” Glorbulon crowed, raising three pseudopods in the universal gesture of confession while making the associated trumpeting sound with his third nose. “I went down to the planet myself and found one, wandering around all alone in the middle of the woods.”

“But what if they already have an owner?”

“I checked for tags or a transmitter. All they had on ‘em was one of those little tracking devices they use for catch-and-release. A cefoon?”

“Cell phone,” Smebulak reminded zim, with a two-mouthed smile. “I still think it was a bad idea for us to seed their planet with those horrid things.”

“Oh, shush. The poor creatures aren’t even smart enough to know what they are, so it’s harmless.”

Smebulak gave a shrug with zis pseudopods, the one that always made Glorbulon’s mating udder tingle. “Oh well. I see you picked up some outfits for the little cutie as well.”

“Well, you have to, don’t you? And the poor thing was wearing green and orange when I found it. I certainly couldn’t present them to Flaggie like that!”

“Oh, certainly! This is much nicer. It reminds me of some of those primitive broadcasts they send out sometimes.”

Glorbulon and Smebulak turned as one at the sound of an air lock opening, then smiled at one another as they hid, leaving their gift sitting in its cage in the middle of the floor for Flagglezox to find.

-==-

Jonathan Reese sat on the floor and sighed.

When the strange, eldritch horror had first nabbed him, he’d been absolutely terrified. Truth be told, he was STILL terrified, but for different reasons.

He wasn’t being eaten, and that was a plus. His gun was long gone, lying somewhere in the Tennessee hills where he’d been found. That was bad.

His clothes were gone, along with his cell phone and survival tools. That was also bad. He was still dressed, at least… but he could hardly call that good.

Turning his head, he checked himself out in the mirror the strange creature had dropped in the room with him, with the little beads on a wire above the top edge. His bushy red beard and thinning hair had both been washed and teased out, with bows tied into them, and his beer belly strained against the material of the frilly cotton candy pink dress he was wearing. He considered trying once again to take the damn thing off, but knew it was futile.

Instead, Jonathan wandered over to the bowls in the corner to inspect their contents. One of them was filled with what looked like Cheetos, and the other with a substance that smelled an awful lot like Mountain Dew. Reaching out and testing both proved his suspicions correct.

He munched and drank and considered that perhaps this wouldn’t be so bad after all, while behind him, the airlock door opened, and a loud trumpeting squeal echoed through the air around him.

-==-

NOTES:
Okay, so yes, this is about 1/3 the length necessary to be a legal entry, but I'm not trying to win anyway, so it's fine. Just a silly little piece to get a few chuckles.

*hugs*

up
98 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

*giggling*

That was fun! Thank you for sharing such a cute story, Rasufelle. :)

If I can get a giggle, then I've done my job!

We've gotten a lot more serious stories out of this competition prompt than I expected to, so I felt I had to lighten it up a bit!

Melanie E.

I hate padding but ...

I am a great believer in stories coming out the length they are supposed to be, and I hate padding, but this is such a great premise and so well told as far as it goes, that it deserves to be in the contest. Obviously Flagglezox is thrilled with the gift his crew members have provided but ... just little more?
Maryanne

Nein! That's all there is!

:)

If someone else wants to take things further I'm willing to pass the torch, but I told the joke I wanted to, so that's the end of it for me.

*hugs*

Melanie E.

Green and orange?

Confused me a bit, but now it looks like they done snagged Billy Bob during huntin' season.

This could be quite entertaining and a good entry if you can get a good ending developed.

You mean this isn't ending enough?

This is as far as I intend to take it. I don't really know for sure how long I could keep the overall premise entertaining, and I felt that this short little scene was enough to get the laugh.

Melanie E.

Title

It doesn’t make sense with the story so far I’m confused.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

'Tis all there is!

Really, I don't know that I could write more on this without stretching the basic premise beyond its breaking point.

*hugs*

Melanie E.

I suppose you have disqualified yourself

But for me, it was the right length, and the title was part of the surprise element.
Ignore the requests for extension, the decision should be yours alone. It's not as if this was your first work!
I hope the judge(s) agree that the requested length was only a request rather than a requirement.
Good luck
Davre

Contestant five votes to override!

Emma Anne Tate's picture

“I didn't know we 'ad a king! I thought we were autonomous collective!”

Emma

Quality. . .

Emma Anne Tate's picture

Has a quantity all its own, as Nilats might have said. Great entry! And I agree with Dave — which I usually do. The ending is perfect!

Emma

It's certainly not in the same league as your story!

But I wasn't trying to make it so either :)

I've really enjoyed the breadth of tales we've gotten for the contest prompt so far, from the touching to the silly, and I hope everyone else is enjoying exploring them as much as I am.

Melanie E.