Faith

Printer-friendly version

Faith
By Melanie E.

This is just something that popped into my head while I was trying to fall asleep. I hope a few people here enjoy it.

The caution is only due to a fairly subdued reference, but I still felt it better to have the caution than to leave it out.

-==-

I'd always liked the fall. The crispness in the air, that smell the world gets when everything starts to transform in preparation for the hard, cold weather ahead, even the sound of the wind whistling through the trees, rustling the last of the red and gold leaves as the clung on desperately to the limbs that bore them.

This particular fall night was extra special though. Or at least I hoped it would be.

No. It would be.

I had faith.

I had been sitting on the hood of my car for a couple of hours already, waiting and listening to Eric Clapton wail from the stereo, "Can't Find My Way Home". Nobody came down these old dirt roads any more, not since the creeks had dried up a few years back thanks to the new dam and the fishing went south. An industrious digger could still find a few crawdads here and there in the muddy, sludgy mess that was left from the runoff, but all that remained of the waters of my childhood's summer getaways was this one small, silty spring-fed pond.

It had been a whole year since I'd been here last, but a promise was a promise.

I recognized the clattering sound of the engine even before its lights peeked through the underbrush behind me, and a smile spread across my lips when I watched the old S10 pull up next to my little trans am. The paint was the same white and rust mix I remembered seeing every day for such a long time. It had been exactly a year since I had seen either it or its occupant, but there was nothing new or changed about the old work truck at all.

The person who stepped out of it, though, was completely new.

It took all my willpower, but after a single curt nod I turned away from my new companion and stared out at the pond before me, listening to the frogs and crickets and idly wondering if the wavering grass growing at the edge was a snake, a rabbit, or something else. I felt the hood of my car shift, and I knew that the woman I had watched exit the truck was sitting next to me, staring out at the pond too. We'd sat like this a lot, once upon a time, talking about anything and everything, and sometimes not talking at all.

Even after all the changes both of us had gone through since the last time we had seen one another, the silence between us was still a surprisingly comfortable one.

"You came," she said quietly.

"I promised," I answered, shifting a little so I was laying on my back, staring at the stars instead of the pond.

"And if I hadn't come back?"

I smiled. "I knew you would."

My hood shifted again, and I knew that she was laying next to me, staring at the stars too.

"Did you bring it with you?" She asked, just as quietly as she had spoken before.

Instead of answering, I reached into my jacket pocket and pulled out the pistol I had taken from her a year ago. There was one round in the chamber: the same round that had been there when I had taken it from her in the first place.

"Can I have it?"

I nodded. "It's been a year, and I promised." I placed the pistol between us on the hood, the barrel facing toward the pond.

I didn't watch as she picked the gun up, though I heard the unmistakable click of the safety going off.

"Are you happy?" I asked her, continuing to look at the stars.

"Are you?" She asked.

I thought about everything that had happened in the past year. My wife was waiting for me at home with our one month old daughter, worried about what was going to happen tonight. I had a good job, and friends to stand by me.

"Yes."

More silence followed.

It could have been minutes, or it could have been hours, but as soon as I heard the 'plunk' of the pistol disappearing into the pond I felt a tight spot in my heart begin to release. I felt my car shift again, then the telltale sound of the S10's door opening.

"You should stop by home," I said, never looking away from the stars. "Mom's been worried sick about you, and I'm sure she'd be thrilled to meet her new daughter."

"What makes you so sure?"

For only the second time all night I looked over at my former twin brother and smiled. "Because I have faith."

--END--

Not much, I know, but like I said, it was just a little idea for a scene that popped into my head while I was laying in bed, and I felt compelled to share it.

up
218 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I've been there sis.....

D. Eden's picture

And now you know why my entire gun collection is currently locked up at my parents house. I spent a few nights sitting at the kitchen table staring at my M1911 Colt trying to convince myself not to pick it up and use it. The last time only the fortuitous timing of the doorbell ringing kept me from ending it all.

The funny thing about it, was that for whatever reason when I tried to ignore the doorbell, they rang it again - several times in fact. It made me angry, and when I got to the door and threw it open, I was so surprised at who was there that I almost burst out laughing.

