Chapter 11 - Gut Instinct

Printer-friendly version

Link: The Wisher's Paradox Title Page and Description

CAUTION - Referenced Sexual Abuse of Minors

---

Climbing out of the car, Lyle knew he was on shaky ground. Officially, as an FBI agent, he had no reason or jurisdiction to be at the inspection of the home Ruth's parents had rented in order to take custody of Christina. Still, he hadn't been able to shake the feeling in his gut that if he didn't look into it, something terrible might happen. After twenty years of first being a cop and then an FBI agent, he'd learned to trust that instinct as it'd saved his life countless times. His hunch had paid off when he'd looked into Nancy's file.

The biggest red flag was when he found out that Nancy Boyd would be part of the inspection team. When the woman blew up in his interview room, he knew something was 'off'. Charlene's notice that Christina was being moved to Tucson was the clincher. Seeing she could bar the Robbins from taking custody to ensure it, he did some digging and found several irregularities. Twice she'd been in his interview room when her public records showed she'd been on home inspections. Digging further, he'd found an unusual number of visits to one foster home in Tucson, but it was her most recent activity that had told him what to expect today.

Walking up to Charlene and Nancy as they got out of their vehicle, Lyle smiled. "Morning, ladies!"

"What are you doing here?" Nancy asked in surprise.

"Just a follow-up on the Cocoran case." he stated nonchalantly. "This is my partner, Agent Kent." he gestured to the man in the walking cast.

"Morning." Richard grumbled.

"You don't have jurisdiction here!" Nancy growled. "You can't interfere!"

"Oh, we won't!" Lyle sang happily. "We're just here to observe and meet with the Robbins. I want to make sure they jive with their background checks."

"Just so long as that's clear!" the woman barked.

Walking up to the front door together, Nancy took charge and knocked on the door, only to have Charlene tap her on the shoulder.

"Excuse me, Ms. Boyd. I believe I'm the lead caseworker on this! Don't you think I should..."

"No." Nancy interrupted her. "I'm the senior caseworker! This is a home inspection! I've done hundreds of them! How many have you done?"

Cowed, Charlene cleared her throat. "Um... only two, but..."

"Then keep quiet and do what I tell you, Ms. Dawson!" Nancy ordered.

Just then the door opened to reveal a woman in her mid sixties, but her demeanor was anything but frail. Strength of will practically radiated from the woman. "May I help you?" Virginia Robbins intoned coldly.

Her turn to be unnerved, Nancy tried to bully her way through it as usual. "We're from the Arizona Department of Child Safety here to inspect your home before placement of Christina Doe. Let us in so we can get this done!"

Raising an eyebrow, Virginia stood silently.

"Christina Doe?" Charlene puzzled. "My records show her name as Christina Cocoran. That's the basis of this kinship placement."

"I redacted the files." Nancy smirked. "There's no corroborating paperwork showing a legal last name, so she has none. She's officially Christina Doe."

Walking up to the door next to his wife, Walter Robbins was holding a stack of papers. "That's funny, I have several FBI reports here, one of which is a DNA report, that says her name is Christina Cocoran. That sounds like a legal surname to me."

Angry that her attempt to deny kinship placement by claiming there was no significant relationship was being thwarted by others having the DNA test results, Nancy tried to resolve the issue. "Reports created for DCS are not public records!" Nancy shouted, "You'll have to turn those papers over to me immediately, Mr. Robbins!"

"Those reports weren't created for DCS, Nancy." Lyle pointed out. "We gave them to you as a courtesy."

Wincing at being caught out, Nancy turned back to the older couple still standing behind their screen door. "Open the door Mr. Robbins, or I'll report that you refused us entry and your application as a kinship foster family will be denied! Do you want your grandchild today?"

"Sure thing." the man offered. "Just show me the paperwork."

"That's privileged information, Mr. Robbins! You aren't allowed to see it!"

"No, you're required by Arizona law to present it on request." he countered, citing the statute. "Do you want me to call your supervisor today?"

Frustrated, Nancy held out the order for home inspection. Opening the screen door, Walter took the paper, scanned it quickly, and handed it back to her. "I'm sorry, this order is invalid. The case number doesn't match the one for my granddaughter and her last name is filled in incorrectly. There are also several spelling errors throughout it." Leaning toward her, he changed to a conspiratorial tone. "Premises has an 'i' in the middle, not three 'e's."

"Very well then!" Nancy sneered. "You can either accept the order as-is or we'll have to go back and change it and come back next week!"

"Actually, I have the copy of the inspection order that I made, Ms. Boyd." Charlene interrupted. "I double-checked it and it looks to be in order." Handing the paper to Walter, she smiled in satisfaction of being right.

Scanning it, Walter grinned at the woman ten years younger than Nancy. "Looks good to me!" he handed it back to her. "Please! Come in!"

Storming in past the couple, Nancy still had an ace up her sleeve to disqualify the home, but it was riskier. Pulling out her checklist, she started checking off items as she began making her way through the house while Charlene talked to the couple about their legal rights as a kinship foster family. Seeing her opportunity in their kitchen, Nancy reached into her pocket and pulled out the bag, intent on 'finding' it there.

"Well, well, well!" Lyle surprised her as his hand wrapped around hers with the bag still in it. "Rich! Come here! I need you to see this!"

Stunned that he'd caught her, Nancy immediately resorted to her usual bully tactics. "Get your hands off me Agent, or I'll have you arrested for assault!"

Richard came up to him and nodded at her trapped hand. "What is it, Lyle?"

Turning her hand over, he pried her fingers open and took the baggy. "I don't think that's sweetener, Rich!" Lyle quipped as he handed it to his partner.

Opening the baggy, he dipped a pinky in and tasted it. "Cocaine." Richard confirmed. "Looks like a couple grams."

Pulling out handcuffs, Lyle took great pleasure in what he did next. "Nancy Boyd? You're under arrest for possession!" Ratcheting them on her wrists, he pulled her into the living room while reciting her Miranda Rights.

"What's going on?" Charlene asked.

"I just arrested Ms. Boyd for possession of a narcotic." he stated calmly. "She pulled out a baggy of cocaine in plain sight in front of a federal agent. It's my belief she intended to claim she found it in their kitchen."

Looking at her co-worker, Charlene was stunned. "Why?"

"I don't have to say anything!" Nancy fumed. "I want a lawyer!"

"Makes me glad I retired!" Walter quipped.

"She's been trying to get Christina to Tucson since day one." Lyle offered in explanation. "Now what I wonder is why, and why she makes monthly visits to that particular foster home? Isn't it supposed to be semi-annual? Rich? You wanna see Ms. Boyd out? I'll stay and see that everything's what we're expecting." Seeing his partner nod and take the woman out to their car, he stepped up to the DCS caseworker. "Sorry about that, Charlene. Her being at a home to remove kids because of drug abuse that wasn't one of her cases told me her basic plan, so I knew what she was going to try to do, but I had to catch her in the act and I couldn't tell you beforehand."

Sitting down, she looked at him numbly. "I understand Agent Stewart."

Taking a seat across from her, he looked at Charlene. "I suspected something was wrong when Tucson came up twice for the same girl. I think something very bad is going on in that house. I have no probable cause to perform a search, but you can enter on demand on fear of revoking the foster family's license. Consider this an official 'tip' of suspected abuse."

Taking it all in, Charlene nodded. "A...Alright. I'll see what I can do."

"It'll be noted in Nancy's arrest report." he stated in a veiled threat that if she didn't follow up it would be on record somewhere that she knew and didn't do anything about it. "Anyway, let's get this inspection done so we can get Christina home!"

Putting the few clothes that DCS had given her in a plastic grocery bag, Christina was mostly happy to get out of the Hollander home. The one thing she would miss sat across from her on Lisa's bed.

"I'm sorry you have to go so soon." Dawn sighed. "I mean, we just got to know one another and now you're going! Who can I talk to that will get it?"

Putting aside one bag, the girl picked up the second to hold her underwear and socks. "I know! You could always look online! I'm sure there's more out there than just... um... pornography."

Dawn looked away sadly. "It won't be the same!" she complained. "I mean, you totally get it! I think I might even believe you about that crazy magic stuff! You understand being TG from a perspective only we can get!"

Setting down the second bag after finishing, she went over to Dawn and gave her a hug. "There! Now when you get lonely, you can know that someone knows you and cares!" Hearing a honk from outside, Christina brightened. "They're here! Come on!" Grabbing Dawn's hand, she dragged the girl down the hall and out the front door; Sarah, Lisa, and Robert nowhere in sight.

Charlene stood with Walter Robbins next to her car. Seeing the two run out the front door, Christina carrying all her worldly possessions in two plastic shopping bags, Walter nearly cried at the sight of her. She looks just like Ruth when she was little!

Running up to her grandfather, her pace slowed when she didn't see her parents. "Where's Mother and Daddy?" she asked Charlene.

"Your parents are fine!" the caseworker told her. "Christina? This is Walter Robbins. He's... well... your grandfather."

Kneeling down in front of her, Walter smiled weakly. "Hello, Christina!"

"Hi." she mumbled. "Um... this is Dawn." she glanced back at her friend. "Dawn's parents are the ones who've been taking care of me ever since... um... since I was taken from Mother and Daddy." she finished, looking at the ground.

Looking at the teen, Walter nodded. "Hello, Don. Come to see her off?"

"Sorta." she answered, sticking her hands in her front pockets and kicking a loose stone lightly. "Christina's a pretty special girl. I tried to look out for her and help her as much as I could. I... I'm kinda sorry to see her leave, but I'm glad she's going to be with her family. She deserves it after what she's been through."

Nodding at her, Walter stood back up and extended a hand to Christina. "Here. Give me those bags and you say goodbye to your friend."

Handing off her meager belongings, she turned and hugged the teen who'd taken a knee to get down to her level. "I... I'll miss you, Dawn!"

Returning the hug, she felt the warmth of the sun leave her back. Looking up, she saw Charlene standing over her.

"That's enough, Don." the social worker warned her. While she understood that the two cared for one another, she had rules to enforce. One of them was to limit physical contact between older and younger foster siblings.

Letting the little girl go, Dawn stood up and stepped back. "It's OK. I get it. You got your rules."

"It's a pretty dumb rule that says I can't hug a friend!" Christina grumbled.

"I know, sweetie!" Charlene agreed. "Not my decision, though. You ready?" Seeing her nod, she took the girl's hand and led her to the open car door.

"Goodbye, Dawn!" she cried out as she got in. Once the door was closed, she rolled the window down and leaned out. "Remember! Someone knows and cares! Just... have a little faith!"

Seeing the girl disappear from the window, Dawn stood outside and watched as the car drove away, waving as it shrank into the distance before hanging her head and turning to go back inside. Faith, huh? What the hell! I got nothing to lose! Besides, it'll irk the crap outta Mom!

Christina rode in the car in silence while Walter and Charlene talked in the front seat; the caseworker reminding him of the rules they had to follow. When they finally got to the Robbins' residence, she began to get nervous. The last time she'd seen her grandmother had been her sixth birthday. Now she'd be living with the woman and didn't know what they knew of her circumstances. Did Mother and Daddy tell them the truth or do they think that Walt is still missing? she wondered.

Helping Christina out of the car, Charlene walked the girl up to the front door and into the house just behind Walter. Entering the living room, she saw Virginia standing there and was instantly intimidated by the woman's ramrod posture and overpowering presence. "Mrs. Robbins? I'd like you to meet Christina, your granddaughter."

Looking down at the girl, Virginia Robbins saw her daughter all over again. Walking up to the girl, she smiled. "It's good to finally meet you, Christina. You may call me Grandma Robbins."

Blushing at the woman's formal attitude, Christina remembered the last time she'd seen her. I was always so afraid of Grandma Robbins! It was like she could see right through you! "Um... h... hello, Grandma Robbins."

Reaching a hand out, the older woman waited until Christina took it before guiding her delicately to the couch. Sitting next to the girl, she sighed and petted her head as the proper woman's air of dignity dissolved. "You... you look like your mother! I think I'd know you were my granddaughter if I met you on the street!" Leaning over, she wrapped her arms around the girl and cried in contentment when Christina returned the embrace.

Smiling at the loving scene, Charlene turned to Walter, who'd just put the few things his granddaughter had brought with her on the girl's bed before returning to the living room. "Alright, Mr. Robbins... one last time. The Cocorans are not to have any contact with Christina. Her court-appointed lawyer will be here tomorrow to go over the particulars of the hearing this Friday. It's unlikely they will be given custody, so you need to be prepared to raise Christina for the foreseeable future." Pulling out a pamphlet, she handed it to him. "If you need financial assistance, this will tell you who to contact. Support groups exist to help you, so you should make use of them. I'll be available if there are any problems, but if the birth parents try to take her, just call the police. Let them handle it!"

