Chronicles of Sea Breeze (2)

Printer-friendly version

-4-

Updates

Hello again my imaginary audience reading this at home, sitting safely behind the glow of your computer while I write to you, again hunched over my wooden writing desk here at the local inn. I hope you found the first part of my story amusing enough to return to see what other shenanigans I'm getting up to here in the quiet little hamlet of Sea Breeze. Where do I need to start, well I'd hazard a guess that I need to start the beginning, a quick recap. Lets see, it's been about a fortnight since some random thing happened and I'm going to guess a magical truck slammed into my body and sent me into this new world of wonder and magic. In that time I'd think I've settled down quite well.

Also it turns out I'd had some money on me after all, I mean don't you normally start an adventure with a bit of start-up money? Turns out I had around five hundred golden Crowns with me. Let me explain the currency right quick, a Crown is a large, heavy gold coin that is around the size and shape of a United States Half-dollar. Just below that you have a Mark. A Mark is a medium size silver coin that is roughly around the size of a United State's quarter; it takes around twenty five of them to make one Crown. And last but not least the smallest coin on the scale is called the Penny, the Penny is a small copper coin that is roughly around the same size as United States nickel. It takes around five of them to make one Mark. The mostly commonly used coins are Marks and Pennies.

Anyway while five hundred Crowns might seem like a king's ransom, it's really not when you consider the new career field I'd decided on. And that being Adventure! But I'm totally getting ahead of myself. Anyway I had around five hundred Crowns on me when I entered this world and the gear I found if I'd sold it all at the pawn shop would have been worth around twenty crowns at most. I kept it since a helpful traveler informed me that it would cost me around fifty Crowns to buy all this stuff at a supply shop. I mean if you're only going to give me twenty crowns for like fifty Crowns worth of stuff, I'm going to say to heck with you. I might need stuff, It might come in handy one day. I was however tempted to sell my fiddle. But I kind of needed it. I mean if all else, I could still play and sing for a few meals.

Anyway one of the first things I bought was a longsword, that set me back a good fifteen Crowns. But you need a sword, you can't go on an adventure without a sword. That's like having a hamburger without fries, it's just unheard of. Anyway the sword was dull and needed to be sharpened. So I then took it to the local blacksmith to have it sharpened. Once the local smith got through putting a killing edge on the thing, I was out of another fifteen Crows. Still I guess fifteen Crowns for a sword, and another fifteen to have it sharpen is not a pretty raw deal. At least I don't think it is.

Next up you're going to need some armor. Now this is where my account took a pretty good blow. Now you don't really skimp when it comes to your armor, that is what you need the most. I mean a good set of armor will make all the difference in the world when it comes to those random encounters in the field and those all important boss battles. And it's what matters the most when it comes down to the cutting of the cards. And so with that in mind, I did not skip out on the armor. To cover my best I brought a brown leather chest plate, that set me back thirty Crowns Up next a brown leather skirt, that was another twenty Crowns up next was a pair of high leather boots, another twenty Crowns Leather gloves another fifteen Crowns and a metal helmet to guard my head, another twenty twenty Crowns add in tax and I'll say the whole suit set me back a hundred and twenty Crowns.

After that I need some more clothes. You see, you can't really go around town dressed like a boy, even if I was a boy in my last life. I needed something different, something a bit feminine you know. So with that in mind I went down to the seamstress and brought a few dresses. The first dress I bought was a woolen dress with a high collar that was trimmed with white lace at the neck and at the sleeves. It was a bright blue dress that was very modest and something of a dress-up dress. I added a few matching hair ribbons and a pair of solid black, leather slippers. That outfit set me back ten Crowns.

Up next was a more formal style of dress, more like a gown, heavy and silken and cut low in the front it it kind of reminded me of the formal gowns girls would wear to formal parties back on earth. I added a pair of white buckle shoes with a bit of a heel to that outfit, that set me back fifteen Crowns.

The next to the last dress was a special dress, I had that one sewn for me, it was a fine red dress sewn with silk, it hugged every corner of my body and it even had extra padding sewn into the chest to give my girls some extra lift. You know, to make them seem much bigger than they were. It was also cut low, it was kind of that dress you wear when you're going out on the town and you want everybody to notice you. The kind of dress you wear to let people know you're looking to have a good time. I added a pair of leather shoes with a bright gold buckle and a good heel.. that outfit alone set me back a whopping twenty five Crowns.

And the final dress was.. was a pink nightgown with lace around the neck, the sleeves and at the helm. It was made from locally grown cotton so it was soft and cool. And it had a little bow in the front. I had to buy a matching set of pink ribbons to go along with it, so I could put my hair up in pigtails when I slept, add on a stuffed doll and that outfit set me back around a Crown..

Now let's get into my lodging. Right now I'm paid up to two years in rent on a small bedroom at the town's only inn. That set me back a hundred and twenty Crowns. That includes three square meals a day, a change of sheets each morning, and the right to use the bathhouse. Plus, Marian will have all my clothes washed and my armor polished for me. I'm going to assume in about two years I should have more than enough money saved up to buy a small plot of land out in the sticks and then maybe I could build a small cottage or something.

Now let's talk about the shops. I'm going to assume most of the people in Sea Breeze can read and write. But I'm also going to assume most of them can't. You see most shops have a simple, wooden sign hanging above the door. Carved into the sign is a picture that shows you what kind of business the shop conducts. I'll run you guys through the list right quick, a set of scales denotes a Trader. Here you can buy and sell trade goods, like salt or pearls for example and if you're lucky you can turn a profit. I might become a trader if adventure does not work out for me.

Likewise a hammer denotes a blacksmith, here you can have your weapon sharpen or have another weapon forged. Up next we have a bed, a simple bed denotes an inn. Also a tanker with a frothy head of foam denotes a tavern. A bottle that is filled with liquid denotes a supply shop. You can get all your basic and advanced adventurer needs at a supply store, you know rope, lantern oil, healing potions, medicines, antidotes, arrows, wrought iron ingots that you can use as cheap, but highly effective ammunition for your slingshot. And of course the basics, ink, paper, cooking gear, and fuel. Anyway moving right on down the list, a spool of thread to a needle means either a tailor or a seamstress works there. It can also mean a clothing store.

A fork to the left, a plate in the center and a knife to the right means the place serves food. A helmet next to a shield means the place sells armor, and a basket full of bread means the place is a bakery. A sword crossed with another sword means one can have swordsmanship skills there. A magnifying glass means an Appraiser works there. You know people who tell you what items are worth. And three coins in a row means it's a pawn shop. I love going to the village pawn shop, you can often find some really good deals there. Also you can sell them most of the stuff you find out in the field, stuff that monsters you've slain drop, they buy most of the fish I catch from the Mystic. An open book means a place that teaches you magical skills or crafting skills. I'm not sure how magic works here, I only know a few people can use "Elements' ' as they are called.

And last but not least a simple red cross means a hospital or a doctors office and a vault with a coin next to it means a counting house, the forerunners to banks. I visited the bank once.. and that was to open an account, I mean, who's going to feel safe running around town with a pocket full of gold? So I dropped the last of Crowns in their greedy little hands. Bankers it seems never change, their all greedy little buggers by nature. And thankfully all of the above can be found in Sea Breeze.

Now, let me tell you how I spent the last fortnight of my life here in this tiny little backwater village called Sea Breeze. Sea Breeze itself is a town size settlement that is kind of located on the coastline. It's a hybrid, a cross between a bustling port city and a sleepy little fishing village. Its population is around twenty five hundred or so souls. And it stretches out along the seashore. And the coast is this wide stretch of beach that seems to go on for miles and miles.

Its the kind of beach you want to visit at least once in your life. Golden colored sand, and sapphire blue water that seems to sparkle with diamond patterns at noonday when the afternoon sunshine catches the waves just right. About four leagues from Sea Breeze, that is also how we measure distance here in Sea Breeze too, we use leagues, a league is about three miles or so. The mighty river Mystic empties into the bay, the bay that Sea Breeze is located on is called Bay of Storms., because in autumn, a fearsome windstorm seemed to blow in from the bay.

Now about the region. Sea Breeze is located in the center of what few maps I've seen, because it seems that maps of the area are rarer than Hen's teeth. Anyway this region is called "The Storm Bay Region '' the region is bordered by the Peppercorn Mountains to the north, and the mountains of Shadow to the West and the Woods of Mist to the east and finally the Bay of Storms to the south. The town itself sits in the middle of all of this. There is only one main road in this region, and its called "The Queen's Highway" and it starts in town, in front of town hall and runs west through the Woods of Mist. Its the only really paved road in the region and is kind of patrolled by the town's militia.

Of course there's dozen of other smaller roads in the region. There is a road that leads to the Peppercorn Mountains that the locals called "The Old Quarry Road" because at one time there was a rock quarry in the Peppercorn Mountains. That was before the War of the Pretend King. After the War the quarry fell into disuse and according to the rumors that fill this tavern/inn every night is now home to a fearsome goblin warlord who wears old knights armor and commands a bunch of other, weaker willed goblins. Oh the stories men will tell you when they're full of brown ale and white mule.

Another road is named "Woodcutters Road '' that is the road that snakes its way through the woods I'd appeared in when I first came into this strange new world. The road is used and maintained by the Woodcutter's guild and they charge a small fee of seven Marks to use it. The road stops at the foothills of the Shadow, the so-called The Sand Hills.

The Sand Hills are overrun with highwaymen, bandits, and thief's who hideout in the area and use the many limestone caverns that dot the area as bases to store their loot and ill gotten treasure. They often pray on peddlers, or lost travelers, or merchant trains.

Once every full moon or so a bunch of the men of the town would gather around the big old fireplace in the inn and talk would turn to hiring out a band of knights to clear out the area. But nothing ever comes of their idol talk. Captain Smith, the commander of the town's small police force always butts in and says the money used to hire knights be better used to either build a newer, better soldiers barrack, or be used to make some much needed repairs on the one they have, also the money could be used to buy better weapons and armor, and be used to pay bonus the the few soldiers they have, and finally it could used to boost recruitment so more of the towns young men would lured to enlist. As he never seems to have enough men at his command. Then he boasted that he could clear out the Sand Hills with ease.

Anyway it's a little past midnight here. And my candle still has almost burned itself down to the copper. And my bed is calling me. I have another busy day ahead of me tomorrow too. So I'm going to snub this flame and call it a night. After all, a girl needs her beauty sleep after all. Oh just a quick heads up I'm planning on doing my first dungeon soon, maybe in fortnight. So I hope you guys will help me as together we try to navigate the perils of the underground. What you're saying is that you're scared of the monster that might live in the cave? Oh don't worry my sword and trusty slingshot will keep us safe! So until then, my faithful imaginary audience will keep safe and be good. And please stay tuned for more updates from Sea Breeze.

-5-

The Gleeman's Volunteer

At least once a week, normally on the weekends I earn a few extra coins by helping out in the inn. You know, serving guests, cooking and topping off pitchers of beer and ale. Marian has also kind of come around too. Do you remember how rude she was to me when I first met her a few weeks ago? Well she now become kind of a replacement for the mother I left behind in the other world. She was the one who first hired me to help out on busy days in the first place. And if Marian is my mother then Katie, a barmaid that is a few years older than me, must be my big sister. I mean all the barmaids and even the kitchen staff have kind of just adopted me as the little sister of the inn. They even call me 'Little Sister' from time to time. I mean it's not been an easy road by any means, at first they hated me, and I stuck to my room. Then they slowly started to warm up to me. I don't know what happened to cause them to stop hating me, maybe they just got tired of hating me.

Anyway it was the weekend and the town it seemed was flushed with money, not only was the spring harvest coming in and boy was it a bumper crop. But also some big mining guild from out of town, I think from the Capital arrived and just reopened the old abandoned mine in the Mountains of Shadow. It seems the mine had been closed since The War of The Pretended Kind. Anyway for the first time it seemed in living memory most of the men in town had a steady job. And a steady job meant a steady stream of coins came flooding into town. Mining was also hard work, dusty work and it made men thirsty, thirsty men liked to drink. And if your in the business of looking cute, flirting without getting attached, quickly on your feet, can pour a pint without thinking, sing, play the fiddle, and flounce skirt, then all those miners coming into the inn to drink their fill on the weekend was your ticket to easy riches. Or at the very least a new gown.

Anyway, returning now to the story. Now, I'm not good with keeping up with the days of the week. And I really don't know how time works here. I only know there are four seasons like on Earth, those four seasons being Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter.

And there around seven days in a week, the names of the days of the week escape me right now. But like their seven days in a week, four weeks in a month, again the names of the months escape me, and twelve months in a year. I'm going to be honest, I rarely keep up with the time, clocks are rare and uncommon and calendars are even harder to find. But I guess the average working week for most people here in Sea Breeze is five days straight followed by a two day break or what I'll call a Weekend. There are also holidays and holy days.

Anyway the inn was as crowded to the rafters that evening. A sudden and powerful thunderstorm had moved in suddenly from the Bay of Storms. The town was buffered by a strong, fearsome wind, the wooden shutters banged and fluttered outside as sheets of pouring down rain bounced off the flat brown cobblestones that paved the narrow streets and alleyways. Inside the inn though we had a roaring fire in the fireplace and a traveling Gleeman had decided to stop by. With an enchanting voice he spun out fables and stories. Stories and fables that I should have written down to share with you guys. But I was a bit busy.

"Jenny!" Cried Katie in a commanding tone of voice. "Get your head out of the clouds girl!" She shouted as she sprinted passed me. "Table Six needs another tanker of beer and table eight needs their mead." She bellowed as she rushed into the kitchen.

I blinked and quickly went about to fill the order. The common room of the inn was standing room only it seemed tonight, and it was all hands on deck. As the Gleeman sang his songs about heroic battles, knights slaying dragons and women bringing about the downfall of men through the use of their beauty, I skirted through the tables each hand holding a tanker of beer.

"Here you gentleman go." I said with a forced smile as I sat down the two tanks of beer upon the highly polished surface of the table. I had spent all morning polishing them to a high gloss shine with beeswax. I had little time to flirt as I normally do, for soon I was rushing back into the kitchen to get a bowl of hot mutton stew from the kettle.

"Gods girl!" One of the cooks cried as he spotted me, filling a wooden bowl with piping hot brown broth that had chunks of roasted mutton and a few roasted veggies floating around in a sea of brown broth. "Hurry it up! Your putting all of us behind!" He said as he mopped his forehead with a discolored towel. "Can't you see we're swamped in here. Fill the bowl and get the hell out of our way!"

I nodded my head and once more rushed headlong into the bedlam. No sooner had I put the bowl down upon the table than I heard my name being called out again. "Jenny!" Katie called out from behind the wooden bar. "My stars girl!" Have you taken leave of your senses! Come get this mead before it goes sour, and if it goes sour it's coming out of your pay!" She barked as pointed toward a wooden mug of mead. "Hurry your butt up! Before I light a fire under that skirt of yours." Katie threatened.

I nodded my head and picked up the wooden mug. "Table Four! And table six needs its roasted chicken! And table One needs another tanker! Hustle girl!" Katie called out in a loud booming tone of voice. I nodded my head and quickly rushed to the table. Smiling sweetly I placed the wooden mug down upon the table and bowed out before rushing toward the kitchen.

"Joe!" I called as I popped my head into the kitchen. "Roasted chicken for table Six!" I cried as Joe handed me a pewter plate. I could smell the strong herbs and spices used in the season, the small roasted bird that sat on the plate. "Tell Katie she needs to get on the ball!" Joe Barked as he returned to his cooking.

I nodded my head and rushed out of the kitchen again. I had just delivered the roasted chicken to the table when I heard my name being called out, and of course would you know it was Katie again, it seemed she was growing more and more demanding as the minutes ticked right on by. "Jenny!" You wool headed girl!" She bellowed as she peered at me with gleaming eyes. "Do I really need to take you out back to the woodshed and take the belt to that bottom of yours.?!" She said wagging her small index finger at me. "Get a move on girl! Table One needs another tankard of ale, table four is requesting a bottle of Peppercorn Wine, and table six needs another roasted chicken." She rattled off. "Listen I know we're short on help, and we can't help that. But you running around the common room of the inn like a chicken that just had its head removed by the hatched is putting all of us behind!"

She scolded as she handed a well dressed woman a handful of copper coins and a few silver coins. The woman looked at me thoughtfully for a moment and then she handed the small handful of coins over to me. I smiled as she slipped the coins into the open palm of my hand and thanked her the best I could before slipping into the pocket of my apron. And then off I went, first to table One, then to table four with a bottle of house wine, and then back to the kitchen as fast as my two feet could carry me to get another roasted chicken.

And so the night wore on till at last there was only a handful of people left standing in the common room. The Gleeman was still playing though, but then he paused and smiled at the handful of remaining patrons all of whom were drunk off their stumps or just straying in from the cold. Not that I paid them any mind, the kitchen was about to close and Joe the cook was cleaning up. Katie was also starting to nurse her first mug of beer. Her face was read and she was starting to sweat and I was counting my tip money.

"Jenny girl." Katie said. "I owe you an apology. I'm sorry if I got a little hot with you this afternoon. I know I can let my temper get the best of me sometimes." She added as she looked down into her mug. "You know, normally it's more than just us working in the busy times. But with Marian down with Yellow Eye fever and May having to care for her little ones that also have it. It was just us two. I think we handled it well enough. Thanks in no small part to you, you keeping your head down and your wits together while I seemed to be losing mine."

"Ladies and gentleman! Lord and Ladies!" Cried the Gleeman from the center of the stage. "Before I close tonight's performance. I would like to perform one more trick for the crowd. Now for this next trick I'm going to need the assassins of a willing volunteer from the audience." He said, smiling sweetly. Though his eyes seemed to twinkle with mischief.

"How about that lovely serving maid who's been running around here all evening? The one in a pretty pink dress, with the pretty white, lacy apron on? I've heard her called Jenny I think? Jenny, if you're here can you please join me on stage?" The Gleeman called out in a booming voice.

"That's you little sister." Katie said as she took another sip of her beer. "You're the cutest and youngest one here, I knew it was only a matter of time before the Gleeman called you up to help with a few tricks. So go ahead and enjoy it. You deserve to be in the limelight."

At this point I was wondering if Katie was drunk or just a little bit tipsy, not that it mattered to me, okay it did matter to me, I'll the one hauling her drunken donkey self up those wooden stairs to the bedroom she rented. Yes, like me she rented a room here at the inn. I think she rented the room right across from me. Anyway my eyes watched her walk back over to a nearby keg and soon she was refilling her dull gray pewter tankard with a golden, brown liquid. Once the tanker was filled she raised it up to her lips and started to chug.

"Oh boy!" She said smiling as she wiped away some foam from her lips with the sleeve of her dress. "That hits the spot! Hey little sister!" She said smiling. "When the Gleeman finishes with you, come back and have a drink with me," She said smiling as she swayed back and forth. A long series of giggles escaped her lips as she burped a little. "We're working women!" She proclaimed to all. "And Sea Breeze is famous for its ale! And we deserve a drink after waiting hand and foot on these traveling peddlers, merchant guards, fisherman who reek of fish, hunters that reek of smoke, miners who smell like dust! We work for our money! Unlike some lucky women who have married into it!" She said as she took another sip.

A crooked little smile formed upon my lips as the mental image of me having to take Katie out into the streets and dunking her head over and over again in the many water troughs that line the cobblestone streets made me smile. You know, to sober my big sister up.

"Come on up darling." The Gleeman said as he twisted his fingers around his long, flowing beared. His charcoal colored eyes started to twinkle a little as he peered toward me. "I promise you, no harm will come to you, I just need a lovely assistant."

I felt a sudden blush color my cheeks as I stood up and walked, okay I waded through the common room of the inn. A fresh wave of bodies had started to bust through those doors. And many of them wanted rooms for the night instead of warm bread and cold beer. Many too wanted food, but good old Katie who was now two sheets to the wind in her loud, booming voice told them all that the kitchen was closed and the cooking fire was out and the cook was fast asleep. Anyway many of them decided to settle for the liquid kind of bread if you catch my drift.

I felt my blush increase as the Gleeman peered deep into my eyes. I felt so helpless peering into those eyes. And the way his eyes traveled up and down my body made me give a little shiver. I then noticed all eyes were peering right at me. I forced myself to put on a smile and wave a little as I turned toward the Gleeman and forced myself to keep smiling. I hated being the center of attention, always have.

"Ladies and gentleman! The lovely volunteer Jenny!" He shouted at the top of his voice as he smiled softy toward the sullen crowded. "Now Jenny! I'm sure, sure you can use a little bit of extra pocket money?" He said smiling as he winked toward the crowd. "After all don't ladies always need a bit of extra pocket money? For those fancy perfumes, make-up, love potions, dresses, hair ribbons and gowns?" He said cracking a joke that made the crowd laugh a little and made me want to slap the tar out of him. But before I could get a wise-crack in something happen.

"We sure do!" Cried Katie as she raised her pewter mug high into the air. "And don't forget wine, fine fruits, and handsome lads who hit the right spot every time!" Katie shouted at the top of her lungs.

I blinked and blinked again as I peered toward Katie. Yep she had way too much to drink, a soft sigh escaped my lips. Looks like I'll be the one carting her off to her bed tonight. Oh Goodness graceless me, that the last thing I wanted to do tonight was play nursemaid to a drunken big sister. Anyway I turned toward the Gleeman and smiled.

"So, what do you want me to do?" I asked with a big goofy smile. I felt like a total fool standing up there, surrounded by total strangers. I could tell all their eyes were firmly glued to me. I smiled and swallowed hard as I peered toward the Gleeman, "So, what do I need to do?" I asked.

"First I need you to change for me. After all such a winsome lass such as yourself needs to wear something that a bit more flattering if she desires to be my lovely assistant." He said, twisting his long, snow white mustache around his fingers that were thick as sausages. "And you're in luck, I have just the outfit that will flatter your curves and highlight your assets." He said, smiling softly as he reached into his bag.

And then much to my amazement he pulled out of his bag what appeared to be a solid red satin slip. I blushed as I reached out and took the slip from his hands into mine. Carefully, I held it up to the light to get a better look and the moment I did I swallowed hard. My cheeks flushed a bright, crimson red and my ears changed too. I swear if this was an anime series, I would have had steam shooting out of the,. There was no hiding anything in this thing.

"I'll give you fifteen silver Marks." He said with a wicked little green, "If you put on the dress and model it for us. And I'll add another fifteen if you decided to go through with the trick." He said smiling as he reached down into an overflowing chest. He must have played well, because inside the chest was a mountain of sparkling coins, heaps of Marks, Pennies and a few scattered golden Crowns. Slowly he counted out thirty round silver coins. A wicked little grin crossed his face. "But before I hand over the money, you gotta agree to do the trick. Do you understand me? Before this money leaves the palm of my hand, you must swear an oath to me and all these people that you'll not get cold feet." He then turned toward the crowd and with a jeer a mile long he said. "Unless there is another willing volunteer in the house tonight? It seems our lovely Jenny is coming down with a sudden case of stage fright. Poor girl, maybe we should let her sit down and find somebody who's a lot braver." He added.

It was at that moment I saw red. I reached over and snatched the money from his hands. "Fine!" I said putting the money in my leather drawstring purse. "I'll do it." I should have asked about the trick. But nobody is going to me a coward. And so with that I marched toward the spare supply closet. I returned a few minutes later, hating myself even more than I did a few minutes ago. The satin slip left little to the imagination

And the gathered crowd started to make all manner of noises that made me blush, wolf-whistles, cat meows, shouts of approval, clapping of hands, and last but not least low whistles. I felt my cheeks starting to blush even more as I walked up to Gleeman and smiled as gave him a little bow.

"Now that's a lovely volunteer!" He said smiling sweetly as he took a deep breath and reached into his pocket and pulled out a folded piece of silk. Smiling sweetly he lowered the folded piece of silk over my eyes and tied it back behind my head. I was taken back, had the old man just blindfolded me? He did? I swear to the Goddess I'm going to kill this fellow if I ever see him again.

A moment later I felt myself being moved toward a wall. I felt myself being squared up against a wall, I took a deep breath as I swear to Goddess I heard somebody snicker and make a comment about my girls, that thought lasted only a minute before I felt something being placed on the top of my head. It was heavy, and round, a apple came to mind. But why would somebody be putting an apple on top of my head, then that question answered itself.

The answer was a thumping sound, the sound of a piece of metal getting shoved into a piece of wood. A moment later another thumping sound came, a little closer this time, and again, and again, and yet again. My heart had jumped into my chest and I swear I screamed my lungs out the moment whatever had been placed upon my head split, or I'm going to assume it did because I felt a bit of juice run down my hair.

"Ladies and gentleman!" The Gleeman called. "The last trick of the night!" He called out and then my blindfold was removed and I screamed again. Driven into the wooden wall that surrounded me were a dozen throwing knives. One was just a hair's breadth above my head, no doubt that was where the apple had been. I sank to my knees and let out a long sob. Tonight was not my night. Anyway that's how that little episode ends. I hope you stick around for more updates from Sea Breeze. Until then stay Frosty as we used to say.

On a barren hill in Glenwood Cemetery there stood a single solitary grave. The grave was nothing more than a simple granite tombstone that In the center one would find the name "James Thomas Sharbrough" Below that the dates ``September 6, 1989 – September 9, 2009" And below that the old Latin inscription of "Requiescat In Pace" Gathering around the stone was a group of three teenagers, all wore black trench coats and all had their hands stuffed in their pockets.

"So the rumors were true?" The one in the middle said.

"Yes, our beloved GM has been called to a great table in the sky." The one furthest from the right said as he looked down and kicked at a pebble.

"There would never be another one like him. He did so much for us. He brought a sense of unity to all of us. Sure he had his problems. But he cared about us. He always stood up for what was right. And he never backed down from a fight." Another said, sighing.

"There will others." Another one said. "But we can't mourn. He'll be laughing at us moping around his grave like this. But he's alone.." He added.

"It seems wrong that even in death he's still counted as the black sheep of the family." He said looking over his head to a collection of gravestones that stood a few hundred yards away from the solitary one. "I guess even in death they could not accept him."

"So you think the rumors were true. That it was suicide that took him?" Another asked.

"I don't know. Last I heard he was struggling with school and was almost going to flunk out. Also I guess it was that rumor he was you know." Another said.

"It was just a rumor.. people like to talk in this small town." Another added.

Finally one of the three kneeled down and touched the grave. "Anyway, wait for us Buddy." He then paused. "Wait for us at that great table in the sky. Lady Jeanette Silver Bow of the Seven Shield Maidens." He added. At this all paused.

And in unison they all cried out.

"In Memory of Lady Jeanette Silver Bow of the Seven Shield Maidens! Legendary GM and Faithful friend to all!" But their cries died on the breath of the wind that blew across that barren hill.

up
82 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Mystical truck...

I had my suspicions that Truck-Kun was involved and its always interesting to see where the souls displaced by that murderous magic truck end up. Im enjoying this story please continue

EllieJo Jayne