You see, it was three Jehovah's Witnesses passing out the damned Watchtower. Ironic huh? In a way it was the intervention of God (a deity that I often yell at and defame for how screwed up my life has been) that saved me from putting a steel jacketed .45 ACP round through my skull.

Yeah, one of these days I'll feel comfortable moving them all back into my house - but not just yet, sis, not just yet.

I really liked this.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Growing up in the south,

not having a gun in the house would be considered sacrilege. Personally, though, I never plan to own one, partially for that very reason. The temptation is there all too often just knowing where my father's guns and ammo are kept; I can't imagine what would happen if I owned one of my own.

Probably less stories from me, to say the least.

Melanie E.

What about another song from Eric

I'd like another chapter about her feelings as she prepared for the meeting and how proud she was of her kind brother. Would she follow his advice?You don't suppose she dressed to the music 'Wonderful Tonight' do you?
Don't fall asleep too quickly and let's see how good you are at follow up.
Personally I like 'Tears in Heaven' but then some might find it's too sad.

Jules

Those songs miss one important tie.

At the time of the particular recording of "Can't Find My Way Home" I was thinking of Clapton was part of a small outfit called... Blind Faith.

Melanie E.

shooty bangy things!

Probably a good thing that in the UK our kind of special gals are unlikely to get their hands on a firearm!

Faith

Faith = complete trust or confidence in someone or something.

King James Bible = faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Strangely I'm much more inclined to go with the Bible's definition. At 66 I'm not inclined to trust anyone completely. I've employed hundreds of people and can say without equivocation that there is a dwindling amount of fiduciary responsibility. The less I trust people and the more I place my faith in HOPE the better I seem to do.

Many times in my life I've stared into the abyss and somehow found a path forward. My guess is that nearly everyone on this site has considered suicide. Faith is what keeps us from making that "hopeless" decision.

When churches start placing love at the top of their priorities they will deserve to help guide our faith. As it is, most seem to think hate fills their collection plates.

Christ gave us HOPE. I strongly believe that is true. You might find your HOPE in other areas. That is your choice and I sincerely HOPE for your best.

Excellent writing, Melanie!

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Creativity

NoraAdrienne's picture

I have a 4" barrel black powder pistol in my dresser drawer. The caps and powder are locked in my gun closet. If I decide it's time it will not be a snap decision.

Wonderful

Thank you.

Beautifully written,

Beautifully written, especially the descriptive passages which are outstanding.

I don't know if I'd have put the 'twin brother' bit in the last line. In stories like this, the less 'hard' information you include the more effective they tend to be.

Ban nothing. Question everything.

I kinda questioned that myself, but...

I decided that the TG implications would be too subtle without it. I know, the site it's posted on alone should be clue enough, but it still nagged at me. Perhaps if I go back and clean things up a bit later I'll remove it, but I tend to prefer to leave my BC stories as-is on the site, warts and all.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the descriptive stuff, too. I tend not to use a whole lot of description in my writing, not because I don't like it, but because for some reason when it's MY stories it always feels like it slows things down too much, and then I have a story that should have lasted a good 15k words wrapped up in 5 because I skipped pretty much anything resembling description.

*shrug*

Melanie E.

Not much but

tmf's picture

Not much, but beautifully written. Thanks.

Big sweet hugs tmf

Peace, Love, Freedom, Happiness

Went perfect with, . . .

That middle swallow of a cold 16 oz. ______ ! Any who have ever coaxed a troubled brother 'back from the brink', needs to enjoy this !! Thanks!!. . . . . jjc

johncorc1

O for friends and a good journey...

Because it is not always the case, joy fills my heart.

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

A very concise, wonderfully

A very concise, wonderfully written little story about LOVE between two people who were born together. All the prior background of the story came clearly into focus with the comments regarding the story teller explaining his twin brother to us all, along with his acknowledgement of FAITH that he had that everything was going to be all right; because he would be there to insure it would be. Thank you for this wonderful interplay we were given the honor of reading. Janice Lynn

A good story

I enjoyed it.