The Adventures of Jamie Potter: Jamie Play's Dotty

Printer-friendly version

A deep blush colored my face as I peered into the floor length mirror. The reflection showed a girl with blonde hair, baby blue eyes, and a petite frame. The girl was also dressed in one of the most embarrassing costumes I've ever laid eyes on. The costume was a short white dress with black spots. The accessories included a purple dog collar with a golden nameplate that read 'Jamie' engraved on it. And last but not least a pair of black dog ears. A small sigh escaped my lips as I spun around. This has to be the dumbest thing I've ever volunteered to do. And I've done a lot of dumb stuff too since becoming Jamie.

Now, I'm sure you're wondering why I'm dressed like a dog? Well to answer your question its because my best friend talked me into volunteering to play 'Dotty The Dalmatian Princess' a popular Saturday Morning cartoon always seems to be playing on PBS Kids. Think Clifford the Big Red Dog infused with My Little Ponies. Yes, as horrible as that sounds, it's what the cartoon is like. I use to watch it when I was eight. That was about  eight years ago, and yes it's still running. It's been running for eighteen or so seasons and still going strong. Heck, there is even a cult following of the show on the internet and maybe even one or two conventions. It's weird okay.

Anyway, each month or every few months the newly opened Benton Animal Rescue, our town's only no kill animal shelter sponsors a charitable stunt were somebody cosplay's as Dotty and gets covered in a few buckets of chili after performing a few tricks, like fetch, rollover, speak and shake for the amusement of the crowd.  Yes people donate to see how many tricks the person in question must perform and how many buckets of chili get dumped on them. It's weird, but then again, when it comes to helping animals, no sacrifice is too great I suppose.

“Oh this is so embarrassing!” I said aloud as I turned around from the floor mirror, folded my arms under my breast and sunk my head down. “And is so dumb too! And all my friends will be here too! And all my cheer sisters!” I said pouting a little. 

Then it dawned on me, most of my fellow cheerleaders had donated to see me perform those tricks too! The whole squad had collectively donated around three hundred dollars or so, the football team had donated another three hundred dollars, the soft ball team another two hundred, both the girls and boys basketball teams had donated around a hundred dollars a piece. And the girls track team inspired by my friend Lana had donated around another hundred dollars, and the boys track team, not wanting to be outdone, donated another one fifty.

Add in another hundred dollars collected from the other students. Then it was the business, Sweet Magnolia the maid-theme cafe my sister and her best friend Robin operate donated a hundred dollars, Ginger Evans Bakery and Sweet Shop donated another one hundred dollars, St. Mary's Episcopal Church donated another one hundred dollars, Edward's Butcher Shop donated another one hundred dollars, The Lost Dog Pizza Parlor, a newly opened business in the downtown area had donated around fifty dollars. Pandora's Family Hair Salon donated another fifty dollars, and All Saints Catholic church, not to outdone by the local Episcopal Church donated a whopping two hundred dollars.

So yes, Madeline was right, by volunteering for this little stunt I'd proven to myself that I was still as popular as ever, but maybe a little too popular. A gentle sigh escaped my lips as I turned away from the mirror.  The time was a quarter till ten.  That meant I had ten minutes before I was to go out on stage and make a total fool out of myself.

“Hey Jamie!” A voice said behind me, “You won't believe this! But the school's auditorium is freaking packed! I mean packed like you would not believe it! They even have a television crew from new channel WJTV News Channel 12 out there covering it. You're going to be on the evening news girl!” 

The voice startled me, and I quickly spun around to see who the voice belonged to. And their standing in the doorway was, much to my surprise, a girl with long brunette hair and baby blue eyes. She was wearing a pink blouse, a flora print skirt, and open toe sandals. Of course the voice had to belong to none other than my best friend, Madeline Diana Brewer.

“What are you doing here?” I asked. “I thought you'll be doing stuff at your school.” I said blushing a little. Okay I know that sounded rude but still, Madeline should be the one wearing this costume and going out on stage and performing those tricks and getting covered with chili. Not me! Even though I'm kind of the one who volunteered for it.

“Oh!” Madeline giggled a little. “Don't you know! Since I'm like your best friend forever and all that good stuff. They wanted me to be the one who would guide you out on stage, help you perform the tricks, and then in the end gunge you!” She said smiling as she folded her hands behind her back and swayed from one side to the other. “I even brought a cute little leash.” She said holding up a pink nylon leash. 

I felt my jaw drop a few inches as I peered toward Madeline, if looks could kill then Madeline would be as good as dead. It took her a few minutes but soon Madeline noticed the look I was giving her, she responded the only way she could by shrugging her shoulders and giving me a smile. The girl could charm a viper.

“Hey! You volunteered for this!” She said as she strolled up to me. “Plus, like I said, they have a television crew from WJTV News Channel 12 out there. They're going to broadcast this live across the whole freaking state! Heck I think even some parts of Arkansas and and Louisiana will get it.” Madeline paused. “Heck girl your going to be the most most famous Dotty there ever was!”

“Joy!” I said, sighing. “Okay! But you're volunteering next time they need somebody to play Dotty!” 

At this Madeline paused and then after a few moments, a few moments of mentally debating I hoped. She nodded her head and sighed. 

“Okay! I'll volunteer for the next event. Are you happy?” She said, shaking her head from one side to the other. “Anyway! Your adoring fans are waiting for you.” She said walking over and clipping the leash to the collar. “So come along Jamie girl, we're going to go for a walk.”

At that very moment I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me whole. Instead though I allowed myself to be led from the dressing room through the backstage area. And before you could shake a stick, I was being guided onto stage.

The first thing I noticed was the crowds, it seemed all of Benton Academy and then some had somehow managed to stuff themselves into the old auditorium. The moment the crowds noticed me was the moment and deafening cheer filled the air. Whistles, hoots, and the clapping of hands thundered in my ear and made the old concrete walls vibrate.

“Go Jamie!” Shouted somebody from the back.
“We love you Jamie!” Shouted another student. 

I felt a little chill run down my body. But then a small smile started to form upon the bow of my lips as I started to wave toward the crowd.

“Good afternoon Benton Academy!” Shouted Madeline at the top of her lungs. “My name is Madeline Diana Brewer and I'm going to be your hostess this afternoon.” Madeline had a dazzling sprayed across her lips peering out at the crowd.

The crowd broke out in cheer.

“Anyway! Benton Academy, you princess, the lovely Ms. Jamie Sarah Potter here has agreed to take on the role of Dotty and entertain you this afternoon! Jamie did an amazing job raising money too, and you guys have been so generous with your donations. I mean counting the last minute donations, you guys have raised close to twenty one hundred dollars!” Madeline said with a broad smile.

I blinked and blinked again and allowed a low whistle to escape my lips. Twenty one hundred dollars was a good bit of pocket change for this small country town. It kind of filled me with a sense of pride that I'd managed to raise so much in such little time. I mean, I've pretty much shattered last year's record of fifteen hundred dollars that Rebecca Coleman managed to raise when she volunteered to play Dotty.

“And because you guys were so kind and generous that means Jamie here will be doing all the tricks and getting not one, not two, but three full buckets of puppy chow poured over her at the end!” Madeline said smiling as she twirled the cord of the microphone around her fingers and smiled toward the crowd. And the crowd answered with a roar of approval.

“Also.” Madeline said, smirking a little as she reached down into her pocket. “I have a few treats for our lovely princess.” She said as she pulled out a small red and yellow package. “Here I have a few dog biscuits as rewards.” She said smirking a little

I blinked and blinked again as I peered toward the package that Madeline was holding in her hand. And at that moment I wanted to bark for real. Because Madeline was holding in her hand was a snack size package of my favorite peanut butter flavored treat, a decadent cookie that was simply called Nutter Butters. Madeline smiled toward me and winked. That is the problem with best friends, they know all your weaknesses.

“Okay, the first trick is fetch!” Madeline said smirking as she reached down and pulled out a small rubber ball from the pocket of her skirt. “Okay!” She said grinning as she tossed the ball across the stage, the rubber ball bounced up and down as it traveled across the stage. 

I blinked and blinked again and then muttering a quick prayer under my breath I bounded across the stage. Sighing deeply I bent down and picked the ball up with my mouth, I then carried it across the stage, then once I reached Madeline I dropped the ball down upon the ground and barked again. 

“Good girl!” Madeline said in a praising tone of voice.

I felt my cheeks flush with color as I peered toward Madeline.

“Moving on!” She said smiling as she peered toward me. “Now Speak!” She said, smiling sweetly as she bent down. “Can Jamie girl speak!”

At that point I wanted to show Madeline that Jamie could also use 'Bite!' but I decided that might get me spanked with a rolled up newspaper. Knowing Madeline, she might have a rolled up copy of 'The Benton Herald' tucked into those pockets of hers. 

“Okay are next trick is..” Madeline smirked a little as she peered toward me. “Roll over! Can Jamie girl roll over like a good little doggy?” She said smiling.

I sighed and rolled over on my back, Madeline again praised me for being 'Such a good girl!'. The next command was to sit, and that meant I had to sit like a dog. That was again embarrassing, that was followed by the command to speak. I think after this I'm going to need help, the mental kind. While all of this was going on, I started to wonder what kind of sick and twisted person would think up this idea. Okay not only think it up, but pitch it to as an idea for a fundraiser. And what kind of people would approve this idea! I really wanted to introduce them to my balled up first at this point. And then follow it up with my own trick, a high flying kick to the jawbone. Maybe the person at a pet-play fetish and this was their way of scratching that itch. I don't know and I don't care to find out.  

“Good girl!” Madeline praised again as she peered toward the crowd. “Jamie was such a good girl! But now it's lunch time!” Madeline said as she reached over and clipped the leash on me again. I swear I wanted to thrash the girl on the leash, but the thought of my revenge when Madeline played dotty made me smile. Oh yes, revenge would be sweet indeed. 

“Okay boys and girls, ladies and gentleman!” Madeline said as she ushered me across the stage. “It's now time for the main event.” She added with a wink. 

And that is when I really wanted the earth to open up and swallow me whole. Because there on the other side of the stage was this huge, plastic dog bowl. It was about the size of your average wading pool. Somebody had even taken the time to plaster huge lettered stickers on the side. The stickers spelled out the name “Jamie” and in the center of the pool there stood a wooden stool.

I took a deep breath and slowly climbed over the edge of the plastic pool and sighing I eased my bottom down upon the wooden stool. I took a deep breath and turned to face the audience. A deep blush formed across my face as I folded my hands in my lap and then because it felt right, I barked. 

“Oh!” Madeline said, smiling sweetly. “It looks like Jamie is hungry!” She said smiling as she picked up the first bucket of chili. “I guess we better go ahead and feed our puppy!” At this point I knew I was going to do everything in my power to see that Madeline raised a freaking tone of money when it was her turn to play Dotty.  As I watched Madeline lift the bucket above her head, I closed my eyes and braced for impact.

A moment later, I felt a massive landslide of brown mush starting to tumble down upon my head. The chunky brown mush seemed to tumble down upon me, the smell struck me like a bolt of lighting. It was a savory smell, it kind of reminded me of the time I busted a whole case of Worcestershire sauce while I was stocking the shelves  down at my family's store. I used to enjoy the savory smell of the sauce, but now I think I'll never enjoy it again. Then I felt the brown chunks of the stuff flow down my chest, my back.

“BARK!” was the only sound I could make to protest.

“Oh looks like Jamie girl wants more!” Madeline said, smiling sweetly. “We'll Jamie girl, we have another bucket right here.” Madeline said, smirking as she picked up the second bucket. I braced myself again and took a deep breath, a moment later, another brown, chunky avalanche came pouring down upon me, coating my blonde tresses of hair that I assumed would go from blonde to brunette once all of this was said and done.

“BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK!” I shouted at the top of my lungs. 

“Okay settle down Jamie girl or I'll have to spank you with a rolled off newspaper.” Madeline teased as she picked up the third and final bucket of chili. I closed my eyes again. Another moment passed before I felt another massive landslide of chili come spilling down on my head. The savory smell of the brown chunky gravy filled my noise and clumps of beans seemed to cover every square inch of the dress. 

“Okay Jamie girl I'm afraid that bucket we have for you today!” Madeline said, smirking. “But join us next time folks when another brave boy or girl will once again play Dotty and get fed!” 

“BARK! BARK!” Was the only thing I could say. 

“That right Jamie girl, we would like to donate to everybody who donated today too! Now before we take her out back to hose her down, cause Jamie girl was a messy eater, lets all give her a round of applause for being such a good sport and volunteering to play Dotty!” Madeline shouted at the top of her lungs. 

And that how another messy adventure of my life comes to an end.

up
47 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos