A Piece in the Game of Gods part 22

Printer-friendly version

I was sitting in a café, where I was finishing up lunch with Lauren and Cassandra. The two of them had talked me into going out for a little ‘girl time’, which mostly consisted of them window shopping and drooling over things that neither could actually afford to buy.

Today had seemed like a good day to spend some time with my new roommates, and get to know them a little better. And for once, I could do so when the game wasn’t involved in one way or another.

“So,” Lauren asked Cassandra, “have you had any luck with the new job.”

“Not yet,” Cassandra answered with a look of annoyance. Then she looked to me and explained, “I lost my last job when I got hauled away for a contest in the middle of my fucking shift. For some reason, my boss didn’t like that shit.”

“I wonder why,” I responded wryly. “I lost my last job because I died, and for some reason, I don’t think my boss would understand my new look.”

“Probably not,” Lauren agreed with a smirk.

At the moment, Lauren was the only one of us who actually had a job. She worked the late shift as some ‘boutique’, though I wasn’t really sure just what a boutique actually sold.

“At least you don’t have to worry about it,” Cassandra said, which confused me.

“I don’t have that much saved up,” I pointed out with a sigh. “I still need to find a new job, since apparently, Heather didn’t have one…”

Lauren snorted at that. “I don’t think that girl ever worked a day in her life.”

“Not like she really had to,” Cassandra added.

“Was heather rich or something?” I asked in surprise.

“Not really rich,” Lauren admitted. “But she definitely wasn’t poor either.”

Cassandra said, “Okay, I guess you really need to know this, considering…”

“Considering I have her body,” I finished for her, feeling a stirring of guilt.

Cassandra and Lauren both nodded at that, looking a bit sad. Then Cassandra shook it off and glanced around the café to make sure nobody would overhear us talking.

“Heather’s mom died a few years ago,” Cassandra told me with a serious expression. “Her dad is some corporate architect, who is totally married to his career. From what Heather said, they aren’t…weren’t very close, so you probably won’t have to deal with him much.”

“Any brothers or sisters?” I asked.

“She was an only child,” Lauren answered.

I let out a sigh of relief, since the picture I was getting, was that Heather didn’t have any close family. I felt bad for the girl, but this would make it a little easier on me. I didn’t know what I would have done if I’d had to pretend to be her to her parents or siblings.

“And you won’t have to worry about looking for a job,” Cassandra told me. “At least not right away…”

Lauren nodded at that. “Heather’s grandparents left her a trust that covers tuition, expenses, and an allowance, until she either graduates or drops out.”

“That’s good,” I said, feeling a little awkward.

That trust had been meant for Heather, not me, so I felt a little guilty for taking advantage of it. Of course, as far as everyone else was concerned, I was Heather, and had every right to that money, though I still knew better. Of course, I was going to use it anyway, even if I did feel a little bad about it.

“At least that’s one less thing I have to worry about,” I said.

“Do you know when the next contest is going to be?” Lauren asked with a worried look. Cassandra and I both shook our heads. “It just seems that they’re coming more frequently…”

“I noticed that too,” Cassandra admitted. I was a little surprised at that. Then again, I hadn’t been involved in the game long enough to really see any pattern yet. “I don’t know what it means. Maybe those gods are upping the ante or something.”

“Maybe,” I agreed, remembering what Maelyne had said about her enemies being even more ambitious than she’d previously realized. Now I wondered what was going on behind the scenes. What exactly were all those gods up to? “Maybe we can ask our patrons the next time we see them.”

“Armestia isn’t the type to answer a lot of questions,” Cassandra told me wryly. “So you’re more likely to get answers than I am.”

I nodded at that, knowing that I’d probably never find out what the gods were really up to. All I could do was make my own preparations and try to survive the game. The last contest had been four days ago, and I had no idea when the next one would be, so I’d been training and practicing in order to get ready. So far, I’d leveled up one rank each in spear fighting, protect companion, and summon companion, but there was only so much I could do without getting more attribute points.

Talking about the game was a little depressing, so Lauren tried to change the subject. “Have you tried makeup yet, Jeri?”

I shook my head vehemently. “No, thank you.”

Cassandra smirked at that. “How do you know you won’t like it, if you haven’t tried it?”

“I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t like a liver milkshake either,” I pointed out, “and I don’t need to try it to be sure of that.”

Lauren gave me an amused look. “Well, you’re a pretty girl now, so you should learn to take advantage of that… You know, embrace it…”

Cassandra snickered. “You know, that reminds me…” She stared at me for a moment with a smirk. “You slotted a little charisma, didn’t you?”

“What?” I replied in surprise. “One point. How did you know?”

“Heather slotted a couple of her points into charisma,” Cassandra explained with a smug look. “Each time she did, she became a little more attractive, and developed a little more…presence. I noticed the same thing with you, a couple days ago.”

I was a little startled by this since I hadn’t realized that charisma would actually change my appearance, but I shouldn’t have been surprised. I’d already seen how other attributes could affect a person’s physical appearance.

“You definitely have a bit of a presence,” Lauren told me with a look of amusement. “Even when you’re not doing anything, people can’t help but notice you…”

“True,” Cassandra agreed. “Heather liked the attention, but I didn’t think you’d go for it…”

By this point, I was blushing a bit. Finally, I admitted, “Back in the dungeon, when I got separated from everyone else, I had to trick the guy with the axe in order to beat him. I figured that if I ever got in that situation again, I wanted my charisma to be high enough that I could pull that trick again, if I had to.”

“Not a bad idea,” Cassandra admitted, though she still looked amused. “And as a bonus, you get to look just a little hotter…”

I blushed even brighter, suddenly even more aware of the way that people were watching me. Guys had been staring at me, or at least watching me with a lot more interest, ever since I’d ended up in this body. Now, I realized that I may have accidentally made this even worse for myself.

After this, we finished up with our lunch and got up to leave. However, as we stepped out the door, I paused to look around. Since there were people out to kill me, or even worse, I made sure to look for any signs of another ambush. Nadine wasn’t going to catch me by surprise again.

“It’s clear,” Cassandra said, looking around as well.

“I figure we still have time to hit a couple more shops,” Lauren announced, seemingly unaware of the way Cassandra and I had been looking around for any signs of danger. “There’s a great little bakery down this way, that makes the best cupcakes…”

Fifteen minutes later, we stepped out of the bakery with a container full of ‘gourmet’ cupcakes, of several different flavors. I’d never been a huge fan of sweets, but I had to admit, the banana caramel cupcake looked like it was going to be delicious.

“This is going to kill my diet,” Lauren said, “but I figure, an extra half hour on the elliptical will take care of it…”

“Quiet,” Cassandra abruptly ordered, earning a look of surprise from Lauren.

That wasn’t like Cassandra, so I looked around, sure that she had a reason. Then I saw it. Or more accurately, I saw HER.

There was a young woman across the street, staring straight at us. She was about our age, though maybe a couple years older, with short brown hair, and a sneer on her lips.

“Yours or mine?” I asked Cassandra. I’d seen this girl before, at the gatherings before both of the contests I’d been in.

“This one is mine,” Cassandra answered grimly. “This bitch is here for me…”

The other girl shifted into her armor, which was very similar in design to my own. It was cloth armor that looked like a dress, though it was a silvery-white color that seemed to be covered with frost and ice crystals.

“Fuck!” Cassandra spat out. “Not here… Too many people in the way…”

“We can take her,” I assured Cassandra. I momentarily tried to summon my companions, but Matt and Teri were both out of range.

“No,” Cassandra insisted. “Leave her to me…”

And with that, Cassandra shifted into her armor and ran down the sidewalk while the other girl raced across the street and chased after her. I hesitated a moment, but Lauren made up my mind for me by following them. I joined in the chase.

Cassandra ran down an alleyway and the other girl followed. Lauren and I turned the corner in time to see Cassandra shooting an arrow at her opponent. The other girl held out her hand and a wall of ice appeared in front of her, acting as a shield and blocking the arrow.

“Keep back,” I warned Lauren. Cassandra might have told me to stay out of this one, but I was ready to jump in if she really needed me.

“Come on, Mary,” Cassandra called out. “I put in arrow in your ass the last time you tried this shit. Do you really think this time will be any different?”

The girl, Mary, snarled, “My patron is a goddess of ice and vengeance… You didn’t think I was just going to let this go, did you?”

Mary went around her own ice wall and threw a bunch of icicle daggers, then quickly ducked back behind the wall, using it for cover. Several arrows hit the ice and exploded, destroying Mary’s protection, though she’d already moved to the side and fired a blast of white energy, which hit a wall near Cassandra and caused it to become covered in ice.

“This is crazy,” Lauren gasped from beside me.

“No kidding,” I responded. “You should see how bad the contests get…”

Cassandra dove to the side and practically ran up a wall before turning and firing another shot at Mary. Mary threw up another ice wall, then slipped around it just long enough to throw another burst of icicles.

They continued trading blows, with Cassandra dodging Mary’s attacks, while Mary kept using her ice wall. I was especially interested in that, because it reminded me a lot of my own shield wall.

“You know, that shield is pretty fucking annoying,” Cassandra exclaimed. “I think I’ll just pretend it’s not there…”

Cassandra fired another arrow, though this one went through the ice wall as though it wasn’t there. It was the same thing she’d done to one of the goblins back in the dungeon. The arrow struck Mary in the shoulder, knocking her back while she screamed in pain.

“You’re gonna pay for that,” Mary yelled, getting back to her and yanking the arrow out of her shoulder with a look of agony. However, in spite of that and her pissed off expression, she also seemed…pleased. “You’re gonna pay big time, bitch.”

“I’ve got a bad feeling about this,” I said.

Mary began to glow with a silvery color, and I could almost feel the power building. It took me a couple seconds to realize what was going on, and once I did, I immediately activated Maelyne’s shield around me and Lauren.

“Alpha strike,” I exclaimed, a moment before a wave of silvery energy exploded from Mary.

There was an explosion of cold and ice, which tore through everything nearby. Shards of ice ripped through the walls and ground, while every surface suddenly froze solid. Even inside my shield, I could feel the intense cold.

“CASSANDRA!” Lauren yelled in fear.

I was worried too, but when I looked to where Cassandra had been, there was no sign of her. Somehow, when that instant blizzard appeared, my goth friend had managed to slip away.

“Where’d she go?” Mary demanded in surprise and confusion.

Arrows suddenly appeared in each of Mary’s legs, making her drop to the ground with a scream of pain. Another arrow appeared in her hand, nailing it to the ground.

“I’m up here, you fucking idiot,” Cassandra yelled out. She was on top of the nearby building, though how she’d gotten up there so fast, I had no idea.

Cassandra had another arrow drawn back and aimed at Mary, but didn’t fire. After several seconds, she grinned.

“Ah, there it is,” Cassandra said with a look of satisfaction. “It looks like you just officially lost this one…”

“What does she mean?” Lauren asked me.

I shrugged in response. “She probably got a popup, telling her that she defeated her opponent.”

“Nice,” Lauren said, looking relieved at that.

Cassandra dropped down from the building, hit the ice-covered ground, and then promptly slipped and fell on her butt. I burst out laughing while Lauren snickered.

“I’m gonna get you for this,” Mary snarled, though from the look of her, she wasn’t about to do so anytime soon.

“You attacked me,” Cassandra reminded her. “But be glad I don’t want to kill you a second time. I don’t want the guilt of killing you for good, but I will if you come at me again.”

Cassandra came over and joined us, changing back into her normal clothes in the process. Lauren gave her a quick hug, obviously relieved that the fight was over.

“Come on,” Cassandra said. “I’m done shopping… Let’s go home…”

“Sounds good to me,” I said, glancing back at Mary and deciding that I really didn’t want to ever get on Cassandra’s bad side.

up
320 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Lesson

I hope Mary learned her lesson I was expecting Nadine

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

I'm glad Casandra

Samantha Heart's picture

Is on Heather''s side it would be ugly other wise. Especially as Room Mates.

JerI now know more about Heather and her family I'm glad she has friends.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

I have a feeling that Cassandra and Heather

I have long had a feeling that Cassandra and Heather might have been more a couple. This would explain why the two champions were living together and some of Cassandra's reactions toward her.

Cripes,

Having to fight champions in the games, in RL, and support themselves with a job. The patrons don't ask much of them do they?

Lovely

Beoca's picture

Another champion with a vendetta that they'll have to watch out for come contest time. Just what was needed.

Plan B (Diplomacy of Healing)

Heather should have healed Ice Queen (like she did for Magical Girl) before going home.

When Ice Queen (like Magical Girl) asks "What are you up to Sievers?"
Heather should have replied (while applying her Flirting skills) "tell your Patron God this is part of my revenge on Nadine, Robe and their Patrons."

A girl's gotta proactively build her "Rep"! Word of mouth works for the "Cell Phone. generation!"

*****************
I still think Heather should (using her Flirting Skills and Matt's Stealth Skills) risk removing Jerry Tanner's Gaming Computer, photos & Documents that link Jerry Tanner to friends and family.

Removing the Trophys and clothing would also be a good idea - don't leave anything that might fuel Nadine's anger.

If Matt (known by Nadine as Jerry Tanner's closest friend) is a new companion, eventually Nadine or her Patron may decide to look more closely at (the deceased) Jerry Tanner...

********************

I wonder how much those tapestries were worth. {sigh}

********************

Idle speculation:

("Somewhere Else Entirely" - Current Day)

P1: "Maelyne, what's going on with your Champion?"

(No reply)

P1: " Her recent improvement helps, but I'm a little concerned her Healing other Champions could disrupt the current alliances. I think you need to keep a close eye on what she is doing"

P2: "Maelyne, I don't see it as being a problem. Upsetting the current alliances can only help us."

P3: "I think your Champions improvement is due to her new Companions. She made some very good decisions. However, I agree with {{P1}} about healing other Champions. This could have unexpected results."

...

A nice spotlight episode

Like in the comics.

Well at least we are getting a tour of the opposition.

This is worse than the comics as there are no secret identities.

Next episode

It seems to me now that Jeri has been attacked, I wonder how she will fight using that 10% she has gained?

Oh, I just noticed Cassandra’s phrasing of not killing Mary.

So, what is the limit for the number of times you can get revived after being killed?

Nadine Part 3

On August 12 in the Year of Our Lord Eighteen Hundred and Nineteen, the Whaleship Essex left Nantucket, Massachusetts with twenty souls on board.

On November 20, 1820 the ship was struck twice by a large sperm whale, who stove in the bow of the ship. The ship sank quickly leaving the crew marooned in three small whaleboats without adequate food and water 1,200 nautical miles from the nearest (known) land.

Fearful of the possiblity of cannibals in the Marquesas Island, the crew elected to head for South America a 4,000 nautical mile voyage! Ironically, when food ran out, seven members of the crew were eaten (that's called Cannibalism!!!).

At one point during their ordeal they were 104 miles from Pitcarn Island (where the mutinous crew of HMS Bounty lived)!

Eight members of the crew survived.

In 1851, an American writer named Herman Melville wrote a book called Moby Dick (which was partially based upon the ordeal of the crew of the Essex).

What does this have to do with the story of Nadine?

Let's look at the economics of 19th Century whaling. Investors would buy an existing ship or commission the construction of a new ship. The investors (partners) would pay for refitting and outfitting the ship and hire a Captain.

The Captain and crew were not paid (in the sense that employees are paid today). Instead, the Captain and the Crew received a share of the profits at the end of the voyage. These "shares" were called a "lay". [today, "lay" is a betting term]

The owners (in the case of the Pequod included widows and orphans from the families of whalers) received 70% of the profit and the crew received 30%. Captain Ahab's share was 16%. Ishmael's share would have been (if the voyage had been successful) about $63 a month in today's money plus "three years 'beef and board', for which Ishmael 'would not have to pay one stiver'."

In Moby Dick, Ishmael said "this was a poor way to accumulate a princely fortune...a very poor way indeed."

[From what I have read on BCTS, I would say being a Champion is a poor way to accumulate a princely fortune... a very poor way indeed]

Captain Ahab's share was over 50% of the share given to the crew because he was the man in charge of the ship AND WAS THERE TO REPRESENT THE INTERESTS OF THE INVESTORS!

Captain Ahab lost his leg during a previous voyage. Captain Ahab blamed the loss of his leg on Moby Dick (a huge White Whale). He developed a hatred for Moby Dick. A hatred so strong that it consumed him. His hatred of Moby Dick resulted in not only Ahab's death, but the death of all of the crew but one (Ishmael) and the loss of the ship (along with the investors money and lost profit).

Captain Ahab who was supposed to represent the interests of the investors (which technically included the crew), instead hijacked the ship and crew to avenge the loss of his leg by killing Moby Dick.

Under Admiralty (Nautical) Law, this is a crime called Barratry. Before 1885, Barratry was a capital crime in the United States (although juries routinely refused to convict because of the death penalty attached).

If Nadine and Robe (because of their personal hatred of Heather) used their "gifts" to kill Heather and killing Heather was not in the interests of their Patrons, then Nadine and Robe committed Barratry!

******************
In judging Nadine and Robe, two (2) questions must be answered:

(1) Was it in the interest of their patrons to kill Heather DURING the Dragon Fight?

(2) Did Nadine and Robe try to kill Heather during the Dragon Fight instead of trying to kill the Dragon?

********************

Let's start with the question:

Is it in the interests of the Patron to kill another Champion?

Morpheus hasn't told very little about what benefit the Patrons receive from the killing of a Champion.

