A Birthday Reunion

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

Permission: 

To celebrate a whole two years since my ‘divorce’ I decided to get dolled up and go out.

You must understand that I don’t normally do that but for once, I decided that I’d go out in a bit of ‘glam’.

My desire to wear my ex wife’s clothes was what led up to the divorce despite Paula knowing about Suzi before we got married. In the end, the fact that I often looked better in her clothes was sometimes just too much for her.

Anyway, I went the whole hog and got fully dressed right down to gluing on some false breasts, applying three coats of nail polish and a full set of war paint plus my best black wig.

My normal attire was… well very subdued. Simple and dull is the order of the day, week and year. Since I started living as a woman I’ve been literally hiding in plain sight. That suited me down to a tee. Like most Transgendered people we did not want attention unlike some celebrities that you could name.

The final part of my ‘glad rags outfit’ was to put on the new dress and coat that I’d bought a few weeks earlier.

I did some preening in the mirror and to be frank, I felt a whole lot better just then than I’d felt for weeks.

I picked up my handbag, keys and walked out the front door with the sound of my new high heels echoing on the pavement.

I got in my car and headed for the coast on a lovely clear night.

*

By the time I reached the sea, a breeze had blown up and it was a fair bit colder than earlier but I didn’t mind.

I parked the car and got out. As it did so, the wind nearly took my wig off.

With a smile on my face, I pulled out a silk scarf from my handbag and put it on.

After locking the car up, I started walking along the seafront. The onshore breeze on this late October night had driven many home early but I didn’t mind at all.

I was just enjoying walking along in my finery. I was promenading just like the thousands of Victorians and Edwardians had done on this very spot all those years ago. The pier entertainments were in full swing. The neon lights producing a myriad of colours on the water.

After an hour or so, my feet started to get a bit sore so I headed back to my car.

As I walked up to my car, someone got out of a car parked just a bit further along from mine.

I looked up and stopped dead in my tracks.

It was Paula.

She was grinning from ear to ear as she came up to me.

“I thought I’d find you here tonight.”

I tried to say something but the words just wouldn’t come out.

Eventually I managed to say,

“What… what are you doing here?”

“Looking for you.”

“Have you come to gloat over why we broke up? That was one of the reasons why we got divorced?”

“No. No I didn’t.”

“Why aren’t you out somewhere celebrating your freedom with what’s his name? Oh yes, Johannes. Did I get the name right?”

“No. I’m not. He’s history. I soon realised he wasn’t for me.”

“So why are you here?”

“Sometimes Suzi, you are as think as two short planks. I came here to see you.”

“Well, now you’ve seen me,” I said indignantly.

Paula ignored me and gave me a little smile.

“You really look good you know.”

Her comment made me look at her a bit closer. She’d lost a lot of the weight she’d put on in our last year together. From what I could see from under her coat, she’d lost it in all the right places.

“Can we go somewhere to talk?” asked Paula.

“Where do you suggest? Somewhere public so everyone can laugh at me?” I replied indignantly as I remembered the scene that had ultimately led to our separation.

She shook her head.

“I know that last time really hurt you. I was so very wrong. But frankly Suzi, the way you look now, I’d be happy to go anywhere with you just now. I just couldn’t handle the competition from someone so close to me.”

“What are you saying Paula?”

She sighed.

“I’m so sorry Suzi. I’ve missed you so much. Can you forgive me?”

Tears started to form in my eyes.

I’d missed her so much. Hardly a day went by without me remembering the good times we’d had together.

“I can if you can accept that Suzi will be around all the time?”

“What? What are you saying?”

“Last week my doctor agreed that I should start having hormone treatment. From now on, Suzi is here to stay.”

I added, “Today is Suzi’s birthday, I started the treatment today.”

It took her a few seconds to realise what I’d just said.

Paula didn’t bother saying anything but instead, she took me in her arms and kissed me.

Then she whispered, “Happy Birthday Suzi.”

[The End]

up
435 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hope for the future

I know a few people whose relationship survived transition. Mine didn't and its been 12 years now. Still, more and more I hear about relationships surviving, and new ones forming. Light at the end of the tunnel?

Gwen

Nice ending

makes a half of good story. This is really good one.

nicely done

Nicely done.

To quote a famous song "you don't know what you got until it's gone" which was exactly what we see there. She loves Suzie, hopefully she can grow to accept her true form as time goes on.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Two years

SWEET!

Nice

Jamie Lee's picture

Perhaps the breakup was best to allow the dust to settle. Allowing both of them to reevaluate their lives together. And who they were in love with.

Others have feelings too.

Wonderful

I wish that in under 900 words, I could tell a complete story like you can.

900 words

Thanks for the nice comment Karen.
I have another story that will be posted here in a month or so called '1000 words'.

This one came out short by accident but I set myself a target of telling a story in exactly 1000 words. I used the Australian/New Zealand TV series '800 words' as inspiration.
Since I wrote this, I think my writing has gotten quite a bit more descriptive which is why I chose 1000 words.
Samantha

Perfect!

Lucy Perkins's picture

Awww Thank you for writing such a lovely story. It is sadly true that many relationships fail to cope with the pressure of a transition.. I can honestly say that your story here rings very true to me. Fortunately my gorgeous ex- wife too agreed that having a loving wife is one of the great joys life offers....and I enjoy every minute of being that loving wife.

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."