Let the Music Play Chp. 19

Printer-friendly version

The weeks leading up to when the band was supposed to be in Los Angeles, California was busy. Lindsey and Kaja had looked over the rules and regulations for the band competing if they are chosen to go through. Tickets were being provided for the band members, and one member of their family. Anyone else, they had to pay for their tickets. As for their instruments, the competition didn’t pay for the cost to ship them. So, that had to come out of the money the girls made from their gigs.

They couldn’t wear anything that had any kind of logo on it. Which Kaja could understand. However, she suggested that the girls wear ordinary clothes for the audition. They should hold off wearing their performance outfits until the end. That way, they can cut loose with their music.

“What music should we play?” Vicky looks at Kaja and Lindsey.

“You’re going to play a song I wrote for you. You girls have a unique sound that will go with it. Remember, you only have two minutes to impress the judges and the audience. So, impress them, but save the fancy performance for the end.” Lindsey knew the music she wrote for them was two minutes long and will get the attention of the judges and the audience.

“What are we going to play for the next stage?” Vicky was curious.

“Don’t worry, I have you girls covered for that as well.” Lindsey had a handful of music she has been working on for Dusty Gasket and Paper Dolls.

Lindsey and Kaja have the girls practicing the new songs and a little dance step to go with the music. The first run-through, with the new song, was alright, but not perfect.

“Do it again and this time, put a little bit more emotion into the song.” Lindsey could tell the girls could do it better.

The second run-through was a little bit better. The timing was on the mark and the girls sounded more confident with the song.

“Better, but I want perfect. I want to feel like dancing when you play this song.” Lindsey could tell the girls were trying.

The girls run through the song two more times. Each time the song got better and better. By the time the girls finished the song. They were tired and also proud of themselves.

“That was a lot better. If the judges pass on you girls, then they don’t know music or your talent.” Lindsey hopes the girls do well.

“What do we do if they don’t like us?” Brandi looks at Lindsey and Kaja.

“Then, you enter another competition and practice more. I know you girls can do it.” Kaja was proud of them.

“Thanks.”

The girls go about wiping down their instruments and putting them away. Brandi checks to see if she has enough drumsticks and that the skins on her drums were in good condition. She wanted to take her drums, instead of using the ones at the audition.

The rest of the day, the girls pack. Their mother double-checks their reservations and such. Kaja and Lindsey double-check their reservations as well. They were staying in the same hotel as the girls.

The flight from Florida to California was going to take them about five hours. They were going to stay for two days. There wasn’t a time slot selected for the girls, so they would be backstage waiting to go on and perform. The rules suggest they bring snacks to munch on.

The Day of The Flight:
The girls are excited as they board the plane taking them to Los Angeles, California. The hotel they were staying at was near the theater they would be auditioning at. Lindsey and Kaja watch the girls as they enjoy the flight. Vicky and Diana were looking out the window as they flew above the clouds.

The flight to Los Angeles was nonstop. Lindsey pulls out a wedding gown book and looks at the gowns. She already knew Kaja has decided what type she wanted to wear. Lindsey was looking for something that her small stature would look good in. She turns to look at Kaja “you know the worst thing about being small?”

“No, what?” Kaja looks at Lindsey as she sat next to her.

“It’s hard as hell to find something nice in my size, without looking like I’m a child.” Lindsey hasn’t found a dress, yet she liked that would fit her small stature.

“You could always have one custom made for you.” Kaja squeezes Lindsey's hand softly.

“True.” Lindsey puts the magazine she was looking at in her carry-on bag.

For the rest of the flight, Lindsey rests her head against Kaja as she works on a new design on her laptop. Occasionally, Lindsey would make a suggestion to the design Kaja was working on. She liked watching Kaja work on new designs for their merchandise.

She just watches Kaja until they start landing. Once they are descending, Lindsey watches Kaja put everything away.

“This should be fun.” Lindsey grabs her carry-on and follows Kaja off the plane.

The rental van they rented was waiting for them. Vicky’s mother drives them to the hotel they are staying in. The girls check in first because their reservation was done by AGT. Lindsey and Kaja check-in after the girls do. Once they are settled in. The girls change their clothes and freshen up. They double-check their instruments and make them have everything they need.

Lindsey and Kaja change their clothes as well and freshen up. Kaja was wearing her favorite business suit since she was the girl’s manager.

“How do I look?” Kaja looks at Lindsey.

“Like you belong in a high-end office.” Lindsey couldn’t believe how professional Kaja looked.

“Good, that should impress the judges and such.”

Lindsey, Kaja, the girls, and Vicky’s mother head to the theater. They had their instruments with them. Once they check-in and have the drum set all set up. They sit and wait. They couldn’t believe all the people there for their auditions.

Lindsey looks around and notices a lot of singers, ballet troupes, and other people hoping to continue or get picked. Kaja was trying to calm the girls and keep them from being too nervous. Occasionally, everyone would hear the red buzzer go off. Sometimes once, other times all four would go off, one after another. The performers coming off stage looked disappointed.

Kaja watches as the girls are interviewed for the show. Kaja had coached them on what to say. She wanted them to put out there they were a garage band that have been playing for months as a cover band and such.

Near the end of the night, their chance to go out and impress the judges finally comes. Vicky’s mother waits with the host as the girls go out to introduce themselves and play.

up
124 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Look foward

Samantha Heart's picture

To the next chapter. When Paper Dolls take the stage & wow the audience & more importantly the judges & go on to the next round.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.