Interview with a Lolita -chp4

Printer-friendly version

Interview with a Lolita

Debra Wallen had expected her day to be filled with the usual drudgery of an Interns life for Fashion Blitz magazine. She never expected to be interviewing one of the world’s newest and biggest fashion designers this day. Not only was the woman a force to be reckoned with but a true mystery as well. Debra would be the first person to ever had a one on one interview with Ren Nagata. This was Debra’s big chance and she really wanted to impress her boss by coming back with an interview worthy of her trust. Little could Debra see how this one interview would affect her life or how it would influence her career.


Chapter 4
Home of Nagata Family, Yomitan, Okinawa

Ren couldn’t believe what his aunt Yoshi was asking him. She had just offered to make his dreams come true. Hell, she was offering to actually help him become Rain. Well not so much Rain, but Ren. Letting him become the girl he always felt he should have been. The one problem was she wanted Ren to be a Lolita. He had put off answering his aunt’s question right away. He just asked her if he could think about it for a while. Yoshi just smiled and said yes. Take all the time he needed.

When they pulled into the house Ren was a little surprised by what see saw. The house was surrounded by an eight-foot wall capped with red tile. It was like something out of his favorite anime shows. Then again, most people don’t want to watch a cartoon show about the granddaughter of a yakuza crime lord playing the part of a high school teacher. Ren always laughed at the antics of Kumiko Yamaguchi as she went out of her way to keep her secret as the acting head of the Oedo Yakuza clan.

Yoshi sighed as her brothers Jiro, Juro, and Mistu stepped out to greet her. Jiro was first to pull her into a hug. “God, it’s good to see you home safe Yoshi. Mom’s been going crazy with worry over you being in America all alone.”

“Good to see you too little brother.” Yoshi chuckled as she was passed to her oldest brother Juro. “Hey bro. Did you miss me?”

“Momoko and the kids will be glade to see you home, safe and sound, Yoshi. Did you have any problems with the Americans?” Juro Nagata was the oldest of the Nagata boys. He was also the most successful of the family or so everyone thought. Yoshi just smiled at her older brother and shook her head no. “Good. I’ve got everything lined up for Raymond to enter Orai Boys Academy.”

“Hold on there, Juro. You might want to ask if Yoshi has a plan in place first.” Mitsu ordered his older brother. Raymond could tell that his uncle was a military lifer. Someone that would never leave the Japanese Self Defense Force.

“Mitsu tell me one time that our sister has ever planned anything. She has never looked beyond what is right in front of her nose.” Juro snapped. Only to have Yoshi bristle at his attitude. Ren could tell that his oldest uncle was a hardcore traditionalist. Ren knew that he would cause problems if given half the chance. “It would be best if the boy came to live with me or with you Mitsu. Preferably you. As you are closer to the type of man his father was.”

Yoshi just sighed and then smacked her brother across the back of the head. “Juro, put a sock in it already. Mother and father have already stated that Raymond will be coming to live with me. As far as me not having a plan why don’t you stop and think beyond your success for once.”

“Just what does that mean?” Juro was practically jumping down Yoshi’s throat.

“Simple dear brother. Unlike you I own eight HIGH-END stores and make a very comfortable living at it. You on the other hand are nothing more than a low-level factory floor manager. You barely have enough room for you and family in that house you’re renting. I OWN my apartment in Harajuku. Of my eight stores five of them are Takeshita Doori shops and the another three are in Omotesando Hills.” Yoshi was on a roll now and wasn’t hitting the breaks. “And just where is Mitsu going to put up a teenage boy? The barracks?! Get a clue already. He’s still in the Army and has more than five years to go. As for Jiro he’s in the same boat. Only he’s still in college. Besides, I owe his parents for everything they did for me.”

Ren’s uncle Juro took a step back then finally turned to face Ren. “Does the boy even speak Japanese?” Then he asked of Ren in English with a heavy accent. “Do you understand what I’m saying?”

Ren bit his tongue and remembered his manners. With a deep bow he replied in fluent Japanese. “I speak read and write, Japanese fluently, uncle Juro.”

Yoshi smirked at the stunned look on her brother’s face. She knew that Ren had just given her brother a lesson in manners. One that he will not soon forget. “Juro, I believe that you owe your nephew an apology.”

“Yoshi is correct Juro. You’re being an ass.” Jiro told his older brother before turning to Ren. “Welcome to Yomitan, Raymond.”

Ren, bowed to his uncle. “Thank you, uncle Jiro. I hope your studies are going well? I believe that you’re studying to be a diplomat.”

Jiro was shocked by how much Ren knew about him. “I see Yoshi has been filling you in on each of us. By chance do you speak any other languages?”

“Just German for now, uncle Jiro. I’ve started learning Hangugeo thanks to an Army Specialist back at Fort Knox. And a teaching app.” Ren looked down as he answered his uncle. Ren knew that it was best to keep certain things to himself. At least for now. He and Yoshi had talked about that very topic during the flight. “Uncle Mistu I hope that you’re enjoying your duty at the Gunma training grounds.”

Major Mistu Nagata chuckled and returned Raymond’s bow. “Why am I not surprised that you know about my posting to the Gunma training grounds? You have done your parents proud Raymond. I wish my translators did half as well as you.”

“I won’t be too hard on your translators, uncle. I have several advantages they do not. First, I have, had the opportunity to study for longer than they have uncle. Second, I’ve had some of the best teachers to study under. Third, I also started much younger than the average person does.” Raymond told his uncle with a smile nicely down playing his abilities with languages.

Mistu, and Jiro chuckled as Juro just scowled at Ren. He was already thinking of how he could distance himself from his unwanted nephew. Unlike his brothers, and mother, Juro was of the mind that Yoshi should have been married off after her graduation for her kōtōgakkō or her secondary high school. It was bad enough that Mishi had married the American but then they had to go and encourage Yoshi’s fantasies to become a business woman. Now, his family has to deal with the dishonor of dealing with their half-breed child. One that looked more like a girl than the boy he was supposed to be. Especially one that looked like his dead sister.

“He needs a haircut. I won’t have no nephew of mine walking around looking a damned shisutaabooi. I expect you to take of this Yoshi.” Juro ordered Ren’s aunt Yoshi while glaring at Ren as if he was a bug.

“Can you pull the stick out of your ass Juro? Just for a few days. After we get Mishi and Steve interred you can go back to being your usual Corporate ass kissing self. Remember that you are not yet head of this family.” Mistu snapped before turning back to Ren. “Raymond, please forgive your uncle Juro. It seems that he has forgotten how to treat family.”

Ren bowed to his uncle. “Uncle Juro, has no need to apologize to me uncle Mistu. I know that I am the outsider here. Just as my father was the outsider.”

Yoshi covered her mouth with her left hand to hide the giggle that attempted to escape her. Ren’s subtle jab at her brother Juro was enough to get the point across that Juro was the one in the wrong. Yet Ren was giving him a way out saving face. One that Yoshi knew her brother couldn’t pass up. Once again Ren was showing his diplomatic skills to their fullest.

“You are no outsider, nephew. I must say that your understanding of Japanese is quite amazing. May I know who taught you?” Juro knew what Raymond had done for him.

“My parents were my main teachers, uncle Juro. The men and women of my father’s units were some of the others. It is amazing what one can learn just from spending time with others in a foreign country.” Ren just smiled as he explained his knowledge of languages and how he came to have it. Yoshi just giggled at the way Ren kept reminding her brother that he was not the big wig he thought he was.

They were interrupted before Juro could make an even bigger ass of himself by the arrival of an elderly couple. The cold hard stare that the woman gave Juro put an end to the discussion. “Yoshi, I thought I told you to call when you landed.”

Yoshi bowed deeply to the woman. “I am sorry mother. I felt it was better to avoided the traffic around Naha first before calling. After that I will admit to forgetting to call. Raymond and I got swept away in our talk of the surrounding countryside.”

The elder woman returned Yoshi’s bow. “You are forgiven Yoshi. I can see how you could become distracted by answering Raymond’s questions.”

The old man that Ren assumed was his grandfather looked him over. “Welcome to our family home Raymond. We had hoped that you would visit us one day. This is not how we wished for that day to come about.”

Bowing deeply to the elder Nagata, Ren kept his voice respectful. “Thankyou, grandfather. I am honored by your welcome and hope to continue to bring honor to your family name. My mother’s stories of her home failed to do it justice. The beauty that surrounds one here is amazing. I am sorry if my questions of Okinawa caused aunt Yoshi to fail her duties. I will endeavor to ensure that never happens again. I wish my life to be a tribute to my mother and father.”

Light Nagata was many things but impolite was not one of them. Returning Ren’s bow Ray let his feelings be known to the rest of his family. “You have already honored our family by returning your parents to us, Raymond.”

“It was my duty to carry out sir. Honor dictated that I bring my parents, home.” Mitsuko Nagata hid her smile at the way Ren had flipped the tables on her husband. The thought of ‘Yoshi was right he knows how to be diplomatic and respectful.’ Flashed through Mitsuko’s mind even as Ren was finishing.

Mitsuko smiled then bowed to Ren. “Welcome child. Bring your burden inside. It is almost time to begin tsuya. Yoshi, you have your old room. I’ve placed Raymond in his mother’s room across the hall.” Mitsuko looked over at her three sons. “You three can bring in their baggage.”

With that the elder Nagatas led Raymond inside their home ending all further debate on whether or not Ren belonged in their family. Light may have been a traditional Japanese man in many ways, but when it came to running the house and family he almost always bowed to his wife’s judgement. One of the few times that he ever put his foot down on how things were done was when it came to his daughters. It had concerned his oldest daughter Mishi and her marrying an American serviceman.

Light might not have agreed with the marriage Mishi’s to Steve Rockwell, but he still loved his daughter. Over time he had come to respect Steve and accept him as a son-in-law. When the news of their deaths had first reached them Light was crushed. He had done everything in his power to smooth over the paperwork to bring his grandchild home. Every contact he had made over the years as a construction contractor had been used to their full effect. If it had not been for the delays caused by faulty wiring being delivered to his current jobsite, Light would flown out himself to handle the matters in the United States. It had been Mitsuko who had suggested their daughter Yoshi over their sons. Now he was glad that he had.

Unlike his sons Light had already spotted the less than masculine traits in his grandchild. He had no personal feelings one way or the other in regards toward homosexuality. He in fact employed several openly gay men and women for his construction crews. They were in fact some of his most valued employees. He had seen the pictures that Yoshi had sent his wife earlier and had made the same comment about his grandchild looking so much like his mother. He had even voiced the same worries as Mitsuko over bullies in the surrounding area. Mostly over the American dependents that went to the local school. So, when Mitsuko had suggested that their grandchild would be better of with Yoshi, he had agreed whole heartily. In his mind it was the best outcome for all concerned.

Mitsuko on the other hand had other thoughts on her mind as they led her daughter and grandchild into the house. Main that she may have made a mistake in getting her grandchild a black suite and tie. The more she looked at her grandchild the more she thought she was seeing a ghost. The long black hair, and Asian features of the child made her think of Mishi at the same age. If his hair had not been a ponytail she would have sworn that her oldest daughter had returned from the land of the dead. She would have to have a word with Yoshi once they were alone.

Yoshi just followed behind Ren as they entered the house. She knew that her mother had things well in hand. As they took off their shoes Yoshi noticed that Ren wasn’t wearing socks in the normal sense. He was wearing nylon knee-highs. The smile that came to Yoshi’s lips was quickly and almost ruthlessly crushed. She didn’t want her mother or father to know her plans for Ren just yet. She knew that if her parents thought that she might be influencing ren in anyway they would take over custody for Ren. There wouldn’t be anything that she or Ren could say or do to stop them.

Ren didn’t think twice about removing his shoes at the genkan. Genkan are traditional Japanese entryway areas for a house, apartment, or building—something of a combination of a porch and a doormat. It is usually located inside the building directly in front of the door. The primary function of genkan is for the removal of shoes before entering the main part of the house or building. He grew up following the tradition in his mother and father’s home. For him to do otherwise seemed disrespectful in the home of his mother’s family. Ren knew that the custom of removing one's shoes before entering the house is believed to go back over one thousand years to the pre-historical era of elevated-floor structures. Ren also knew it has continued to the present, even after the westernization of the Japanese home, which began in the Meiji period.

As Ren’s grandmother showed him to the room he would be using for the next few days he noticed a few things about the house. For starters the house was built in a square with a central courtyard inside. The four halls of the house were built right next to the edge of the property. There was a covered walkway running around the inside of the halls. The back hall was where the bathroom, kitchen, laundry, and toilet were located. Ren could tell that the house was bigger than most traditional homes in Japan. He could also tell that his grandparents were not working class stiffs, not by a long shot. If anything, the sheer size of the house and the way that it was built spoke of hard won wealth by his grandfather.

He bowed to his grandmother as she slid back the shoji to his room. As he stepped in off the rōka, wooden floored passages that are similar to hallways that are on the edge of houses, and out of his slippers he was surprised by the size of the room. He had never seen a six-tatami-bedroom before. In one corner was a chest, or tansu. These were first used in the 700s in Japan. This armoire had doors that opened and drawers. Tansus were used for clothing storage and was generally very utilitarian, though sometimes these chests had iron banding or decorations. Hanging on the front of it was a brand new black suit and tie. In the center of the room was a double futon, while long the back wall under the window was a built in desk.

Mitsuko smiled that way her grandchild acted. When her daughter had told her that Raymond acted as if he was raised in a traditional Japanese family she had been suspect, to say the least. Yet everything she had seen of her grandchild put that thought to bed. The more she watched the more she realized that Raymond displayed the actions of a teenage girl raised in a traditional Japanese family. As she thought about this it made sense to her, as her grandchild’s only exposure to the Japanese culture was from his mother. She finally noticed the one foot square package that the boy was carrying.

“Are those your parents’ ashes, Raymond?” She asked politely while pointing at the package in Ren’s hand.

“Yes ma’am. The urn is inside grandmother. I felt it was best to hand carry them.” Note of sadness in Ren’s voice grabbed at Mitsuko’s heart. She practically rushed inside the room to pull Ren into a hug as the boy finally started to cry.

“Hush, child. You are home now. We will not let you be abandoned to the system. You are my grandchild and that is all that matters.” Mitsuko rubbed Ren’s back as the teen wept for his dead parents. Ren had been holding back his grief for his aunt Yoshi. He had been doing everything he could to not let the loss drag him down into the pits of despair and overwhelming depression. Once Ren had regained his composure Mitsuko kissed him on the forehead. “There is a robe in the tansu that you can use. Go take a shower followed by a hot bath. Then get some sleep. I know you have to be tired from the long flight.”

Ren just nodded his head and moved to do as he was told. Mitsuko just left the boy to take care of his shower and bath. As she closed the shoji Mitsuko took one last look at her grandchild. She had to stifle the gasp of shock that came to her. It was not her grandson that she saw but her dead daughter as Ren shook his hair out of the ponytail he had worn until now. In a voice barely above a whisper. “You have not left us, have you Mishi.”

Closing the door before her grandchild could saying anything Mitsuko rushed to find her husband. She found him in with her daughter Yoshi. They were talking quietly about the very topic she had come to face them with. Light was asking about Ren. “Tell me Yoshi, is my grandson gay, shisutaabooi, or toransujendā? I must know so that I can help him. It does not matter to me one way or the other Yoshi. You should know that by now. Just look at my office staff. I swear I couldn’t get half of what I do get done without Natsu or Nori’s help.”

Mitsuko had to laugh at the mentioning of Light’s two personal assistants. Natsu was a confirmed dōseiaisha or same-sex-lover. While not as restrained as Natsu, Nori was without a doubt one of the most beautiful toransujendā or transgender women Mitsuko had ever met. That they both ran her husband’s office like a Feudal Lord and Lady was always a point of hilarity for Mitsuko and Light. Not even the most masculine of construction workers though ever gave them any crap. They were well respected by all of Light’s employees.

Yoshi smiled at her father for picking up on what she had taken days to figure out. “Papa, I feel that he is toransujendā. I know that Raymond prefers the name Ren over Raymond. We were talking about it on the way here. That was why I got so distracted mama. I could really use your advice right now.”

Mitsuko was about to answer when she heard the shoji to Ren’s room then close. She turned and looked back at where her grandchild was walking toward the bathroom. Ren’s movements, build, and manners were all screaming to the world girl. In big bold capital letters for all to see. She waved for Yoshi and Light to join her on the rōka. When they did Yoshi hid her smile behind her hand as she knew what to expect when she saw Ren. Her father though had to grab the frame of the shoji for support at what he was seeing. It was not his grandson that he was seeing but his oldest daughter’s ghost walking into the bathroom.

“Yoshi, have you made arrangements for my grandchild’s schooling yet?” Light gruffly demanded of her. “Because if you haven’t then we need to find a school that will allow my granddaughter to be herself.”

“Not yet, papa. That is just one of the many things that I need help with. I do not know where to even start. I do know that I will need to get her in with a doctor first. Then there is the whole deal with getting her name changed, not to mention everything else that entails. I don’t even know who I should contact, papa.” Yoshi was almost whining by the time she finished.

Light sighed and hugged his daughter. “Don’t worry Yoshi. I know who to talk with. Nori will be here tonight for the wake. For now, do you think that, what was the name that you used?”

“Ren, papa.” Yoshi answered quickly.

“Thank you, dear. Do you think that Ren will be more comfortable in a kimono than the suite your mother purchased?” Light Nagata was not one to waste time once he was confronted with a problem. He had always been one to take charge and find solutions. It was one of the many reasons why his construction company was so sought after in Okinawa. That and he had a reputation for bringing in his projects on time and usually under budget with quality workmanship. But even this was a whooper of a twist for Yoshi to warp her mind around. “I did not stutter Yoshi. Would Ren be more comfortable in a kimono? I expect an answer.”

“I believe so papa, but where are we going to get one for her on such short notice?”

“We still have the ones that you and Mishi wore for your grandfather and grandmother, Yoshi. One of them should fit Ren nicely.” Mitsuko answered with a smile. “Go make sure that Ren washes her hair. I’ll go dig out the kimonos.”

Yoshi just smiled then hugged her mother. “Yes mama. Papa, what will we tell my brothers? You know that Juro will raise objection.”

“Let me deal with your brothers.” Light Nagata growled as he turned and head for where his sons were currently in the house. “I have had enough of your brother Juro’s attitude to last a lifetime.”

Ren was just about to start lathering up his hair when he heard the shoji to the bathroom open then close. He instinctively reached for the towel that was hanging from the hook to cover himself. “Relax Ren, it’s just me.”

The voice of Yoshi had him turning to face her while covering himself with the towel. “Aunt Yoshi, please, I’m trying to bathe here.”

“That is why I’m here Ren.” Yoshi answered with a smile as she dropped her robe. Hanging her towel on the hook next to where his was Yoshi reached over and took the towel he was using to hide behind. “Relax Ren, it’s just us girls in here. Besides, you don’t have anything I haven’t seen before.”

“Um… aunt Yoshi what if grandmother comes in?” Ren was really worried now.

Yoshi smiled to put her niece at easy. Yes, she had seen through Ren’s Raymond disguises to the girl underneath. “Ren, I know that you’re a girl at heart. As for you grandparents, there is no need to worry. They are both very open minded about LGBT lifestyles. They also both spotted what I have.”

“HOW?” Ren practically screamed in fear. He would have if not for his self-control.

“They saw you walking from your room to here on the rōka. You failed to walk like a young man would. They saw the girl that you are, even from the back.” Yoshi told him honestly. She was not yet ready to rub Ren’s nose in his gender identity. “So, are you really a girl under all the bluster?”

Ren looked down at her hands at the shampoo there and started to cry as she nodded her head. Yoshi pulled the very distraught teen to her and hugged Ren for all she was worth. Yoshi knew that the teen’s secret was now out in the open, and she had a place to start. Kissing Ren on top of the head she leaned back. “Come on kiddo, we need to finish getting cleaned up. Your grandmother has a surprise for you.”

An hour later the two walked out of the bathroom washed and refreshed from their long trip. Yoshi followed Ren back to her room. As Ren pulled the shoji open she was brought up short by what was waiting for her in the room. More like who was waiting for her in the room. Mitsuko, and her aunt Momoko were sitting on the floor with two kimono racks between them. On each rack hung a solid black kimono. Only these were no ordinary kimonos, they were Mofuku. A mofuku is formal mourning dress for men or women. Both men and women wear kimono of plain black silk with five kamon over white undergarments and white tabi. For women, the obi and all accessories are also black. Men wear a subdued obi and black and white or black and gray striped hakama with black or white zori. The completely black mourning ensemble is usually reserved for family and others who are close to the deceased. Other than the fact that one was smaller than the other the two outfits were identical.

The three older women took Ren by the hand and led her inside the room. For the next hour they helped the teen dress in the mofuku that her mother had worn for her grandfather’s funeral years before Ren was born. Whenever Ren tried to ask a question her grandmother would just place a figure over Ren’s lips. Ren got the hint that she was to say nothing for now. When her aunt Momoko started to apply makeup to her face Ren started to feel scared. That was until her grandmother smiled and hugged the teen whispering in her ear that it was alright. That her grandfather had approved. By the time they were done Ren hair had been pulled up into a tight bun at the back of her head. While her face took on the appearance of a modern Japanese teenage girl. The more that Momoko worked on Ren’s face the more Ren’s feminine features showed. All three of the Nagata women were stunned by Ren’s finished look. All three would have sworn that Mishi had returned from the dead.

Even Yoshi who has spent more time around Ren than all of them was having problems not seeing her dead sister in Ren’s face. If it had not been for the deep green of Ren’s eyes no one would ever think that she was not fully Japanese. Ren’s aunt Momoko had used her skills with cosmetics to bring out the color of Ren’s eyes. Momoko had pushed her skills to style Ren’s hair into an appropriate style for the wake. The bun was tight, and her bangs fell to the right.

Once she was done, Ren helped her aunt Yoshi to get ready. Soon all three of the Nagata elder ladies and Ren were ready to face their guests. Momoko stopped Ren before they left her room. “Ren, do you have a picture of your parents together?”

Ren looked around for her suitcases. “I have my parents wedding album in my suitcases aunt Momoko. There is a picture of them together in that. Will that do?”

Mitsuko smiled and answered. “That will be perfect Ren. Do you know which suitcases it is in? Or do I need to have your uncles bring them all in?”

Thinking quickly about which suitcase the album was in Ren smiled. “It’s in my medium travel case, grandmother. The one with the blue ribbon on the handle.”

Mitsuko smiled and walked over to the tansu opening the doors. Inside was the aforementioned suitcase. “Is this the one dear?”

“Yes ma’am. That’s the one. Let me get that for your?” Ren moved quickly and pulled out the suitcase. Within a few moments she had the suitcase open and the photo album in hand. She ran her left hand around the outer edge of the album. “When I first saw this album, I didn’t know what it was. This is their wedding album.”

Ren opened it up to show her relatives the first picture inside. Momoko had never seen the wedding pictures of her dead sister-in-law. Only Yoshi and Mitsuko had seen the pictures as they were in part of them. Mitsuko placed her hand on the bottom of the page. When she sighed Mitsuko looked Ren in the eyes.

“Your mother was so beautiful that day. And your so hansom in his uniform. I remember the day that Mishi first brought your father home to meet us. Oh the fighting that followed was worthy of the Gods.” Mitsuko chuckled. “Your grandfather was so upset over his baby girl falling in love with an American. A military man no less. I thought that we were going to have to call for the emergency response teams. Oh, my, I’ll never forget that day.”

“It couldn’t be no worse than me coming home that one time with pink and yellow hair mom. Or when Mitsu brought his girlfriend with all the tattoos home. Or Jiro’s roommate that had the orange hair.” Yoshi joked.

“My dear, of all our children only Mishi ever pissed off your father the way she did. It wasn’t so much that she was marrying an American GI. It was the fact that he never asked for permission first.” This was all news to Ren and she was soaking up the stories of her relatives’ lives. What was shocking was that her father would propose before getting permission from her grandfather. Seeing the disbelief in Ren’s eyes Mitsuko just chuckled. “Yes, dear. Your mother and father were a pair of radicals in their younger years.”

The four of them sat there flipping through the album with Mitsuko or Yoshi telling the stories behind the pictures in the first half of the book. When they got past the wedding pictures Ren was the one to tell the stories for the pictures. It was in the last few pages that they found the picture they would use at the funeral. It showed Mishi with Steve in uniform holding her from behind in front of the 566th MP Detachment sign at Fort Knox. Ren gently placed her hand on the picture.

“I remember the day this picture was take. We had just arrived at Fort Knox. Dad wanted to see where his new unit was on post. We drove for two hours looking for the Provost Marshal’s office and the MP Detachment Head Quarters. Dad had made the mistake of coming in through the South Gate at Fort Knox. When we finally found the Detachment HQ he pulled mom into a hug out front of the Unit sign. He told me to get the camera. He said he wanted a picture to remember the day. I took this one. The next day we all went back and took one more.” Ren flipped the page to show the second picture. It show them standing side-by-side in front of the sign. “This was the day he took charge as the First Sergeant for the five-six-six.”

Yoshi looked over at her mother and nodded her head. Mitsuko gently lifted the picture from the photo album. The older women all noticed that it was the last picture in the album. Mitsuko handed the picture to Momoko then pulled a handkerchief from inside her kimono to wipe away the tears that threatened to ruin Ren’s makeup. “We understand the pain dear. We miss them too. Just remember that so long as someone remembers them they are never truly gone. When the time comes you will sit and tell your children of your lovely mother, and hansom father. Of how he swept her off feet like the dashing rogue that he was. Oh, yes, Ren. Your father was a true rogue of the first order.”

“He was also one of the most honorable men I have had the pleasure to know.” The voice of her grandfather had Ren spinning on her knees. Light Nagata walked in off the rōka and knelt next to Ren. He placed a hand on Ren’s shoulder. “I have been waiting patiently to meet my newest granddaughter. I became worried that you might have changed your mind. I know that your father would not want to you to hide any longer. Trust in me dear. I know what I’m talking about.”

“Do you really think that my father would have accepted me, sir?” Ren asked with a quivering lip. This meant more to her than anything else.

“I know he would have dear. He was not a closed mind person by any stretch.” He started to chuckle then pointed at Yoshi. “He put up with your crazy aunt when I couldn’t. He even helped her get her start in business.”

Yoshi took issue with being called crazy by her father. “HEY! I’m not crazy. I’m delightfully demented, slightly eccentric, and totally in the fashion grove.”

Light just chuckled at his daughter then patted her on the head. “We know dear. Ren please have patience with your aunt. We are counting on you to keep her from going too far around the bend and into true insanity.”

Ren giggled at her grandfather sad almost pleading look. “I’ll try grandpa.”

“Good girl.” He looked over at the picture in Momoko’s hands. “May I?” was all he asked as he took the picture to get a better look. “We were so proud the day your mother called and told us your father made First Sergeant. Was this taken in front of his last unit?”

“Yes sir.” Ren answered quietly. She almost didn’t trust her voice to answer.

“It will be perfect for the wake.” With that he stood up and held out his hand to Ren. “Come along we have guests that are due to arrive soon.”

Ren took his hand and let him lead her towards the front of the house. Ren was worried about how her uncles would receive her as they neared the living room. If it had not been for her grandfather and grandmother Ren would have run at the first chance. As they entered the living room Light Nagata called for his sons’ attention.

“Boys, allow me to introduce your niece, Ren. Juro if you have a problem remember that she is part of this family. I am still the head of the family. You are free to leave after the funeral and have no further contact with her. But you will show her and this family respect by keeping your opinion to yourself. Am I understood?”

All three men bowed to their father. Jiro, and Mitsu both walked up to Ren first. They each hugged her and welcomed her to the family. Juro looked at Ren with wide eyes and wonder as he approached her. With trembling hands, he cupped her chin. “If not for the eyes I would swear by all our ancestors that I was looking at Mishi.”

Yoshi, Mitsuko, and Momoko had walked in as he was staring at Ren’s face. When Jiro heard his oldest brother’s comment he took a long hard look at Ren. Jiro’s response was to hit Mitsu and point. “He’s right. If not for the eyes we would be looking at Mishi. Only she would have to be about fifteen.”

“You idiot that is how Mishi looked at fifteen.” Mitsu snapped gruffly. Mitsu saw that Ren was becoming uncomfortable with all the attention. “Juro, Jiro, both of you knock it off. You’re scaring the poor girl.”

Juro just pulled Ren close and hugged the shivering teen. “Sorry Ren. It’s just your appearance caught me totally off guard with how much you look like your mother.”

When he pulled back Ren sighed and looked her uncle Juro in the face after swallowing down her fear. “I think I understand uncle Juro. You’re not the only one to telling me how much I looked like mom.”

Looking around at her family Ren decided with her secret now exposed to just get it all out in the open. “On more than one occasion mom and I were confused as sisters. The one time we dressed as geisha for Halloween everyone just knew we were sisters. Mom always thought it was funny.”

“I imagen that she would, Ren. Our oldest sister had a wicked sense of humor.” Mitsu chuckled. “Her pranks got me into trouble more than once. Not too mention the number of times that Juro was the butt of her jokes.”

With that the three uncles and one aunt gathered around the teen and told her stories of her mother’s jokes. While they were doing this Light Nagata placed the picture of his oldest daughter and only son-in-law in a black picture frame. Mitsuko, and Momoko joined Ren and the others on the floor. Light just took his time as he setup the family alter for the wake. He knew that the priest would be there shortly to bless everything. The family had arranged for the two types of offering incense to be ready on the alter.

There was Makko or incense powder that takes a little skill to know how to use. First using the thumb, index, middle of your right hand, you take a pinch of the powder incense. Then lowering your head slightly bring it to your forehead before sprinkling them into the incense burner. This is repeated between 1-3 times. The number of times for this process depends on the religious sect. Then there was Senko or incense sticks. As with the Makko there is a certain way in how they are used. First you pick up the incense using your right hand and light it with the candle. The number of senko may number 1-3, depending on the religious sect. Use your left hand to put out the flame, being very careful never to blow it out. Place it into the incense burner. Again, depending on the religious sect, the incense will either be laid down or set standing up. Place your senko slightly apart from others and toward the rear section, to prevent smoke from clouding together. Also, this allows other attendees following you to have enough space to place their own incense. Unlike his wife and children, Light Nagata was not as spiritually inclined. But he did respect those that were. That was why he had arranged for both types of incense to be there for the guests.

Light had arranged for Nori and her husband to greet all the visitors to the wake. At just after six that evening the first guests started to arrive. Ren was surprised by the number of people who came to his parents wake. They came from all walks of life. There were business men with their wives. Construction workers and their wives. Military servicemen, both officers and enlisted, from both the Japanese SDF and the US Army. Ren must have heard ‘You must be grieving terribly.’ or ‘I offer my condolences.’ Over two hundred times that night. When the last guest finally left around two that morning Ren was dead on her feet.

Mitsuko had Light carry their granddaughter to her room where she undressed the teen and got her ready for bed. Once Ren was tucked into bed Mitsuko left the teen to sleep. As she was closing the shoji Light looked in over her shoulder. “She is so much like Mishi that it hurts. I hope you’re ready for another generation of hellions love. A generation lead by this one.”

-----tbc-----

up
409 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Interesting!

Monique S's picture

I do not know much about Japanese culture. Would the gentle acceptance of her grndfather and grandmother be unusual?

I have read that transvestites and transgender are more openly accepted in Tokyo, but in the countryside and reasonably long ago? Well, one lives and learns.

Nice story!
Monique.

Monique S

I can answer that

wolfjess7's picture

Thanks to my time in Japan first as a US servicemen then as a civilian contractor I spent a good deal of time among the Japanese. To them family is the most important thing in the world. Only the most hard line bigots turn their backs on their families. I worked with a lot of family men and was invited to many dinners at their homes. As a trans woman I was welcomed in more than a few homes. Even when I was introduced to their elders I was accepted. I believe that their attitude towards the transgender comes more from the attitude of who the judge people on their work first. The hard you work the more you are respected.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Well that is a good question

Last time I looked into the matter was over a decade ago and it was best described as ‘grudging’ and the amazement that transwomen would behave as any other women *rolls eyes*.

I have less than ideal feelings for the Japanese due to what they did to China. Their distrust of outsiders only enforces the point that they consider outsiders as not quite as ‘people’ as they are. They have no choice but to accept Americans as roughly peers as they did surrender to them.

It is sad that America is becoming hostile to outsiders also.

As an Asian-American whose Caucasian countrymen have grudgingly recognized that as a group, Asians have earn their place in the US, one must wonder when we will reach the point where we all get judged equally for our contributions and not by how we look.

The idea of non-Asians are not quite 'people' extends to

Asians living in the country, at least in one personal instance. I have one person to whose department I provide IT support as a contractor, complain to the team leader that I was an incompetent gajin, wanting to know how I was qualified to do the job I'd been hired to do. I put this squarely on her, and not the community at large.

Remembrance, Acceptance, Love.

Steph's picture

Wonderful writing Jess, such a lovely chapter! Ren's true self is allowed to emerge, soon followed by heart-wrenching grief as she finally allows herself to grieve the loss of her parents. All this done in the presence of the heart-warming acceptance and love given to her by her grandparents, aunts and uncles...I'm sure your words touched many hearts as well as mine. Kudos hon.

Steph

I think I am going to like this story

WillowD's picture

even more for the glimpses into the Japanese culture than for the awesome story line and lovable characters.

Cultures

My5InchFMHeels's picture

With our culture in the states, it makes me really glad to see cultures like this that accept people more freely. Family should always be accepted for who they are and how they choose to live, the fact that that acceptance comes rather difficulty here, when we are supposed to be a melting pot has always confused me.

Thanks for another great chapter Jess!

i am in love

Wendy Jean's picture

with this story,I am not a major fan of anamai, Though I did love ghost in the shell,While it was on

Great chapter!

Aside from loving this chapter, I would have had Ren respond differently to:

Ren’s uncle Juro took a step back then finally turned to face Ren. “Does the boy even speak Japanese?” Then he asked of Ren in English with a heavy accent. “Do you understand what I’m saying?”

This way: Yes uncle, I can understand your English. (After all, he didn’t ask which language. Yoshi can reach over and undo the ponytail.)

LOL

Ren could have also stated that he understood his uncles Japanese perfectly but his English was heavily accented and difficult to understand :)

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Nope

Nope, Ren would hold off and greet his grandparents in proper formal manner while addressing them in perfect Japanese.

I am loving learning a little

I am loving learning a little about the Japanese culture. I know a couple things that I was taught by a friend in the AF back in the 1960s; but with exception of an 18 hr layover at Yakota AB, never been to Japan. Great story indeed, and I do see great things coming to Ren and Yoshi.

I am loving learning a little

I am loving learning a little about the Japanese culture. I know a couple things that I was taught by a friend in the AF back in the 1960s; but with exception of an 18 hr layover at Yakota AB, never been to Japan. Great story indeed, and I do see great things coming to Ren and Yoshi.

for some strange reason the screen

Got real blurry while reading this chapter. Although several Kleenex seemed to have corrected that problem :)

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

If only........

D. Eden's picture

We all had such understanding families........

It becomes more and more obvious to me that there is a deepseated fear of those who are different in this country. It truly shames me that such ignorance thrives here in a country that once prided itself on being accepting of others.

Perhaps we should remember the words carved on the Statue of Liberty, or for those who claim to be religious, perhaps we should remember the words of Jesus, “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.”

I know that I am far from perfect - I will truly be called to task for my sins some day. But until that day, I will do all that I can to atone for them. How can anyone who claims to be a Christian do otherwise? How can anyone who claims to be a Christian not love all people in the example of Ren’s family?

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Personal Anecdote

Regarding the bigotry displayed by many Americans. In college I had a good friend that was of French descent. Our teacher was an educated 'good ol' boy'. One day in class he was telling us that even controlled immigration was bad for the country and if we wanted to follow the true meaning of the Constitution we needed to stop allowing immigration. Cheri had already "gone to the mat" with him several times about some of his statements of "the true facts". It was easy to tell she was first or second generation American and he barely concealed his loathing for her.

So this particular day she once again protested his comments and said something to the effect 'What about the Statue of Liberty, doesn't it say "Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breath free."?

He immediately snapped back 'Yes, Miss L (name redacted); but it was given to us by the French'!

I'm sure if he's still alive he's a trump voter.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Brava!

Justine du Monde's picture

This is some of of your best work. I anxiously await every chapter, and am never disappointed.

Fashion Beast

My blog

Great story

I love the characters and the incredible realism and detail. Although I must say I have no clue on Japanese culture or really the country as a whole but I'm pretty sure with the level of authorial craft evidenced here, It would likely be impossible for me to tell reality from fiction even with a culture and country I know well. Keep up the fantastic work!

Gah I hate waiting 2 weeks

Gah I hate waiting 2 weeks for the next amazing chapter though at least we get a reprieve with the amazing racing angels in between

Once again...

You have written something wonderful. It's just as impossible to put down as your other works. Now I'll just have to find some way to entertain myself until the next chapter.

-Winlyn

Morpheous was the first author

Wendy Jean's picture

to acquaint me to Lolita goth in Steel Ribbon. I googled the word and came away still confused, I could see myself going for it if I ever get healthy again. I would like to be a girly girl.

Open mouth insert foot chew rigorously

Jamie Lee's picture

Yoshi saw the resemblance right away when she first saw Raymond, and how feminine he looked. She also saw something more that Raymond revealed as the drove.

Yoshi had look at the whole boy without regard to his father's traits in the boy. Except for Juro Raymond was accepted as family by the others. Juro, on the other hand, resented the family accepting the "mixed breed" boy before him, and due to his ignorance about Raymond did make an ass out himself by assuming Raymond was nothing but ignorant. But by the way responded he rubbed Juro's nose in it without actually doing so. He also showed he was the bigger of the two when he helped Juro save face by what he added.

Yoshi was worried how the family would accept Raymond as Ren but had that taken away when Light watched Ren walk to the shower. Raymond himself won the family over, without further discussion from Yoshi, just by walking to take a shower.

While the shower walk changed many minds it was seeing Ren after she was dressed and Momoko worked her magic with makeup that really changed minds. Especially Juro when he finally saw what Yoshi saw first, Ren was a spitting of her mom.

Others have feelings too.

Well, that was fortunate!

There's Ren wondering about how she's going to tell the family her secret and what their reaction will be, while Aunt Yoshi, Gran Mitsoku and Grandad Light have figured it out for themselves, plus Yoshi quickly quells her new niece's fears. So potentially the most awkward situation regarding Ren and family has been quickly resolved.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!