You Are a Meany Chapter 22

Printer-friendly version

The accuracy of a forecast was only good if the right factors were taken into consideration. A good forecast could be wrong when an unlikely factor was not taken into account when making the prediction. This was how the reliable forecast of good time with many laughs was wrong for Renee and Matt’s visit to the Lincoln Way Bike Park. The reason for the change to miserable filled with regret was the sight of Lori walking towards them.

Lori’s smiling face only meant that she had something she wanted to share about Luke with them. Their thoughts went to the worst possible outcome. That Luke was not adapting to live in California. Even with wanting the chance to see him again, the two remaining members of the Saturday Morning Bike Club wanted the best for him. Seeing him again was just selfish on their part. The damage between their bond was huge and reconciliation could not happen. None of them had the emotional maturity or the social skills to repair the damage.

The feeling of being at peace with how they treated him would only be momentary. Without any real and meaningful restitution the apology will not help towards making Luke whole. It would not fill in the huge space in the Saturday Morning Bike Club. Matt and Renee did not know the way to fill the hole to become whole again was to return the missing piece back where it belonged.

Before Lori could gleefully gloat about whatever perceived victory she had over Luke. Matt spoke up. Any chance he had to put Lori in her place he was going to get. Ensuring Lori knew Matt knew who she was gave the teenage boy a sense of atonement for the kiss of betrayal he gave her. The price of sharing his first kiss with Lori was not worth the cost of losing his friendship with Luke. “Lori, stop right now. We don’t want to hear anything you have to say. It was a waste of your time to come here.”

Lori understood why Matt said those words, but once again an accurate forecast said her classmate was wrong. Her coming to the bike park only so she could cause pain to those two about Luke doing bad was understandable. She has gone out of her way to deliver bad news about her brother so many times before.

Her visit to the bike park was not Machiavellian. Lori was there to walk the bike trail. She wanted to just be in nature. Her seeing Renee and Matt just gave her a chance to share about how Luke was doing. She was happy for him. Him being a good surfer and having a great group of friends was good news. Her brother deserved what he had out on the West Coast. Lori knew that she made that life impossible for him back here. She could feel less guilty about her past if she let others know about how good Luke was doing.

Lori responded “Matt I just came over quickly to tell you and Rene how great Luke is doing in California. I am here with my dad to walk the trail.”

Renee “Oh you are just here to rub it in that Luke is getting along fine without us.”

Lori had to defend herself, she was trying to do the right thing. “No, I just thought you two would be happy for him.”

The response had to be just a spin. A lie to cover up her plan was revealed before she could start it. Matt called her out again. “Like you care about Luke or us. You did everything you could to make us hate him. You almost achieved it. We were starting to believe he was overreacting to how badly you and your friends treated him.”

One of the lessons Lori was in the process of learning was taking responsibility for your actions. Matt was making an excuse for how those two turned their back on Luke. Matt was trying to blame her to own how he and Renee treated Luke got to her. Lori was the leader in all those attacks but those did follow her. They made the choice to double down on their bad decisions.

Lori’s anger made her come clean. Her personal defenses were down because she wanted so the truth came out. She was able to admit to others and more importantly to herself why she was a horrible sister to Luke. “Yes, I treated Luke bad. I saw him as my rival. I saw him as going after the same things I wanted. I did not want to share anything with him. I felt like I could not be my own person around him. I believed that was how a younger sister treated her older brother.

Those are my reasons and I was wrong. I just wonder what is your excuse.”

With those poignant words, Lori excused herself from the presence of those two. She much rather have been with her dad on the trail at that moment. She could always just talk once again about the good times. No matter how many times Fred heard Lori sing the praises of Luke and his friends they brought the same huge smile on his face. Her dad also was engaged and intrigued in the retelling of the tale as it was the first time hearing those words.

Matt and Renee were feeling low as Lori was leaving them. The use of reason for her and excuse for them was telling and exactly why they were down on themselves. Reasons came when people took ownership of their actions and excuses were when people did not. Matt and Renee knew they did wrong, but were still not at the place where they saw it was their own choice which led them to treat Luke wrong.