Raising his chin, Walter nodded vaguely. "Very well, Ms. Dawson. We won't be needing any financial assistance, though. I did very well in life and have more than enough set aside."

Smiling, the woman turned to see Christina and her grandma still hugging. "Well! I can see this is going to work out very well! Goodbye, Mr. Robbins!" Holding out her hand, she shook the ex-lawyer's and let him escort her to the door.

At last alone, Christina pulled out of Virginia's hug. "Grandma Robbins? Um... what were you told about me? I mean, about what happened to me?"

Noticing the concern on the girl's face, Virginia's expression returned to her usual impassive look. "We were told many things about you, Christina. The young lady who just left told us that you are our grandson Walt's fraternal twin, spirited away at birth. That the people that raised you called you Walt and raised you like a boy, and are the same people that abducted him."

"Oh." the girl looked at her lap. "Yeah. All that."

"It's much the same story my daughter told me." Virginia sighed as her husband returned to join them. "Walter? Would you be a dear and get us some tea?"

"Of course, love!" the man smiled before heading into the kitchen.

Alone once more, Virginia wryly grinned at the sad girl seated next to her. Reaching out, she lifted Christina's chin until she was once more looking in her eyes. "I am, however, not a stupid, nor unobservant, woman... Walt."

Swallowing hard and unsure how to take that, Christina looked at her face. "Um... that... that's what the people that raised me called me. My name's Christina, though. I... I always knew I was a girl!"

"I know." she stated emphatically. "I saw it in you at your sixth birthday. The look in your eyes each time you opened a present meant for a boy spoke volumes! I see that same look in your eyes, Christina." Looking away, the woman sighed. "I was the one to tell your mother of your problem. It's the reason she spent six years with not much more than a phone call on holidays. She... she didn't want to hear what she needed to do about it."

Stunned, Christina got her thousand-yard stare again. "So... you knew I was a girl inside... and you know that I used to be Walt?"

"I know what my eyes and ears tell me." Virginia answered. "Since the first moment I heard your story, I was suspicious. My daughter would not have kept the fact of a stillborn daughter from me back then. Add to that the fact that you were naturally effeminate as a child, the way you move, speak, and the expressions on your face, and I see my grandson in you. I do not pretend to know how, but I still know."

Taking a breath, Christina laid it all out.

Listening intently, Virginia took it all in with equanimity and aplomb. When Walter returned with the tea, just after Christina had finished and before she could respond, she smiled up at her husband of forty-three years. "Walter, dear? Would you show... Christina... to her room? I... I need a moment."

In all their years together, the man had rarely seen his wife unsettled about anything, and he knew her well enough to see it when others couldn't. The last time had been the day their daughter and their family had left to return to Phoenix, Ruth saying that it would be better if the two families kept their distance from then on. "OK, love." he replied calmly. Extending a hand to his granddaughter, Walter smiled. "Come on, Christina! Let me show you where you'll be staying!"

Led down a short hallway, she was escorted into a room that took her breath away. Everywhere she looked said, 'this is a girl's bedroom', from the white and pink canopy bed to the wooden dollhouse in the corner. It was a little juvenile for an almost twelve-year-old, but to her it was all the things she'd ever wanted. Everywhere she looked she saw things she'd craved growing up. "Is... is all this for me?" she asked in wonder.

"Well, Grandma Robbins is a little too mature for it anymore, sweetie!" he laughed. "It's not too 'little girl' for you though, is it? We know you're almost a teenager."

Seeing her begin to explore the room, he stood back and happily relived his daughter's childhood in his mind. The hours spent playing tea party with her dolls, her smile when he would come home from work that rejuvenated his worn soul, and the extreme pride at seeing her excel in school. A tear escaped his eye, which he surreptitiously wiped away.

Learning where everything was, and how much her grandparents were intent on spoiling her, Christina was in shock. When she opened the closet, she saw enough clothes to provide a whole dorm full of girls with several outfits each. Turning to the dresser, she was about to open a drawer when it reminded her of Kathy. Stepping away, she returned to her guardian. "Thank you, Grandpa Robbins." she stated politely. "You really didn't have to get me so much."

Smiling down at her, he petted her head. "If we'd have had you around your whole life, we would have gotten you this much and more, just for birthdays and Christmases, sweetie!" he excused the extravagance. "Honestly, I think we got off easy!" he laughed.

Giggling at his joke, she hugged his waist. "Thank you just the same!" she nearly cried. After a moment, she stepped back. "May I have a moment alone, Grandpa Robbins? I... I want to change."

"Of course!" he grinned, grabbing the doorknob. "We'll be out in the living room!" At that he stepped out, pulling the door closed behind him.

Almost running to her bed, she practically skidded to her knees as she closed her eyes and clasped her hands together. God? It's Christina again! This is so amazing! Grandpa and Grandma Robbins are giving me everything I ever wanted! I have an actual girl's bedroom! With clothes and everything! I know you know all that, but I just wanted to say thank you! I know they're the ones that got it all, but you made me a girl, so I owe it to you first!

It was so hard for so long, I thought I'd never be able to take it! The only problem now is that I can't share my happiness with Mother and Daddy... or Kathy and the Grants. I miss them so much! I'd be happy to give up all this to be able to go home! If you can help with that, I'd really appreciate it! Of course if you can't, that's OK. I'll understand.

Oh! Before I forget, I was wondering if you can do something to help Dawn. She's all alone now! She needs your help way more than I do! So if you can only help one of us, help her instead. Please?

Anyway, I just needed to say thank you! You didn't have to make me a girl, and I know that for a while I wanted you to undo it, but I think you know what's best for me, and you wouldn't have done it if you didn't think it was a good idea. So... thank you. Thank you for making me a girl. Not just a month ago, but for making me always be a girl! I love you! Amen!

Getting up off her knees, the girl looked at the bags on her bed, then at the dresser and closet. Giggling happily, she ran to her new things and started to change.

Coming out of Christina's room, Walter made a beeline to his wife. Seeing her still sitting on the couch, he slowly approached her. "Love? What's the matter?"

Gathering her wits that had been completely shattered by the fantastic tale her granddaughter had told her with utter conviction, Virginia tried to re-assert her stoic attitude. "It... it's nothing, Walter. Just... just having her here, and knowing what's happened to her, and what could have happened if that horrid Ms. Boyd had her way is... unsettling."

"I know." he agreed as he sat next to her. Picking up her untouched tea, he offered it to her. "Here. Drink this and you'll feel a little more yourself."

Taking a sip, Virginia felt somewhat better. It was normal and predictable. "Walter? How strong is your faith? I mean, how strongly do you believe in the things we were taught as children about God?"

Taken aback at her question that seemed to come from out of nowhere, her husband had to think for a moment how to answer. "Well, I guess I'd have to say that I believe something lies beyond this world. I don't know what it is, or how closely it matches with what I was taught, but in the end it doesn't matter. We'll all find out sooner or later!" he finished with a smile.

"Walter?" she began as she put down her tea. "I want to tell you something."

Lyle knocked on the door, hesitating only a moment. Waiting impatiently, he rocked on his heals until the door opened.

David wasn't expecting anyone. When he opened the door and saw the FBI agent in charge of the case of his missing 'son', he was momentarily stunned. "Lyle! Um... come in! Please! Is there anything new?"

Entering quickly, his brow furrowed. "No. Nothing new." Stopping and standing in the living room, he looked around and saw they were alone. "Ruth still at work?"

With a quick nod, David gestured to the couch. "Please! Sit! Can I get you anything? A drink? Lemonade? Coffee? Scotch?"

Chuckling as he sat, Lyle shook his head. "No... no thanks, Dave."

"So what brings you by?" David asked sitting in a chair across from him.

"My gut." he answered cryptically. "See, it's rarely wrong." Telling the man about how his gut instinct had not only led to the arrest of Nancy Boyd, but five others involved in a child sex trafficking ring being run out of the foster home in Tucson where Christina had nearly been sent, he paused only to be interrupted.

"Oh my God!" David exclaimed. "That... that was where she was going to send Christina! She almost..."

"But she wasn't sent there, Dave!" Lyle reassured the man. "And the attempt to do so stopped a lot of kids from being hurt even more. It's a good thing, Dave! You helped save them and every kid that could have ended up there after her! So... thank you!"

Sighing heavily, he looked over at Lyle. "So... is that what you wanted?"

"No." he admitted as he stood and paced the living room. "See, I just can't shake the feeling that there's something about this case that you know that you haven't told me... haven't told anyone! My gut is screaming it at me, Dave! What is it? I don't think you're involved! Believe me! If you are, I might as well hang up my gun and badge now... less than eight years from retirement! I can't be an agent and be that bad a judge of character!"

Looking away, David tried to parse his answer carefully. "Look, Lyle. If I knew anything that could help get my child back home, don't you think I'd tell you?"

"See?" Lyle almost shouted. "That right there! You're being hyper-selective about what words you choose! 'my child'! Why don't you say 'my son'? It's more than that, though! You're not the only one doing things like that! Ruth does it, too! I had that letter from Christina analyzed by a writing expert? He pointed out the same thing in her word choices! Tell me the truth! Did you coach Christina on what to put in that letter?"

"No!" David truthfully denied. "Of course I didn't! She wrote that all on her own! We told you that!"

"I know!" he stormed around the room frustratedly. "She did it in interviews, too! It was always, 'the people that raised me' or 'the place I grew up'! It's like she's always dancing around something! You all are! What is it, Dave? What aren't you telling me? What are you all hiding?" Looking at him, Lyle shook his head. "Please tell me you didn't sell your daughter, Dave!"

Incensed, David stood and confronted the agent. "Of course I didn't! I would never do something like that, Agent Stewart! Is this an official interrogation? Do I need a lawyer?"

"No!" Lyle turned away. "I... I'm not even on duty right now! My supervisor won't let me put any more time on it unless we get a fresh lead!"

"So what's this all about, then?"

Turning back around, Lyle looked David in the eye. "It's about my gut telling me that you know something and I can't let it go until you tell me, Dave! Come on, man! Trust me! What is it? Is it thinking Christina was dead all these years, only to learn she wasn't? Did you suspect Dr. Young of stealing her, but because he died you didn't press the issue? What?"

Blowing out a breath slowly to calm down, David shook his head and looked away. "It's nuts, Lyle. You'd never believe it! You'd think we're all nuts, and you might not be wrong! I think it's nuts and I'm a part of it!" Turning back to the agent, he smiled. "Wanna beer? Trust me, when I tell you this, you're gonna need it!"

Lyle thought a moment before nodding. "OK. Sure." Watching the man get two beers out of the fridge, he took the offered bottle and took a drink as he sat back down. "OK, so what's so totally nuts that you won't even tell me?"

Sitting back down, David took a drink. "You a faithful man, Lyle? I mean, do you believe in God?"

The agent raised a brow, not having expected that question. "Well, I was raised Catholic. I don't get to church much anymore, though. Why?"

"Catholic!" David smiled in surprise. "That may actually help! You already believe in miracles."

Shifting uncomfortably, Lyle shook his head. "I wouldn't go that far, Dave. I mean, I'm a rational man! Everything has a cause! Maybe we don't know what it is, but it's there somewhere!"

"OK, so what besides a miracle could make my son turn into my daughter?"

up
111 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

a near thing

Christina has avoided the horrible fate that would have awaited her in Tucson. good!

DogSig.png

Fate

RobertaME's picture

Was it fate or is something else going on here? ;^)

Nancy very nearly got away with keeping Christina in the system and shipped off to her 'business partners' in Tucson, were it not for Agent Stewart and his "gut" that made him look into her activities. If he'd just done his job, moved on to other cases as his supervisor was demanding, it all would have fallen apart.

In the original draft of this story I was a bit more graphic of what was going on in Tucson. I toned it down in the final version as it wasn't helpful to the story and just left a sour feeling in my stomach. Deleting it felt good. (would that it could be so easy in real life...)

::huggles::
Roberta

Well, it was obvious that there was more…….

D. Eden's picture

Behind Nancy Boyd’s actions than met the eye, but I didn’t expect sex trafficking. I simply though she was an overzealous, pompous and uncaring bitch. I guess only pompous and uncaring fit though, huh? Although we could add criminal scumbag to the description. I am always revolted when I hear of someone in authority abusing it for their personal gain - but especially when it is at the suffering of others.

I am not surprised by her grandmother’s reaction to her, but the backstory as to why Walt hadn’t seen them in years was unexpected as well. I’m still bothered by the way DCS are insisting that her real parents not be allowed access to her; they operate on the idea that you are guilty until proven innocent.

This one didn’t have me crying, which is a first - but rather left me angry.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

More than meets the eye

RobertaME's picture

Nancy's 'business partners' are her sick way of punishing the parents. It's not enough to take their children away, she wants the parents to suffer knowing what happened to their children after they were taken away. It's the same mentality that says we should turn our backs on prison rape and just let it happen because that just amps up the punishment factor for criminals. That she can turn a profit by doing it is just sauce for the goose to her.

Custody cases are all civil matters. Innocent until proven guilty is only present in criminal cases. Custody is based on the preponderance of the evidence, not proving guilt "beyond reasonable doubt". As such, many CPS/DCS agencies demand proof that a parent hasn't been abusing or neglecting their children. Proving a negative is very nearly impossible. They also like to keep the children separate from the parents with no contact so the kids start to feel abandoned, allowing the agency to claim that "the bonds have been broken" (one of their favorite phrases) and excuse making the child a ward of the state until the age of majority... and collect all those federal funds for another warm body.

As you can see... I'm all too familiar with the process... for... reasons. (maybe later)

Hugs,
Roberta

And….breathe.

Robertlouis's picture

Now that the monstrous Nancy Boyd has been removed from the scene - one hopes - things seem to be heading towards the denouement, although I dare say you’ll surprise us once or twice before we get there.

You’ve managed to capture this cynical old atheist entirely with this story. It must be my soft heart.

☠️

Our Author Redeemed Herself

BarbieLee's picture

A bit of twist I didn't see coming. Evil is a real cesspool of lies, hate, and can do no wrong. Even worse when it gets laws, and corrupted authority behind it. Nancy sees every parent(s) behind every child placed in her care as evil. Even worse the girls she gets custody of are sold into child porno rings. In her own demented mind she is saving them from the parents? How twisted can evil get justifying itself. I hope many understand the reality behind this story and there is no rules, no limits to evil Sadly this story has a lot of truth behind it. Many years back I thought about referring two parents to Child Protection Services but never did. The girl wasn't physically abused but verbally and I had read and heard some real horror stories about Oklahoma's Services.

If one has been invited and allowed to return, most don't, can't believe the story and it's a brain fart of the person who makes the claim they did so. Where's the proof? Miracles are the same except proof is left behind unless it was for one or two a miracle occurred. Do it again, and when it doesn't happen, it's nothing more than science and physics that hasn't been explained yet.

And yet it amazes me why so many try and deny Him, They, It doesn't exist? If nothing exists then why not let the ones who believe live in their own little fantasy world? Why is He and the symbolism of what represents Him so offensive? And yet worshiping Satan and false gods is to be embraced as enlightenment, open minded?

Almost everyday of my life I have begged, pleaded with God to take me home. When I was sixteen I was offered the opportunity I had asked for and I turned it down. The only explanation I can think of is I loved my parents and this life more than I thought. I don't understand why He let me stay. I'm not that good of a daughter.

Roberta, your story is thought provoking in so many ways and I'm loving it.
Barb
When we understand everything we realize we know nothing. Faith is believing when there is no proof except in your mind, your heart, your soul.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Nancy's justifications

RobertaME's picture

In her mind, selling the kids to porno rings just amps-up the punishment of the parents for being "abusive and neglecting". They'll find out what happened eventually and it'll torture them.

People can justify any evil.

I'm at the point that I would have a hard time turning anyone in to CPS. Most are hopelessly corrupt. Too much money involved. Turning someone into CPS now-a-days is like playing Russian Roulette... maybe it's better for the child... but there's a chance they might end up far worse off. I can't take that kind of responsibility.

Faith is funny. It requires denying the scientific method... which is something I believe in wholeheartedly. Yet by the scientific method, there is no empirical evidence that I'm a woman... and in fact quite a lot of evidence to the contrary... so I should just be a man, right? Being TG is a matter of faith. It's believing in something none of us can prove in any way, in spite of all the evidence and logic telling us we're wrong.

"Logic and knowledge are not enough." - Spock, Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Hugs,
Roberta

Progress

Teek's picture

Okay, a lot happened in this story. Planting drugs during a home inspection. I didn't see that one coming. Child sex ring, I didn't see that either.

The grandparents that have had no contact with family for six years moving and taking custody? That one has me puzzled. I will have to think about that one and probably reread the story to see what I missed. Then that Grandma being the only one to make the connection that Walt and Christina are the same person . . . As a reader who desperately wanted Christina to get a break, will accept this. I just better not think too much about this one or I might question it.

Now the ending of this chapter. I am torn on this one. Is it in character for the agent to do that? From what you have established, it is totally in character for him to have his gut knowing something is off and not right. In character for him to desperately want to know the truth.

An author that can hook a reader to want more, to log in several times a day looking for the next chapter, and totally analyze ever piece of the chapter is an outstanding author. Never forget that.

I am looking forward to the next chapter. Oh, by the way, courts may be preventing parent's visits, but they would not be restricting best friends.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

The Robbins

RobertaME's picture

From Chapter 10:
Looking at him in surprise, Charlene was speechless for a moment. "W... why weren't they brought up for placement before now?"

"By the time we could reach them to tell them they had a granddaughter, Christina was already in the Hollander home. Since everything seemed OK there at first, we didn't ask them to come from Boston. With recent events, they agreed to come here to care for Christina. They just rented a house."

The Robbins, Walter and Virginia, live in Boston. As someone with family that lives on the other side of the country, I can attest to the fact that it can be years between visits for many people in that position. Not saying that's the case here, but it's not at all unusual. I have family I haven't seen in almost 15 years... and some even longer. (one cousin of mine I haven't seen in 31 years... and this despite the fact that she lives less than 500 miles from here)

It happens, but extraordinary circumstances can make family reach out once more, in spite of miles and years of distance.

Virginia Robbins is highly intelligent and observant. In spite of the fact that Christina is in a new body, the mind controlling that body is still the same. People give away their identity in a myriad of different ways... the way we walk, talk, move, the look in our eyes, etc. Add to that the fact that Ruth supposedly had a stillborn daughter along with the birth of Walt... and yet never told her... a fact that Virginia considers neigh unto impossible... and the fact that Christina acts exactly the same way Walt used to... and you can make the logical leap.

Some people can actually live by the axiom, "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." – Sherlock Holmes

As for Agent Stewart. over the last month he's gotten to know the Cocorans, David especially. He sees the way David interacts with Christina and knows he's a good man... and yet his "gut" keeps telling him that David, Ruth, and Christina are holding out on him. For a man like Lyle Stewart, that little mystery cannot go unsolved. He needs resolution to that conundrum and won't let go until he gets it. Some people are like that.

DCS won't let Christina have contact with her parents to "prevent undue influence". While that wouldn't extend to friends and acquaintances, Christina officially doesn't have anyone she knows in Phoenix. Kathy was never Christina's friend... she was Walt's friend. How could she justify wanting to see someone she's supposedly never met... the best friend of her 'missing twin brother'? If you were referring to Dawn, DCS and similar agencies frown on former foster families having continued contact after re-placement. Many have regulations forbidding it, on threat of losing foster family status and the potential for future placements.

Two chapters left! Hang on!

Hugs,
Roberta

The bulldog latched on

Jamie Lee's picture

There comes a time in every criminals life when they try to pull a fast one only to meet up with a sharp law enforcement person.

Nancy's eager anger got the best of her in trying to plant the bag of cocaine to discredit the Robbins. And the eyes in the back of her head stopped working. She sent it around, or tried to, and it came around with a vengeance. The bulldog grabbed the bone and wouldn't let go. Now she'll lose her job, have a police record for possession and may even spend time in jail. And because what was found in Tucson, the entire DCS department may come under scrutiny.

And because of what they discovered in Tucson a question must be asked. Would the discovery have been made if Walt hadn't been given the choice by Lisbeth to become a girl?

Walt believed to be missing wouldn't have brought in Lyle and Richard. Nancy wouldn't have tried in earnest to get Christine to Tucson. The Robbins wouldn't be in Phoenix and Nancy wouldn't have gotten caught trying to plant the cocaine. Of course the child sex ring wouldn't have been discovered because none of the events that happened would have happened.

So, Christine's path was a rocky one, but along the way she encouraged hope to one and caused another to start a series of events in motion that eventually led to her arrest and that of several others. And rescued who knows how many kids from sex slavery.

Was that the plan God had for Christine but only if Walt asked for his deepest desire? Would another way have been found to expose such a horrid thing?

Others have feelings too.