A Piece in the Game of Gods part 24

Printer-friendly version

I looked around at the gathered champions, seeing some familiar faces and taking note of those who were absent. There was no sign of either the Gimp, or the guy with the giant wolf. A couple others were missing too, though I hadn’t actually met those ones before. Had they been killed off too many times to bring back, or had Robe gotten to them, removing them from the game in an even nastier way? I’d probably never know.

Once I was done looking over the competition, I turned my attention to my friends. Matt and Teri stood beside me, both of them wearing their new armor. Teri had grown just a little more muscular since our last competition, which along with her armor, made her look a little dangerous. Matt didn’t have the physical presence of his sister, but he had his paintball gun slung over his shoulder, and as he’d proven with Spear Chick, he knew how to use it.

Cassandra stood nearby with her blow slung over her shoulder. I took a moment to admire her curves, then quickly looked away before she caught me doing it. However, from the satisfied smirk on her lips, I was pretty sure that she knew.

It had been three days since we’d gotten a little tipsy and kissed, and though there hadn’t been a repeat of that, or even a conversation about what had happened, something had definitely changed between us. Ever since then, Cassandra had been subtly encouraging me to check her out, whether it was bending over to give me a better look at her cleavage, or walking in front of me with an extra sway to her hips. I still wasn’t sure what to think of this flirting. Was she messing with me to amuse herself, or was she actually interested in me?

“You know,” Matt said with a thoughtful look. “This is a lot of trouble to go through, just to entertain some bored gods.”

“I don’t think they consider this entertainment,” I responded, remembering some of the things that Maelyne had told me. “I think it’s more of a cold war situation. They’re really at war, just fighting each other with pawns and proxies instead of putting each other into a position where things might go nuclear…”

“That…makes sense,” Matt admitted. Then he gave me an odd look. “I’d expect sports metaphors from you, or even gaming ones…but not political.”

I shrugged at that. “I did a history report once on the cold war…”

Matt snorted at that. “I remember. In fact, I remember helping you work on it too…”

“Hey,” Teri said, elbowing me in the side. “That Coordinator guy is about to talk…”

I looked up to the invisible platform, where the Coordinator, the Referee, and the Cleaner stood. They began the same way they did with the last two competitions, with the Coordinator announcing what the contest would be. This time, it was going to be a race, with the first champion who crossed the finish line being declared the winner.

“Sounds simple enough,” I said, though I knew better than to assume that simple meant easy.

Then I realized something else. This was a race, not a relay or team competition. That meant, this time, Cassandra was my competition. From her grim expression, she was thinking the same thing.

“Great,” I grumbled, not at all happy with that. Cassandra and I worked well as a team, and I REALLY didn’t want to face her as an opponent, and not only because she was my friend.

I took another look around and saw Don looking towards us. He gave me a nod of acknowledgement. Nadine, however, was standing beside Robe and her other two teammates from the last competition, and was giving me a dirty look. I was just thankful that looks couldn’t kill. At least not hers, though I wasn’t certain about all the other champions.

“Good luck,” Cassandra told me before grinning. “Just not too much.”

“Same to you,” I told her. Then with a grin, I impulsively asked, “Wanna bet which of us gets to the finish line first?”

Cassandra’s eyes lit up with interest. “What are the stakes?”

“How about the same ones as last time?” I suggested.

Cassandra’s grinned more broadly. “You’re on.”

“What bet was this?” Matt asked.

Before I could answer, or at least come up with a believable lie since I wasn’t about to admit to wearing makeup, the Referee called out the start of the race. Nearly everyone began running in an attempt to get an early lead.

The first part of the race was through downtown, though I wasn’t sure which town, or if they’d created it the same way that they had the dungeon. All I knew was that it certainly looked like a real city center, though there were absolutely no people present besides us.

I ran down the middle of the street, with Matt and Teri right beside me. There were cars, but they were all parked right in the middle of the street, as though the drivers had simply stopped, gotten out, and walked away. It was actually pretty creepy.

