Mind, Body and Spirit Redux, Part 16

Printer-friendly version


Paula Dillon's Mind, Body and Spirit

Continued by Paula Dillon and Tigger

Part 16- Seeking a New Routine

Christie had years of intense training as a ballet student, not to mention Christie's and Charlie's years as a hard-core martial arts student. The years in both disciplines had gifted the teen with an excellent internal clock that went off even as the first rays of the sunlight snuck in beneath her bedroom curtains. At least that hadn't changed when she'd become Christie. On the other hand, Charlie had always been predominantly a tummy-sleeper. This preference had not long survived her transformation. Christie had learned almost immediately that her rapidly maturing female figure was not designed for Charlie's preferred sleep position. Crushing the 'girls' was not conducive to a good night's sleep. Christie had no choice but to start sleeping on her side while cuddling a pillow to preclude trying to turn onto her stomach as she slept.

Putting her 'cuddle-pillow' up near her bed's headboard, Christie took a moment to stretch and center herself as her conscious mind came online. Once she was fully awake and ready to take on the world, Christie rolled to a sitting position . . .

And then jumped abruptly off the bed and to her feet as she recalled - vividly - her painfully stung derriere. Only to stop short yet again when she realized that her bottom didn't hurt, not even after carelessly plopping all her weight right down on her bum. Christie took a minute and scanned her body as closely as her still developing healer senses permitted. Just as her Mom had said yesterday, there was nothing to find - not with her healer's eye. She didn't see or feel ANYthing off back there. If anything, there was a sort of 'memory ghost' in her mind that said, "Beware! This might hurt!" It was like that 'it might still hurt' hesitancy Charlie or Christie experienced when resuming her training after being sidelined by an injury such as an ankle sprain. Nothing hurt - not really - but her mind and her body were on high alert for the first sign that the injured area wasn't quite healed.

"Well," she said aloud in her empty room, "The first thing you have to do is show your body that it is recovered and won't hurt anymore. Like the first jump in dance class, or the first kick strike at the dojang." Christie quickly donned a sports bra, leotard and her cross-trainers and began her typical morning stretching routine. Christie cautiously moved into each position. She initially took any movement that might aggravate her injury gradually before stepping up to her regular speed once she had confidence in her recovery. Or was that, more correctly, her nonexistent injury? Darned if she knew, but at least nothing hurt!

She finished her stretching but decided to forego her usual Tai Chi forms this morning. Christie wanted to let her body come down off her workout high. Then she'd see if the pain recurred following her relatively mild workout before she did anything more demanding. Just in case.

Amanda was just finishing her pre-departure cup of morning coffee when Christie arrived at the breakfast bar for her regular fruit and yogurt breakfast. She watched her daughter casually seat herself on the tall bar stool, pleased to see Christie seemingly pain-free. Amanda magically scanned her daughter. She then commented, "Well, I still don't see any physical damage to your body or any trace of toxins in your system, Christie. You seem to be moving about easily. How are you feeling this morning?"

"I think I'm good, Mom. At the same time, I am super aware of where my bottom did hurt yesterday, though, and the slightest hint of a twinge or a tickle sets off alarm bells in my head. I did my normal wake-up routine except for the tai-chi this morning and had no pain after finishing. For the moment, nothing seems wrong or painful. Can't find or fix something that doesn't want to act broke."

"True, true. So, what are your plans for today?" Amanda asked as she rinsed her cereal bowl and coffee cup in the kitchen sink. "Not doing your tai-chi? Does that mean you've decided to take things easy today?"

Christie shook her head. "No, I don't think so. I only skipped that to give my body a chance to come down from the endorphin rush of my stretching workout. You know, to make sure I didn't hurt afterward. I missed dance practice yesterday, so I thought I'd go to the studio and do my barre work. It'll give me a similar whole-body workout to what I get from doing the tai-chi forms, but I'll have the barre right there to grab hold of if something goes wrong while I'm exercising. Assuming that aren't any issues with that, I'd like to go to my regular martial arts class at the dojang this afternoon and work on my Poomsae. After that, I might try to wheedle Sa Bum Nim into letting me beat on the heavy bag for a while since he told me I couldn't spar. I kind of need to work off some aggression, I think."

