Running Late

Printer-friendly version
*-*-*-*- Teek's Mini-Story Collection -*-*-*-*

hair.jpg

Running Late

By Teek
© March 2022

“Hillary Marie Elkson, you have one minute to get down here. If I have to go up there to get you . .”

“I’m coming Mom,” Hillary said as she started down the stairs.

Nancy looked at her daughter. There was no way they could just walk out the door. She was dressed, but that hair. Quickly going into the other room to get a brush and some hair ties, Nancy was soon combing out the bedhead.

“Owwwww, that hurts.”

“Well next time young lady, come down the first time I call your name. We just don’t have time at the moment to be gentle.”

Getting the comb stuck in a bird’s nest, Nancy went to get some detangler, “Honestly, Nancy. I’ve told you that you need to put your hair in a ponytail before going to bed or wear a night cap.”

“Sorry, Mom. Owwww. I forgot. Ahhhh. I was . . .”

“You were reading and fell asleep. Yeah, I know. I was the one that came in and put your glasses and book on your nightstand after you fell asleep,” Nancy said as she finally got the last snarl out of the hair. “I am so glad that you are reading instead of on your tablet, but you really need to be more careful not to fall asleep with your glasses on.”

“I know.”

“There, done! Now get out of those bunny slippers and put some good shoes on. We are running late.”

“They never start on time,” Hillary said as she rushed to get her shoes on. Standing up she noticed herself in the entry way mirror, “Really Mom, high pigtails with pompom hair ties? I’m twelve, not . . .”

“You are my little girl and if you can’t get your act together enough to get your hair done in time, you get whatever I’m in the mood for,” Nancy said with a smile. “I think you look cute in high pigtails.”

Hillary rolled her eyes.

“Now scoot. Your Dad and brother are already in the car waiting for us. I really don’t want to be up on the balcony at Church again. It is so hard to see the pastor from up there.”

up
101 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hmmmmmm………

D. Eden's picture

Wonder where this is going.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Mini-Stories

Teek's picture

Although my Mini-Stories have the potential to be continued, I mark them all as completed with no intention of continuing them. I normally write long stories (currently working on two stories that are currently 100K words), so trying to get emotions and a full scene in such a short span is my personal challenge when writing these.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

That's a nice story.

WillowD's picture

And just the right length too.