Jason's Story - Part 11

Printer-friendly version

Jason's Story

by Kristine Roland

Chapters 34 - 35. The continuing story of Jason, a young boy that is coming to terms with his transgender nature, and his mostly supportive family.

Jason soon succumbed to peer pressure and went up and changed into his black dress. When he came back down, Kathy and Sue just stared dumbfounded, and Julie laughed at them.

Authors Note: Thanks to Joni W for editing this section for me!

Chapter 34

The friends were taking a break from skating and sharing some fries at the snack bar.

"So Jason, I hear you did fairly well in your game today." John said.

"Yeah, much better then Tuesday. On Tuesday I struck out four times, because I was flinching with every pitch. I just couldn’t help it. My dad really worked with me the other night, and today I was able to stay in there, and got a couple of hits."

"I hear Brad is out of the league." Sue said.

"Yes, his father went nuts about it. They had to have the police come and have him escorted out of the hearing at the league board office." Jason told them.

"I guess that explains where Brad gets it from." Kathy said.

"I would say so." Jason replied.

Taking advantage of a lull in the conversation, Julie asked, "So Kathy, Sue do you know what you are going to wear to the eighth grade graduation dance next week?"

"Yes, Mom and I picked up a new dress." Sue answered.

"Mom and I are going to go shopping tomorrow." Kathy answered, and then asked, "How about you?"

"I have that dress I wore to my cousin's wedding in May. Mom says that will have to do." Julie said.

"Oh, I remember that dress, you look great in it." Sue said.

"I know, I do love it, but I would have loved to have gotten a new one." Julie answered.

"I'm really looking forward to it, especially with the dancing lessons you have been giving us all." Sue said.

"Yeah, I'm actually looking forward to it too." Steve said; John and Jason both agreed.

"It's hard to believe that school is almost over for the year. We have just a couple more weeks to go. Next year we will be in high school." Kathy said.

"Yeah, back to the bottom rung of the school again. It was kind of nice being the top dogs this year." John said.

"It was at that. So what are you all doing for the summer?" Sue asked.

"Well, we’re heading up to our lake house for a couple of weeks, right after school gets out. Julie is going to be coming with us this year." Jason said.

Steve said, "Oh Julie, you should enjoy that. I know I did last year. Lots to do up there, boating, fishing, swimming."

"Yeah, it's lots of fun. I got to go a couple of years ago." John added.

"I think it sounds great, but I hope you guys don't resent Jason asking me to go this year instead of one of you." Julie said.

"Oh, don't worry about that Julie. We have both had our turn. Besides, I can hardly blame Jason for wanting to spend time with you. If I had a place like that I'd have asked Kathy. Anyway, my parents are taking us to Disneyworld, so I couldn't have gone with Jason this year anyway." Steve said.

"I wouldn't mind going to Disneyworld with you," Kathy teased.

Steve replied, "If Mom and Dad would let me, I'd have asked you. But we won't have a spare bedroom, and somehow I don't think they’re going to let us share a bed."

"No, I suppose not." Kathy said.

Jason asked, "How about you Sue, what are you doing?"

"I have to go spend two weeks with my Dad, and I'm sure I’ll have to put up with his girlfriend. Argh. But I'm sure we’ll do some fun stuff, like six flags. Mom and I will probably spend some time at the beach; she usually rents a place for a week." Sue answered.

John said, "That's what we do too. I wonder if we could get them to arrange it for the same week. That would be really cool."

"Maybe, Mom hasn't set it up yet, so why don't you find out what your parents are doing and let me know." Sue said.

Jason said, "I don't know about you, but I'm ready to get back out on the rink. Julie?"

"Sure, let's go."

With that they cleaned up their table and headed back out to skate.

Later that evening, Jason took Julie aside, "John is going to a ball game with his family tomorrow, and Steve has a big birthday bash for his Grandfather's sixty-fifth birthday, do you think we should invite Kathy and Sue to hang out with you and Kelly tomorrow?"

"I think they would like that, and it would be a good time, since the guys are busy elsewhere. You sure Kathy isn't going with Steve?"

"Yeah, I asked him, and he said it's at some fancy expensive restaurant, and he was told that they really could not afford to invite her."

"Ahh. It's your call. They know about Kelly and they really would like to meet her. Of course, Kathy is going to want to meet Michele. She was already jealous of my new look."

"Well, that is not going to happen tomorrow, but I will see what I can do. By the way, what did you tell your Mom about that?"

