Leonora's Journal Volume 1 Chapter 10

Printer-friendly version

Leonora's Journal Volume One

leather journal.jpg


The Sequel to 'Ring of Stone' by Bronwen Welsh


Copyright 2022


Chapter 10 The Journey to Grasmere

Saturday 29th February
We arose early and after a light breakfast, the aunt's coach was loaded with our luggage and Richard and I, together with Marie and Robert, boarded it and were taken to Gray's Inn where we transferred to a stagecoach travelling on Watling Street north to Towcester. I cannot say that it is a particularly comfortable journey. The quality of the surface various from one mile to another but is generally bad. Richard informs me that the original road was built by the Romans in their conquest of Britain, and the present road largely follows the route of the original. I venture to suggest that little has been done to improve it in the intervening 1700 years. It will take us about four days to arrive in Cumberland, and I cannot say that I am looking forward to the journey.

Stagecoach_11.jpg

Sunday 1st March
During the night I had an awful dream which terrified me. I dreamt that I was in a room and that the ushabti doll had grown to an enormous size, blocking the doorway so that I could not escape. I must surely have cried out in terror as I was suddenly awake, and Richard was urgently asking what ailed me. I was ashamed to say at first for fear that he would laugh at me, but was finally persuaded to reveal the cause of my distress. Richard looked angry.

“That d------d doll!” he exclaimed, the first time I have ever heard him swear. “I've half a mind to throw it in the next river we cross!”

“Please don't do that, dearest!” I cried in alarm. “I'm sure that would bring us ill fortune.”

Richard thought for a minute. “Then I have a better idea,” he said. “Why do we not post it to your father? In the morning I will ask the innkeeper if he has a suitable small box, and you can include a note explaining that you do not wish it to be damaged, so are sending it to him for safe keeping. As I recall, he has in his study some fragments of pottery which he was allowed to bring back from his trip to Egypt as souvenirs. I'm sure the doll would sit very well amongst them and feel at home.”

“Oh darling, that is a splendid idea,” I replied. He really is a brilliant man.

With the problem resolved, Richard settled down to sleep once more, something he does with ease, but I was still disturbed and spent a long time staring into the darkness. Finally, I slipped out of bed, put on a robe, and in bare feet walked down the stairs to the kitchen to find a bottle of wine. I poured out a small glass, mixed it with water and drank it, hoping that this would help me sleep.

I noticed that dawn was breaking as I walked silently up the stairs towards our bedroom, when the sound of a door closing above me made me halt and step back into the shadows, not wishing to be discovered. To my surprise, I saw Marie in her nightgown walking along the corridor above. Fortunately, she did not look down and see me. We had organised rooms at some distance apart for Marie and Robert for propriety's sake and I suddenly realised that Marie had just left Robert's room and was returning to her own!

For a moment I debated whether I should forget what I had seen, but I felt that it was necessary for Richard to know of his servants' actions. I slipped into bed without waking him and managed to secure an hour or two's sleep before we both awakened when the sun shone through the window. Before we arose, I told him what I had seen.

“You did right to tell me,” he said. “I will speak to them this evening without revealing from whence I obtained the information of Marie's movements.”

After breakfasting we set off again for another somewhat uncomfortable day, heading towards Cannock. on more rough roads. How I longed for a smooth journey; and then something unusual happened. I had been dozing when I realised that the coach had slowed and there were the sounds of men shouting and the ring of picks on stone. Looking out of the coach window, I saw many men at work. The coach gave a tremendous lurch, such that were it not for Richard's steadying hand, I might have found myself on the floor of the coach, Then suddenly it was as if a miracle had happened as the ride became much smoother, and the speed of the coach improved. This continued for some ten miles or more, until alas after another lurch, we found ourselves once more on the uneven surface.

When we reached Cannock, Richard approached the coachman to find out the reason for our smoother ride. It seems an engineer, Mr Telford, has been commissioned to improve the surface of the road, from London all the way across North Wales to Holyhead. The intent of this is to increase the speed with which mail and goods will travel between England and Ireland. He is achieving this by laying several layers of crushed stones of varying sizes, which the wheels of coaches and wagons will compact into a hardened surface. Eventually he intends to build a bridge across the Menai Strait to Anglesey and thence to Holyhead where ships dock that cross to Ireland.

