In Trouble

Printer-friendly version
*-*-*-*- Teek's Mini-Story Collection -*-*-*-*
Smiling Girl
In Trouble

By Teek
© February 11, 2022

“Susan Elizabeth Stone,” I yelled out as soon as I hung up the phone. “Get in here immediately.”

Hearing Susy tripping on a few things as she left her room, I took a deep breath trying to calm my anger. It was never good to punish either of the kids while I was too angry.

When Susy arrived, she had one of the biggest smiles I had ever seen on her face. She stood in front of me just radiating happiness. Didn’t she understand I was mad at her? Usually using all three names was enough to get that message across.

“Would you care to explain to me why I got a call from your teacher?”

The joy didn’t fade as Suzy said, “I got in trouble at school today for calling Bobby names and tripping him as he walked by my desk.”

“Yes, that is no way for a young lady to act,” I was seething with anger, but Suzy did not appear to be taking this seriously. She is just standing there smiling at me. “You could have hurt that boy and calling another person names is never acceptable.”

I looked at Suzy for recognition that she understood my anger over her actions, but nothing. It is almost like she gets happier with everything I say. She did something wrong and even admitted it. She is usually in tears apologizing by this point, but she just has the biggest smile on her face.

“Suzy, I am very disappointed in you. I did not raise you to treat others like that, and here you are not even upset over any of this.”

“Sorry Mommy,” Susy said with a big smile. “Next time he calls me names, I will work harder not to do it back to him.”

“How am I supposed to believe you. You look absolutely giddy. No screen time for a week and you have to do both your sisters and your chores during that time. I will not have one of my daughters harassing and teasing other kids. Trying to trip the poor lad, what were you thinking?”

“Sorry Mom,” Susy expressed as she appeared to be so joyful that she could hardly contain it. “I wasn’t thinking. I was just upset and responded. I will do better next time.”

I looked down at Suzy. My little twelve-year-old was just bursting with happiness. I just took away her screen time for a week. That usually is more than enough to get her to think twice about things, but she appears delighted about it all.

“I will be talking about this with your father when he gets home, and we might give you more punishments. I warn you Susan Elizabeth, this flippant attitude over this issue is unacceptable. You better seriously think about things before Dad gets home. Go to your room.”

Suzy came up and gave me a big bear hug, “Oh, Thank You, Mommy.”

I grabbed her shoulders and moved her arm’s length out, “And what in the world are you so happy about?”

Suszy’s smile grew, “You’re mad at me. Really, really mad at me, and you called me Susan Elizabeth Stone instead of my dead name, Thomas Eric Stone.”

With that, Suzy turned and skipped out of the room.

up
159 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Twists

Teek's picture

It isn't always easy to pull off a twist. When this one entered my mind, the hardest part was keeping the reader in the dark, while having Suzy's happiness climbing.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Punch

Daphne Xu's picture

Okay, that sort-of explains it. Still, she must be made of stone not to be caught up in humiliation by then.

-- Daphne Xu

Every comment

Teek's picture

Every time Mom said her name, used the right pronoun, or called her daughter, Suzy got happier and happier. That was way more important than any yelling or punishment that her mom could hand out.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Super cute!

RobertaME's picture

As always with you, Teek... a super-cute story!

I did see the end coming though. You did a good job of hiding it, but my brain sees patterns very easily.

She was so happy that her mother was mad at her... not him... that nothing else mattered. All the punishments in the world don't compare to the idea that your own parents don't know you... for how can they truly love you if they don't even know who you are? Compared to that, her punishments were minor.

Hugs,
Roberta

Location

Teek's picture

Having a story posted on a transgender story site does sort of give away a little bit of the twist. When I read it to my writing group, it was a much bigger surprise.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Very nice build-up

Though I wonder what Bobby did to provoke her and if there were any other consequences for him.
(Yes, I know. I have the same habit of leaving such questions unanswered in my stories).

My Impression

Daphne Xu's picture

I get the impression that the initial part was being called to school about her daughter. But the escalated aggravation was the sense that she just wasn't getting through to her daughter.

-- Daphne Xu

Exactly

Teek's picture

That is what I was trying to convey. I thought about putting in more about what she did to the kid at school, but it was irrelevant to the story as a whole.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

we need more

We need more confident kids like Susan. and supportive parents too.

Ha ha

Teek's picture

Yeah, when you phrase it that way. I have to agree with you. She never did say what she was going to be better at. He He - - Will she be a better, well-behaved girl or will she be better at giving Bobby a hard time, maybe next time without being caught. A parent who wasn't flustered with her happiness in the middle of being punished would have gotten clarity on this point.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

An ending

Worthy of Bru.

Honor

Teek's picture

Thank You. That is certainly high praise. I am honored that you feel that way.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek