Soul Mates

Printer-friendly version
Soul Mates
by Kristine Roland

Edited and proofread by Angela Rasch



The woman, dressed in black as she had been for the last four months, closed the door and turned back into the living room. She let out a deep sigh, and then crossed over to the mantle and picked up one of the pictures. She was everything. Words like wife, spouse, lover . . . only faintly described the roles, but not the person. They were soul mates.

The picture she had chosen was all the more valuable as it was of her, the children and him, looking at the beauty of the Grand Canyon . . . one of the many memories of the adventures the family had when the children still lived at home.

A light touch to her shoulder -- she looked up, smiled a wistful smile. "Oh, Harry. I love you."

***
The family was gathered for Thanksgiving dinner and she was surrounded by all of the grandchildren, laughing with them as they played hide and seek.

A daughter-in-law called out. "Come on in, dinner is on the table."

The dining room table was adorned with the good china, the "company" silver, and crystal glasses for each. The room was permeated with the tantalizing smells of the delightful dishes awaiting them.

When everyone had taken their seats, she asked their oldest son to propose a toast.

He raised a glass and said, "Happy Thanksgiving. Let us be thankful for this time we can spend together, and drink to those that we wish could be here with us still."

Feelings of love shared overpowered even the aromas of the meal, as she turned toward her soul mate's place at the head of the table. She raised her glass. "Happy Thanksgiving, Harry; Happy Thanksgiving to all my loves."

***
She sat in the first oak pew on the left in the rustic old church, which had been lovingly cared for. The minister waited with the groom, the ushers, and the bridesmaids, as their oldest granddaughter walked down the aisle.

A son solemnly matched his daughter in hesitation step, to the strains of "The Bridal Chorus."

The proud grandmother dabbed the happy tears with her handkerchief. "Harry, isn't she beautiful?"

***
She rested peacefully in the hospital bed, drifting in and out of consciousness, knowing what was coming.

A son was holding on to her wrinkled hand.

"Harry, my darling Harry, I love you."

"I love you, too, my dear."

All too soon, the son gasped. "Oh Mom!"

He cried as he placed her lifeless hand on her chest.

The doctors and nurses came in and the minister took the son's hand and led him out of the room.

A moment later, a shimmering light surrounded her body.

Waiting with joy as both lights, the soul mates were rejoined, and they became one. The merged energies shimmered in delight to be whole once again.

The combined light found its way to their son; he was with the rest of the family. The soul mates stopped and touched each of their family in comfort.

Their light dimmed briefly. "Goodbye loves. . . ." They mentally called.

Then, brightening, the light drifted towards the ceiling, out through the roof and up to the stars. Soon the light was lost as it danced with the heavens.

***
A time later, an eternity, days, or hours depending on point of view, the light came back toward the earth. Dividing into two parts, it thought, "Ready to play again?"

"Yes, my love, but this time I want to be female."

"Ahh. . . ."

"You were the last two times my dear; it's my turn!"

"I'll pout. . . . Oh, okay. . . . Don't play too hard to get this time!"

The lights went back toward the earth… and in different parts of the United States, two babies were born. Soul mates, on a new quest.


Authors Note:
Many thanks to Angela Rasch for her great advice, as well as to my other pre-readers, Jennifer Brock, Mutabilis and Drea who helped me make sure I was not giving too much away along the way!

Kristy

Copyright (c) 2011. All Rights Reserved.

up
157 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Don't play too hard to get!

Andrea Lena's picture

I was delighted to see you post this today. Very clever and creative, and very sweet. Amor vincit omnia at its most endearing, and just as sweet as can be. Thank you very much for writing this; I loved it as I do all your work, and I do so appreciate you as well!



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

AND LIFE GOES ON

And the circle of life starts all over again GREAT story and a tear at the end Imagine that he wanted to be the girl this go round LOL HUGS RICHIE2

Well wouldn't you?

KristineRead's picture

I know that I would. I have often said that I'll put up with it for this lifetime, but if they try to send me back next lifetime, I'll decline, saying Been there, done that.

I'm glad you liked it.

Hugs,

Kristy

Soul Mates

Beautiful and sweet.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Thanks Stan

KristineRead's picture

Glad you liked it.

Kristy

The circle of life

Life is a great play. :) Touching, and so sweet while playful at the end. Very well done!

Hugs!
Grover

Nothing given away - G-d's job as Matchmaker

RAMI

Nothing given away at all. Did not anticipate the ending what-so-ever.

The Jewish concept of the impotance of soul-mates follows in this commonly quoted Midrash (ethical story).

A person's marriage partner originates from no one else but G‑d," and cites sources in all three section of Tanach. "Sometimes a man goes to his designated mate (as it was with Jacob); sometimes his designated mate comes to him (as it was with Isaac)."

The Midrash then continues:

Rabbi Yehudah bar Simon opened "G‑d sets the solitary into a family.

A Roman matron asked Rabbi Yosei bar Chalafta: "In how many days did G‑d create His world?"

"In six days," he replied.

"And what has He been doing ever since?" she asked.

"G‑d sits and matches couples," Rabbi Yosei told her.

"Is this G‑d's occupation?" she asked derisively, "I could do that too! I possess a great number of men servants and maid servants and would be able to pair all of them off in one hour!"

"You may think it is easy, but for G‑d, it is as difficult as parting the Red Sea," he said.

"When you explained to me that G‑d is busy making matches, you spoke wisely..."After Rabbi Yosei left, the matron formed rows of her men servants and maid servants, a thousand in each row, and said to them, "This man shall marry this woman," pairing them off as she walked down the line for the night.

But when they returned to work the next morning, one had an injured head, one was missing an eye and one had a broken foot.

"What is going on here?" the matron asked.

"I don't want this one," they all said. She saying, "I will not take him"; he saying, "I will not take her."

She sent for Rabbi Yosei and told him, "There is no G‑d like your G‑d. When you explained to me that G‑d is busy making matches, you spoke wisely."

RAMI

RAMI

Thanks Rami

KristineRead's picture

Thanks Rami, I'm glad that nothing was given away.

{*** Spoilers Hidden ***}

I'm curious if you caught the Sixth Sense like aspect of the story? The first segment is after Harry's wake.

{End of Spoiler}

Hugs,

Kristy

A different way of looking

A different way of looking at life and death and beyond.

Thanks Janice.

KristineRead's picture

Thanks Janice, I hope you enjoyed it.

Hugs,

Kristy

Soul Music

laika's picture

Short and sweet, a glimpse of what is clearly a much longer story, spanning the epochs.
It's a beautiful thought, although I then have to wonder about the whereabouts
of my own soul mate. Must've made a wrong turn at Albequerque...
~~~hugs, Veronica

just a touch

kristina l s's picture

Nicely done. Can you be touched by light alone? Maybe and it is a nice idea even if I'm not sure how I feel about it that individuality remains and you get to choose next time out. No arguments? Hah.

I did maybe wonder if a pinch longer might work the time line better, but..... Thanks Kristine.

Kristina (with an a - *grin*)

Short but Sweet

terrynaut's picture

Short but sweet, just like this comment. Nice job, Kristi. :)

Thanks and kudos!

- Terry

Thanks Terry

KristineRead's picture

Thanks Terry...

Hugs,

Kristy

Maybe This Time. . .

. . .they'll both be females. . .or both be males. Soul mates do tend to mix and match.

Beautiful story.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Absolutely!

KristineRead's picture

Absolutely!

Nothing in this story prevents that from being possible for a next lifetime, nor did I mean to imply it.

I woke up with this story in my head last Saturday. The strongest image I had was the one side saying, It's My Turn! And the other conceeding, so it just had to be part of the story. But all he says is that she had been female the last two times. We know that he was male the last time, but they could have both been female the time before, or not. :)

I suppose you could also argue that with the way that the time was described, you could make an argument, that later doesn't have to be later by Earth's timeline... Perhaps they can pick a time to be born... One of the nice things about ficlets is they can paint a broad brush and leave so much to the reader's own interpretations and give them something to think about. I hope that I succeeded in doing that here.

Thanks as always for your help with this one, Jill, and I am so glad you liked it!

Hugs,

Kristy

A rich life

Very sweet story, and a comforting sentiment that not all endings are tragic.

Even gives a glimmer of hope that there may indeed be someone out there for every one.

A nice vignette

it feels like looking at a string of photos in a family album, with an amusing twist at the end.

I really like your professionalism though, with three readers and then edited and proofread too. It shows commitment to quality and a seriousness about writing, which is admirable, and yet you still manage to write with a light and accessible touch.

Bravo.

XX
AD

I simply can't find

The right words to describe this story properly. It's that good. :)

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Trying to figure out

How I missed such a wonderful story! Loved it! Short, sweet AND sentimental! Thank you for sharing it with us,
Hugs
Diana

Like Faraway, I had trouble describing it.

KristineRead's picture

Diana,

Like Faraway, I had trouble describing Soul Mates, at least without giving away too much, so it went up without a summary line, or a picture, so it was a pretty unassumming post.

In any case, I'm so glad that you did find it!

Thank you and Faraway as well, for the comments, I truly appreciate them. In fact, thank you again to all that have commented, both here and via private message.

Hugs,

Kristy

Too close to life

janet_L.'s picture

Too close to life. I'm about to start bawling like a baby.

I had my hand on my father's shoulder as he passed on just eight days ago, and saw him buried just last Saturday.

My mother is still around, though. The question is will she stay around? Can she re-purpose her life from taking care of my father to something which will sustain her?

- Janet.

A Space Odyssey

Not sure why, but the first thing that pops into my head is that scene at the end of "2001" where a fetus is floating in space, heading for Earth.

I like the idea of two immortal souls, linked and playing through the web of life, one round after another. Or, better yet... to take a more "Outer Limits"-ish tack, imagine two space-children, playing a role-play game on Earth, again and again.

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

Soul Mates

Just found this again as "random solo".
I was very nice to read it again.

Martina