"Imagining Tad's face on the bag while you beat the heck out of it, eh? As I said, I can't sense anything wrong with you or your health right now. If no difficulties arise during your two workouts, I can't think of any reason not to blow off some steam that way. Just make sure Papa Kim is all right with that first. He was the one to insist you not spar, after all. There also might be reasons not to work out with the heavy bag."

"Okay, Mom, thanks," Christie replied as she scooted off her barstool to walk Amanda to the door. Exchanging a quick hug and kiss, they parted - Amanda to drive to work and Christie to collect her dance and karate bags.

~-~

A little before nine o'clock, Christie arrived at the ballet studio. The schedule posted on the door indicated no classes were planned until after lunch. Christie checked the door and was pleased to find it unlocked. Slipping inside, she quickly donned her toe shoes and went off in search of Madame or one of her assistants. She needed to let whoever was in charge of the studio know she was here and make sure it was all right to do her barre workout.

Madame Coulter was in her office, working on her computer and staring intently at the screen. Christie knocked softly on the doorjamb to get her teacher's attention without scaring her. Madame looked up, stared for a moment, quickly hit a few more keys and then rose from her seat. Moving around her desk, she asked, "Christie? What are you doing here? Your Mother called me the day before yesterday to tell me about the incident with that ruffian and that you'd miss class. Are you all right?"

Christie smiled at the older woman, marveling at her demeanor's honest concern and worry. Madame had certainly mellowed in the last year. "I think I'm okay, but Master Kim won't let me spar for a while, and I need to do something physical. If it is all right with you, Madame, I thought I would do some barre work here in the studio. That way, I'll be able to determine if I'm really impaired or not and still get in some exercise. Then if that goes well, I want to go to my regular martial arts class. Like I said, I'm not allowed to spar, but I could still practice my Poomsae, I mean, my required forms. After spending that night and most of yesterday morning in the hospital, I need to move!"

Renee Coulter carefully studied the young woman, a single eyebrow raised in concentration. "Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves and see how you do first, shall we? I will observe and ensure you are doing the movements correctly and freely. If there are any postures you physically cannot do, I will help you figure out why. If you have a lingering injury, I will insist you take the time to heal yourself properly before pushing yourself further either here or at the Kims' school. Agreed?"

"That would be great, Madame. Are you sure you have the time? You looked really busy in your office."

"Harrumph. Of course, I have time! You are one of my girls, after all. My accountant is coming over later today to review my finances. I wanted to check them over one more time. Which I have. Now, into the studio, ballerina, and do your pre-dance stretching."

Smiling, Christie curtsied, "Yes, Madame!" before hurrying off to the brightly lighted, mirrored room.

~-~

"Well, Christie, I think that is enough for today. That was an excellent session, I think," Rene said an hour later. "It really is too bad you had that growth spurt. Athletically, you are everything a Principal Dancer should be. You're just too tall and too, uhh, gifted. Don't want any danseurs hurting themselves when they lift you. Oh well, run along, girl. My accountant is due here in a little while, and I suddenly feel the need to look over those figures just one more time."

A sweaty but grateful Christie hurried off into the studio's modest dressing room to grab a quick shower. Madame Renee Coulter might have mellowed considerably in the last year - emphasis MIGHT - but she sure as heck hadn't gotten easy. Christie's one-hour workout under Madame's gimlet eye had been surprisingly grueling! None of the movements or postures had been unusually challenging, but because Madame ALWAYS saw even the tiniest misstep and called Christie on every one of them. Then, she would have Christie do it over (and over and over and. . .) until she was satisfied that her student had finally done the movement correctly.

Renee had taken exception to one of Christie's softly groaned complaints. Firmly, the ballet mistress had told her dancer, "If you cannot do a movement correctly, there can be only two reasons. You are either not trying, which is beneath you. Otherwise, your injury is restricting you too much to complete the movement. In that case, you should not be doing any of this right now. We will correct the former until you get it right. As for the latter, we will deal with that too if it becomes necessary. Thankfully, that hasn't been the case, which means you haven't been trying hard enough, and THAT STOPS NOW, BALLERINA! Your extension on that last position was hesitant and imprecise. Do it again! Unless you can't . . ."

Having nobody else in the studio to distract Madame's full and undivided attention from Christie had turned out to be both a blessing AND a curse. They'd indeed determined that Christie wasn't impaired - that was for darn sure!

~-~

Christie pulled into an empty parking space near the dojang. She smiled as she considered the many benefits of having her driver's license and a car. One of which was that she could just pop downtown and whisk her Mom off to lunch. She'd done that on impulse, but it had worked out great for both women. Amanda had been able to sense for herself that Christie was still physically fine even after her surprisingly demanding workout with Madame Coulter. For her part, Christie had enjoyed being the one to surprise and treat her Mother for a change. Amanda had passed on good news from Val's mother over their soup and salad. Lunch together had been pleasant and was something Christie intended to do again sometime.

Christie had arrived early for her class as she wanted to be really stretched out and warmed up before the formal training started. So far, everything was going fine, but she didn't want to tempt fate. Except for the three Kims and several of their advanced red and black belts students, the main studio of the dojang was empty. That bunch was huddled near the stage. They were most likely planning and preparing for today's lessons. When Charlie had become a Red Belt (2nd Geup) in his other life, he had attended a few of those meetings. Young-Soo and Master Kim always ensured that the assigned instructors were prepared for that day's lessons and what might go wrong. Teaching the younger kids was something Christie missed. Maybe after she earned her Third Geup Blue Belt with the red stripe later this summer, she'd be able to take on a more formal trainer role, as Charlie had.

Kim Young-Soo looked up to see who had entered and then jumped up to his feet, waving his hands. "Christie! Great to see you. Come on over!"

Happily returning the greeting of the youngest Kim, Christie changed direction and hustled over to the three Masters and their assembled assistants. Christie was swept up into Young-Soo's hug and then passed her around to the rest to have a turn.

"It is terrific to see you, Jeja," Master Kim told her when it had been his turn. "I see you have brought your gear and dobok, so I assume you plan to attend class. Are you well enough for that? It's only been a couple of days since. . ."

"I think so, Master Kim," Christie replied seriously. "The doctors couldn't find anything really wrong when they released me yesterday. I've already done my morning stretching and an hour of studio work over at the ballet studio, and I feel fine. I know Grandfather Kim told me not to spar with anyone until he gives me his approval, but I'd like to keep doing the non-contact work. I, umm, kind of need the physical activity. Besides, I need to learn all the required Poomsae for my next belt, so I'm ready when the time comes for testing."

Master Kim considered that and then looked to Grandfather Kim. "Father, your thoughts?"

"I believe she can do what she says. We will keep a closer eye on her than usual. We will just make sure she isn't favoring something."

"Umm, Grandfather? I'd really like to beat on the heavy bag after class, assuming nothing more comes up."

"If you are still feeling fine at the end of class, come and get me. I will supervise. When I say you are done, Jeja, you are done. Agreed?" At Christie's enthusiastic 'yes,' Grandfather smiled. "Go get changed, and then do your warm-ups. Class starts in about forty-five minutes."

~-~

Black Belt Wilma Davis and Red Belt Daniel Murdock led the training for Christie's group as the class split up by skill levels. After the standard exercises, they guided the group in performing several of the lower difficulty forms required for the Blue Belt Christie already held. She caught sight of Master and Grandfather Kim watching her closely for the first couple of poomsae before they'd evidently decided she could proceed on her own. Then, they went on to work with and watch over other students. That made her feel even better about herself.

With about a half-hour left in the class, Master Kim gathered all the students back together and had them kneel around the main mat. "Over the next few classes, students preparing for their Red and Black Belt tests will be working on one of the more challenging requirements, the Koryo Poomse. We only attempt this physically demanding exercise with our more advanced and prepared students. You will be told if you have permission to start working on this poomse. For now, Instructors Wilma and Daniel will demonstrate it for you."

Wilma and Daniel marched to the center of the mat and took their 'At Attention' positions. Master Kim moved off to the side and assumed the instructor's role. "Kyungnet! Turn and bow to Grandfather Kim. Kyungnet!" He ordered, watching as the two instructors followed his order. "Bow to Young-Soo. Kyungnet! Bow to me. Kyungnet!"

Master Kim stepped away and took a seat in front of his father and son.

"SIJAK! (begin)" Grandfather Kim's strong voice rang out.

Wilma and Daniel moved efficiently to the starting position, and in unison, they began their form. Master Kim spoke up, "Note how they strive to move in unison as they perform the exercise. They have practiced this form many times, often doing it together or as part of a larger class. Remember, students who are to test for the same belt will be called upon to perform their Poomsae together. It saves time when judges have several students testing at once. Also, it allows the judges can compare the students as they move through the form. It is best to stay in sync with your fellow students as you move through the forms. Wilma and Daniel are excellent examples of this. The poomse looks tremendous when they perform together in harmony, but if just one student falls out of sync, it will stick out like a sore thumb. This tests not only the students' technique but also their control and self-awareness."

The two instructors completed the form together and then bowed to the Kims. "Well done, both of you," Grandfather Kim called out. "Students, CHARYUT! (attention). Everyone except Christie will now practice sparring. Daniel, please work with Christie on synchronizing the Koryo Poomse."

Christie and Daniel moved off to one of the side mats to clear room for the other students to work on their sparring. "I watched you today, and I thought you did just fine. Is it all right to ask why you're not sparring?"

Because Grandfather said not to, Christie thought to herself. "Caution for the most part. Tad had me in a rear-naked choke long enough that I would have been out if I'd missed the back kick I hit. I think Grandfather wants to make sure everything is okay in my brain-box before he lets anyone start punching and kicking it."

"Do you know how Valerie is doing? I guess she got it worse than you?"

"She's got some cracked ribs from a back elbow strike, but the real concern is a back-fist that hit her right on her temple. They're worried about cranial bleeding and possible long-term issues from the injury there."

"Tad always was an asshole. I tried to call the hospital yesterday, but they wouldn't tell me anything about Valerie or you."

"Well, the good news is that they are moving her out of the ICU later today and into a regular room. She'll be able to have visitors starting tomorrow after lunch. You should go see her."

"Oh, I don't know . . . I mean, we're not close or anything . . ."

Was I this clueless when I was Charlie? Yeah, probably, Christie thought to herself. Well, if this breaks some sacred 'Girl Rule,' I'll just have to claim ignorance and inexperience. "You should definitely go see her, Daniel. Tomorrow!" She said, perhaps more forcefully than she should have.

"Really?"

"Really! Dan, she's been trying to get your attention for months! Heavens, just before Tad attacked us, she told me she would call you out during class and spar with you."

"Why would she do that? I'm two belts senior to her."

"What? You've never done something stupidly obvious to get someone's attention? You ignored her best girl moves, so she was going to cheat and get you down so she could sit on you! GO. SEE. VAL! Got it?"

"Umm, okay. I mean, she's really cute, but I figured, well, you and her being so tight. . . I didn't want to, uhm, intrude, you know?"

Christie face palmed as she understood what was holding Dan back from pursuing her friend. And truth be told, she had harbored such thoughts herself, but Valerie wasn't inclined in that direction. "Idiot!" She growled. "We're BFFs! Best Girl Friends Forever! I repeat, go see Val. It'll make her day!"

Still unsure, Daniel looked nothing like the confident and skilled karateka who had just performed an extremely difficult poomse flawlessly. "Well, if you really think so."

"YES, I really think so! What does she have to do? Tie you to a chair, sit on your lap and hand-feed you cake? Trust me, she'd do it. At least, she would once she's out of the hospital. Now promise me you'll go, or I'll kick your butt, and Grandfather will yell at me for sparring."

"I'll go! I'll go. Don't hit me!" Daniel laughed, holding his hands up in a 'stay back' motion. "I promise."

"Good boy," Christie snarked at him. "Oh, and she really, really likes carnations. That's a hint, buster."

~-~

After class was finished, Sa Bum Nim observed silently as Christie did her level best to destroy the heavy bag. For a while, he just let her burn off the adrenalin and stress she'd obviously been hoarding over the past few days. When she started to flag, he took charge of the exercise, correcting her form and guiding her choice of technique.

After one last over-the-top roundhouse kick Papa Kim quietly ordered, "Charyut, Jeja," calling Christie to attention. Positioning himself carefully, he faced the heavy bag. "Come over here. Stand in front of me with your back to the heavy bag. Yes, that's good. Now, do you have all of that anger and aggression out of your system?"

"Yes, Grandfather. Thank you for watching over me. I know that such a display is not in keeping with the tenets of the art, but I really did need it."

"Even Masters are human and subject to extreme emotions at times. How we deal with them is what matters. Your method did no harm. Are you better now?" Christie took a deep, cleansing breath and then nodded. "Good. Now, I want you to enter your meditation safe place. No, don't sit! Continue standing just as you are, but empty your mind." He watched her closely and saw when she transitioned to a light, meditative state. "Now, I want you to remember the attack. Feel Tad behind you. Remember how you felt."

Christie tensed, her hands coming up as if looking for the arms wrapping around her throat. "Now, Jeja, the hold tightens. What happens next?"

In a soft, oddly distant voice, Christie replied. "It's tight. I'm starting to drift. I'm pulling at his arms, digging my nails in, but he's too strong, too enraged."

"And then? What happened next?"

"Something - someone - Val, I guess, hit us from behind, knocking us a step or two forward. I hear her screaming at him, and then, his hold loosens . . . then he lets it go entirely, and I feel him strike - the back elbow, I think, and then I feel him twist to get power into the back fist . . .Val's screaming stops. While my head clears, I strike back at him with my own back elbow. I try to get away, but I'm still a little woozy from the choke. I decide I have to disable him - hard. I draw up my leg and get ready to shift everything I've got into the back kick. . ."

"JEJA!" Grandfather barked suddenly. "STRIKE. Exactly as you did. Do it NOW!"

The sound of her foot connecting with the heavy bag was explosive and loud as if someone had set off a small dynamite charge or fired a heavy-caliber rifle. The swivel assembly holding the heavy bag up to the ceiling broke catastrophically, showering bits of metal onto the floor on the other side of the bag.

Master Kim and Young-Soo came running back into the dojang studio from their office and stopped short at seeing the heavy bag lying on its side on the floor. "What happened, Grandfather," Young-soo yelled. "Did someone fire a gun and break the bag chain?

Sa Bum Nim chuckled and took a shivering Christie into his arms. "No, grandson. We were working with the heavy bag, and apparently, the swivel assembly on the chain failed rather spectacularly. Quite loudly, too, as you could hear."

Master Kim bent down to examine the failed linkage, picking up several pieces. "It must have been badly worn," Grandfather continued, "I think Young-Soo should run off and get a replacement for it."

"But, Dad! Those things never break - at least not in all my experience with them in dojangs and gyms," Master Kim protested.