*****************

One major hook of a majority of great songs which transcend time share, was them seeming to be prophetic. The pen and paper with which those lyrics were written were not by a crystal ball. The appearance of them predicting fate came from them being a universal truth. These songs had a connection to the human experience which people want. This was exactly why Luke felt the Drifters singing “Under the boardwalk, down by the sea, yeah. On a blanket with my baby is where I'll be” was directed at him. That was his and Mary’s plans for the afternoon.

To be more precise that was part of the two lovebirds' plans for the afternoon. Mary took the initiative of spending some time alone with Luke under the boardwalk when she volunteered to clean up by boardwalk’s pillar. Tonight was the night of the carving of the Pillars. This was the unofficial goodbye to the members of the group which will be leaving them this summer. The friends who will be moving on to the next part of their life will carve their name in this year’s pillar. The carving was to memorialize their time in this group which was something bigger than its part. Making their name a permanent part of the Cove was also a pledge by them to always remain a member in heart.

During a little break from cleaning under the boardwalk Mary walked over to the pillar two beyond the one from tonight. This pillar was going to be the one which Mary will carve her name into. She will leave a little mark to recognize the huge mark this time in her life left on her. This mark will be part of the support which will help the Cove Crew stay strong and true to what the group was. That moment Mary made a big decision about leaving her mark. It was going to face towards the next pillar. That placement will be for her looking towards her future by honoring her past.

Luke joined her and went one past her pillar to his. Just a couple of months ago not even in Luke’s wildest dreams would he have thought about having a close group of friends. Being unaccepted by others was accepted by him. Luke also made a decision about where he will leave his mark. It would be facing towards the last year’s pillar. The placement would be a glance back at the past. Luke wanted his mark to be an acknowledgement of him honoring the past as he went towards his future.

Then Mary and Luke’s eyes met. There was a momentary stare as those two stopped thinking of the past and the future. Tomorrow and yesterday were forgotten concepts to them. Right now the couple were in the right now. The feeling both had was they just wanted to be closer to each other. Luke and Mary moved towards each other and their lips met. The kiss would continue long after their lips would become separated. The lovers being totally in the present and no sign of the other part of time that they were having an everlasting kiss.

***********

Being rushed was one of the worst feelings a person can feel. There was never a good outcome from being rushed. The best outcome of being rushed was becoming flustered. The worst was people making a huge mistake in what they were doing. This fact about being rushed did not stop Ms Palone from feeling so good about being pestered to find the keys faster.

The pestering came from the excitement from the kids in the David Project wanting into the social hall. Even with them now spending time together outside of the group, all of them wanted to start the evening right away. They wanted the group to be whole. They also had a lot of prep to do before Lori got back. The kids threw together a little welcome back party for Lori. The prep was putting out a half chocolate half vanilla cake, putting the two half gallon of chocolate and vanilla ice cream in the fridge and hanging up the Welcome Back Lori sign they made last week.

Lori had not been at the last two gatherings of the David Project. She was visiting family out in Cali. They were looking forward to hearing all about her time. More importantly, they wanted to set up the welcome back banner they made for her. Even with her officially being a volunteer, the kids in the David Project saw her as a friend. She was not like the rest who used the project as a way to do community service. Those kids were only there physically, they never made a connection with the group. Lori was one of them. She cared for them and they in turn cared for her.

Lori was looking forward to going to the David Project. How much Lori liked spending time with Ming and the others made getting out of the house an added bonus. This perceived small reprieve from the grounding was actually part of her punishment. Going to be around those kids was a good influence on her.

Lori was happy because she was going to see her friends. Plus she can share all about California to them. Well not all about California, she is going to leave out her bad behavior. One thing she is not going to leave out is Luke. How good he is on the board and how he made sure she was getting that VIP treatment at the Boyz +1 concert.

As normal, Fred walked in with his daughter. He wanted to be part of her growth. Going in also helped him judge Lori’s progress. Seeing the reaction of the other kids and Ms Palone was a sign on how well they were getting along. Them getting along well was a good sign of progress. Today the loving father did not need to look at Lori’s friends to know how well she was progressing. The handmade welcome back sign hanging above the table was sign enough.

As Ms Palone, Ming and the rest of the kids in the David Project came to greet the guest of honor Lori was nervous. She was rightfully concerned that her dad would think she had a hand in planning this little party. “I did not plan this dad.”

Fred put his arm around his daughter and with pride in his voice said “I know.”

All the smiling faces did not feed into Lori’s ego. The reason why, was that the Brat Princess was nowhere to be seen. These kids being so happy seeing her caused Lori to feel modest. This place was about those kids yet somehow they were going to make a portion of tonight all about her. They also came early to do her job of setting up. Sounding as sincere as a promise uttered alone, Lori said “You shouldn’t have.”

One of the kids, Charlie Murphy, said “We shouldn’t have, but we did. We missed you Lori and wanted to make sure you knew.”

Lori then downplayed her role in the group. She saw her as a volunteer not a member. “I come here to work with you. These nights are about you guys, not me.”

Being surrounded by a support group helped Charlie find his voice. “Lori, you are one of us.”

Those words of inclusiveness made Lori feel like an outsider. How could these kids who were bullied like her brother be so open to her. They had to know she bullied someone. She was exactly the same as the people who put these kids down. They were all bright as their own futures so they had to know. Yet they are calling and treating her as one of them. “I wish I was, but trust me. I am not.”

Charlie knew why Lori said trust me. He was as bright as Lori thought he was. “Lori you are one of us. What you did to be forced to come here is not important. The reason why, becoming a better person is. You are doing that. You are making amends for why you meet us. You also are enjoying yourself too much when you are here. You like spending time with us like we like spending time with you. You are our friend. Now you are stuck with us as long as you want us around.”

Those words of inclusiveness made Lori lose feeling like an outsider. These kids pardoned her unknown transgressions. They were willing when they met her to give her a chance to prove her bad decisions were not who she was. They accepted her for who she could be given a chance to grow. “Then I am stuck with all of you. I could not ask for better people to be stuck with.”

Ms. Palone asked Fred if he would come early to pick up Lori. The founder of the David Project wanted to show him her appreciation. Him being around as the kids were just being kids and not part of a social program would show how much progress his daughter has made. Fred quickly accepted the invite, who could turn down cake and ice cream along with seeing his daughter's graduation party from being a helper of this group to a full-fledged member. He asked for a plus one for his wife and got it.

When Fred and his wife arrived at the little get together he noticed a different vibe at the David Project than when he first came to see about his daughter’s forced volunteering. The kids were more casual, there was more freeflow between the groups. The emphasis was about them spending time with each other; not about doing something with someone.

Fred and Alice offered to serve the cake. They were guests but still wanted the hostess, Ms Palone, to be able to totally enjoy the rest of the celebration. The kids she was helping were lost in the moment and she deserved to have that joy also.

Before the serving of the cake Ming excused himself to go to the office. As he was walking out holding a box, the rest of the kids surrounded Lori. Ming gently placed the box on the table in front of his friend. The presentation of this gift was ceremonial.There was also emotion behind the offering so the ceremony felt authentic and not just following some sort of tradition for the sake of following it.

Lori's response was also as heartfelt as she said. “Thank you so much Ming. You shouldn’t have.”

Ming said “Lori the gift is from all of us. It is my part in us showing how happy we are that you are back.”

Lori sincerely said “I am sorry. Thank you everyone. I love it.”

One of the other kids, Simone Walton, said “How can you love it without seeing it? Open it.”

Lori laughed and said “I love it because it comes from all of you.”

Lori's statement of why she loved the unknown present touched Simone. Being bullied made the young lady always feel like she could do nothing right. Just knowing the action of the party was right added to the confidence being in the David Project was giving to her. She hugged Lori and said “Thank you for being my friend.”

After the embrace which also acted like the official signing of the social contract between Lori and Simone, the rest of the kids started to clamor for her to open the gift. The reward of seeing Lori’s face was what they wanted. Giving joy to others doubled the joy. They wanted more joy.

Lori opened the box and saw those amazing works of paper art Ming made. The subjects of the statues touched Lori. She recognized them as the flora and fauna Ming pointed out on their nature hike. Another hike needed to be put on their agenda. That day was fun and made Lori feel good about being herself. She gingerly lifted the red-tailed hawk out of the box and said.”Everyone, look at how great this work of origami is.”

Lori appreciating the gift made Ming turn as red as the paper used to make that hawk. Making his friend happy by his gesture of letting her know how dear she was to him felt good. That feeling was gift enough for Ming. To make sure people did not make his flushness the topic of conversation Ming added. “In Mandarin the word for origami is zhe zhi.”

The additional fact would have been a huge slight to the Brat Princess. That part of Lori could have seen that as being corrected instead of informed. Ming would have had to pay for that slap in the face. Lori took Ming adding the information as him being helpful to her and others to better understand the difference between the Chinese and Japanese culture.

Lori saw her friend being a little uneasy. “Guys let’s eat some cake.We can all look at the zhe zhi later.”

The group eagerly turned their attention to the cake. This was a little celebration for Lori coming back, but also an excuse to just have a good time with each other. They wanted unstructured and unplanned mingling. That was when the best laughs, the best conversations and best times were found. The group got what they wanted but the two people who had the best time were Fred and Alice seeing the progress in Lori’s attitude and behavior. The reign of the Brat Princess was becoming more and more a part of the past, for only family historians to be interested in.

*****************

Good online etiquette is to remember that there was someone on the other side of the screen. This code of conduct was meant so people would remember that they are interacting with another human when making comments. This advice for good and polite behavior can cover looking at any webpage. Other people will see and be affected by your actions so people need to be empathic. That their actions online was a social interaction.

Browsing the internet was not a time when most people thought that they were interacting with others. Luke was alone in his room staring on his Facebook page looking at his suggested friends, Matt and Renee were the two top recommendations which the algorithm made. At the same time Matt and Renee happened to also be on their Facebook page also looking at their suggested friends, Luke was on top of their lists.

At this moment even with Luke, Renee, and Matt being in different rooms and over 3,000 miles away they were unknowingly sharing a moment. Each one of them, was the someone else on the other side of the screen. Their actions would be seen by the others.

The three teenagers who founded the Saturday Morning Bike Club were making a decision about the suggestion. The gears in their heads were cranking as they tried to decide what to do about the friend suggestion. There were three paths to take. Leave the suggestion open, accept it or close it.

At that moment all three of them were indecisive so they left the suggestion open.The inability to take action came from Luke’s fear and Matt and Renee’s shame. Luke was scared that his two former friends would once again reject him. Even with his dad saying they had no part in the joke present, Luke was not so sure. Those two did change when being in attendance to the Brat Princess’s court. Matt and Renee’s shame came from all the lies they told themselves. Those lies and believing them made it so they did believe that Luke would accept that they changed their ways.

This time inaction was helpful by keeping things how they were.The status quo was those three had unfinished business. Them being scared of doing anything left the door open to reconciliation. At the right place and right time the reformation of the Saturday Morning Bike Club could still occur.

**************

Teenagers had a time honored summer tradition in Western Pa of sitting on steps with your friends drinking a carton or jug of Turner's iced tea. Outsiders would see this bonding experience as nothing more than an elaborate waste of time. The drink had to be Turner’s, if anyone showed up with anything else they would get razzed. Getting a Snapple, AriZona, and Lipton was just buying a name. The other local dairies iced tea were just substandard imitations of the real thing. Then most of the talk was just that talk. A plethora of plans, dreams and aspirations were shared and quickly thrown away. The past, current and future generation knew differently.

This time sitting together was a bonding experience for all and also one of growth for many. This was a time and place where they could open up. The talk which was not talk was actually the teenagers culling out the bad ideas. There was no fear of being rejected for saying an idea which was going to be rejected.

Blake and Tom were partaking in this rite of passage. Tom was talking about how he was going to get a much better girlfriend than Renee. That he was fine with them breaking up. That he was not hurt that she picked defending someone who was not her friend anymore over him. One day he will find a girl who was loyal and understood humor.

Tom was done filibustering about how he was better off with Renee when he finally asked Blake what he thought. Even with thinking about his own issues instead of listening, Tom's friend was able to give a detailed answer of support and approval. Blake could have verbatim given the rant. Getting the upper hand in the breakup was Tom’s goal and what he shared on those steps.

