Leonora's Journal Volume 1 Chapter 13

Printer-friendly version

Leonora's Journal Volume One

leather journal.jpg


The Sequel to 'Ring of Stone' by Bronwen Welsh


Copyright 2022


Chapter 13 Farewell to Grasmere

Wednesday 25th March.
This morning, Lady Elizabeth visited the ladies' shop in Grasmere, together with her two daughters and me. I am sure that Mr Washington the proprietor was very pleased to see Her Ladyship again, as she purchased six new gowns, telling me that it has been so long since she last had anything new, that all her old gowns were scarcely fit for anything but to be torn up for rags! Miss Lucy and Miss Sarah bought two gowns each. Lady d'Anglais insisted that I must accept a present of a new gown for making her aware of the new stock which was available, and while I was happy to acquire a simple gown, she insisted on one of the most expensive in the shop. It was very kind of her. I am so pleased that we have established a good relationship.

In addition, there were purchases of chemises, stays, pelisses, stockings, shoes and bonnets for Lady d'Anglais and her daughters. I respectfully declined any further gifts, while still thanking Her Ladyship for her kindness and generosity.

Following all the exertion of shopping, we made our way to a nearby tea shop for some refreshment, while the footman carried all our purchases to the coach.

I wore my new gown at dinner, and the other ladies wore one of their new purchases, and Sir John and Richard complimented all of us on our appearance.

Richard tells me that after consultation with Sir John, we will probably start our return to Oxford next Monday. Sir John proposes to have a farewell family dinner on Saturday. I will wear the gown I wore to my wedding for the occasion since I think it very pretty.

Friday 27th March.
The dowager Lady Ellen requested that I come to see her today. As usual she was seated next to a roaring fire in the second drawing room, dressed in her usual black silk gown. I approached and curtseyed, and she asked me to sit in another high back arm chair on the opposite side of the fireplace.

“Thank you for coming to see me, my dear,” she said. “I understand you will be returning to Oxford on Monday, and I wished to see you before you depart. When next you visit Grasmere, I may well no longer be here, since I am feeling my age; but that is of no matter, I have lived a good life and am not afraid of death.

“When I saw you on the first day you arrived here, I was concerned that you were too pretty and that Richard might have been seduced by looks over intelligence, but I am willing to admit that I was wrong. I have watched and listened to you carefully and I am content that when in the fullness of time, you become the mistress of this estate, that it will be in good hands. If I am honest, Richard is more intelligent than his late brother about whom I always had concerns.”

I bowed and blushed, not sure what I should say.

“You will of course have to fulfill your duty to provide Richard with children including an heir, and I am not ignorant of the dangers that entails, both for women and their children. I lost three children, one at birth and two in their infancy, and I nearly died in giving birth to Sir John, but I am confident that you will be successful in what needs to be done. Some of your remarks have almost led me to believe that you can foretell the future.”

“Please do not say that Lady Ellen, you will have me burnt as a witch!” I exclaimed. “It is merely that I know that life will not always be as we live it now; society constantly changes and in the fullness of time, inventions will be made which will change life in ways we cannot imagine. One does not need to be a seer to know that.”

Lady Ellen smiled. “If you have a fault my dear, it is that you cannot always recognise a joke when you hear it.”

I blushed deeply – the old lady had been having fun at my expense.

“I will see you at dinner three more times and I confess I will miss our conversations. I will not detain you longer as I'm sure you have things to do.”
,
I was dismissed, so I rose, curtseyed again and left the room. I hope she is still alive when next we return but I sometimes feel that older people have a premonition of their impending departure.

Saturday 28th March
Last night before we fell asleep, I told Richard of my summons by Lady Ellen, and he told me that he had had one too.

“Did she tell you that she doubts if she will be here to receive us when next we return?” he asked.

“Yes, she did, and I would be sorry for it as I have come to enjoy my conversations with her.”

“I think she intimidated you when first you saw her,” he said.

'Well she told me she thought I had seduced you with my looks and doubted if I was intelligent, but thankfully she has changed her mind,” I said, blushing in the darkness.

Richard laughed: “She was very complimentary about you when speaking to me. She thinks that we will work well together to run the estate when it is our turn.”

Marie is packing much of my luggage, in preparation of our departure. I confess that I am not looking forward to three or four days of travelling over rough roads again. Anna has been notified of our departure on Monday and will pack her own belongings.

After consultation with Richard, I have written to Mrs Danvers informing her that we expect to return to Oxford on or about next Friday. I also informed her that Marie and Robert are now married and wish to share a room, and also that we will be bringing Anna with us as a junior lady's maid, and that she will need to be accommodated. Since all three are under Richard and my supervision and not hers, this was as a courtesy so that she did not find out second-hand and feel that I lacked respect for her and Mr Anderson, to whom I asked her to pass on the information. I am determined to establish the best possible relationship with them both, while still making it clear that I am mistress of the house and in overall charge of its running.

Tonight was our farewell family dinner. I wore my wedding gown and pearls and was particularly pleased with my appearance after Marie had worked her magic on my hair and face. Richard's Uncle David and his wife were also present, and we sat in the same order as on our first evening at Grasmere.

Sir John gave a very pleasant speech in which he said many complimentary things about both Richard and me. He made particular mention of how pleased the family was to have me join them. In return, Richard spoke and thanked his father and mother for their hospitality; also how good it was to see each of the other family members, whom he mentioned by name, and how we would be pleased to have them visit us in Oxford whenever they wished, and then added to laughter “but perhaps not in the next couple of weeks”. I confess that I have some trepidation at the thought of becoming mistress of Marston House, even though it is a veritable cottage compared to Grasmere Hall.

Sunday 29th March
in the morning we all travelled into Grasmere, including the Rev'd Mr d'Anglais and his wife who had stayed at the Hall overnight, to attend a service in St Oswald's church, which Mr d'Anglais conducted. He kindly said some prayers for our safe travel and arrival and afterwards we were entertained to a light luncheon at the Rectory, before returning to the Hall.

This evening after dinner we made our farewells to the family since we intend to arise early in the morning and depart for Grasmere to take the stagecoach to Oxford.

Monday 30th March
We arose early and had a light breakfast before, together with our luggage, taking the coach to the inn at Grasmere. Marie, Anna and Robert followed in the barouche. The stagecoach arrived promptly at nine o'clock and all our luggage was loaded and Anna sat on the roof between Marie and Robert in case she felt nervous. Marie told me this evening when we stopped for the night at a very pleasant inn at the town of Lancaster, that Anna, who has never strayed far from Grasmere, was fascinated by the scenery as the coach travelled south. We had arranged for Marie and Robert to share a room, and Anna to have a room of her own, something I think she might appreciate.

Tuesday 31st March.
This morning I was concerned to see Anna looking very wan and bleary-eyed as if she had not slept well. When I questioned her about it, she was reluctant to say anything which might be construed as a complaint, but I insisted she tell me the problem, and that I was not angry with her. It transpired that she has never slept in a room on her own before, was quite frightened and slept but little. I privately castigated myself for not realising this and promised to solve the problem. I have spoken to Marie about it, and as a result, tonight, a cot has been set up in her room with Robert, so that Anna will not be on her own. This may be of some slight inconvenience to Marie and Robert, but it is only for two nights. I must ensure that Mrs Danvers finds a suitable maid for her to share with.

Wednesday 1st April
Last night we stayed at Nantwich. I was pleased to see Anna looking much improved this morning and Marie said that to her knowledge, Anna had slept very well. I am greatly pleased that the problem has been solved.

Thursday 2nd April
Another long day in the coach has taken us to Warwick, our last overnight stop before arriving at Oxford. I confess I will be exceedingly glad to see my home town once more. Again, a cot was organised for Anna, and again it appears she slept well.

To be continued.

up
74 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Going Home

terrynaut's picture

I'm pretty much a homebody. I like see a new place one in a great while but I'm always glad to get home. Reading this chapter made me wonder how I'd feel in Leonora's place as she made her way home.

Thanks for another gentle chapter. And kudos (number 5).

- Terry

My Only Complaint

joannebarbarella's picture

Is that I have to wait too long between chapters of this lovely story.

Some things have not changed! Ladies still desire new clothes at frquent intervals!

Umm?

I had expected a visit to the Druid’s Circle on this visit, and perhaps some recall of her future self. Returning to Oxford leaves me pondering.

Looking forward to the next chapter.

Sounds like Leonora thought she was busted

Julia Miller's picture

When Lady Ellen remarked that she thought Leonora could foresee the future. Leonora then realized she was joking, but the joke hit home with her. She will have to watch her remarks in the future.

Leonora's journey...

includes many simple events that hold more complex possibilities. From Lady Elizabeth's acceptance while pondering if they will meet again; a simple shopping venue to Anna's well-being. Leonora could have left it to be Anna's problem to maturely work through. Taking care of an estate, bearing a family, and being second to Richard. All this is so outside of my experience, that it is as though I am watching scenes unfold, to my amusement.

Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Leonora's journey...

includes many simple events that hold more complex possibilities. From Lady Elizabeth's acceptance while pondering if they will meet again; a simple shopping venue to Anna's well-being. Leonora could have left it to be Anna's problem to maturely work through. Taking care of an estate, bearing a family, and being second to Richard. All this is so outside of my experience, that it is as though I am watching scenes unfold, to my amusement.

Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

The long journey home..

Lucy Perkins's picture

I shall never complain again that it takes us four hours to drive from Nottingham to Keswick. Four days, on those lumpy roads? Goodness!
I loved the scene between the Dowager Lady Ellen and Leonora on all sorts of levels. Getting that acceptance must have been wonderful for Leonora
Fantastic writing as always!
Lucy xx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."