The Courtship of Cerridwen Circe Whitethorn (4)

Printer-friendly version

The Courtship of Cerridwen Circe Whitethorn
Chapter 4: Daisy Cooking

It was raining the following Monday. And when I say it rained, it came down in sheets, stainless steel colored rain clouds darken the sky and peals of thunder echoed across the land. The wind drove the rain hard against the window panes of the school and bolts of white hot lighting crisscrossed the sky. Thunderstorms down here in Dixie were something to be feared and admired. I loathed and loved them. I loathed them because I hated the sound of thunder, I loved them because the air always seemed a bit fresher after a tremendous downpour.

As was quickly becoming our normal routine Daisy and I found ourselves eating our lunches together in the nurse's office. The room seemed a little cooler, Dawn who loved rain had the windows cracked. Speaking of Dawn she was knee deep into her manuscript, she was having a bit of a writer's block so she seemed to just sit there and brood. So Daisy and I had the chance to just sit around and casually chat. It was really hard for me to see Dawn as an adult or a member of staff. I mean she was only twenty three, but she does not act like she is twenty three, she acts more like she is eighteen or nineteen. In a good way that is.

“Man.” Daisy said peering out the window. “It's pouring cats and dogs outside.” He said rolling rolling his shoulders before returning to his small beef bowl. It was Daisy's turn to bring lunch today. And you know, today I discovered that the boy could really cook. I know in anime it's often the girl who does most of the cooking for the group, but Daisy, well his cooking might even be better than mine. Today's lunch was white rice, tempura catfish, tempura gulf coast shrimp, chilled green tea, three small beef bowls and oddly enough cornbread. It was a strange blend of Japanese and classic southern cooking.

“OMG!” Dawn said as she popped a piece of tempura catfish into her mouth. “Daisy!” She yelled. “This is amazing! You should totally go to culinary school after you've graduated high school.” Dawn said as she reached over with a pair of chopsticks to pick up another piece of catfish.

I narrowed my eyes at Dawn and smirked a little. The tempura catfish was indeed good, Daisy had skillfully sliced the catfish filets paper thin and then had dropped them into a smooth tempura batter and had masterfully fried them up golden brown. The crust was smooth and fluffy and the fish was cooked to perfection. I could tell he had seasoned the fish before hand with Tony Chachere's seasoning salt, a staple found at any southern table.

“Its good,” I said, “I should make you cook more often.” I said in a teasing tone of voice.

“Aunt Josephine is showing a few tricks of the trade.” He said, smirking a little. “Aunt Josephine did attend culinary school, and used to work at one of the boats in Vicksburg before she decided to become a stay at home mom.”

“Is that how you came to stay with the Crofts?” Dawn asked as she peered toward Daisy.

“Yep, My Grandmother Rebecca Daisy Bell had four children, three boys and one girl. She spaced them apart. My dad was the middle boy. His older brother was the first to get married and he has two children. A boy and a girl, he also has a good paying job with the Corps of Engineers down at their Vicksburg station.” He said blushing. “I rarely see them though. He and my dad don't really get along. I only see them twice a year and that is at Christmas and Easter Mass, if I'm lucky.”

I nodded my head and snatched up a few more pieces of fish, and a few more pieces of shrimp for good measure. This stuff was good! I would totally marry Daisy for his cooking alone.

“Oh and the girl?” Dawn asked as she started to shovel a mountain of rice into her mouth.

“My Aunt Lisa was killed in a tragic, not so tragic car wreck about two and a half years ago.” Daisy said, shrugging. His shoulders. “I was about eleven and a half. When it happens.”

“So that's how you're kin to Madeline?” I asked as I put some more pieces of fried fish into my mouth. The smooth texture of the breading, the seasoning of the fish, and the delightful creole punch settled the matter. I would get Daisy to cook for us more often.

“Yep, its a tangled web. We don't have a family tree, we have a family bush.” Daisy said, “Dad's oldest brother married Marian Ford. She is the older sister to Heather Ford, who's the hostess of Heather's House Party, he's the one who works with the Corps of Engineers down at Vicksburg.” Daisy paused, “My Dad William Bell is a lawyer and runs a local law firm down in Vicksburg.. I one older sister her name is Susan and and one adopted sister named Linda.” Daisy paused again. “My dad's youngest brother decided to become a priest. An Episcopal priest.” Daisy said with a sigh. “Anyway it seems like the career path for me, either going to culinary school or seminary. Mom wants me to become a famous chef. Dad says it's really up to me.”

“What do you want to do with your life Daisy?” I asked as I leaned in. I guess being a good girlfriend is letting your boyfriend vent from time to time. I mean honestly Daisy was not really venting right now, but he was opening his heart a little. And if he felt safe and secure enough to open his heart. Maybe I should open my heart too.

“I don't know.” Daisy said with a sigh. “I'd thought about going into office management or something like that. Mom, like I said, wants me to either become a chef or become a lawyer like my dad. My uncle wants me to really consider the priesthood, he says it's a hard but rewarding career. I guess it's a toss up between going to law school and becoming a lawyer like my dad or going to seminary and becoming a priest like my uncle.”

Dawn at this point nodded her head and then decided to enter into our conversation.

“How about you Cerridwen? What do you want to do after graduation?” She asked as she set her now empty lunch tray down to the side.

I blinked and blinked again as I peered toward Dawn. I then set my own food to the side. Daisy was still eating. I swear that boy could clean out an all you can eat buffet and not one ounce of weight.

“I thought about becoming a hairdresser like my mom. Mom's business is really taking off. I sometimes help her make appointments and stuff and she's often booked solid from the time she opens the door till the time she closes down the shop.” I said looking down. “But I also thought about becoming a nurse. I mean nurses are always in demand and Holmes Community College offers a two year nurse's degree. It's also close by too. Like I could drive there in about thirty or so minutes, and if I take the train I could be in downtown Goodman in like forty minutes. But I really think I would like to stay in one of the dorms.” I said blushing.

“Plus its cheap, as far as college's go. And I'm sure if I keep my grades up and I really cram for the S.A.T test I could get a really good scholarship or even attend for free.” I added.

“Your one smart cookie Cerridwen, I think nursing would suit you. I went into nursing and its been a very rewarding career so far. Though I went for a clinic based degree program. Like I'll work a ward for one semester and spend the other semester in a classroom like setting.” Dawn blinked. “I also did a few tours in the E.R and trust me guys, working the E.R in South Jackson was like living an episode of M.A.S.H '' She said shivering.

“Gunshot wounds, stabbing, gangsters coming into the E.R to finish off what they started on the streets. It was something, plus don't get me started on the child abuse cases that I saw on a daily bases. It was something, but Fr. Bell was our hospital chaplain and he really helped us all. I mean if your going to be a priest Daisy, you'll find a good mentor in your uncle. I remember seeing him holding the hand of a well known drug lord who was just pouring out his soul to him. The man was just riddled with bullet holes, and your uncle just held his hand and stroked it.” Dawn blinked.

Both Daisy and I blinked.

“Anyway , I had to get away from it all. Too much death, too much blood. Too many car wrecks. I think the most heartbreaking thing was, about two and a half years ago. This kid came in. Him and his mom had been in a terrible wreck. The kid was bruised to hell and back, bruised ribs, sprained ankle, just bruised and battered. His mom was dead as a doornail.”

“Later, I found that kid was my cousin and his mom was my aunt.” Dawn said rolling her shoulders. “Its really a small world after all.” She added. “Anyway nursing is a demanding career field that demands you put your best foot forward each and every day. It's going to test you girl in ways you never expected to be test, but it's also rewarding and the pay is decent enough.”

Daisy and I blinked again.

The priesthood is a calling, though. And like nursing it's hard. It takes a lot to run a parish, and sometimes it weighs on you. But your stronger than you look and if your faith is strong and you believe totally in yourself you'll be a good one.” And with that Dawn finished off her twenty ounce coke-cola she then tossed the empty bottle into the nearby trashcan.

“Anyway, that's Dawn's career advice for the day. And lunch time is almost over. Thank you again Daisy for the wonderful lunch. And I have a meeting with the school board this afternoon, so I'm shutting up shop early. I trust you two to clean up after yourselves, lock the door and see yourselves to class and not spend the whole afternoon here necking or doing what boyfriend and girlfriends do.” And with that Dawn left. Leaving Daisy and I along.

I was tempted to start up a conversation with Daisy but one quick glance at the revealed that we had only fifteen or so minutes left on our lunch break. With that in mind, we quickly started to clean up. With Daisy and I working together it took only five minutes for us to get everything put away. I was just about to leave when Daisy called out to me.

“Hey Cerridwen, mind if I walk you to class?” He said blushing as he pulled his blue blazer on.

“Sure!” I said, smiling a little. “I have Earth Science next.. its right down the hall.” I said picking up my backpack. A few seconds later Daisy was walking right beside me, and before we could catch ourselves we found ourselves holding hands. I felt a blush color on my high cheekbone as I felt the palm of his strong hand in mine. It caused my heart to race.

“I had fun this weekend. Really, it was the most fun I'd had since coming here to Benton.” He said smiling as he peered toward me. “I've also been enjoying our lunch dates. It gives me something to look forward to.” He quickly added.

“I have too.” I said blushing. “And you're a great cook, you should cook more often.” I added. At that very moment the first warning bell started to ring and the hallway was soon filled with students and teachers trying and failing to direct the flow of traffic. Daisy and I moved along with the crowd.

“Hey! Cerridwen are you free this weekend?” Daisy yelled. The way he shouted it out made me think that he'd been wrestling with this question for a while now. Maybe since our last date or something.

“Sure.” I said, smiling sweetly at him. “Why?”

“I was wondering if you might like to go to the skating rink with me.” He said blushing as he peered toward the ground.

At that very moment a small smile formed upon my face, 'The Skating Rink' was one of those stables of Benton, it was located on Old Highway 16, a old concrete highway that use to connect Benton with neighboring Yazoo City, a fair number of business, mostly mom and pop stores and gas stations dotted the route.
“Sure.” I said smiling and with that I leaned up and kissed him on the cheeks. A moment later I heard the shrill cry of a whistle being blown. And there standing in front of us was a blonde hair, blue eyed, petite woman. Her arms were folded across her chest and she was glaring at us. A silver disk was pinned to the left breast pocket of her uniform. The words 'Prefect' were stamped upon the metal surface.

“I suggest you two get to class.” She said as she peered toward Daisy and I. “I don't feel like giving my little brother and little sister detention because you were both late for class.” She added. The woman's name was Jamie Sarah Potter, student appointed princess, and now first generation prefect of Benton Academy. You see adopting the prefect system had been another one of the reforms that had taken place over the summer.

“Yes ma'am.” I said blushing as I smiled toward Daisy.

“See you Daisy!” I called out and with that I vanished into my classroom. Has another stone been laid? Were we taking things too quick? Or were we taking things too slow? Sighing, I took my seat, dug out my text book and notepad. Classes started a few minutes later, and I tried to pay attention to the lesson. I really did, but my head was spinning with questions. Questions that needed to be answered and only one person to answer those questions and his name was Daisy.

To be continued.

up
42 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos