halloween in Pendle

Printer-friendly version

I have just woken up after the first halloween party I have been to since I was a small child and I don’t think I will ever be the same again.

When I was a young boy it was before the days when halloween became the big occasion it is now and usually it was just a case of wandering the streets with a hollowed-out turnip lantern (pumpkins hadn’t really taken off in the UK at that time) knocking on the doors in our local village and being given sweets. Back at home we then had games, bobbing for apples in the old galvanised tin bath, or biting at apples hanging by string from a clothes line, Mam always made apple and sweetmince pies or small tarts. It was fairly low key, our big occasion was a week later, November 5th, bonfire night, Guy Fawkes night, celebrating the foiling of a plot to blow up parliament and all the members ( a lot of people say that we could do with Guy Fawkes and Robert Catesby at this moment in time ).

Back in the present, I had been talked into attending work for the day and going to a party in fancy dress by the girls in the travel agency where I had just started working as under-manager. I was intrigued when i learnt that I would be based in Pendle in the foothills of the Pennines in central Lancashire. Pendle was the site of an infamous witchcraft trial in 1612 which resulted in a mass hanging on very flimsy evidence, the story of which now made a significant contribution to the local tourist industry.

“You must join in with us Norman, you are only 22, far too young to be a stay-at-home stick-in-the mud, we always dress up in the shop on Halloween, the customers enjoy it and we raise a lot of money for “Children in Need” which is running at the moment. After work we go around the local pubs collecting for a couple of hours and this year, later on, we are going back to my house, us and some of the neighbours are going to have a bit of a shindig, you must come.

“But Suzie, I never do fancy-dress parties, and don’t have any costume, it’s only a couple of days away and I am sure that the hire shops have already been cleared out.”

“Don’t worry, I’m sure that we can organise something for you, and a night out with us will be good for a bit of team bonding and let you get to know us better”

“Ok then, do i need to get anything or can you provide all I need?”

“I’ll sort you out, tomorrow come home with me and we’ll get your costume tried on, you can stay the night in our spare room and come in with me on halloween.”

I noticed the girls gossiping and giggling a lot in the office over the next couple of days, and casting glances over at me, not realising what they were plotting.

On the evening before halloween, I went back with Suzie to her home, and over a glass of wine, she talked through the plans.

“Last year we all dressed as Zombies, and the year before it was the Brides of Dracula, this year we are all going to be dressed as Morticia Addams.”

“That sounds fun, what have you got in mind for me?”

“You would be dressed as Morticia as well, of course, I have a spare costume that will fit you. I know it sounds strange but it will be fun and the other girls will appreciate it. Don[t worry about what you will look like, it’s all a bit over the top anyway, and the whole point is to have a laugh.”

“ Ok , just this once though, next time I will want something a bit more appropriate.“

“We’’ll sort out the bits and pieces later but get stripped and try on the dress for fit.”

I stripped and climbed into a tight long slinky black dress, that reached all the way down to my ankles, pulled it up and put my arms in the sleeves, but couldn’t manage the back zip, Suzie had to help to close it up, and it fitted like a glove.

“Mm, not too bad but it is too tight at the waist, you will need a body shaper to pull you in a bit. If you wear one overnight it will be a lot easier in the morning,” She came back with a lace-up corset, fitted it around me and pulled tight the laces, had me stretch my arms up, and pulled it even tighter until I could hardly breath, and tied it up. “ Sleep in that and your body will adjust a bit and it should be easier in the morning.

She was right, in the morning it was a lot more comfortable. She helped me with my makeup, very pale foundation, no blusher or colour, heavy black mascara and eye liner, and dark purple lipstick, I put on black knickers, tights and bra, which she stuffed with wobbly jelly-like lumps of something to look like breasts, zipped myself into the dress, put on a long straight black wig, slipped into black 4” stilettos and a coat, picked up a bag with my belongings and we were ready to go to the office,

All the girls in the office were dressed similarly and we all looked knockout. it went down really well with the customers and our charity collection buckets were all rattling well even before we went round the bars in the evening.

Back at Suzie’s house later the party was a great success, There were a dozen couples there, name a horror character and someone was dressed as them, zombies, Dracula, Frankenstein’s monster, mummies, ghouls, vampires, witches, everyone had made a big effort. The food, drink, and music were all horror-themed and it was a very enjoyable event. I must have had too much to drink as i didn’t remember going to bed.

I woke up lying on my bed, fully clothed in my Morticia outfit from yesterday and with a sore head and a strange feeling. I shook my head to clear it and was blinded by the long hair hanging over my eyes and went to take of the wig, but it seemed to be fixed to my head.

After all the drinks the night before I needed to relieve myself and managed to walk to the loo, hitched up my skirt and pulled down the tights and knickers and automatically sat down to pee, suddenly realising that I had no choice, my male bits had all disappeared and somehow I now had a vagina, i was totally confused, what on earth had happened to me? I shouted out for Suzie, but it came out in a high-pitched scream.

“What on earth is the matter with you Norma, you have been making funny noises all night, you haven’t even changed or cleaned off your makeup, go and have a shower and get cleaned up, we have to get ready for work.

I stripped and got into the shower, not only did i now have a vagina, but I also had breasts, and hips, and a narrow waist, somehow I had changed completely into a woman overnight.

“Suzie !!! What on earth has happened to me, what have you done?”

“Don’t worry too much Norma. This is Pendle, all the tales of witches and strange goings on are not just stories, Those of us whose families go back here into the mists of time have always had special powers. Everyone here last night is a member of our coven and we were one member short, and you have been chosen to join us. Spells cast on halloween are permanent and not reversible and it was easy to change your body to match the way you looked, but you will soon get used to your new role in life and will grow to like it.”

“We had better get ready for the office now, I’ve left out a spare staff uniform and underclothes and things for you, get dried off, put on your makeup and clothes, pick up your handbag and we’ll soon be off, the girls in the office can’t wait to see the new you.”

The end

up
213 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Halloween

A little bit of topical fun. enjoy yourselves, but be ever so careful of who you party with tonight !

Gill xx

Changes

Some of wouldn't object.

Mist over Pendle

Robertlouis's picture

Nice little story. I’m assuming you’ve read Mist Over Pendle, Robert Neill’s classic novel of the witch hysteria and the trials that followed. If not, you must get hold of it - it’s a thrilling read. My copy is very well-thumbed!

☠️

Another great story!

Lucy Perkins's picture

Hi Gill
I loved the whole feel of this story...right from the slightly grumpy start which just sums up this middle aged Yorkshire lass..I mean Halloween? Pumpkins? Trick or Treat? If I'd have tried that in Sheffield back in the 80's the old lad down the road would have told us to come back and dig his garden!
But then take in Pendle and suddenly? A very scary example of male hysteria? I've visited Pendle on many occasions..Pendle hill is a classic..but there is something about the place. Something that reflects the bad history. No disrespect to the good people of East Lancashire but I really wouldn't want to live there!
Anyway a wonderful bit of fun.
Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

I wouldn't want to live there

A little bit of Yorkshire prejudice methinks! But then anything over the Pennines is thought to be a bit weird by Tykes. . Lol

Gill xx

Too true!

Lucy Perkins's picture

My Great-Grandma lived all her life in Saddleworth and in 1974 when it was moved from Yorkshire into Oldham she actually wrote to the government to complain that she was being moved into Lancashire "where everyone knows the Winters are worse".
Actually there IS something about some places..Pendle for one and Hebden Bridge for another..they do feel " other".
I remember as a tiny child visiting Eyam in the Peak District..famed as the plague village.
I had nightmares for years about the terrible sacrifice that those brave people made in 1666 to prevent the rest of Derbyshire being wiped out by Plague.
Maybe I'm just too sensitive!
Love from an Expat Sheffield lass Lucyxxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Trusty

Daphne Xu's picture

"You're far too trusting."

But not this time. The blame is squarely on the women of the coven. He humbled himself to join his coworkers or subordinates in an evening of partying and celebration. But instead...

-- Daphne Xu

Losses

So, did he/she lose the under-management position and get dropped to general worker? What about his family and friends? What if he had a 'significant other'? And did all his records get changed, back to the first squall after birth.

And what would they do if he decided he wanted nothing to do with them and decided to move? He may not be able to change back, but he doesn't have cooperate with them, does he? Does he have free will or is he a puppet, dancing to their strings?


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Thank you for taking the

Thank you for taking the story seriously and wanting more. It was just written as a short halloween cameo tale. it could have been expanded into a longer story following up on his life changes, but I thought that with magic all things would have been re-organised and new memories and backgrounds created, and that the tale could stop where it did. Thanks once again for your interest.

Gill