Even though this contest was just a race, fights were already starting to break out among various competitors. Off to the side, I could see Spear Chick and the magical girl fighting it out. At any other time, I might have stopped to watch, but I couldn’t afford that.

“See you at the finish line,” Cassandra exclaimed, before she abruptly changed direction and ran down an alley, probably to try finding a shortcut.

“Think we should follow her?” Matt asked.

I remembered the way Cassandra had somehow gotten on top of the building during her fight against Mary, when I hadn’t even seen her moving. “No. I have a feeling that it wouldn’t do any good.”

“Let’s just get out of here as fast as we can,” I suggested.

“Good idea,” Matt agreed. “While everyone else is fighting, we might be able to slip through without anyone noticing…”

We continued running down the street with the intention of getting through the first section of the race as quickly as we could. There were just too many places for other champions to hide, which meant, too many places where we could be ambushed.

Unfortunately, I was proven right a couple minutes later when a ball of fire suddenly hit the ground ahead of me. It would have hit Matt in the back if he hadn’t seen it coming in time to dodge aside.

“Aw, crap,” I exclaimed, clenching my spear tightly and looking around.

Nadine came charging out of an alleyway with both hands on fire, and with a look of fury on her face. I braced myself to throw up a shield wall or put shields on my friends, but then I saw she wasn’t alone. Nadine by herself as bad, but I’d already proven that I could beat her.

“Shit,” Matt exclaimed when Robe suddenly leapt at him, swinging the scythe.

“We’re kind of outnumbered here,” Teri pointed out, drawing my attention to the final two champions who were with Nadine.

I immediately recognized Nadine and Robe’s teammates from back in the dungeon. There as the woman with the blue and white dress and the massive guy with the heavy armor and greatsword. After our encounter in the dungeon, I’d asked Cassandra about them, because I’d been pretty sure that sooner or later, I’d have to face them.

According to Cassandra, the big guy was Steve March, champion of K’raethar, god of steel, war, and resolve. She said that he was really tough, which was no surprise if his patron was a god of war.

The girl was Denise Harker, champion of Br’ieze, goddess of wind and air. She looked bored with this whole situation, and like she was there because she had no choice rather than because she actually wanted to attack us.

“You know, you guys are wasting a lot of time,” I pointed out, putting a shield on Teri right before Nadine hit her with a burst of fire. “At this rate, you’re going to lose the race…”

“Your death will benefit my patron more than winning this race will,” March announced in a grim tone. But in spite of that, he turned to Harker and said, “You’re the fasted one of us, so go win this race while we deal with Sievers.”

“Fine,” Harker said, almost looking relieved. “Have fun with that.”

Harker abruptly turned and ran, then launched herself up into the air with a powerful gust of wind. For a moment, I thought she was going to just fly through the race, though she only made a long jump of about thirty yards before landing again, then rushing off in a burst of speed.

“Damn she’s fast,” Matt exclaimed.

“I owe you for killing me,” Nadine snarled at me.

“Not as much as I owe you,” I responded grimly. My heart raced with a mixture of fear and anger. I could almost feel the fire burning me again, which made me shake just a little.

Nadine formed a large ball of fire in her hands and looked like she was about to throw it right at me. However, she snapped around and threw it at Teri instead. Teri jumped back, right into the path of Robe, who was coming right at her with the scythe.

At that moment, I suddenly realized that Nadine and Robe had planned this in order to take out one of my companions. Knowing Nadine, she’d done this to hurt me more than anything else. I could have thrown a shield on Teri, but that was probably what they were expecting. So, I decided to change it up and used ‘summon companion,’ immediately transporting Teri to my side in a burst of sparkles.

“WHAT THE HELL?” Nadine demanded in surprise.

Teri responded by flipping her off. “Too slow…”

March charged straight at Matt, who jumped back and opened fire with his paintball gun. The ball bearings bounced off March’s armor and didn’t seem to be doing anything more than annoying him.

“Don’t waste your ammo,” I warned Matt, though Matt was already switching over to his knives. I didn’t know if those would do any more than the paintball gun, but maybe he’d get lucky and find a gap in the armor.

I threw a shield on Matt, though it wasn’t necessary since Matt jumped back out of the way.

Nadine came at me, throwing two fireballs in a row, which hit my shield wall. I stepped back and formed another shield wall, right before my first one faded away. The look of frustration on Nadine’s face brought a smile to mine.

Robe came around and tried to get me from the other side, which wasn’t protected by a shield wall. Teri saw him coming and slammed into him, then knocked him to the ground. He began glowing purple so I threw a shield on Teri, just in time.

Teri screamed in pain and jumped back. I immediately hit her was a ‘lesser healing’, but even with the shield and the healing, her life was down to about 50%.

“Crap,” I exclaimed, healing Teri again and throwing up a shield wall between me and Robe.

“I don’t know how you survived my soul killer,” Robe said. “But you made me look bad to Arakthiel.”

Robe hit my shield with his scythe a couple times, and he knew as well as I did that the shield wouldn’t last much longer. Nadine worked around my shield, obviously planning to catch me between her and Robe.

“Hey, bitch,” Teri exclaimed, swinging her bat at Nadine, in spite of the fact that she was still shaky from being hurt by Robe. The bat connected to Nadine’s side, and my psycho ex-girlfriend let out a yelp of pain. I threw another shield on Teri, right before Nadine hit her with a burst of flame.

As soon as my shield wall dropped, Robe came at me with his scythe. He probably expected me to throw up another shield wall, but instead, I surprised him by lunging forward and trying to impale him with my spear. He reacted quickly enough to bring his scythe up, though he couldn’t knock my spear far enough away. Instead of catching him in the middle of the chest, I only hit him in the side.

“Gotcha,” I exclaimed triumphantly.

This might have only been a glancing hit, but that was all I needed. There was a flash of light from the tip of my spear, and suddenly, Robe’s side was a shredded and bloody mess, with a large chunk of flesh actually missing.

My upgraded spear could absorb ten percent of all damage that was blocked by my shields, and use it as a damage bonus on my next attack. The thing is, that damage bonus stacked, so each time Robe hit my shield, or Nadine blasted it with fire, part of that damage was being added to my spear. And now, I’d just let all of it out at once, right into Robe’s side.

YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY DEFEATED AN OPPOSING CHAMPION.

REWARD: +20 MANA POOL, +20 MANA RECOVERY, +20 HEALTH, AND +20 REGENERATION. YOUR COMPANIONS GAIN +20 HEALTH AND +20 REGENERATION.

“That’s for Heather,” I muttered under my breath. It was just too bad that he’d probably be brought back to life.

“Holy shit,” Teri exclaimed. “Jeri just one-shotted the creepy robe guy…”

“HOW DID YOU DO THAT?” Nadine demanded, seeming offended that I’d actually done something other than just defend.

“I’m not exactly helpless anymore,” I responded with an evil grin, savoring the look of worry on her face.

Of course, I might have an offensive power now, but it was melee only…unless I threw my spear and left myself unarmed, only through my weapon, and it was reliant on me playing defense. As I’d just proven, this new trick could be extremely useful, but there were a lot of limitations involved in using it.

Nadine snarled and began to form a large ball of fire in front of her, charging her alpha strike. Teri immediately backed up to my side, which saved me the trouble of transporting her back to me. As soon as she was within range, I activated Maelyne’s shield. Matt was far enough out of range that I didn’t worry about him.

Intense flames rushed over my shield, but I’d survived this attack before and was confident I could survive it again. In fact, I had more mana to spend on the shield than before, and I had a larger buff on my shield strength, so it would be easier to weather this time.

As soon as the flames ended, I dropped my shield, only to see Nadine on her knees, grimacing from the pain. She glared at me with a look of hatred, as though I was somehow responsible for causing the pain.

Matt chose that moment to open fire with his paintball gun, blasting Nadine with the ball bearings. She howled, though I was pretty sure her armor was protecting her from most of the damage.

March came at Matt, who saw him coming and leapt out of the way. The large champion swung his sword at Matt and missed, hitting a car and slicing right through it with ease. Then he apparently decided to ignore Matt and turned his attention to me.

“You’re more dangerous than I remember,” March announced, right before swinging his swore at me. I threw up a shield wall, which he destroyed with a single strike.

“Crap,” I blurted out, creating another shield wall, which he also destroyed with a single blow.

“Unlike my allies, I don’t have anything personal against you,” March said. “My patron needs to remove yours, and removing you from the game will help him do that.”

“How about I remove your head instead?” Teri asked as she swung her baseball bat at March. It bounced off his armor without effect.

When March turned to focus on Teri, I gulped and immediately put a shield on her. Then I lunged at him with my spear, trying to get him from behind. I hit him right in the middle of the back, and my spear unleashed all the bonus damage that I’d built up from him and Nadine. There was a flash of light and his armor was cracked and dented in that spot, but nothing more.

“Aw, crap,” I exclaimed.

March snapped around, swinging his sword at me. Matt hit me and tackled me to the ground, right before the blade would have sliced right through me.

“I need to save up my bonus a bit longer,” I grumbled in frustration.

Unfortunately, March was damn tough, maybe even tough enough to survive my most powerful hit. There was a limit to how much damage my spear could store up for later use, but I hadn’t gotten close to the cap yet. If I could survive enough attacks from March and Nadine, I might build my attack power up enough to do some real damage to him.

Just then, someone called out, “If you don’t mind, I would like to step in…”

A second later, Don was there, using his shield to block March’s attack. The blow was powerful enough to knock Don back a step, though my ally retaliated by smashing his mace into March’s side.

“Thanks,” I said, grateful for Don’s help, but a little confused by it.

“Of course,” Don responded. “We are allies…”

I backed up and watched as Don and March exchanged blows. Nadine looked like she was about to jump back into the fight, so Teri went at her. However, Nadine burst into flame and drove Teri back.

“Go ahead and finish the race,” Don told me. “I’ll keep these champions occupied…”

“You won’t win the race that way,” Teri pointed out.

Don just chuckled while blocking another blow from March. “I’m too slow to win any race, but that doesn’t mean I can’t ear favor with my patron in other ways…”

“Alright then,” I responded, touched by Don’s act. Now this was someone who knew the value of teamwork. I healed him, even though he didn’t really need it yet. “Good luck then. Hopefully in our next contest, we’ll be able to team up for the whole thing again.”

“I look forward to it,” Don told me with a nod.

With that, Matt, Teri, and I all ran off, leaving Don behind to deal with our opponents. Nadine tried to follow, but stone column ruse up in front of her and blocked her path, just long enough for us to get away.

up
329 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

More!

More info on the contest. More showing team work, and more flirting between Cassandra and Jeri. Interesting that the gods do want to eliminate each other, which goes along with the idea that they do encourage the champions to attack one another. Worried by this, about Cassandra and Jeri, This puts a whole new spin on don't date those you work with!

Yes and no

At least we know there will not be any underhanded dealings between Jeri and Cassandra for this race. It will just be a race.

I get the feeling this is not a ‘there can only be one scenario’. I believe the gods of a certain alliance want to emerge as being in control.

The opposing gods all represent some aspect or another so it makes me wonder what would happen if some god or another loses or ‘dies’, what would happen to the aspect they control.

Oh, and Jeri’s companions really need to call her Heather in these public outings.

Nice Catch...

They were confronting Nadine when Teri said it, and Robe/Mason wasn't around to try and help figure it out. Not sure Nadine could do so on her own in one try; Jeri may not be acting like Heather, but she's not in much of a position, given her profile, to act much like Jerry, either, and it was Matt and not Jeri who was using the paintball gun, which might otherwise be a key clue. Then again, Heather does know that Matt was Jerry's best friend; if she does figure it out, it'll all fit together for her.

That said, it wouldn't make a whole lot of difference to her; she's eager to kill whichever of the two survived. It's Mason and his patron who'd be reassured that the soul-killer really did work as advertised if/when they found out.

(So far, this scenario is looking a lot like the one I suggested in the comments last chapter: more of an excuse for champions to knock each other off than a real challenge. (Don isn't the only champion who's too slow to win a race; besides, can't some of them fly?) We'll see, once Jeri and companions get out of the city phase of this, whether there's anything else to it, like a goblin army on the path or some sort of riddle -- what's your favorite color? -- that gets you across a bridge or something.)

Eric

bye bye Robe

good one!

DogSig.png

Great Battle

I found it assuming that Nadine and Robe were totally surprised about Heather/Jeri's new abilities.
I would think that they would assume that she could pick up new abilities since Robe's attack that killed Heather was probably one gained during play but maybe Intelligence is not one of their higher stats.

Bit of a non-sequitur question but...

We saw in a previous chapter that defeating a champion could be accomplished without actually killing the opponent. What is stopping Jeri and Cassandra from simply "defeating" each other over and over again for the stat bonus? Or are the stats gained by the victor lost by the defeated?

Ping pong winning

Their Patron may lose out and get penalized for trying to ‘game’ the system. I suspect the setup is biased to lose more in penalties than to gain in a particular champion vs champion battle.

Main problem is we do not know what the point system the arbiters use.

Something tells me that Don

Something tells me that Don isn't going to make it out of this. If I know Morpheus stories like I think I do, our team is going to lose their defender (in this case Don) before this is done.

Don

Robe has been taken out so nothing permanent can happen and Marsh armor is cracked which should help out Don.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Jailbait

Flirting only for a while I would guess.

Well

Teri is involved in a life and death war under the supervision of the equivalent of a goddess. I would postulate that would qualify her for an exemption to relatively recent civil morality laws and conventions. Jeri almost got raped in the wargames and Teri shares that risk too. Therefore Teri should have some leeway if she wants to partake in consensual carnal pleasures before some champion might kill or rape her.

So who will give her a get out a jail free card?

I doubt her parents would be pleased about it.

This is an unacknowledged war so in regular life she would still cause trouble for Don if they try to hit a home run.

The muggles would not be impressed by her being a soldier. If anything she is technically a child soldier now and there are international conventions against that. Not that that has stopped armies from using them.

Re: "Don"

Michelle:

In Chapter 22, Ice Queen (Mary) was NOT killed when she was defeated by Cassandra.

As far as I am concerned, an enemy Champion isn't dead until "the Cleaner" pours SALT on the slug!

[if you put salt on a snail or slug, it turns into bubbles!]

Morpheus didn't include in the text:

"I let out a sigh of relief as Robe turned into bubbles - one less slug to deal with!"

Don may still be in trouble!

Jeri

I hope Teri calling her Jeri doesn’t lead to problems. Anyway she needs to accept she is Heather to the rest of the world and get used to it and get over she is alive and the original Heather is not.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Nadine 4

Nadine 1, Nadine 2, and Nadine 3 were posted to the prior two (2) Chapters...

********************

[Chapter 16]}}}

"...Your performance will be judged on numerous factors, including the threats you overcome and how you contribute to your team. In addition, there are three mid-level opponents and one high-level one, WHICH WILL BE WORTH GREATER REWARDS AND CONSIDERATIONS [emphasis added]..."

Champions are supposed to serve their patrons. Based upon what has already been revealed, the purpose of the contests are to adjudicate conflicts between the Patrons. Therefore, the highest priority of each individual Champion is to defeat: (1) the Dragon, (2)-(4) the troll, & the snake, the ???. The next priority is to: overcome threats [other creatures planted in the dungeon] and CONTRIBUTE TO YOUR TEAM.

All other factors [INCLUDING ATTACKING OTHER CHANPIONS] are secondary! The "evaluators of the competition" should consider placing a lesser factor above the highest priority factors to be a strong negative "consideration" in determining the evaluation of a specific Champion. [More on this later - from the perspective of six (6) Champions and two (2) Companions who actually participated in this contest]

As I discussed in Nadine 3, attacking other Champions (not in alliance or on your team) BEFORE or AFTER the Dragon Fight may be in the best interest of the Patrons. However, attacking another Champion in the middle of the Dragon Fight for personal reasons is NOT in the best interest of the Patrons and is a crime called Barratry (which carried a death sentence in the United States prior to 1885).

So, the question to be answered is did Nadine & Robe deliberately attack Heather and/or her Companions during the Dragon Fight for personal reasons?

*****************************

[Chapter 19]}}}

"...'Fucking pieces of shit,' Cassandra snarled. For a moment, it looked like she was about to help the dragon by attacking Nadine.

'I don't think they can claim dibs on the final boss,' Don pointed out with a wry smile. 'And remember, the Coordinator said that our performance would be rated partly by how much we contributed to the group effort...'

In spite of the fact that I [NewHeather] REALLY wanted to attack Nadine, even more than I wanted to avoid her, I owed it to Maelyne and my team to stay focused. So, I gave a grudging nod, then looked to Teri and Matt. Neither of them looked happy, but they nodded back.

'If I can't kill that bitch right now, at least I can steal her kill,' Cassandra said.

Since we all agreed, we charged into the fight, ..."

Before, during, and after the Dragon Fight, Magical Girl, Bored Girl ["Team Nadine"], and Greatsword ["Team Nadine"] made NO attempt to attack Heather's Team or support Nadine & Robe's attempt to attack Heather's Team!

Therefore, six (6) Champions and two (2) Companions who participated in the Dungeon Crawl all agreed that attacking Heather's Team or Nadine's Team during the Dragon Fight would be WRONG!

********************
Heather and Her Team heard the sounds of the Dragon Fight MORE THAN FIVE (5) MINUTES before arriving at the scene of the Dragon Fight!

[This is a very important fact in determining the purpose of Nadine's "alpha strike" on the Dragon during the Dragon Fight]

Once Heather's Team joined the Dragon Fight, Morpheus described all of the Champions and Companions present attacking the Dragon with the EXCEPTION OF HEATHER and NADINE [???] prior to Nadine's "alpha strike"!!!

Heather obviously didn't attack the Dragon because she had no "offensive weapon" and was concentrating on healing and shielding her team (whenever possible).

On the other hand, Nadine with a powerful attack weapon ("fireballs") did NOT attack, EVEN WHEN the Dragon hit Nadine with a Dragon Blast [which had NO "apparent effect in Nadine]!

Does this seem strange? Can you provide an explanation WHY?

No?

Well, I don't think it was strange and I can provide a very good reason why Nadine was not using her fireballs against the Dragon.

The Dragon Fight was going on for over five (5) minutes before Heather's Team showed up. During that time Nadine had ample time to launch enough fireballs at the Dragon to determine IF her fireballs could damage the Dragon[!].

In a comment to Chapter 21 (Nadine 1), I included a long discussion on a Dragon's ("Red Dragon's") resistance or immunity to damage from "fire ["fireball"] damage.

Since Nadine (who casts "fireball" attacks) is immune to a "Dragon Blast", then the "traditional belief that Dragons are resistant or immune to fire damage" should also be true.

Nadine had a very good reason for not throwing fireballs at the Dragon - her fireballs were ineffective against the Dragon.

[Chapter 19]}}}

"Robe was attacking the dragon's side with his scythe and a blast of purple energy, I guessed that the soul killer thing [purple blast?] he'd used to kill Heather, didn't do much against dragons..."

In my Nadine 1 comment I also discussed that Dragon's are believed to be immune or resistant to magic attacks. Based upon Chapter 19, it appears that Cassandra's "magic arrows" are more effective against a Dragon's immunity/resistance than Robe's "soul killing magic".

When Robe launched a ball of purple energy that "missed the Dragon by a good distance" and would have hit Jeri if Matt had not "pulled me [NewHeather] aside."[!], three (3) witnesses thought Robe intended to hit Heather and miss the Dragon!

[Chapter 19]}}}

"'What the hell does he think he's doing' Matt demanded furiously.

'Friendly fire', I answered grimly. He was taking advantage of the opportunity to attack me, while making it look like an accident. I didn't think that anyone would actually buy that though..."

[Chapter 19]}}}

"Nadine looked pissed that Robe had failed,..."

The evidence is overwhelming. Robe launched a purple ball of energy (he knew was ineffective against the Dragon) that was intended to DELIBERATELY MISS THE DRAGON AND KILL HEATHER!

[Chapter 19]}}}

"'Time to take that bitch down,' Cassandra said, glaring at Nadine.

For a couple of seconds, I thought that she was going to kill Nadine right then and there, in a 'friendly fire' accident. However, she shifted position and fired at the dragon instead. A glowing arrow hit the dragon right in the eye,..."

That arrow was the critical hit that killed the Dragon!

Facing the jury, the prosecutor with great indignation, raised his voice and said:

BARRATRY! BARRATRY! I say!

********************
To be continued in Nadine 5...

You ought to...

Be able to upvote some comments. Josette spends a lot of time analyzing these stories. Here's my kudo to her!
Oh enjoying Morpheus' story a lot too! Every chapter is a pleasure to read!

Two Points

You'd never get a conviction.

-- That form of barratry applies only in admiralty law. Domestic barratry is a different crime, generally involving frivolous lawsuits or ambulance-chasing attorneys.

-- Wikipedia comments that it's because barratry (at sea) was a capital offense that juries refused to convict even those who clearly committed the crime.

Eric

Well Robe is done

Samantha Heart's picture

He's out of the game Nadine lost her Ace & he can't be revived ether as he was only a companion. So this is a good plus on the grand scheme of things. Good thing Don stepped in when he didoes he saved TerI, Matt & Heather. Too bad Consandra took off they could have used her help.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

That's not how I read it

That is that Robe is a companion. I read that he and Nadine are allies but not that he is her companion. I read that he is the champion of another god. Of course I could be wrong. But as Josette said above, Morpheus (the god of the book) didn't say that she saw salt poured on his corpse (or holy water or whatever) so as to make sure it was completely destroyed. Yeah Don is looking at a stronger alliance in the future if he survives this bout.

Re: "Well Robe is Done" & "That's not how I read it"

Missy Mousey is right! Robe is a Champion. His Patron is Arakthiel (who gifted Robe "Soul Killer").

The reactions of Nadine, Matt, Teri, and Jeri imply that Robe was killed. His wound sounds pretty serious, but the text did not specifically state that he turned into bubbles. If I remember correctly, when Jeri & Teri killed Nadine, she turned into "bubbles"! When Ice Queen was defeated by Cassandra, she was not killed - NO BUBBLES were reported!

I've seen too many horror movies - after I kill the monster, I'm going to behead him, put a stake in his heart, pour holy water over the body, burn the body, put the ashes in a cold iron box with a silver cross, cover the box with chains, and throw the box into into a volcano (i.e. Symbolically throwing it directly into HELL!).

FYI: if you pour salt on a slug or a snail, the slug or snail turns into bubbles. My first home had a deck in the back. I had a slug problem, so I keep a salt shaker by the patio door to pour on the slugs crawling on the redwood deck. An effective non-poisonous solution.

Rules lawyer for the (next) win!

I don't believe that Matt was told the details of Heather's new weapon. After this, he will ask, and realize that Heather can charge it up before a challenge, so that Heather's first attack of a challenge will almost always be a one-shot kill. Heather has not figured out this tactic, but Matt has the mind-set to do so.

Maybe

It all depends on whether damage has to occur during battle with an opposing champion.

The arbiters are the one who has created the upgrade so they can rule lawyer it to death.

Mason

My5InchFMHeels's picture

I have a feeling when he gets back, Mason is going to be severely pissed at Jeri killing him. He and Nadine will want to start watching how they attack Jeri & Co. Jeri has allies now, and isn't nearly as easy of a target anymore. Being a Gamer may have saved her life several times over, because she understand the mechanics of being a utility style character.

Never Leave

It's not smart to leave a wounded opponent at your back. Jeri should have finished off Nadine and left Don to deal with March.

Cheers
Zapper