Life Goes On Chp. 5

Printer-friendly version

Artemis was nervous as her mother drove her to Kelly’s house. She has never been to an all-girl sleepover before. She looks at the birthday present she wrapped herself, with her mother’s advice.

“Are you excited, kiddo?” Roxana looks at her daughter as they drove to Kelly’s house.

“I think I’m nervous, mom. I’ve never been to a sleepover before.” Artemis was feeling nervous about being around a bunch of girls. She was raised as a boy and didn’t know what girls talked about or did.

Roxana could see that Artemis was nervous “you’ll do fine, sweetie. Just think as the girls as boys and what you use to do with your friends.”

“That’s the thing, mom. I never had many friends.” Artemis looks at her mother.

“I’m sorry about that sweetie. Just be open to what the other girls want to do, as long as it's legal.” Roxana remembered trying some liquor when she was with her friends.

“I promise not to do anything to embarrass you, mom.” Artemis looks at her mother.

“Just have fun and enjoy yourself, sweetie. This will help you as a girl.” Roxana pulls along the curb in front of Kelly’s house.

Roxana grabs the cupcakes she bought for the party. She watches as Artemis grabs her pillow, sleeping bag, an overnight bag. She makes sure Artemis has the present for Kelly. Mother and daughter walk up to the front door and knock since Kelly’s place didn’t have a doorbell or knocker.

After a few minutes, the door opens and Kelly’s mother, Jenny stands there. A smile appears on her face “you must be Artemis.” Jenny looks at Artemis.

“Yes ma’am. And this is my mother Roxana Elkins.”

“It’s nice to meet you, Mrs. Elkins.”

“Please, call me Roxana.” A smile appears on Roxana’s face.

“Okay, Roxana. Please come in.” Jenny steps aside to let Roxana and Artemis in the house.

“Where do you want me to place Kelly’s gift, Mrs. Ward?” Artemis looks at Kelly’s mother.

“You can place it on the end of the dining room table with the rest of the gifts.”

“Okay.” Artemis starts walking towards the dining room table.

“Where would you like these?” Roxana holds the cupcakes up.

“You didn’t need to do this.” Jenny saw how pretty the cupcakes look.

“I know what it’s like to have a bunch of girls over.” Roxana has been to a few birthday parties and her mother always sent cupcakes.

“You can put them on the dining room table as well, next to the cake. And thank you for them.”

“You’re welcome.” Roxana follows Artemis.

Artemis saw several gifts already on the table. She places her gift on top of one of the big ones. She turned around and spotted her mother walking towards her. She set the cupcakes on the table next to the birthday cake.

Roxana looks at her daughter “you enjoy being with your friends.”

“Thanks, mom.” Artemis hugs her mother goodbye.

Artemis watches as her mother leaves. Jenny escorts Artemis to where all the girls were. She recognizes some of them from school. She saw Kelly and walks over to her and hugs her. Kelly was her best friend.

“Artemis, I’m so glad you made it. I want to introduce you to some of the girls. That is Betsy and she’s my cousin.” Kelly points towards a brown hair girl. She was watching another tall skinny girl.

“Who is Betsy looking at?” Artemis was curious.

“That is Betsy’s big sister and my cousin as well. Let’s see, there is Carol, Cindy, Shelly. Shelia, Elizabeth, Mary, and Tia. You know all of them from school.”

“Hey, ladies.” Artemis waves to the girls.

“Artemis, welcome to the party.” Shelly gets up and hugs Artemis.

“So, how long have you girls been here?” Artemis looks at everyone.

“Not long. We spent the night last night.” Betsy and her sister were Kelly’s cousins after all.

“Do any of you girls have any allergies?” Jenny looks at all the girls.

“No ma’am.” All the girls respond as one.

“Would you girls, prefer pizza, tacos, or Chinese food?”

“Chinese food!” all the girls prefer Chinese food.

“Alright, I’ll place the order. Do all of you like egg rolls?”

“Yes ma’am.”

Jenny pulls her cellphone out and calls No.1 Chinese takeout. She watches as the girls go back into the living room and start singing again. An hour later Kelly’s father goes and pick-up the food. While he is gone, four of the girls help Jenny’s mother set up everything for dinner and the party afterward.

After dinner, all the girls sing Happy Birthday to Kelly. Artemis could see how much it meant to Kelly. Afterward, they have cake, cupcakes, and ice cream. They watch as Kelly opens all her birthday gifts. She loved the bracelet with the charms on it that Artemis picked out for her.

She gives Artemis a big hug. While she is hugging Artemis “thank you. I love it.”

“You’re welcome.” Artemis was happy her friend liked her birthday gift.

After dinner and after they help Kelly’s mother clean up. The girls change into their nightclothes. They play a few games and watch movies. Artemis loved when Kelly brushes her hair and styles it for her.

Carol paints Kelly’s toes, while Betsy paints Artemis's toes. Tia and Elizabeth were doing each other’s fingers.

“Artemis, which guy in school do you like?” Elizabeth looks at Artemis to see what she thought.

“I’m not interested in any guys. I’m just trying to keep up with my studies.” Artemis was trying to maintain her grades, instead of socializing a lot.

“Look, you need to have some fun. I bet several guys would be interested in you.”

“Who are you interested in?” Artemis looks over towards Elizabeth.

“Jason Highwater. He’s on the wrestling team and looks nice.”

Artemis shakes her head as she looks at the color Carol was putting on her toes. Later, everyone starts getting tired and falling off to sleep.

up
165 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Artemis

Samantha Heart's picture

Does need to have more fun, but studies ARE more important, but so is socializing.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.