A Piece in the Game of Gods part 11

Printer-friendly version

I was relaxed. At the moment, I was sitting on the bleachers of my old high school football field, which almost felt like I was visting an old friend. I’d spent countless hours on this field, either playing or practicing. In a way, this place had almost been like a second home to me.

“How long until the game starts?” I wondered aloud. Or was I here to watch practice? Suddenly, I couldn’t remember.

As I looked over the field again, I finally noticed that it was completely empty. There were no players, cheerleaders, or even marching band members. The stands were almost completely empty as well. I was the only person there. Or at least, I thought I was, until I realized that someone was sitting right beside me.

Maelyne was sitting on the bleachers, looking every bit as beautiful and imposing as the last time I’d seen her. She towered over me, yet somehow, I hadn’t even noticed her until just then.

“I’m dreaming,” I blurted out in sudden understanding.

“Greetings, my champion,” Maelyne said, smiling down at me. “Yes, we are within your dream. This is the first opportunity that I have had to communicate with you directly again.”

“It is?” I asked in surprise. “Is this because of those Arbiters?”

Maelyne nodded her head in acknowledgement. “The Arbiters oversee our games, and ensure the rules are followed. Some of these rules limit direct contact with our champions, so that we do not influence you overmuch.” Then she smiled again, “But following your completion of the contest, I am allowed to congratulate you on your performance and give you some small advice…”

That answered some of my questions, though certainly not all of them. “I thought you just didn’t want the Arbiters to know what you did… I mean, about putting me in Heather’s body…”

“I would prefer they not know,” Maelyne admitted, scowling slightly. “Though I violated no rules of the game, should this become known, there could be consequences. Imagine, if you will, if other gods used this technique to…replace…any champion who displeased them. Known champions could become unpredictable, and the balance of the game could shift in dangerous ways.”

“That could be…bad,” I said, imagining what this game would be like if gods started tearing out people’s souls and replacing them on a whim. I shuddered at the very thought.

“Indeed,” Maelyne agreed. “Left unchecked, such practices could cause our game to escalate, potentially into direct war between the gods. My people have avoided such a thing for generations, though admittedly, some forget those horrors and wish to bring a return to those days…”

I scowled at that, remembering both the contest, and the way Nadine and Robe had murdered Heather. “At least we wouldn’t have to do your fighting for you…”

Maelyne stared down at me for several long seconds, making me cringe a little beneath her gaze. I could feel the power in that stare, and for a second, I wanted to cringe. Finally, she said, “You do not understand.” She held her hand up and said, “Look, and see the difference in our levels of power…” A moment later, a new screen appeared in the air, one that showed HER stats.

NAME: MAELYNE
GENDER: FEMALE
AGE: 1329
DOMAIN: LOYALTY AND PROTECTION
HEALTH: 87%
MANA: 68%
STATUS: NEGATIVE STATUS-CONTEST FORFEITURE 1, CONTEST FORFEITURE 2, CONTEST FORFEITURE 3. POSITIVE STATUS-CONTEST BONUS.

DIVINITY: 32
-
STRENGTH: 59
STAMINA: 112
ENDURANCE: 96
-
AGILITY: 42
REFLEXES: 48
DEXTERITY: 60
-
INTELLIGENCE: 58
CHARISMA: 62
AWARENESS: 74
-
MANA POOL: 17068
MANA RECOVERY: 11050
HEALTH: 14855
REGENERATION: 10676
DIVINE POWER: 9080

I stared at the screen with my mouth open. I’d known that Maelyne was a LOT more powerful than me, but to actually see her stats compared to my own… It was almost mind-blowing. And this didn’t even show her skills and abilities.

“These contest forfeitures,” I started, gesturing to the screen.

“Each, a loss of power and status,” Maelyne explained with an almost pained smile. “As I have told you, this game has serious consequences for my kind. If my champion loses overmuch, I could potentially lose everything…including my life.” Then, her smile became a little more pleasant. “And when you found a hidden prize, I too received benefit from that.”

“Glad to know I was useful,” I said wryly. I was just thankful that I’d survived that contest.

“As you can see,” Maelyne said, indicating her screen. “My kind are far more powerful than you can imagine. The weakest god is a hundred times stronger than the most powerful champion. If my kind warred directly, our world would be destroyed and the battle would overflow to your world, causing untold devastation there as well. And should this world survive that war, where do you think the refugees would go? The survivors of my world would come here, which would be a great misfortune for your race.”

I gulped at that, shaking a little at the very idea. “Yeah, I guess that wouldn’t be good for us…”

Maelyne looked down at me with a gentle smile. “There is good reason that my kind no longer come to your world physically, and why even communication with our champions is limited. At one time, we came to this world for our game, involving ourselves more directly. We gained power and leverage, not only from the feats of our champions, but also from the number of humans who worshipped us. This lead to wars among humans…and escalations among ourselves, which could have turned to direct combat. Now, we distance ourselves from the games, and from the human world. It is best, for both your people and my own, to leave these conflicts in the hands of our champions.

“I guess I can see that,” I admitted grudgingly. Then, just so she didn’t think that she actually had to convince me, I added, “We made a deal, and I was going to stick with it anyway. I just have a lot of questions about how this all works…”

“I imagine you would,” Maelyne told me, smiling faintly. “I will attempt to answer what I am allowed to in the brief time we have left…”

Suddenly, Maelyne paused and looked around with a grim expression. She put a finger to her lips in the familiar gesture for, ‘be quiet.’ I glanced around but didn’t see anything unusual, other than the fact that we were still at my old high school.