Blake then talked about how unfair it was having a girlfriend and not be able to see her. What good was it to have someone if you could not be lovin', touchin', squeezin' each other. That he knew that Lori was so open to it being more than just lovin', touchin', squeezin’ each other.

Blake's voice was as strong as granite as he was talking about getting some for that special someone. The young inexperienced boy thought he would be great. To him the girls he have been with would start calling him Fred Flinstone because he would make their bed rock. This notion that once he did the act which he thought would make him a man he would be known as a Don Juan was ridiculous. He would be a clumsy lothario. All about his own pleasure and using sex to prove something which it could not prove.

Even with Blake telling a tale as tall a redwood, Tom agreed with him. That was part of sitting on the steps. Even if the plans, dreams and aspirations were never going to come true, give your friends the support to follow them. Then after Tom was done fulfilling his part of after building up each other's confidence they each took a sip from their carton of tea and went to the next subject.

************

Ming was touched by the curio Lori gave him. It being somewhat of a secret did hurt him. He understood that Lori did not want the others to feel left out. That showing it to the other members of the David Project could come off as being exclusive. The reason why he wanted to show them as to be inclusive. Ming wanted them to share what best friends did for each other. He saw other bonds in the group become closer and they needed an example.

Ming was still new at having a close friend but knew he had to throw away her advice. Not listening to Lori was scary, and the boy who wanted to be an example needed to be brave. He had to take the well calculated chance of alienating a new friend to help his other friends. A true friend would understand that they cannot tell others what to do.

Once again when Lori showed up at the David Project everyone else was there. Ming contacted everyone to show up early once more. Having his friends to agree was as easy as getting a dog to go for a walk. She made a mental note to tell her dad that they will have to leave earlier. She wanted to at least help out with the set up.

Then Lori saw the curio cabinet. She tensed up. Right then she felt that the others knowing about the gift would make them feel left out. That they were not important and were nowhere near the spotlight she shined on her friend.

Before Lori go to the phase of getting out of trouble, I can explain, could come out. All the other kids were clamouring her. Each one of them could not wait to get their praise out. They said it was so nice she got Ming that gift. The gesture was so thoughtful.

Lori said “I am sorry that I did not get all of you something also.”

Simone Walton was having none of this. Her newest friend was feeling bad for doing something good. Simone was too well acquainted with that feel so she had to give Lori justification. Simone knew how important others saying what you did was the right thing helped build confidence. “Lori, no. Ming is your best friend. You two always hang out. I know I would do the same for my best friend when I get one.”

Simone’s words were what Lori was afraid of happening. That the kids would know they do not have a close bond with anyone else yet. She did not want them to feel excluded.

Then Rachel LeBlanc spoke up. Her and Simone were spending more time together at the David Project and she was hoping that one day those two would hang out together. Being rejected was the only reason Rachel never brought up her desire. Seeing the person she felt closest to in the world hurting a little made Rachel’s fear disappear and she made a clumsy declaration. “Simone, I am your best friend.”

Simone felt the same way. Simone had the same fear about bringing up hanging out outside of the David Project. The truth of them eased out any feeling of awkwardness from Rachel’s words. With pride in her voice, Simone said “I would have done it for Rachel.”

The other kids started to make their own declarations. They were all the same as Rachel and Simone’s. They opened themselves up and said who they cared about the most. The best thing about these declarations was they all matched. The reason why is simple: people become best friends before they know they were.

As Lori saw her friends become closer she thought about what the wise words Simone said. Ming was her best friend. Lori never had a best friend before. She had lackeys who would always jockey for position to be closer to her. How close the kids were, depended on how much they were in Lori’s fickle favor. She knew her friendship with Ming was different. If Tracy, Blake, Mandy, or the others would have not listened to her it would have been off with their heads. Even when Lori thought Ming was wrong, she understood that he was trying to do the right thing.

up
53 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I can't believe I have firsties

on a post from last November! 8 months after it was posted! This story is much to good to have that be happening.

And I can't believe I am

Beoca's picture

And I can't believe I am getting second a whole 15 months after it was posted. It's fun to read back through the story and comments having seen the story in its entirety.