"Ah, but one just did break. That one," Grandfather said, nodding towards the bits and pieces in Master Kim's hands. "And now, Jeja Christie cannot continue her practice until we buy another. As a matter of fact? Buy five. Just in case."

Master Kim and his son slowly nodded their agreement. They walked off, muttering something in Korean that Christie did not understand, making Grandfather laugh again.

"And that, Jeja, is why I'm being cautious with your sparring for now. You should not have been able to do what you just did. Before Tad, you would not have been able to do that. Now, you are apparently instinctively channeling your sorcerous abilities to amplify your natural physical power at the point of attack."

"You Jedi Mind Tricked me. I was back there in the street with Tad hanging off me.

"Yes, and unfortunately, until you can completely control that ability, I cannot let other students spar with you. Remember when Charlie hit Donnie in that last sparring session? Even then, Charlie hurt him. Now, if you lost concentration and control or felt threatened, it could be far worse."
"Do you . . . Do you think I should give up the martial arts?"

"Absolutely not. I think you will need the martial arts discipline to learn how to control this. Whether you are a karateka or not, you have that ability. You need to master it, and the safest place for you to do that is here, with my family and me. I think it may be time to tell my son and grandson what is going on so that they can help you, too."

"I need to talk to Mom about that before you tell them. I'm really not sure of all the magic rules related to telling outsiders. You may be exempt or something since you have your own talent and figured it out for yourself."

"Agreed, Christie. Next time we will meditate before we confront your sand-filled opponent so that your mind is vigilant, fresh and focused. Then we will see what we can do about your striking power."

~-~

up
196 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Exemplar traits need fine tuning

Christie has healing and precog gifts that her mother and grandpa Kim have been helping her with and she has made some progress developing those gifts. Now she is starting to develop an exemplar gift and needs guidance to master that which grandpa is working with her to hopefully hone it. Once her exemplar traits are honed I would imagine her speed as well as her strength could be augmented and she will not be able to achieve that without her martial arts discipline. Hopefully her mother will give permission to bring the younger Master Kim's to be brought into the loop. They do need to understand why the heavy bag is getting so much abuse. Grandfather can punch through the bags skin essentially turning his open fist into a whaling harpoon but the way Christie kicked the bag so hard the welded chain supporting the bag failed catastrophically. That should not have been physically possible..... unless you are a superhero..... perhaps there is a cape in her future... lol

EllieJo Jayne

The true villains here are

The true villains here are the Kims and Christie... The victim and protag is that poor abused heavy bag.

Val out of ICU

Samantha Heart's picture

Is a good thing. Christy HAD to lay the law down on Daniel, he had it coming lol. Now as for Christy her pain was the result i beleave from over stimulus in her brain from the attack. Looks like grandfather has someone who REALLY needs the martial arts training to help control her other powers. This is a VERY good thing.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Pita, pita, pita

Nyssa's picture

So was the literal pain in her ass the result of her magic augmenting her physical action? Was it essentially like an overused muscle?

Sandbag

If that kick to the sandbag had hit Tad's head it probably would have been like hitting a melon with a baseball bat.

I think Christie should give Dan an owner's manual for girls in general and Val in particular. >:->

Thx for another great chapter^^

Draw a map

Jamie Lee's picture

Christey has learned she can see something happen before it happens. So maybe the pain she felt in her butt was pain someone else was going to feel, and Christey has yet to realize it.

Gads, give Dan a map. How planer can Christey be in explaining how Val felt about him. But he's like a lot of guys, not sure when it comes to the feelings of girls they're interested in. Hopefully Christey got the message across, or someone will be sitting on his lap feeding him cake.

Yep, after watching what Christey did to the big bag, grandfather Kim made the right decision not letting Christey spar with anyone. Even going against any of the black belts wouldn't be safe. While grandfather Kim could protect himself against Christey, he too could get hurt should she cut loose on him as she did the bag.

Others have feelings too.