“You have survived another contest,” Maelyne announced as she stood up. “And your performance was…adequate. But when the next contest comes, my champion, you should endeavor to win it…”

I stared at Maelyne, quickly getting what she was up to. The ‘shush’ and sudden change of topic both suggested that she thought we were being listened in on. Well, she had warned me that the Arbiters liked to keep an eye on things, and that she wanted to keep them from learning about what had happened.

“Now go, my champion,” Maelyne commanded me, “and plan your strategy with our allies, as we discussed.”

A moment later, I bolted upright in my bed, gasping for breath. I looked over at the clock, muttered a brief profanity, then curled back up in my blankets and tried going back to sleep. Hopefully, this time there wouldn’t be any divine interruptions.

up
307 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Stakes are a lot higher than thought

So what would’ve happened if her champion had not been ‘refilled’?

Would she die as she dwindled by having to forfeit matches as she had no champion?

She must’ve seen a lot in him to risk her very existence in allowing him to become her champion.

So about the purse

Our girl is still in need of intelligence

Heather

What about the purse and I’m willing to bet Heather is going to have problems with not having the old heather’s memories she still needs to talk to the woman with the bow.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Now that

is a very interesting question. Are the other gods listening in on their conversation? I mean above and beyond the probably arbitrators. Also, Jeri should have asked for an instruction manual or set of scriptures regarding her new god. Maybe there is something of that sort in Heather's purse? Also does Heather have a day job? What is that job? Can Jeri do that job? How could she contact allies if she doesn't have a contact list? Oh my so many many questions to answer while someone seeks to destroy your soul!

Yep

But what are the limitations of the Arbiters monitoring?

They knew about the off reservation fight but somehow missed the little chat where Heather was replaced.

As the Goddess Said...

...it wasn't illegal, just discouraged (and for good reason).

In which case the arbiters may know about it, and they just aren't telling anyone -- including Maelyne -- so that they don't appear to have approved of it.

Eric

Heather's biggest problem...

It appears to me that her biggest problem is Terri and Matt!

Apparently Nadine and Robe tracked down Heather in order to take her out of the game. So, if [new]Heather is smart she will try to "disappear" (i.e. find a new place to live and maybe have to quit her job) until she gains enough power to deal with Nadine and Robe. THE PROBLEM is Terri and Matt. If Nadine recognizes Terri or Matt, she can use them to find Heather!!!

Since Nadine did not recognize Terri during the last event, either Nadine never met Terri (a reasonable theory) OR didn't notice her because she wasn't directly involved in the fight between Robe and Heather.

Heather will hopefully require Terri to disguise herself during future events (just to make sure Nadine doesn't make the connection). If Matt becomes the second companion, it will be even more important to require him to disguise his identity!

The life of Heather, Terri, Matt, and Terri & Matt's Mother depend upon keeping the relationship a secret!

If not for Nadine, Matt would make a great companion #2. However, because of Nadine, Heather should try to discourage Matt from trying to protect his sister and his best friend/(new girlfriend???).

[new]Heather's computer game and paintball experience along with knowledge of Nadine is a significant advantage in the fight vs. Nadine! Ditto for Matt!!! SO LONG AS NADINE doesn't know!!! For instance, once Heather build up her power she could pull the same stunt and attack Nadine outside of game events when Nadine is alone!!!

One "unresolved" question: What happened to [old]Heather's companions??? Were their souls destroyed, were all of the resurrections used, or was the relationship ended with [old]Heather's death??? The text of the story is unclear as to their fate.

I'm wondering if Heather should risk trying to have a conversation with Bowgirl. Heather could inform Bowgirl about Robe's soul taking ability in return for information about the game. Using her High Charisma she could try to obtain assistance without telling Bowgirl the "full truth" about what happened.

I Was Wondering That Myself...

Heather's existing companions should still have been around, or should be wondering what happened, if their game status screens have disappeared. We know, I think, that they weren't with Heather when she got destroyed outside the game. (I wondered briefly if they were centenarians or severely ill people who were being kept alive only via the game's life functions, but since Heather was just 18 that doesn't seen likely, unless Heather "inherited" them from Maelyne's previous champion.

I guess we do know, now that we've seen Maelyne's screen showing her age, that Heather really was born 18 years ago, as opposed to 18 being her character's age and remaining 18 years of age indefinitely. So I'd seem to be justified in concluding that Heather hasn't been Maelyne's champion for very long; she'd have had a tough time competing, high charisma or not, if she were under, say, 14. (Though her skills, as new-Heather noted, do lend themselves to staying in the background and letting others initiate things, which might have kept her alive if she'd been extremely young when she took the job.). Her inexperience compared to other deities' champions ought to make her the least powerful of the champions or nearly so, since all the others would have accumulated experience-point bonuses over time that she lacks. That'd seem like (another) good reason for Jerry to keep Heather out of direct combat as much as possible. Nadine and Robe, of course, may make that difficult.

Eric

Who is the companion???

The text is unclear about who is the companion: Robe or Nadine???

Companion

Neither. Both are champions with their own patrons.

The waking world is but a dream.

Re: "Companion"

Now that is interesting! So Robe and Nadine are ALLIES! So, does Heather have a similar arrangement with Bowgirl? Bowgirl did know the names of [old]Heather's companions and seemed on good terms with [old]Heather.