Life Goes On Chp. 2

Printer-friendly version

Cooper Jenkins High School:
“Hey Artemis, did you finish the homework Mrs. Thompson and Mr. Jordan gave us yesterday?” Kelly catches up with her friend.

“I finished Mr. Jordan’s assigned homework in class yesterday. As for Mrs. Thompson’s assigned homework, I finished it at my mom’s work.”
Artemis was glad that Sarojini was able to help her. If it wasn’t for her help, she wouldn’t have managed to finish.

“Can I copy what you got for problem forty-five on page one hundred and four, please?” Kelly had problems with that one.

“Sure, I don’t see why not. That one was a pain in the butt to figure out.” Artemis had to get Sarojini’s help with that one.

“Thanks.” Kelly takes her cellphone out to copy it. She’ll work on it during lunch break.

Artemis takes her notebook out and lets Kelly take a photo of it. Kelly was one of the first friends she made when she started school this year.
Her adopted mother was in a different school district than her last school.

Kelly snaps a picture of it. She looks at it and couldn’t believe how many steps it took to solve it. She was good at math, but this problem was a bear to deal with.

“So, what are your plans next weekend?” Kelly looks at her new friend.

“Mmmm, it depends what my mother and aunt want to do. Why?” Artemis was curious as she looks towards her friend.

“Well, it’s my birthday next weekend and my mother is going to let me have a slumber party. I was wondering if you would like to come over and spend the night?” Kelly didn’t have many friends, but the ones she did have. She hopes would come over.

“Sure, I’ll have to ask my mother.” Artemis has never spent the night at another girl’s house.

“Cool! I’ll send you an email tonight. We can leave here after school next weekend.

“Okay.” Artemis splits off to go to her first bell class.

She had Social Studies first thing in the morning. Mr. Kramer was trying to make the class interesting. That was what she liked about his class. The teacher she had last year was so boring.

Since she was so short, she sat up front to record everything that Mr. Kramer wrote on the board. She was the shortest person in her class. The next shortest was a guy named Henry. He was five feet, two inches tall. However, he was very muscular. You could tell how well-developed his muscles were when he wore a t-shirt.

After Mr. Kramer’s class, she had homeroom. Her homeroom teacher was Mrs. Schwartz. She was an older woman who has been teaching for a long time. After her homeroom, she had English next. Mrs. Wheeler was almost as tall as she was. She was shorter than Mrs. Wheeler.

The assignment Mrs. Wheeler assigned was to write a story based on several subject matters she had written on the whiteboard. You had to incorporate at least four subject matters into the story. She does a rough draft of the story and hands it in by the end of the class. The final story was the homework.

Her next class was her Physics class. Her teacher was an older black guy that loved science. He was very knowledgeable about what he was teaching and passed that love onto his class. That was what Artemis liked about him a lot.

Artemis makes sure she copies down everything he puts upon the board. She sat in the middle of the classroom behind one of the guys on the debate team. She didn’t do any of the after-school activities. Her next class was gym.

She dresses out for gym class and does some of the warm-up exercises. Since she had her operation just before school started. She is excused from taking part in the main part of the class. According to her doctor, she could start being fully active in gym class next month.

While everyone is playing volleyball, she works on her English homework. Some of her classmates thought she was faking it. However, some of the girls that shared a locker near her, saw that she wasn’t.

After gym, was lunch. She spots Kelly, Elizabeth, Mary, and Carol sitting at a table. She goes through the line and selects her lunch. She couldn’t believe that she was getting lunch. This time last year, she couldn’t afford to get lunch. Her uncle never gave her money to buy lunch. She was thankful for her adopted mother and aunt.

They made sure she always had nice, clean clothes and money for lunch. Once she has her lunch, she walks over to the table where Kelly was sitting. She was glad none of her classmates knew anything about her from last year.

“Hey, what are you girls up to?” Artemis sits down next to Mary.

“We're talking about which guy this year is the hottest. Who do you like?” Elizabeth looks at Artemis.

“I haven’t thought about it.” Artemis looks around at the kids in the lunchroom.

“Oh, come on Artemis. There must be a guy in the school this year you like.” Elizabeth was watching Artemis.

“Honestly, there’s no one I’m interested in. I’m more concerned about my schoolwork and passing my classes.” Artemis takes a bite from her lunch.

Elizabeth looks at Artemis “do you like girls, instead?”

“Honestly, Elizabeth. I’m not looking for anyone. I want to concentrate on my schoolwork and spend time with my friends.” Artemis was getting a little pissed about the subject.

“Artemis, aren’t you thinking about coming to the school Halloween party the school host and the winter dance in December?” Mary looks at Artemis to see what she says.

“I didn’t know the school hosted a Halloween party or about the Winter dance.” Artemis must have missed that when she read the booklet the school gave her and her mother.

“I didn’t know about the Halloween party or the Winter dance.”

“Yeah, the school host a Halloween party for the high schoolers, and the Winter dance is for the Juniors and Seniors students.”

“Well, I’m just a sophomore. I don’t have to worry about it.”

“But one of the juniors or seniors can ask you to the dance.” Mary was hoping she would be asked this year.

“Well, when someone asks me, I’ll be concerned about it.” Artemis finishes her lunch.

When the bell rings letting everyone know they needed to head to their next class. Artemis makes a stop at her locker and gets her math book. She also grabs her Spanish book for her last class.

She heads towards her Math class next and turns in her homework. She sits next to Kelly in class. Her Kelly had math and Spanish together. Kelly was good at Spanish because her mother spoke three different languages.

After her classes, she takes the school bus to her mother’s work. Artemis watches as her bus driver follows his normal route and drops each student off. When he comes to her stop, she gets off and crosses the street to her mother’s auto repair shop.

Artemis waves to whoever was at the desk, as she walks into the office and sits down at her mother’s desk. She pulls out her homework and starts working on her homework. She had a lot to do and was glad Mrs. Thompson didn’t give them a lot of math homework to do.

Before she gets started on her homework, she grabs some quarters from her mothers’ desk and grabs a soda from the machine. Her mother didn’t mind her having one soda. She sits back down at the desk and concentrates on her homework.

up
193 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Artmis is learning

Samantha Heart's picture

Quickly how girls talk & gossip. Now she is invited to a slumber party. She is acidemicly modivated, and not looking for a bf or a gf, just friends & school.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Must seem strange to the girls

Jamie Lee's picture

Artemis appears to be doing better now than she was doing last year.

She has two loving adults who make sure her needs are met, at home and at school. Which makes Artemis feel better. As does the fact she is now a full girl.

It must seem strange to those girls that Artemis isn't interested in a personal relationship while in school. Had they known her entire story they might understand her reasons.

Still, she can't hide away from relationships as one might happen without her noticing. Concentrating on her school is good but can't be a substitute for having outside relationships.

Others have feelings too.