The Witch Hunt Chapter 05

Printer-friendly version

Before Zoe knew it, the first day of school came. And when that day came, she knew that the time had come to carry out the mission Mr. Al had given her and Miles. She didn't know if she'd have any classes with Skylar, but she was going to keep an eye out.

"Okay, Zoe," Zoe's dad said when he dropped her off at the front of the school. "Be careful with that girl Skylar. Don't let her know you're on to her."

"I'll try not to," said Zoe. She hugged her dad before getting out of the car and going up to the school's front gate. Almost at once she ran into Miles. "Hey Miles," she said. "Ready to go witch hunting?"

"Ready as I'll ever be," Miles answered.

Zoe and Miles both went to their First Period class, which was English. They watched as the rest of their classmates filed in and took their seats. But Skylar wasn't among them. "No Skylar," Zoe said to Miles in an undertone.

"Just be patient," said Miles. "We're bound to run into her sooner or later."

After the period was over, Zoe and Miles had to part ways, as they had different classes for Third Period. To their disappointment, neither of them had a class with Skylar in Third Period. But when they reunited for the Lunch period, they were in for a little more luck.

"Is that club rush?" Miles asked, noticing a line of tables set up in the school's courtyard.

"I think so," Zoe answered.

"We should check it out," said Miles. "If Skylar's part of any of those clubs, then that might be our ticket to getting in with her."

So Zoe and Miles went to the club rush area and started looking around. Zoe didn't recognize anyone at the first few tables, but then she noticed Alan Chase at a table. "Hey Miles," Alan said when he saw Miles.

"Hi Alan," said Miles. "How'd your summer go?"

"It was alright," Alan answered. "Where's Zack?"

"Oh...he went to live with his uncle in Canada," Miles answered.

"That's too bad," said Alan. He looked at Zoe and said "And who are you?"

"I'm Zoe," said Zoe. "Zack's parents adopted me over the summer, and now Miles is helping me adjust to this new school."

Alan nodded. "Nice to meet you Zoe," he said. "If you ever see Zack, tell him I said hi."

Zoe nodded, a little sadly. As Zack, he'd known Alan Chase. He was the class president at Interstellar High, and Zack had gotten somewhat close with him over the years. But now that Zack was "gone," Zoe had essentially lost her history with Alan. Somewhere in her mind, she hoped that they could come out with the truth about how Zack had turned into Zoe and she could pick up where she left off with everyone. Of course, doing that would end up blowing her cover with this whole Skylar operation.

"Anyway," Alan went on, "I'm hosting a breast cancer awareness club this year. Miles, you know my mom died of breast cancer earlier this year-I'm hoping we can get a memorial built for her in the park."

"That's great," said Miles.

"Want to join?"

"Well..."

"Excuse me," said a new voice. Zoe and Miles turned and saw that, to their surprise, Skylar Gregson was approaching Alan's table. As usual, she was flanked by four or five other girls. "Hi Alan," said Skylar. "I hear this is where you're holding signups for the breast cancer awareness club?"

"It is all right," Alan replied. "Want to join?"

"Of course!" Skylar answered. She grabbed a pen and wrote her name on the signup sheet. "My mom's a breast cancer survivor."

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah. And we all know about what happened to your mom."

Alan nodded. "Well, thanks Skylar," he said. "Our first meeting's gonna be after school on Thursday."

Zoe and Miles exchanged glances. Both of their looks were clear: We're signing up. Once Skylar and her cronies were gone, Zoe grabbed the pen and wrote her name on the paper. Miles did the same when she was done.

"Thanks, guys," said Alan. "Look forward to seeing you on Thursday."

***

After lunch came Fifth Period. Zoe's class for the period was Pre-Calculus. At first, she didn't really recognize anyone else in the class, but her heart leapt when she saw Brittany Meier come in. What made Zoe even more excited was when Brittany saw that there weren't any seats left and sat at the table with Zoe. "Hi," said Brittany. "You look kind of familiar. Do I...know you?"

"No," Zoe lied. "I'm new here."

Brittany nodded. "My name's Brittany," she said. "What's yours?"

"I'm Zoe."

"Nice to meet you. Where are you from?"

"I'm from, uh...around here. The Fletcher family adopted me over the summer."

"Fletcher...as in Zack Fletcher?"

"Yeah, those Fletchers."

"I remember Zack," said Brittany. "How do you like him?"

Oh my, Zoe thought. Brittany remembered him! "He's cool," said Zoe. "But he went to go live with his-or I guess our-uncle in Canada."

"Ah," said Brittany. "That's too bad. He seemed like a good guy."

"He was," said Zoe. "I just wish he didn't leave." She wanted all too badly to tell Brittany the truth, that she was really Zack, and she'd had a crush on Brittany for ages, and she still retained that crush despite being female now, but that was out of the question.

"But you seem cool too," said Brittany.

"Same with you."

"You're kind of pretty," said Brittany. "Do you have a boyfriend?"

"No. Do you?"

"Yes. His name's Tim. I met him over the summer."

"Oh." Zoe's excitement at Brittany remembering her as Zack, and thinking she was pretty, was starting to fade. "He doesn't...go to this school, does he?"

"Yes, he does," Brittany answered. "He's a Senior."

"And you're a Junior, right?"

"Right."

Zoe nodded. "Well, hopefully I'll find someone soon," she said.

"Yeah," said Brittany. "Good luck."

***

The next day, Zoe had Second, Fourth, and Sixth Period. She had Second and Fourth Periods with Miles, but not Sixth Period. That one was P. E, and it was the last period that day. But when Zoe was lining up on the blacktop outside the gym, she noticed Skylar lining up with the rest of the kids in her class. That meant she had the same P. E. class as Skylar!

Zoe's heart hammered as the P. E. teacher took role and then sent them into the locker room to change into their P. E. clothes. She'd already gotten into a club that Skylar also signed up for, but having a class with her-that would give her an extra edge! Zoe thought about going after Skylar in the locker room to try and connect with her, but she thought better of it. Right now, it was probably better to just play it cool for now.

Zoe found a bench between the lockers and started to change her clothes. All around her, the rest of the girls were taking off their shirts, pants, and skirts to reveal their bras and panties. Some of them were even taking off their regular bras to swap them out with sports bras. If Zoe were still Zack, she would've been in Heaven. Now? She felt...some titillation, but not as much as before. Zoe supposed that made sense-since she was a girl now, she'd be more naturally attracted to boys. Even though she still felt a crush on Brittany? Probably better not to question it.

"Hey," someone asked. Zoe looked around and saw that girl Avery from Mr. Al's orphanage. "Hey Zoe."

"Hey Avery," said Zoe. "I didn't notice you here."

"Well, I noticed you," said Avery. "And you know who else I noticed? Skylar."

"What-did Mr. Al tell you about-"

"No, Miles did," said Avery. "He told me Mr. Al gave you a mission, and that I could help too."

Zoe nodded. "Well, me and Miles already signed up to be in the breast cancer awareness club," she said, "Which Skylar also signed up for."

"Good," said Avery. "And you and I both have P. E. with Skylar, so..."

"That's a start," said Zoe. "Hopefully it'll amount to something."

To be continued...

up
135 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos