Coming out from undercover - Part 8

Printer-friendly version

ACC Bishop called later in the day with some news. She told us that she’d managed to get a prominent Journalist to agree to interview me on the understanding that no manipulation of my words would be done post interview. We all felt better for this as despite my former colleague being arrested and charged with numerous offenses, the press seemed to be having a feeding frenzy with my past. Many facts were being reported about me, most of which were simply fiction. This made me angry. Mary did her best to calm me down and tell me that my side of the story would be told in due course.

The she asked,
“Did Sergeant Pratt go anywhere in the house apart from the hallway after you dialled ‘999’?”

“No Ma’am. I made sure that no one went anywhere else. I didn’t want to contaminate the crime scene.”

“Thank you very much, Tamara. That is very interesting. In that case, it is very likely that Sergeant Pratt is probably going to be charged with murder or at very least accessory to Murder. You may well be called on to make an additional statement to that effect.”

I couldn’t get any more out of her at that point in time. Something was going on but I could not put my finger on it.

It was Max who gave us the whole story a few hours later.
“After a lot of searching, the van that was used to transport you away from your home was found in a lockup in St Albans. The lockup was being rented in Ian Pratt’s name. CCTV showed him driving the van at only one place between your flat and St Albans. Being a Police Officer obviously helped them know where all the CCTV and ANPR cameras are located. Once at the Lockup, you were transferred to a smaller van. We found that van parked in the garage where you were held captive. We found a hood with your DNA and the DNA of five other victims on it in the back. SOCO found both Ian Pratt and Dan Carpenter’s fingerprints in both vans.”

“So, they were in it together?”

“It seems that way. SOCO also found his prints on several of the ‘trophy jars’.”

“But… but why didn’t he recognise me in Finchley?”

“The only thing that we can think of is that you were kept hooded all the time and that Mr Carpenter was the one who tasered you, and it looks like Sergeant Pratt just did the driving.”

I sat for a while thinking… ‘if only I hadn’t jumped on the first tube train…’.

I was in a bit of a fug for several more days despite everyone’s best efforts.

The final straw for me to start reacting was a story about a so-called girlfriend of mine from school in Nottingham. The woman in question was telling the world that her daughter was mine and that I’d bedded her after the ‘prom’. I’d never even gone to the stupid thing let alone had sex with her. Mary consoled me with the fact that I’d get my say the following day when we met with the journalist.


Max sent a driver to take me to the meeting with the journalist. This was to take place on or close the beach at Seaford in Sussex. Thankfully, the day was warm and dry. The driver took me to Lewes where we met Max and new face.

“Tamara, this is Mark Lewis. He’s a lawyer. He will make sure that the record of the interview is recorded and faithfully reprinted in the paper tomorrow. I have a signed contract with the paper that your words won’t be negatively edited or extraneous facts introduced. This is all about facts and getting your side of the story into the press.”

I shook his hand.

“Pleased to meet you Mr Lewis.”

“Likewise.”

He smiled at me and said quietly.

“I have a number of clients like you so please don’t think of me as an enemy.”

I felt relieved at this. The last thing I wanted was a lawyer who didn’t understand what I was going through.

I got in the car with him after Max explained that the journalist was being ferried to the interview by helicopter. This was so we could be sure that he was not followed by half a dozen photographers with very long lenses and parabolic microphones.

I’d made it clear that this was to be a one on one interview right from the outset. Mr Lewis was strictly there as a referee but, the rest of the media would be out for blood if they knew where I was going to be.


I returned to the house almost four hours later exhausted from the session. I’d put over my story in a way that I’d hoped would stop the more sensational stories from coming out. I’d made it clear that I was not the father of any child and that I’d be more than willing to take a DNA test to prove that point. I’d also said that false allegations like that were libel and that damages would be sought from all parties concerned.

Max grilled Mark about the interview and pronounced himself satisfied with the result. Mark gave Max the tape of the interview and was taken back to London by the driver who’d collected me from the Hamilton’s home that morning.

Once they’d gone, Max asked me,

“Are you sure that you want to take that DNA test?” he asked referring to the claim that I was the father of a child from my time in Nottingham.

“Absolutely. That’s why I said that very thing to the journalist.”

I looked him in the eye before adding,

“Before Mary and I had sex, I was a virgin but naturally no one else needs to know that.”

He laughed and a big grin appeared on his face.

“I think I can keep that kind of secret but if it goes to trial then you may have to testify to that very fact.”

He thought for a second or two.

“However, let me make a few calls and line up a company to do the testing. That way we can put the pressure on the other side over this. If we put them on the defensive then they might just fold their hand.”

“Mark suggested that I sue for defamation. I’ve had a think about it and I have decided that I want to go ahead with that. Those liars need to be taken down a peg or two. It would not surprise me if they were being paid a lot of money by a newspaper or other media company. The lies about my fathering a child, are just beyond the pale. I want to fight back. I want them and the people behind it to pay dearly for this. I want every last penny they received from the press and damages from the papers and the editors. I’ll make it clear that I’m giving it to charity but they need to know that printing lies without even cursory fact checking is not the way to run a business.”

“Good for you,” replied Max with a rare grin on his face.

“But I want to keep Mary out of this as much as possible. She has a son in Northern Ireland and I really don’t want him involved if at all possible.”

“I get the message. I’ll put a few of my guys onto it. If the media start taking an interest, we may have to move him. I take it Caitlin still has custody.”

Hearing her proper name for the first time in more than two months brought me back to reality with a bang.

“Yes. Yes, she does.”

“Good then I’ll get the paperwork sorted out. We don’t want the PSNI[1] to get all uppity and talk about charging my guys with kidnapping now do we?”

I had to agree with that.

“If you are ready, then I think we should be getting back to Cranleigh?”

“Yes, we should.”


We all looked anxiously for the reports in the following days papers. The other dailies seemed to have gotten wind of my interview and had considerably reduced the level of scandal being reported.

My interview was as promised printed in full with minimal editing and only to emphasise the context. I felt relieved that at last my story had been told honestly.

The so-called mother of my child was served with a writ later that day as were the editors of the three daily newspapers that had carried the story on their front pages.

Almost immediately the coverage of my part of the case was greatly reduced. The appearance of Ian Pratt and Dan Carpenter in court to answer their charges also helped to divert the attention of the media away from me. Their appearance in court also made the case ‘sub-judice’ and the Judge had not lifted reporting restrictions. That severely limited what could be reported in the mainstream media.

The pair were once again remanded in custody until a later date when he would be committed for trial. Max reported that the latest information coming from the CPS was that Ian Pratt was going to plead ‘Not Guilty by reason of mental deficiency’. We all knew he was mad but we all felt slightly cheated by this attempt to escape justice. He was mad but not that mad.

Mary and I moved back to our place in Finchley and tried to get some order back into our life now that the press had been calmed down.

On our first evening there, I sat Mary down and began to lay out my thoughts.

“Going into work every day and being treated as a woman and not as a man in a dress was… well, nice. As time went by, I realised that would probably not happen if I remained a Police Officer.”

Mary took hold of my hand.

“I guessed as much. As I got to know you I felt that you going back to work as a female DC was going to be even more of a problem that I’d imagined.”

I gave her a little peck on the lips.

“If you want me to recant on my acceptance of your proposal then I will. I have to be unselfish. For years, I have thought of no one but myself. Then I fell in love with you. I can’t ask you to change everything like I can. You have a son to think about.”

Mary looked me right in the eyes.

“There are times when I wish I’d never had Liam. Thankfully, they are few and far between. I’m his mother but I know that I’ve not been a very good one. I’ve left him with my parents and got on with my own life. Don’t you think I feel guilty?”

I saw two tears form in her eyes.

“I’m in love with you. For the first time in my life, I’m in love with someone. But why on earth did it have to be you? Isn’t my life complicated enough already.”

One of the tears rolled down her cheek.

“Then, when you went missing, I realised that it didn’t matter, I just wanted to be with you.”

I knew better than to bring up the thorny subject of Liam.

“So, what do we do?” I asked.

“I think we should speak to Max. Perhaps he will have something for an experienced ex Police officer?”

It took a lot of effort not to burst out laughing at her suggestion.

“That might be a good idea. We will also need somewhere to live. My old place is not big enough for the two of us and you were flat sitting. I don’t know how long Max agreed to rent this place for.

Any further discussion was interrupted by my phone going off.

“Hi Max, what’s up?”

“You what? Can you say that again?”

“Well, I never. That is a turn up for the books. I wasn’t expecting that. Thanks for letting us know.”

I was about to hang up when I remembered something.

“Max, how long do we have before we have to move out of here?”

“Ok, that’s good to know. Thanks.”

“Yes, will tomorrow do?”

“Ha-ha. We’ll see you for Lunch.”

I hung up the call with a smile on my face.

“Two bits of good news. Firstly, we have three months before we have to move out of here.”

Mary smiled.

“That’s good. And the second?”

“The crime scene people were going through the phone records of Daniel Carpenter just to see if there was anyone else involved with the murders and they found that he’d been calling the delightful Ian Pratt for a long time. It seems that Ian Pratt and he go back a long way. It seems that Ian Pratt will be facing twelve murder charges rather than the six he currently is. They will be tried together. The CPS has had him examined and three different experts have pronounced him sane and fit to stand trial.”

“Wow! I wasn’t expecting that.”

“Me neither. It makes what he did with the press start to make sense. Whatever happens with his trial, those leaks will mean that he’s finished with the Police.”

Mary was quiet.

“I guess that makes three of us then?”

I looked at her right in the eye. I could see a sense of sadness.

“You don’t have to leave you know? You love being a Police Officer.”

“So, do you. Come on admit it!”

“I do but I know that I don’t have a future in the force. How can I with hair this colour? And these?” I replied looking down at my chest.

Mary laughed and kissed me.

“You could change it you know? The hair I mean.”

“I could do that.”

Mary smiled.

“But you like it don’t you?”

I nodded.

“Do you?”

“I didn’t at first but now? But it grew on me so, yes I do.”

“Then leave as it is then? I don’t think that Sir Richard will object.”

“That is always assuming I take the job that is?”

Mary just grinned back at me as if to say, ‘I know that you will accept and so do you but you just won’t admit it yet’.

[to be continued]

[1]PSNI = Police Service of Northern Ireland

[Authors Note]
The final part of this story will be posted next Monday if I have internet. I'll be somewhere on the Ardnamurchan Peninsula in Western Scotland. I'm staying at a 'Bothy' so it might be that it wll have to wait a few days until I get onto the Island of Mull where the Hotel there does have Internet.
Samantha

up
421 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sad but understandable

The hell of staying in the force is not worth it even if it does change a few minds.

It also means that society still has a ways to go.

I’ve experienced 30 years or so of trangendered life and things are easier in the US.

My gut tells me it will take at least two more generations before we are mostly mainstream.

I may live that long to see it.

Plan for change but expect it won't

Funny, that's how I got on the local department. I was a tofer in their need to show their compliance (ha-ha!) with the Fed. Equality rules. A (transgender) woman and a lesbian. That was two checkboxes.

But it wasn't long before the hidden dislikes against dykes and fairies started manifesting themselves. Inspite of good ratings on all my reviews when they needed a dispatcher/911 operator I got taken off patrol and moved inside. Dispatchers didn't rotate shifts like the field officers so I decided to pickup sone courses at the local university.

Well, the chief didn't like that, he'd already had several officers complete their degrees while working. Officers with a degree and 4-6yrs experience were in high demand and they'd been quickly snatched up by larger departments that could offer higher pay and better benefits. So the chief decided to see to it that nobody could finish their degrees by screwing people around so they couldn't attend classes by jacking with their shifts and such.

I was called into the chief's office and ordered to withdraw from classes as I was causing problems with the shift scheduling. I knew that wasn't true as I had talked to the other dispatchers and they were all good with the schedule. So I refused. After that they jacked with everybody's schedule, making their lives more complicated. They complained and were tokd that it was because my taking classes were causing the problems.

The chief was an ass that way anyway. He never put anything in writing so if something he told us to do upset the local bigwigs he blamed it on us. He'd never ordered us to do whatever it was and we couldn't prove otherwise. Being written up for doing what we were told to do just pissed me off. So I quit.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Guess I am missing something

Wendy Jean's picture

I thought this was Briton? What possible motive does Pratt have to assist the killer? Loving the story as usual. Quit the Monday morning treat!

Rely on Our Author

She'll no doubt further explain the connection in an upcoming posting. For now, we've learned that they were partners in crime.

What did I say about...

a few more twists and turns...?

I'm glad that you liked this episode.

Hopefully, the last part will tie everything up nicely.

Samantha

Serial Killers

You never know the motivation really.

But a police officer being a serial killer?

Google The Golden State Killer.

He was a serial killer and a former police officer.

He has not been formally convicted but the handwriting is on the wall.

The most common motive

Money. When you are being offered more money than you'd legally earn in a year breaking your oath can suddenly become much easier to do.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Someone like that really

Someone like that really needs to remain in the force.
Great little story.
You might like to replace panoramic mike with parabolic.... lol

Ian Pratt

I wondered how involved he was. Hopefully, he goes away for a very long time. Its too bad she cant continue being a police officer, God knows they need better people than Pratt on the force ...

DogSig.png

Catch 22 defence?

"I can't be guilty because I'm mad"
"Only a sane person would think of that, so you can't be mad... See you in court"

Insanity

joannebarbarella's picture

The insanity lies in the murders themselves. You cannot be sane to embark on such an endeavour and derive some twisted demented pleasure from it. However, the legal definition of insanity is whether the perpetrator is capable of telling good from evil and these men clearly knew that their actions were evil.

In this case

Pratt was trying to avoid the trial, so the medical evaluation was about whether he was fit/sane enough to stand the trial process. The problem with that is, if he was deemed unfit for trial, rather than getting his freedom, he could still have been locked up in a secure hospital for his own (and the public's) protection - this would be a medical decision and not a court decision.
If the court finds him insane, then they can choose to send him to a secure hospital rather than prison.
Pratt has forgotten that in both those scenarios he could find him himself locked up indefinitely, as to obtain release he would need to demonstrate his sanity. He may still have to stand trial and/or serve time for his crimes.

This is a layman's understanding and I have not done any research on it

Solid tale

BarbieLee's picture

Samantha managed to hold this story together so tightly it felt like reading chiseled rock. The dialog, the scene, the placement of the actors and actresses was well executed. This is the movie where they go through the script a dozen times and then the director yells, "This is a take." What we see on the screen is the perfection of a lot of hard work from a lot of people. That's this story.
I really truly doubt Samantha had to do a bunch of rewrites to get it this good. Well done.
always
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Aw shucks

You made me blush....

And yes, there were no rewrites. Some minor editing, what you see is as I wrote it.
There were some bits that didn't fit right in the final chapter so I fixed them but is was probably less than 10% of that part.
Very few of my stories have major rewrites.
Sure,I have deleted a few chapters where I end up painting myself into a corner so I go back to a key event and take it in a different direction. That is natural unless you have already detailed every plot twist and turn before you start. That is all part of a work in progress though.

Thanks, and I'm still blushing.

Samantha

I have one question I always

I have one question I always wanted to ask a lawyer or a judge, why is the plea not guilty by reason of insanity,
shouldn't it be guilty by reason of insanity, they're not claiming that they didn't commit the crime they're just claiming that they weren't responsible because they were out of their mind.

Like all her stories they are perfect

An experienced authoress, twisting and turning a story line to make it fun and enjoyable. A master of her craft, a wordsmith of the highest order.
Hugs
Fran Cesca

- Formerly Turnabout Girl

So when does it come out to

So when does it come out to the press and others that Pratt and Carpenter are more than just partners in crime, they are partners in the true sense of the word? I am of the belief that is the link everyone is missing so far, and that one or both are ashamed of they being Gay and that is the underlying reason for the killings of the women. All based on some girl(s) or woman/women belittling them "back when" for being such.

All will be revealled

in the Ninth and final part of the story.
Samantha

Toilet about to get flushed

Jamie Lee's picture

The rug got turned and the cockroaches were exposed to the light. Once exposed they tried to keep from ending up where they now reside.

But they made a mistake taking their last victim as that was their undoing. Even the morons of the media were used in order to discredit the last victim witness to one of their crimes. But as that victim fought back and won, so she fought back against the media, and old former girlfriend, to keep them from spreading more lies.

Mental defect might have been believed had the pair not planned their attacks. Planning takes rational thought, not to mention how not to get caught at that time.

Pratt and friend are cooked, with no hope of getting out of their current situation or undoing everything a lot of people now know. Their best bet is to throw themselves on the mercy of the court before they go to trial. If a jury hears what the two did those two will be lucky they ever see the sun outside of prison walls. If they live that long.

Others have feelings too.