“Would it not be wonderful if Mr Telford could improve the road between Oxford and Grasmere?” I said to Richard. “It might be possible to half the time taken to travel between the two.”

This evening, Marie and Robert were called into our room. I think they realised instantly that there was a matter of concern, since Richard looked very solemn, and I kept a straight face.

“Marie, Robert, I have called you here to discuss something of great concern. I have noticed that you have been developing an intimacy, but now it has come to my attention that this has progressed to the point of you cohabiting at night.”

As I expected, Marie blushed deeply, and Robert looked down at his feet.

“Now I know of no civil or religious laws that you are breaking since neither of you is otherwise engaged to my knowledge, though I trust you would tell me if you are, but you must realise that such intimacy cannot be concealed when we reach Grasmere or return to Oxford. One case of concubinage would undoubtedly lead to more and soon become common knowledge amongst our peers' households. This would cause grave embarrassment to me and more importantly to your mistress.

“I see two solutions to this situation; either you marry as soon as possible in which case you may stay in our employ, or else one or both of you will have to find employment elsewhere. I will give you until tomorrow evening to make your decision, and in the meantime, I must insist that you confine yourselves to your own rooms at night.”

At this point, Robert looked at Marie who nodded slightly. “Sir, madam, we both apologise sincerely for causing you any discomfort. It is a fact that we are most desirous to wed but feared that we could not remain in your employment if we did so. If it would be possible for us to marry at Grasmere, this would fulfil our dearest wish.”

Richard replied “Once we get to Grasmere I will speak to my father. His brother, my uncle, is the minister In charge of the Church of England at Grasmere and I'm sure would be happy to perform the ceremony soon after we arrive. I shall speak to you further on the matter.” Then his face broke out into a smile. “My congratulations to you both.”

“And mine too,” I added, the first time I had spoken. I am sure the two lovers were quite amazed that their secret had been discovered, but they would have no way of knowing how this had come about and never will.

Monday 2nd March
Today our journey took us to Northwich, a town known for its salt mines. Rough roads as usual and there is little more to say. The breaks when the horses are changed, and we have a meal are very welcome.

Tuesday 3rd March
We have now reached Lancaster. How I long for our journey to be over – it seems endless, but tomorrow Richard tells me should see us finally at Grasmere. What a relief that will be.

Wednesday 4th March
Today we arrived in Grasmere. The stagecoach came to a halt at the inn where we disembarked. Richard had written ahead to inform his parents of the proposed day of our arrival, and I was very glad to see a magnificent coach and four, with a coat of arms on the door, awaiting our arrival. Our luggage was transferred by Robert and a footman, and then with Richard and I inside, and Marie and Robert riding in their usual seats on the roof, we set off for the family home, Grasmere Hall.

Our route took us through the village of Grasmere which I viewed with interest, and then along the shores of the lake for a couple of miles, before we turned off through some impressive gates and onto a driveway with a gentle upward gradient, which took us through a magnificent forest. After about a mile the land opened out and there before us was Grasmere Hall, a magnificent mansion. I was very impressed. As we grew closer, I could see a beautiful garden and lawn, fronted by a ha-ha designed not to obscure the view of the lake, while preventing wildlife including the deer I have already seen at a distance, from approaching the house.

Ha ha wall.jpg
Ha ha wall and ditch

The coach stopped at another set of ornate gates where the ha-ha met the driveway, which the footman stepped down to open, and then moved around a circular driveway with a fountain in the middle, before pulling up at the steps leading up to the house, which now caused me to gaze in awe at its size. This is the property of which I may well become mistress one day.

Grasmere Hall.jpg
Grasmere Hall

Two liveried footmen came down to assist in unloading our luggage, and then directed us up the stone steps where a number of the staff were gathered, the men bowing and the women curtseying as we passed. At the head of the stairs stood Sir John and Lady Elizabeth and their two daughters, Lucy and Sarah. Now it was our turn to bow and curtsey. Sir John and his lady smiled and bowed slightly, and the two girls curtseyed to me and their brother.

“Welcome to Grasmere Hall,” said Sir John. “I hope your journey has not been too arduous?” Without awaiting a reply, he turned and led the way into the house, which at least prevented me from telling him just how arduous it had been. First, we walked into a large entrance hall at the end of which was a magnificent oak staircase which divided into two as it rose to the second floor. Large portraits of Sir John’s ancestors decorated the walls. I endeavoured not to look too overawed.

“Before we show you to your rooms, my mother is most anxious to greet you,” said Sir John. “I hope you do not mind a slight detour to the drawing room where Lady Ellen d'Anglais awaits you with impatience.”

I would have preferred to have brushed the dust of the journey from my cloak, but it was impossible to say 'no', so I smiled in acknowledgement. A footman opened the door to a magnificent drawing room, with a roaring fire causing stifling heat, but perhaps that was due to my becoming used to cool air during our journey. I had a distinct sense of 'Deja vu' as a sprightly-looking old lady with white hair and wearing a black silk gown sat by the fire looking expectantly at us. Richard had already told me that this was the dowager Lady d'Anglais, his paternal grandmother.

'Richard, my boy! Welcome! I have been anxiously awaiting your arrival,” she exclaimed.

Richard bowed and said “Grandmama, may I present my wife, Leonora?”

Lady Ellen's attention turned to me. “Come closer child, my eyesight is not what it once was,” she said, so I advanced and gave her a respectful curtsey, and stood for inspection. Richard had also advanced which gave me confidence.

“Very pretty. If she is as intelligent as she is good looking, you have done well for yourself,” said Lady Ellen to Richard. Thoroughly intimidated, I blushed deeply as no doubt I was meant to.

Richard bowed to his Grandmama. “I can assure you madam that she lacks nothing that I desire,” he said.

“Indeed,” said Lady Ellen with a slightly raised eyebrow. “Well run along now and prepare yourselves for dinner. We will converse more then.”

Another curtsey and bow, and we left the room.

“She likes you,” said Richard, once we were safely out of earshot. I smiled my relief.

A middle-aged woman was standing close by Sir John who said “This is Mrs Owens, the housekeeper. She will show you to your rooms.” Mrs Owens curtseyed formally and led the way up the stairs. At the top we turned into a long corridor and a short way along, where she stopped and said “This is your bedroom, madam. “ She opened the door and I was pleased to see that Marie was already there and unpacking my trunk. Seeing me at the door, she curtseyed and continued with her employment.

“The next room is a dressing room and next to that, your bedroom, sir.”

“Thank you, Mrs Owens,” said Richard.

“You are most welcome, sir. If I can be of assistance in any way to make your stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to inform me. Dinner is at seven o'clock, and a gong sounds at five minutes to the hour.” She curtseyed again in a rather formal fashion and left us to settle into our accommodation and prepare for dinner.

Richard entered the bedroom with me, then opened the door to the dressing room.

“My dearest, I will see you when we are prepared for dinner,” he said, and then passed through to his own bedroom, although I hope we will only be using one bed, providing neither of us in indisposed. Robert was in Richard's bedroom, also engaged in unpacking his master's clothes.

Marie had selected several of my best gowns ready for me to pick one for dinner. They are all so beautiful and I am fortunate to possess them. I selected one and Marie started to help me dress. I wore the pearl necklace that Richard had given me as a wedding present, sure that this would please him. I knew that this first dinner was important, not just for making an impression on the family, most of whom I had met before, with the exception of Richard's grandmother, his uncle and his wife. I also wished to make an impression on the staff, from the Steward who oversaw the management of the house via the Housekeeper and Butler, to the servants, right down to the lowest scullery maid. Generally speaking, I would only be interacting with the upper servants, but I was sure that the lower servants such as kitchen maids would be equally interested in what I wore and my manners, and this information would be passed on from the upper servants, such as those who served us at dinner. Being fully aware that all being well, one day I am destined to become mistress of this great household, I was determined that their first impression of me would be a good one.

Richard appeared at about ten minutes to the hour, looking handsome as always and handsomely dressed. I was very pleased with his expression as he saw me. He bowed in a formal manner and said: “Mrs d'Anglais, may I compliment you on your appearance, beautiful as always.”

I returned his greeting with a curtsey, a smile, and a faint blush I'm sure, saying: “Mr d'Anglais, it will be a pleasure to accompany you to dinner this evening.”

The gong sounded, and taking Richard's arm, we descended the staircase to the ground floor. Richard turned to the double doors leading to the dining room, where two footmen in livery stood ready to open them upon our arrival. I gave them a brief smile of thanks. Mama taught me that servants have feelings too and as a result I always acknowledge their service.

Passing into the magnificent dining room, I saw a very long oak table capable of seating more than twenty guests. On this occasion with just the family present, table settings were laid at one end. Two people were present with whom I was not familiar. I was introduced to Sir John's younger brother, David, who has the living of Grasmere and is rector of St Oswald's church. His wife Lillian was also present and greeted me with a smile in response to my curtsey. After exchanging greetings and receiving compliments from the ladies regarding my appearance, compliments which I returned, we were directed to our seats. Sir John as head of the family sat at the head of the table, with Lady Elizabeth on his right, and the dowager Lady Ellen on his left. I was seated next to Lady Ellen, and Richard opposite me, next to his mother. Rev'd d'Anglais was seated next to him and his wife Lillian next to me. His sister Lucy was seated next to Lillian, and Sarah, next to Rev'd d'Anglais. The table already contained covered dishes holding the various meats to be offered and also vegetables, which are now coming into fashion, a new custom with which I wholeheartedly agree.

Reverend d'Anglais was invited to say 'Grace', and then at a signal from the butler, another set of doors opened and one of the kitchen staff walked in bearing a large soup tureen which was placed on the table. One of the footmen proceeded to ladle out the soup, which was artichoke, into dishes in front of us. and then we commenced our meal. Conversation also started. Dowager Lady d'Anglais started something of an inquisition about my family and seemed very satisfied when I told her of my father's knighthood and high position at Oxford University.

“My late husband attended Oxford, a very fine university,” she said. I was glad that he had not attended Cambridge as I am aware of a certain rivalry between the two universities.

I drank my soup in the most elegant manner possible, being careful not to strike the bottom of the dish with my spoon! After the soup dishes were removed, dinner plates were provided, and footmen began to offer the meat dishes which consisted of beef, mutton and chicken. The vegetables were rather drowned in a butter sauce, and there were also some pickled ones. I am pleased that vegetables are now in favour, as I know that not many years ago they were considered fit only for the poor to eat. In my view they, together with the meats, provide a balanced meal.

Finally tarts and custards were served and afterwards we ladies retired to the drawing room while the gentlemen enjoyed their port and cigars; at least Sir John and his brother David did. I am pleased that Richard does not smoke which in my opinion is an unsavoury habit. After they had had their 'men time' they joined us and we enjoyed conversing together again until it was time to retire. We were asked about our trip to London and Richard’s elderly aunts, and Richard caused me some embarrassment with his description of our visit to the British Museum and our viewing of the Rosetta Stone and other artifacts. The ushabti doll was not mentioned!

After we were prepared for bed and were alone, Richard told me that he had taken the opportunity to speak to his uncle David regarding a licence for Marie and Robert to marry.

“It seems that normally they would be required to live in a parish for a month, and usually have the bans called, just as we did. However, Uncle David tells me that a special licence can be obtained from the Archbishop of Canterbury for an extra fee, and this will permit them to marry at any location and any time. Uncle David has agreed to write away for it tomorrow and from his experience, it should be returned in about a week's time. He will be most happy to perform the ceremony at St Oswald's church.”

“That is so kind of him,” I replied. “I will inform Marie tomorrow of the progress that has been made. With your approval, I would like to ask Sir John if he would kindly make available a carriage, perhaps his barouche, so that I can take Marie down to the village where there is a shop which sells all manner of ladies-wear. I am sure that she must be in want of a new gown suitable for the wedding, and I can pay for it out of savings from my pin money as a wedding gift. Perhaps your sisters might like to accompany us?”

I was quite sure of a positive response to this suggestion – what lady does not like to shop?

Richard replied: “My dear, you are too kind. I have another suggestion to make. I know how fond you are of Marie and what a treasure she is to you; therefore, I suggest that you permit her to buy not only a new gown, but a new bonnet, stockings, shoes, whatever else she is in want of. If you see some item you wish to buy for yourself, please do so. I am quite convinced that my sisters and no doubt my mother and grandmother obtain items there and the proprietor will be only too pleased to put items on the account and sent here for payment.. Another thing, since there are so many servants including ladies' maids in the house, should we allow Marie and Robert a few days away on an honeymoon?”

