Living Next Door to Alex - Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version

laurapausini_1.jpg

Perhaps the final chapter for the competition

Living Next Door to Alex - Chapter 7
By Julie D Cole

‘I have been trying to call you but your phone was switched off. Oh Jules I am so relieved to have you home safe.’

‘Why what’s happened? Is it something bad?’
‘Sally called and she said she saw something on the news. He was involved in an accident with a young woman. I thought it was you. Sally wants me to call her if I hear from you. I told her that you and Alex had been together.’

‘My God, please. No it can’t be true. I’ve only just left him.’

‘Jules calm down please. I’ve been checking on the news but I didn’t see anything. I don’t know which channel she was watching. There is nothing I can find and I’ve checked most channels I know.’

I switched on my personal mobile and the one Alex had bought to see that I had a lot of missed calls and several messages. I scrolled down the messages on both phones as quickly as I could and found one from Gemma. ‘Please call me urgently I need to talk. ‘

We went indoors and mums expression didn’t fill me with confidence that that this was anything but serious. ‘Hang on mum I’ve got a message from Gemma and she was with Alex.’

I called the number but there was no immediate response so I left a message and looked at mum shrugging my shoulders. ‘I’m worried mum.’ I checked the news headlines on Google searching under Alex McClure. Nothing came up except a whole list of his music and his forthcoming tour that he didn’t want to do. There was a link to Rachel Roberts agency with a phone number. So I called the number and got through to her office.

Her assistant was helpful and eventually after a bit of persuasion she transferred me through to Rachels mobile phone since she was out of the office.
‘Oh it’s you, Fine mess you’ve caused. I hope you are proud of yourself. Thanks for interfering. I should sue you if I find out that you are at the back of his unrest. Do you know what it costs to arrange gigs and record albums? All at risk because he is inside your pants.’

‘What do you mean? Alex is not in my pants we just know each other and we’ve been friends forever. What’s happened? Where is Alex?’

‘He’s been involved in an accident and it’s all your fault. You and that stupid young bitch Gemma Garcia. If you could mind your own business none of this would have happened.’

‘Oh my God is he OK.’

‘We don’t know yet he hasn’t come round. The best I can find out is that they have made him comfortable and have him in intensive care. They are trying to contact his family so it doesn’t sound too good.’

‘But what’s happened because he disappeared on me since the media were chasing him? He said it was you trying to find him. He just needed a break and he didn’t want to be found.’

‘Yes I know but he has a contract and he has obligations. He needs to man up. I checked the hotel and found you’d been there with him.’

‘I don’t believe they would do that. They are friends of Alex. I’m an old friend and we are like family. He trusts me and he was struggling. You have him at his wits end. Have you any idea what he is going through and what he wants.’

‘Well he’s not going to get out of this tour whatever tricks he tries. He just better not be feigning injury. I have laid out a lot of cash and we’ve got a few sell out venues.’

‘I thought you were his agent. Don’t you care about him?’

‘Of course I do I made him a rich young man and I taught him a lot.’

‘Yes I know. He admitted it.’

‘Anyway this is none of your business so goodbye. You caused enough trouble already.’

‘Please tell me where he is. I need to see him. I want to help if I can.’

‘Goodbye.’

I burst into tears and mum put her around me and held me tight. Slowly I managed to tell her what Rachel had said.

‘Come on Jules try Sally. Find out what she heard. First let me make you some tea it’s all a shock. Sit and think this through a bit. We’ll go find him together.’

I called Sally and all she has seen was a short newsclip that there had been some sort of accident that involved a car chase and a crash and that Alex was involved. She asked if I’d heard from him recently or if I’d ever got over him leaving. Sally and I hadn’t spoken in a while because she’d eventually given up on me and she was seeing somebody else. I told her that he’d been in touch and that he was tired and he wanted a rest and a new lifestyle. She just said ‘Well he's having a rest now I suppose. Serves him right.’

I ended the call before I lost my temper but only after saying something unkind.

Mum and I drank our tea and managed to come around enough to chat. Then she said that she’d take a couple of days vacation and that she’d come with me. I should retrace my steps. We packed light bags and extended the car hire and drove back to Gemmas parents place. I was tired and too upset to focus on the road so mum drove and we chatted a bit.

‘Jules what made you shoot off with Alex suddenly. I thought you were over him. Was he shocked to see you after the changes?’

‘Mum we were friends for most of our lives and he left home because of his relationship with his parents and the pressures they put on him. It was nothing to do with our friendship.’

‘So he whisked you away. He must have been shocked surely?’

‘Not at all. We’d both changed a bit anyway. But not inside.’

‘So do you have strong feelings for him.’
‘Mum I always had strong feelings for him but I daren’t say anything and it’s a big regret. Now if he is seriously hurt or worse I don’t know what I’ll do.’

‘Does he like you now you are living like this? You are a beautiful young woman.’

‘Of course he likes me and I like him. We both shared our feelings.’

‘What, you mean you made out together?’

‘Not quite but he said he’s always known the real me and he came back because he wanted my help and advice.’

‘Nothing more?’

‘No we were having a great time until somebody recognised him and blabbed to the press. He was trying to keep a low profile in a nice place owned by Gemmas parents. It was beautiful.’

‘So why didn’t you leave with him?’

‘He left with Gemma to try to keep me away from bad publicity.’

‘Sounds weird to me if you were having a great time. Did you share a room?’
‘We did and in case you are asking we shared the same bed.’

‘Does that mean I should be worried? Did he behave himself or not?’

‘Yes we cuddled but that was it. I told him I was having an operation but that I will still be intact with nowhere to go.’

‘He does know the meaning of that doesn’t he?’

‘Yes I told him I was saving up for an orchiectomy and we talked about the cost and the risks. He offered to help and pay for my operation.’

‘Well you know my feelings on the subject. I offered to cash an insurance plan to pay for a full sex change operation. I think an orchiectomy limits your happiness and chances of meeting someone to settle down with in the future.’

‘Mum I’m not loaning money or letting you use what you’ve worked hard to build up for the future.’

‘Look Jules securing your happiness is my responsibility and I can see that you are a different person living as a woman. A lot happier and a lot more confident. I’ve taken advice and I can see you would have a much better chance in life with a full operation. I won’t always be around.’

‘Mum don’t talk like that please. I promise that nothing is final and if Alex and I were to get it together seriously then I need him to have an input too.’

That made us both giggle and then mum started to quiz me about Gemma and asked if Alex and her were in a parallel relationship. I had convinced myself that they were just friends and former performers in the same group. But he had admitted to them having sex together.

When we arrived at the hotel there was no sign of Gemmas car in the parking bay. It had probably been taken away after the smash. Hopefully I could see her if she was recovered enough and find out what had happened and if Alex was OK.

We met her mum on arrival and I introduced my mum. I asked if Gemma was OK and she quickly replied. ‘Yes thanks to Alex. He somehow avoided a massacre with an oncoming truck and they hit a tree. He took the brunt of the force from the airbag and protected her when they collided. Not sure that the car is repairable but I hope Alex is. He’s bust a few ribs and punctured a lung but thank God he’s alive. I gave Gemma a sedative and she’s sleeping.’

‘What caused the accident do they know?’

‘Some media nuts trying to take photos whilst driving. They were going too fast and Gemma says that they had to swerve to avoid a young woman with a pushchair so Alex had little option but to crash. The media guys didn’t even stop to check they were OK.’

‘Which hospital did they take Alex to then? Is it far from here?’

‘St Patricks since they have a big casualty section. It’s about 15 miles from here. He’s still in intensive care I think but hopefully by now he might have been moved to the recovery area. We collected Gemma about 4 hrs ago. He’s a hero. They could have been killed. The hospital is going to give us an update soon. They tried to contact his parents but we don’t have any contact details. Do you?’

Mum answered. ‘I’m afraid we don’t have any information they changed their cell phones and never gave us a forward address. I’m not sure if Alex communicates with them or not, do you know Jules?’

‘I don’t think they talk.’

‘Will you both stay here tonight at least or longer if you wish. We changed the bedding and refreshed the room you used if you don’t mind bunking together.’

I looked at mum and she nodded. I was probably only 5 the last time I’d slept in her bed. We took our bags to the room and returned to the foyer where we said hello to George, Gemmas dad. He was chatting about the accident when Gemma appeared looking half asleep.

‘Oh Jules you made it back already. I ache but at least we are safe. I’ll sue that tv company who caused the accident. They nearly killed us.’

We called the hospital and we were put through to the senior nurse of the recovery ward who said that Alex had woken up and asked about his girlfriend and she’d turned up shortly after he fell asleep again. She was still in the waiting area making phone calls.

Gemma and I looked at each other and spoke in unison. ‘Rachel.’

That decided it. We agreed to go to the hospital immediately to ensure she didn’t add to the stress. No doubt she was happy that she had a legitimate excuse to cancel the bookings for the shows or drop Alex from the programme to avoid losing money. Nobody would expect him to recover in just a few weeks to go on tour.

We took the hire car and mum stayed behind and I drove since Gemma was still half asleep. She woke up as I parked the car and came around after a few sips of water.

We found our way to the recovery room where Alex was isolated and met the nurse. As we were chatting Rachel appeared phone in hand and she glared at Gemma. If looks could kill!!
‘You’re back you little slut. And who’s this with you?’

‘I’m Jules. We spoke earlier and you were very rude.’

‘Ah you, His concubine.’

‘No his one true friend. Unlike you. Don’t you care about him?’

‘I care about his ability to perform and make us a lot of money. Careers are short unless you work at it. Lots of young stars waiting for their chance.’

Then the nurse came through with a doctor and sat us down.

‘Ladies Alex is a very lucky young man. He will recover if he rests and he is cared for. I’m not sure if he’ll be ready to sing again for a while so my daughters will be disappointed. He managed to speak but he was in pain. I recommend he has a few months rest as he looks shot.’

Rachel spoke. ‘Look doc there is a lot at stake here so when can I see him? Time is money and a lot of people depend on him.’

‘Well you can see him one at a time but only 10 minutes at a time with 5 minutes between each visit. So who is first?’

Then Angel the nurse spoke. ‘Doctor Ellingham he asked to see his girlfriend. He kept repeating it all the time he was coming out of the anesthetic.’

‘OK girlfriend first so who is it to be?’

Angel chipped in again. ‘He said her name was Jules.’

up
107 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well…

Robertlouis's picture

…it sounds like Alex has made up his mind. Has Jules?

☠️

24 yrs she waited for her chance

To tell him how she felt, she got more than just a glance,
She's gonna need to get used to living her life with Alex.

Jules

Please, don’t be yet!

This is crying out for a strong finish.

I tried to meet the deadline

Sadly I failed so I left the story at a point where interested parties could decide how it might end.
It got plenty of interest so I will do my best. It's not easy to pitch it right with so many quality writers and passionate readers.
I have enjoyed the challenge.

Jules

Never answered Jules questiin

Jamie Lee's picture

That TV crew is in so much trouble because of what they did. Sure hope they, and the station, are taken to the cleaners.

Rachael is one piece of trash, caring only how much Alex can bring in for her from concerts and recordings. Because she only cares about money, Alex's health was of no interest to her.

Well, she now has no choice in the matter, Alex is out of commission for several months. Months she'll lose a lot of money in her pocket.

Bet the wind went out of Rachael and Gemma's sails when they found out Alex wanted to see his girlfriend, Jules. Rachael had to be particularly angry because he didn't ask for her. Gemma might have been hoping, but may already know Alex fancies Jules.

Others have feelings too.