"Oh that a friend of your Aunt's is a makeup specialist, and that she was having some fun with your mother, and did a free makeover for me, while she was at it. I told her that you were bored to tears, although you had to admit I looked pretty nice after she was done. I also told her that she made up a gift for me, because she had so much fun. Mom was kind of jealous. She said, next time, call her and she’ll pop right over."

"Oh that would be good. Then I'd have to be the jealous one, since I would have to sit and pretend to be bored."

"Poor Jason…" Julie laughed. Then she said, "I'll ask Kathy and Sue about tomorrow."

"Sounds good."

Chapter 35

The next day, Julie was over at Jason's house early. Julie wanted to make sure that Jason looked his best for when Kathy and Sue first met Kelly. They added the extensions into Jason's hair, and then set it as close as they could to the way that Michele had done it.

When they were done, Julie said, "Damn Kelly, I cannot believe how much different that makes you look. Kathy and Sue are not going to believe that it’s really you."

About noon, Kathy's mom dropped Kathy and Sue off at the Anderson's, on her way to work. She watched from the car to see Jason's mom open the door, wave hello, and let the girls in, before pulling out of the driveway.

Once inside they met up with Julie who told them to wait in the family room. A few moments later, Julie came into the family room with Jason. Julie said, "Kelly, let me introduce you to my friends, Kathy and Sue."

"Is that really Jason?" Kathy said.

"No, it is really Kelly." Julie said.

"Oh… I'm sorry, Kelly, that is going to take a little getting used to, but wow, you look good."

Sue nodded in agreement, and said, "You don't have to worry about us telling Steve or John, if they saw you dressed like that, we could lose them."

Jason blushed, but said, "Sue, that is very sweet of you, but I know that I don't look half as good as the three of you. But even if it were true, which it is not, you would have nothing to worry about, because I'm already taken, by Julie."

They popped some CD's in so that they could sit around and talk.

"Kelly, Sue and I are here and we intend to treat you just like any other girl. But we are going to need at least one promise from you first."

"I guess that depends on what you are asking me to promise." Jason said.

"If we are going to treat you like a girl, that means you are going to hear us talk about things that we would only share with other girls, and that means that anything you hear as Kelly, you need to keep to yourself when you are with the boys as Jason. We will also expect that things you hear as Jason, that are meant to be between the boys, you won't share as Kelly." Kathy said.

"I have no problem with that, with the exception of, if I heard about someone doing something to intentionally hurt someone." Jason said.

"I think that is fair." Sue said, "I would want you to try to stop something like that."

Kathy nodded her acceptance then said, "Do you mind if we ask you some questions. We are really curious, but it's ok if you don't want to talk about it."

"I don't mind. If I'm not comfortable answering, I'll let you know." Jason answered.

"Do you want to be a girl, or do you just like dressing like one?" Sue asked.

"I'm not sure. The time that I get to spend as Kelly is really wonderful. When I get dressed, I can feel myself relax and just get comfortable with myself. When I'm Jason, I feel more … tense and like I have to watch what I do and what I say, so that people don't see Kelly in me. I think a lot about how wonderful it would be to actually be a girl. At the same time, I know that I can never really be biologically a girl on the insides. There are surgeries and medicines I could take to help me look and feel more like a girl, and I do think about them, but they scare me. The thought of cutting off my, well you know, is kind of scary, though there are times when I would do it in a minute, if I could. Then again, someday I want to be a parent and I need that part of me for that to happen. Plus, if Julie and I somehow manage to stay together, till we are old enough, she might have something to say about that as well."

"Kelly that will be your call, if we are still together, we will work it out. I guess I wasn't able to hide how I felt from Kathy and Sue, there is no doubt that I like the way girls look. But I always thought that a girls, well you know down there, is gross. But if we are still together at that time and you need to have that surgery to make you look like a girl down there, I think I can get past that."

"Ok, but why do you think you feel this way?" Kathy asked.

"I wish I could answer that. I just do. Dr. Daniels tells me there are lots of theories. Some suggest that it's all controlled by the way the brain is wired. Apparently, studies suggest that transgendered men have brains that look more like women's brains. I don't know; I just know it feels right."

Sue looked thoughtful, "Even with surgery though, like you said, you can never be fully female. You can't get pregnant; you don't have to deal with a period."

Julie jumped in, "Sue! ..."

Sue looked at Julie and said, "Julie, wait. Look those things are so much a part of being female. Kelly I don't mean to sound condescending, because I want to be supportive, but what do you think about that. I want to understand."

"Julie, it's ok. I told them I would answer their questions, and it is a fair question."

"No, Kelly it isn't. Are women that have gone through menopause still women? They can't get pregnant, and they don't have periods. Sue would not say they were not fully women." Julie said indignantly.

"Of course not, but they spent most of their lives dealing with it. It's not the same." Sue answered.

"Sue, there are also women that for various reasons cannot have children and there are some medical problems that can cause a women to never have a period. You still would not question it." Julie said.

"Julie, I don't know. I really don't. There is more to being a woman than periods and worrying about being a baby time bomb, but I don't know. I just want to know what Kelly thinks about it. I am not trying to attack her." Sue stated.

"Sue. I don't have an answer for you. I am jealous of you all because someday you can have children. I know what a period is, from health class, but I have no real understanding of what it means to you as women to have to deal with it every month. I know enough to know that it is unpleasant. But let me ask you a question, if you could take a magic pill, and wake up male tomorrow and never have to deal with another period, would you?"

"No. Periods are a nuisance, but I like being female. I don't want to be a guy." Sue said.

"Whereas, I'm sure that if I could take that pill to make me fully female, I would do it in a minute; I would deal with the nuisance too."

Sue nodded, saying, "I see. Alright Kelly I understand." Sue got up, went over to Jason and gave him a hug. "Kelly, you are as much a girl as I am."

Kathy picked up the discussion, "Kelly that's interesting; you said you were not sure about surgery, but you wouldn't hesitate to take a pill?"

"No. The hypothetical pill would make me completely female, without any of the negatives from surgical solutions."

"What if you found that you really preferred being male afterwards?" Kathy said.

"It would still be worth it to finally know. Part of my problem is that I have this incredible desire to know what it feels like to be female. What is it like to have real breasts, and to have a pus ... I mean vagina instead of a penis down there. You know you girls actually have an advantage; you know what it was like to not have breasts. For me it's like this incredible itch that I can never scratch. Hell yes, if I had the opportunity to really know, I would jump at it. Sorry Julie, you might as well know that now. God knows what they will come up with in our lifetime."

"It's ok Kelly. Hell, maybe I'd take the male pill if you take the female pill. I like being female, but if you got any prettier…"

"Ok, ok… ladies, enough…" Kathy laughed.

"So Kelly, when are we going to get to meet this wonderful makeup specialist? I love makeup, and you and Julie had makeovers without me!"

"I don't know Kathy, but I will ask my Aunt if we can have another session sometime with Michele."

Julie said, "Well if we are done grilling Kelly, how did you do today, did you find your dress for the dance?"

"Yes, it's great. Mom wouldn't let me bring it in to show you, but it's perfect."

"You should see the little black dress Kelly has; I wish she could wear it to the dance. She looks so hot in it." Julie said.

"I wish! I'll be stuck with a boring dress shirt, slacks and a blasted tie." Jason said.

"I'd rather wear a tie then pantyhose." Kathy said.

"I'd put up with pantyhose to wear the dress." Jason replied.

"Well, you have to show us this dress then." Sue said, and Kathy immediately chimed in with her agreement.

Jason soon succumbed to peer pressure and went up and changed into his black dress. When he came back down, Kathy and Sue just stared dumbfounded, and Julie laughed at them.

"See I told you, it really is a shame she can't go to the dance that way. I would love to have her on my arm, wouldn't that cause an uproar?"

"Oh yes, it certainly would." Kathy answered.

"Kelly, if anyone ever questions your being a girl, they could not have seen you like that." Sue said.

"Thanks. Now, I'm feeling remarkably overdressed, so if you don't mind, I'm going to go get changed back."

"Go ahead Kelly." Julie told him.

When he was gone, Julie said, "You two ok? I'm sorry that I couldn't tell you before, especially about me. I hated keeping it a secret, but I really care about Jason, and I don't want him hurt."

"Jules, we meant it. We are happy you have found someone to make you happy. We liked Jason right from the start, but now that we have seen him as Kelly, I can see how much she is a part of him. If he tried to suppress her, it would kill him. We’re going to do whatever we can to help."

"Thanks Kathy; thanks Sue." Julie said, giving them both hugs.

Jason walked back in and said, "Hey, where is mine!"

Julie went over and gave him a big hug too.