“Now it is you who are being so generous,” I replied: “But you are right, Marie is a treasure, and I should not like to see her leave our service. I'm sure you feel the same way about Robert, so I will indeed accept your generous offer with much thanks”

Thursday 5rd March
This morning as Marie dressed me, I informed her of the progress we had made towards facilitating her wedding to Robert. She was extremely pleased and could not stop thanking me enough, but I had to point out that the work had all been achieved by my husband, and I know she took the first opportunity to make him a deep curtsey and thank him sincerely for his interest in the matter.

Arriving at the breakfast table I found the Rev Mr d'Anglais to be the only other person present. He stood as I entered the room and bowed. I responded with a curtsey and took the opportunity to thank him for his generous offer to assist in the marriage of our two servants. He smiled and said it was his great pleasure to assist the family whenever he can.

“I am sure of obtaining a special licence for your servants despite their normally only being made available for the aristocracy. Not many people know this but I am great friends with the Archbishop of Canterbury which developed from our time when we were students at Oxford. Then our career paths changed since he had ambition while I am content with the living of Grasmere, especially as it means I am close to the rest of the family.”

“It is still very kind of you,” I replied.

“Remember what St Paul said, 'But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn'.” he said with a smile. I'm sure the reference caused me to blush for he smiled and changed the subject. “You may be surprised to see us still here this morning, but the weather was somewhat inclement last night, and it seemed a better option than to risk the road in darkness and a storm.”

“I'm sure that was very wise,” I replied. Other members of the family then entered the room, and the conversation became general.

As I predicted, Richard's sisters, Lucy and Sarah were greatly excited at the thought of visiting the ladies' shop in Grasmere, and after giving his permission, Sir John has agreed to make a coach available for our expedition, either open or closed depending on the weather. We will go there on Thursday.

To be continued.

up
81 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Regency travel

Lucy Perkins's picture

What a difficult journey it must have been, from Oxford to Grasmere, before the roads were surfaced!
I was fascinated by the section of the road that Leonora actually saw being surfaced...many times have I driven the A5, and here we are watching it being built! These days that marathon journey would take, what, four hours? (Unless there were roadworks!!)
I loved the way that Leonora helps Marie and Robert's romance, rather than just thinking of herself. She is s really lovely woman.
Another very fine chapter, Bronwen, thank you for writing it!
Lucy xx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Plowing

This story had me searching the internet to find out what the people living in Regency times thought of their roads, and I found this wonderful quote in John McAdam's "A Practical Essay on the Scientific Repair and Preservation of Public Roads" (1819): "Whatever carriages the law may compel men to draw through such roads (for at the present they do not travel over them), must continue to act as ploughs."

As you can see, Mr. McAdam, the inventor of macadam roads, did not think very much, or at least not very much that was good, of the current roads in England.

The Lives Of The Rich (And Famous)

joannebarbarella's picture

Probably fewer than one percent of the population lived as Leonora and Richard. Downton Abbey, eat your heart out!

At least their family are caring employers, unlike many of their contemporaries.

The first fruits of the Industrial Revolution are starting , with Thomas Telford and Inconel Kingdom Brunel commencing their great modernising works, many of which still stand to this day.

I love that drawing, very evocative of the age.

Wedding Shopping

terrynaut's picture

I can't wait for the shopping to commence. I'm excited to see what it might be like back then. I'm even more excited to see the wedding. I love that Marie and Robert are getting such special treatment. It's nice to see.

Thanks and kudos (number 35).

- Terry

Chapter 10

I am quite sure that many do know that the Rev Mr d'Anglais is a friend of the Archbishop of Canterbury as he has a habit of it slipping out... That such attention as a special wedding license is usually reserved for the aristocracy is not a surprise either. Lenora is not used to the life she has married into and thus will bring some new ways with her. The good news is that Richard is accommodating.
A splendid chapter.
Aha, still no bridge uniting Great Britain and Ireland.

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

I am guessing

Wendy Jean's picture

I am guessing there was nothing equivalent to marriage at City Hall in those days.