From NewHeather's killing two (2) other Champions, we know that the successful Champion receives a benefit:

+20 Mana
+20 Mana Recovery
+20 Health
+20 Regeneration

+20 Companion Health
+20 Companion Regeneration

Therefore, unless there are other factors involved, as a general rule killing other Champions benefits the patron, because it strengthens the patron's Champion!

Cassandra declined to kill Creep (when presented with the opportunity) because he was the weakest Champion. Therefore being a weak Champion is a factor that may make killing a Champion not in the best interest of her patron (at least to Cassandra's point of view)!

Another Champion declared that Heather was a weak Champion[!]. Does that mean that it is not in the best interests of other patrons for Heather to be killed. The answer is NO. Heather is a special case! Maelyne has three (3) prior Forfitures. That means that killing Heather has the potential to severely weaken Maelyne (IF IT IS KILL FOUR).

So, is there another factor that might make killing Heather not in the interest of the opposing Champion's patron?

Based upon the story so far, the main purpose of Champions is to excel during the competitions. Therefore, excelling at the contests should be the primary focus of the Champions[!]

The most important goals of the Dungeon Crawl were:

(1) Kill Dragon

(2), (3), (4), Kill minor Boss (Troll, Snake, ???)

ALL OTHER ACTIONS should not interfere with the goals (1 through 4).

If Nadine & Robe tried to kill Heather BEFORE or AFTER the Dragon Fight, I concede that Nadine & Robe would have been acting in the best interest of their patrons.

[Note: after the Dragon was killed, Nadine & Robe had an opportunity to try to kill Heather. They didn't try, because they didn't like the odds! -

"DANGER JERRY TANNER !!! DANGER JERRY TANNER!!!]

In my Chapter 20 comment

" Who gets Credit for Killing the Dragon?"

I pointed out Jerry/Jeri (NewHeather) should have received 45% of the Credit for killing the Dragon because her healing of Cassandra and her use of Maelyne's shield to save Cassandra's life from the Point blank Dragon Blast allowed Cassandra to make the critical hit that caused the death of the Dragon. If Nadine or Robe had killed Heather, the Dragon would have killed all of the remaining Champions and Companions involved in the Dragon Fight[!].

Committing suicide in order achieve revenge against Heather is NOT acting in the best interests of the Patrons[!]

However, it would have repeated the death of Ahab and his crew...

********************

Additionally, Robe's Purple strike that missed the Dragon could have killed or disabled Heather. This pissed off Matt and Cassandra. Cassandra almost shot the arrow that killed the Dragon at Robe. If Robe intended the Purple Strike to miss the Dragon and hit Heather was he acting in the best interests of his patron?

The remaining question is were Nadine & Robe trying to fight the Dragon or were they trying to kill Heather regardless of the cost?

[that is where Dragon Scales and Tail Length become relevant...]

To be continued in Nadine Part 4...

[Nadine Part 1 & Nadine Part 2 were posted to the prior chapter]

"killing you for good"

WillowD's picture

Does this mean that if Cassandra killed Mary twice she wouldn't be revived a second time?

First We've Heard of That...

...AFAIK. But if having the same champion kill you twice means permanent death, the Nadine and Mason vs Heather/Jeri has more at stake than we realized.

Especially if you don't believe, as some commenters do, that Heather already has three strikes against her and Jeri dies for good next time no matter who kills her. I'm reluctant to believe that because Maelyne could have explicitly told Jeri if that were the case, and didn't.

(Maelyne does have three forfeitures -- or did; her statement to Jeri in #20 suggested that one of them had been lifted -- but I don't think we can assume that they're all deaths by Heather -- for one thing, the indication is that the gods have played games using other champions before, and that they've been doing this sort of thing for some time, even if D&D hasn't been around for most of it.)

You'd think there'd be a lot of cases, though, where specific champions are looking for revenge against particular opponents. Seems as though that ought to be culling the champion ranks unless the winners are all as magnanimous as Cassandra was. (Which of course is acting against their self-interest; a permanently dead enemy can't kill you twice.)

Eric

Complexity

I like this side adventure, it adds complexity to the story.

Cheers
Zapper

Choices

Jamie Lee's picture

The powers some have been given have turned them into raging morons, who think because their patron is this or that God that they too have to take on the same aspect.

Did it ever occur to these morons that they don't have to take on the patron's aspect, that Mary doesn't have to go after Cassandra because Cassandra previously defeated her?

The powers these people have been given has triggered some human egos into now think themselves gods.

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Others have feelings too.