They spent the rest of the day listening to music, talking and just hanging out. They got on the Anderson's computer and had Jason create a screen name for Kelly, so that she could join in their online chats, since time for the four of them to spend together, with Jason as Kelly, would be limited; it would seem a little strange for them to be over at Jason's house without John and Steve, on a regular basis.

In Jason's dreams that night, he was at the dance with Julie, in his black dress, walking on clouds.

up
132 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice Dialog ...

... about a tough question for those who want to transition. The issue of "Would you want to menstruate and have babies and all?" is usually one of the first questions everyone else will ask. Well done.

marie c.

marie c.

This story is getting greater -

Kristine: This chapter is great keep up the great writing! Makes me wish I was young again and probally had a different life today. Richard

Richard

Hi!

This is a great story and this chapter is my favourite chapter so far. I love it because it made me feel happy. Because of depression I usually don't. :)

And taking up the question about periods and pregnancy was a very good thing. I can't count how many times I've gotten that question.

Change your doctor, maybe

Dr. Daniels tells me there are lots of theories. Some suggest that it's all controlled by the way the brain is wired. Apparently, studies suggest that transgendered men have brains that look more like women's brains.

We have known for some years now that Gender Identity Disorder/Gender Dysphoria/Transexuality is caused by gender related organs in the brain being set in the womb to the opposite to the physical appearance of the individual. This is no longer just a theory. A reputable gender therapist should know this! This is so certain that the UK government's Guidelines for Treatment include the statement: "Gender Dysphoria et al is not a mental condition." Now we don't know for sure yet whether Jason/Kelly is transexual or transvestite, this is yet to be determined. For the moment he is transgendered. Great story, so far, keep it up,
Love and cuddles,
Janice Elizabeth

Thanks for all of the comments!

KristineRead's picture

It's great to hear the feedback!

Janice Elizabeth, a couple of points on Dr. Daniels. First, we did not hear what Dr. Daniels has said on this subject, we heard Jason's interpretation of it. From what we have seen, Dr. Daniels is certainly not treating Jason as though he has a mental condition. He is trying to help Jason determine where he falls in the transgender spectrum, and is working on his self esteem, and his families acceptance, and to figure out where he should go from here.

I admit I have not kept up with all the current science on the subject, so I can't argue on the state of current practice. One of the reasons this story exists though is that when I was Jason's age the prevailing guidelines for treatment were to treat it as a curable mental deficiencey, and I wanted to explore how this could be different then what I experienced because of the changes in the prescribed treatment from cure to acceptance.

Johanna, I'm sorry to hear that you have trouble with depression. I have been very fortunate to not have it personally, but my wife has had chronic problems with it her whole life, so I know how difficult it can be to manage. I am glad that I could invoke a feeling of happiness for you! Thanks for sharing that, as it made my night!

The discussion about pregnancy and periods was a section that I struggled with how to write. I knew that with him getting close to three girls, someone had to voice that question, and at fourteen, Jason is going to only have a very touchy grasp as to what it really means, yet the three girls will have been living it for some time. I wanted Sue or Kathy to voice the question, and not really have it be an attack, but just wanting to understand Jason's thinking, and to wonder why anyone would want to have those things. Jason's question back to Sue put it in a perspective she could understand, and she really did get it.

Thanks to both Johanna and Marie C. for letting me know I got it right.

Richard - Thank you also for the comments, I wish I could grant that wish for you myself. (Shameless plug) Check out my story Two Roads about an elder Crossdresser looking back at his life. I think you might appreciate it.

Anyway thanks everyone, as always I love getting feedback. I am going to be out of town on business the rest of the week, and unfortunatley cannot access BCTS or my master document from my work machine. So I won't be able to work on Part 12 until at least this weekend. Sorry. I will tell you that the next part will be the dance, and then Julie and Kelly at the summer house. Maybe I will get some time to work with paper and pencil on it in the hotel room.

Hugs all,

Kristy

could you show me the papers proving this statement?

Hi Janice,

could you show me the papers proving this statement please?

As far as I know the answer to that question is still open. There is a lot to suggest that gender identity is fixed at birth. Some go as far as to say its set at around the 12th week. I have seen and read articles on how gender differentiation in the brain most likely happens and those mechanisms suggest ways how they can work not quite like they should and so produce TS, TV and other TG. (see Aromatization Hypothesis) However there is still no hard evidence that this really is the cause of transsexualism.
They found things that point to a genetic component but most doctors and researches also agree that this is probably more a predisposition and that there is a social component as well. We still know VERY LITTLE of how the human brain works. How the sex hormones influence thinking is even less known.
The last time I looked into it a bit closer 2 years ago for a UNI seminar in Biological Psychology there were some papers about how estrogens may influence certain kinds of learning. High levels of estrogens like in pregnant females seem to reduce spacial learning but increase other kinds of learning. The only study I found on testosterone was just getting under way. It also was all still based on rats so its not even clear how much this would apply to humans as well.

This exert from here: Gender And Sex Hormones Affect The Brain's Pain Response And More, According To New Studies outlines some of the problems:

The study of hormone-related differences between male and female brains is not as simple as it may seem at first. Straightforward comparisons of males and females are not possible because of the cyclical nature of reproductive hormone production in females, Becker points out. The menstrual cycle in humans and other primates and the estrous cycle in rats and mice involve constantly changing levels of reproductive hormones in the blood and in the brain. Furthermore, although brain development begins before birth, it continues well into young adulthood, and there is increasing evidence that parts of the brain continue to grow, die back, and change throughout the life span.

“Reproductive hormones have effects on all of these stages of brain growth and development,” says Becker. “For these and other reasons, the study of sex differences in the brain is both complicated and fascinating.”

As far as I know THEORY is still absolutely correct even though there is now more evidence to show it is likely correct or at least mostly so.
You may want to read chapter 12 in the book Biological Psychology Fifth Edition by S. Marc Breedlove, Mark R. Rosenzweig, and Neil V. Watson
Kinda like Relativity and Quantum mechanics. They seem to fit the observations very well but no one can say if they are absolutely correct. The fact that the two do not go well together alone is a hint that they may be partly wrong.

I do not know what your expertise is in the workings of the brain. I took courses in "Emotion and Cognition", "Language Psychology" and "Biological Psychology" (inter disciplinary how the brain works).
The more I learned about what science and medicine believes to know about the brain the more I realized we know nearly nothing about it.
We have a quite good understanding of some small localized processes like how learning through LTP (Long-Term Potentiation) seems to work. But we have nearly no understanding of the greater picture. There its mostly very basic understanding. There also seems to be a back propagation in the opposite direction of the synapse information flow direction. So far more than 20 substances from hormones, to gases and electromagnetic fields have been proposed. Artificial neuronal networks suggest this backwards way should be there since such networks can do a lot more than ones without and some properties of the bran can not be modeled without this. All in all its frightening how little we know about the brain and how doctors still operate on it and try to influence it.

We are making big progress there and being able to test theories on artificial neuronal network with more and more power full computers helps a lot but we are not there yet.

Maybe you should read Erin's signature more carefully: "Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact."

There is so much truth in it. :)

I'm sorry for sounding so aggressive here but I really hate when people claim to know thinks for a fact just because it suits their needs.

I explained else where that TS can be seen as a mental disorder and correctly so if you consider that the blue print of the body (the genes) say for example male. Some thing (hormonal imbalance during a certain time of the unborn child's live) had an influence and possible had part of the brain or all of it not become as masculine as it should have. This in return lead to a psychological disorder. This outside-in view we apply to machines and other illnesses is a correct way of looking at it.
But since we as humans have awareness from within we see the body as wrong in comparison to how we feel. This inside-out view is just as correct form this view point. Anyone who is dismissing either view as wrong usually has a certain agenda why he or she does it. This how ever does not make either of the two more or less true.
However I do agree that in the treatment of TG and especially TS the inside-out view should be considered more important since thats what the patient feels like. Still for determining if a person is TS or not a doctor can't know what causes that inside-out view. There are other reasons than TS so naturally doctors and judges stick to the outside-in view we apply to any other machine. Humans are just very complex biological machines after all.

I think we should be tolerant enough to accept that both views are right to a certain degree but still stress that for us personally the inside-out view is the more important one and that people should treat us accordingly.

I hope I did not upset to may people to badly with my views and I hope that I could make people who thought they know it all at least consider if their view is 100% correct. Personally I find we (me included) hardly ever get it 100% right and thats why i like Erin's signature so very much.

thanks Erin

hugs you all

Holly

P.S: in case you wonder I'm m2f post-OP since Feb 2008

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

Jason/Kelly And Girl Talk

Well, the talk was quite real. I can see such a talk happening.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine