Mischief Night Magic (5)

Printer-friendly version

Mischief Night Magic
Sequel to 
Cemetery Shenanigans
Part Five: Costume Shopping 

It was around twilight when we left the parking lot of Dollar General. As we drove through the narrow streets of Benton, toward our next stop. Gwendoline seemed a little lost for words. She seemed lost in thought, she kept looking over me, and every time she would look at me she would smile. I returned the smile with one of my own. 

“You know. This is kind of fun. It's been ages since I've been into town. The town is really changing. I remember when I was your age. Benton seemed like the ends of the earth. That back before they started building the town up. At one time I was afraid Benton was just going to dry up, you know. Back in the early two thousands they closed up the saw-mill, and once the saw-mill folded we thought the final nail had been driven into the coffin. You know, Benton seemed to just bleed business and downtown looked like a ghost town.” She said as she slowly drove down the crowded downtown area. Both sides of the street were packed with business that seemed to be doing a booming trade.

“But you live in town?” I said blinking. I normally let Gwendoline ramble when she starts talking about the past. It's fun to just sit back and listen to her talk about growing up in the early two thousands.

“I do. It's just I don't get out much. I have no reason to.” She said, “Besides the once a week trip to the supermarket. And the twice a week trip to the post office. I really have no reason to leave the cemetery. And I get most of my stuff from Amazon anyway.” She added as she peered toward me. 

“So.” I said, taking a deep breath. “Where did you go to school? I'm sure you went to Benton Academy, I mean most of the Potters attend Benton Academy right? I mean from what I can tell, the Potter family pretty much founded the school.” 

“Yes, it's kind of a family tradition, you know. I mean old man Sherman Potter is the one who donated the land the school was built on and put up five thousand dollars for the construction of the school. That was back when five thousand dollars was a lot of money. It's still a lot of money, don't get me wrong. But back then  minimum wage was like twenty five an hour. And cokes were like a nickel a piece and a quarter could get you into the movies and another quarter could buy you a large popcorn and a large drink.” Gwendoline said. She then paused. And then as if it was nothing more than an afterthought she added. “That was before my time.”

I nodded my head and a peaceful silence seemed to fall between us. Fifteen minutes later, Gwendoline and I were pulling into the parking lot of what I must say is a Halloween superstore. The mascot of the store, a smiling grim reaper knock off, peered down at us. The store was located on Cotton Exchange Street and used to be an old cotton warehouse. Beside it was “Little John and Robin Hood Tavern” which was closed for now. And above the tavern was the old “Way Cafe” rumored to be haunted by the ghost of a teenage girl who killed herself. Benton seemed to be crawling with ghosts.

“So.” Gwendoline said as she stepped out of the car. “You know what you want to be?” She said as she started toward the front door.

“Not really.” I said, rolling my shoulders. “I wanted to cosplay as Alice, but then somebody told me that Lily Potter's going to be Alice. So that scratched that idea.” I added.
“What's wrong with there being two Alice's?” Inquired Gwendoline as she shifted her attention toward me as both she and I walked into the shop. We were greeted by a blast of warm air and the creepy cackle of a witch.

“It's a major social faux-pas to go show up for a dance wearing the same costume as somebody who's way higher on the social ladder than you are. Doing that gets your hauled before the cheerleader court. And the last girl that was hauled before the cheerleader court went fishing for brown trout and got a nice haircut out of the deal.” I said with a sigh.

Gwendoline blinked and blinked again.

“Okay.. so.. what are you going to dress up as?” Gwendoline asked as she and I started to move toward the teenager/young adult section of the store. Both she and I were so engrossed in the conversation that we totally tuned out the weird sights and sounds that surrounded us. That included that tree with the creepy eyes that moved its withered branches up and down while making a rattling sound.

“First off. Nobody says 'Dressing-up' anymore. We call it 'Cosplaying' that the proper term.” I said as I started to browse the racks. “And I don't know, thinking about some kind of maid outfit I was going to go full bunny suit, but I don't think you'll approve.”

Gwendoline rolled her eyes at the bunny suit comment. 

“Heather, you don't have the rack for one yet. Next year though sweetheart. The boob fairy might have finally made her away from visiting you and might have finally blessed that flat as a board chest of yours. But till then let's try to think with our heads and not our libido's.” Gwendoline said with a small smile as she stepped back and watched me dig through the rack of clothing.

“Whatever. So what are you going to be this year?” I asked as I kept flipping through the racks. Most of the costumes seemed sealed in some kind of plastic bag, so I could only judge the contents by the cheap looking photo stock photo that was in front.  Most of them seemed boring and dull, with such names as  'Sexy Nurse' and 'Flirty Alice and my personal favorite so far. 'Alluring Little Red Riding Hood.' What in God's good name did that even mean?!

“Oh I'm going as Benton's most enduring urban legend.” She said, smirking a little. “The one that's right up there with the 'Man Eating Tree' and 'The Headless Horsemen'.” Gwendoline as she found a nearby bench to sit on while I did my shopping. 

“Oh?” At last I'd seemed to stumble across a costume that was both within my price range and one that totally fitted my taste in fashion and hobbies. The costume was a black and white Lolita-Gothic inspired maid dress that was sexual enough to be alluring and yet modest enough to past the strict dress code that some old as the earth teacher would try to enforce. The package simply said. “Japanese Maid”.

“Yes.” Gwendoline said, smiling sweetly. “I'm going to be going as the famous 'Bloody Bride' , the ghost you really wanted to get a picture of. In fact you wanted to get a picture so bad that you trespassed into the city's cemetery in hopes of snapping a picture of her.” Gwendoline took a moment and paused. “Instead you got a scolding and a spanking.” 

“That was a long time ago.” I said puffing out my cheeks in a pout.
“Do you really count a week and a few days as 'Long time Ago' my sweet, but bratty little sister. Who needs to watch her tone of voice? Before she finds herself going over my knee again. Trust me, I'm not above pulling you over my knee right here and now, and giving you a good hand spanking over that skirted bottom. And when we get home. I'll be sure to make that a bare bottom spanking.” Gwendoline countered.

“It seems like a long time ago.” I added.

Gwendoline went silent at that remark.

“Okay, did you find something you like?” Gwendoline asked as she peered at me.

“Sure did.” I said holding up the clear plastic package. I swear I saw the gears inside Gwendoline's head starting to turn as she peered toward the package. Finally she rolled her shoulders and heaved a heavy sigh. 

“I was hoping for a cute, pink princess costume. But I guess you're at that age when cute costumes seem boring and you want something to draw attention to your developing body. So I'll give this one the Gwendoline seal of approval.” She said, hanging her head. She then lifted her head and a mischief smile came across her face.

“Also I wanted you to know that I'd volunteered to be one of the chaperons at the dance.” Gwendoline said with a smile. “After all, I have to keep a careful eye on my little sister, who is after all attending her first real dance and being social for the first time in her life.” 

“Why would I need a chaperon?” I inquired as I started to check out the stand. Another girl around my age was working the cash register. She was dressed in a kind of a knock off vampire costume. She looked bored and her eyes seemed glued to the clock above her head. No doubt she was counting down the remaining seconds, minutes and hours of her shift.

“Because some young, gallant, gentleman may try to talk you into the backseat of his car and try to put the moves on you. And while you can't become pregnant. I'm going to treat you like you can.” Gwendoline said in a matter of fact tone of voice.

“How about I want to have a little fling.” I said without thinking as the board girl started to scan items. Without thinking I added some temporary blue hair dye to the shopping list.

“Then I'll enroll you in a six week safe-sex course they give out once every three months at the local free clinic. And once you've completed the course. I'll allow you to chase any man you want too. Also I will demand that you carry with you a condom for your safety and his.” Gwendoline said in a matter of fact tone of voice. “And that you get tested after each little encounter.” 

My face turned beet red.

The girl behind the register just blinked and peered toward me and Gwendoline before in a bored tone of voice said.

“Okay your total comes to thirty three sixty two.” She said as she peered toward both of us. I felt like she was secretly judging me. It really put me on edge.
Without saying a word Gwendoline stepped forward and handed the girl her plastic debt card. The girl ran the card and a few moments later handed the card back to Gwendoline with a paper receipt. She then placed the costume and the hair dye in a plastic bag and handed it to me.

“Thank you for shopping at Spirit's. And have a spooky Halloween.” 

As we were leaving the shop. I turned to Gwendoline and said.

“I feel that girl was judging me.” I said as I drew closer to her.

“Oh she was. Girls judge other girls. The way you were talking gave off the impression that you were loose. And given you look twelve instead of fifteen and the fact that you're only fifteen. I'm sure that gave the girl the wrong impression of you.” Gwendoline said with a sigh. “But don't pay it much mind. I'm good at sewing and I can sew some padding to help fill out your a little more.” 

I blinked and blinked again.

“So, why are you going to go as the famous 'Bloody Bride'?” I asked as I stepped into the car.

“I have my own reasons. Also since I paid for your costume would you mind helping out with the 'All Soul's Mass. Fr. Bell, the new rector of St. Mary's Episcopal Church will be conducting the service at. St. Christina the Astonishing. That is a small Anglican Church located in the cemetery. Fr. Bell says Mass there every Friday at noon and during Lent leads a small congregation in Stations of the Cross before Mass at Noon.”

I blinked. 

“St. Christina the Astonishing is like this small stone looking Gothic church that is located on this hill that overlooks the graves. It's kind of new, like it only opened its doors in two thousand eighteen. It has a small, but faithful congregation of around seventy five people who attend Mass each week. And around twenty five people attend Morning and Evening Prayer the other days. St. Christina the Astonishing is more 'Anglo-Catholic' that St. Mary's and they tend to favor the Anglican Missal over the Book of Common Prayer.”

I nodded my head.

“I guess we need to get you a Sunday Dress too.” Gwendoline said with a sigh. “Fr. Bell is going to start holding an Eight O' clock Mass on Sunday morning for St. Christina the Astonishing. Before going to St. Mary's Episcopal Church for Ten O' Clock Mass.  And before you say a word. I'll be picking out the Sunday dress. There is no way in God's green earth I'm going to let you walk into St. Christina the Astonishing dressed like some little Jezebel. Those other little tramps at First Methodist and Second Presbyterian can attend services looking like Memphis street walkers. But not my Heather, oh no. Trust me on that.”

I was afraid to say anything so I just nodded my head.

“You're going to be veiled like any proper Southern Belle!” She hooted. “And the dress is going to be fitting and modest. When you go up to take communion you're going to picture a perfect example of how a young woman should be!” She added. “That or my name is not Gwendoline Maria Potter!”
“Okay...” I said smiling. “I can't wait!”

And with that another chapter comes to an end. Stay tuned for one more chapter left in 'Mischief Night Magic'. And that one is a real page turner. Trust me, you don't want to miss it.

up
56 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos