The Decaying World: Hawk and Sparrow

Printer-friendly version

The Decaying World
Chapter 2: Hawk and Sparrow

Name: Unknown….
Species:Human
Gender: Female
Hair Color: Brown.
Eye Color: Green
Height: 5’1”
Weight: 98 lbs
Age: aprox. 22
Background: Unknown….
Family: Unknown….
DNA analysis complete. Awaiting command.

Hawk grunted as he slammed the computer console. He had spent atleast an hour in front of the med-bay computer trying to find something out about this mysterious girl. Here she was, the one who managed to avoid the Wave, and he didn’t know how. Originally he figured it was a minion of the tower but nothing about her said she was. “Another mystery I’ll have to solve… maybe her book holds some clues?” He put it in the lock up hours ago. Sparrow promised she’d take a look at it, but she had other things to take care of. So he wasn’t surprised it hadn’t been done yet. He locked down the computer and stepped away from it.
After checking on the girl in the cage, who had been unconscious due to a combination of drugs and rough treatment, he stepped out of the room. As he walked down the corridor to the Labs, he wondered if there was one girl who avoided the wave, were there others?
Hawk didn’t have time to dwell out as he walked into the Labs. Stepping inside he put in his personal id code to unlock the door.
“Oi! Sparrow!” He called out stepping in.
“Oh good, you’re here Hawk, Did you get any information from her in medbay?” A girl responded, looking over. Her long black hair was tied into a low ponytail, going over her well worn labcoat, as she typed away at her lab computer. On it flashed many different designs of things she had been working on.
“Unfortunately the Med-bay computers had no ability to Identify her, or even where she came from.”
“What do you mean? Everyone is in the database, Maybe the computer just had an error.” Sparrow surmised, looking back at him quizzically.
“Not her. She doesn’t exist apparently.” Hawk answered, walking over to the lab computer and pulling up the information from the database. The girl in the cage appeared on a picture in there as well as several bits of information. But the information was still well incomplete.
“Well then we’ll have to look through her things. I’ll do that in a bit. Too much to do so little time.” She sighed leaning back in her chair. “Oh by the way, The scanners picked up another event. Just like the last one.”
“Where at?” Hawk questioned turning towards the map.
“32 by 58, looks to be some sort of farmland.”
“All the way out there? Why?”
“Well that’s what you need to go figure out isn’t it?”
“I’ll get right on it then. By the way, while I’m out check through the girl’s things.” The last leader ordered turning towards the door.
“You don’t need my help?” the raven haired girl asked
“I do, and you can do that by doing what I told you to do hours ago.”
“I’ve been busy with your suit!”
“And I thank you for that, but that could have waited as well. I don’t have to spend all day in the suit, my skills are good enough to keep me-“
“STOP!” she suddenly screamed, anger written on her face. Her demeanor suddenly serious compared to the laidback behavior she was just exhibiting.
“You still holding on to that? Look Lillian, He’s gone! The brainwashed masses took care of that! He’s now one of them.”
“That doesn’t mean you can go out and do the same thing as him!! He said the same thing to me and he got swarmed! You’re not going without your suit! Ever! End of discussion!....” she screamed then quietly mumbling while looking away, “I can’t lose you too… Not like that.”
“Ok ok, I won’t ever go without my suit on any mission. Ok? You’re not gonna lose me.” Looking back at the map, Hawk studied it. “You know, Alpha and Beta are out that way, I could stop by and do a little investigating, see how they are faring, or if they fell like Omega and Zeta did.”
“Ah that’s right! I forgot about them! It’s been a while since we’ve been able to contact them!” Sparrow said, back to her usual carefree attitude. Hawk knew that it was all an act, something Sparrow put it to cover up the pain of losing her friends and family, hoping one day she’ll get them back. He didn’t blame her for it though, if it kept her going for another day he didn’t mind.
“I’ll get right on it, I’ll see you in a bit Sparrow.”
With that Hawk left the room, leaving Sparrow by herself. After a few moments of sitting, trying to keep herself together she got up and left the room heading for the lockup.

*********

I don’t know when I woke up, all I knew, was I was sitting in a cage in some kinda lab. The room around me looked like it was held together. For a moment I was confused at how I got there, then I remembered the man who attacked me. Guess I was a prisoner now. I had to find a way out.

Looking around I spotted the lock to the cage, I didn’t have very good lockpicking skills, or any at all so that was out of the question. There was no key nearby either. Ooooof course not. Kicking it didn’t get me anywhere either, either than to help me vent frustration. And screaming for help, as stupid as it was, got me no results. Why do these things always have to be so hard? Sighing I sat at the back of the cage and just stared at a wall.
“Interesting, so you have given up?” A voice said, coming out of seemingly nowhere. Either I’m going crazy, or someone is in this room with me. And I really hope I’m not going crazy. I’ve only been conscious for an hour!....I think…There’s no sky or clock to judge. I looked around outside the cage but found no one. Yup, going crazy. Dang it, I thought I had until I was an old lady until that happened. “Little miss, can you hear me?” The voice called again.
“He-hello?” I hesitantly called out, unsure if what I was hearing was true or not.
“Ah good, I was beginning to think one of my circuits fried.”
“Tell me about it…wait, Circuits? Who are you?”
“My creator has dubbed me the Virtual Assistant Logistic. Or V.A.L. for short, however my users just call me computer. And to answer your question, yes, circuits as I am an AI.”
“Ok, that answers some things. Since we’re going to be playing ask and answer, you ask a question now.” I responded trying not to pass any boundaries with my new company. If I’m going to be stuck in a cell I’d rather have someone or something to talk to, plus I might get some more answers.
“Very well I refer to my first question, have you given up on trying to break out?” She asked me. So she was watching me the entire time I’ve been awake, should have expected that. Then again I don’t really know what’s going on so I’m rolling with it.
“Ah, yeah. There’s no point, No key for the lock, the bars are solid, no lockpicking skills what so ever to speak of. In Otherwords, I am captured, and am forced to do your user’s bidding.”
“Seems like a conundrum doesn’t it?”
“Yeah…..Hey, that was two questions!” I realized pointing a finger in a random direction of the voice.
“So it was.”
“My next question is why I am in this cage?”
“You were captured by the one known as Hawk when he found you in the outer ruins in the city. In my opinion force was not needed, but he is being very protective of what he has.”
“Ok and where am I?”
“That is classified.” Val stated simply. “until we know you further we cannot trust you with the knowledge. What is your name?”
“Kiranim Silvanae, which you would have found in my diary. I assume you still have it?”
“Affirmative. You give us permission to read this diary?”
“Not like I have much of a choice, If it gets me out of here then I’m all for it. And can you tell Hawk not to beat me up anymore? I am not a fighter.”
“Ah, That is good to hear.”
“Final question, since I’m not going anywhere, can you stay and chat instead of hiding like you did before?”
“Depends on what my users decide, but for the time being, I can.”
Not wanting to get lonely I talked with val for hours, forgetting I was in a cage at the mercy of whatever was holding me here.
***************
Note from Author: SOrry this took me so long, i've been dealing with alot of stress as of late, as in my recent Blog on here showed, And I didn't know where I wanted to take this, so I let my mind take it for me. Sorry it has a lot of talking scenes in it, But it's litterally the first time I had talking characters in the same room. VAL is also something I've been wanting to use for a while. But never got a chance to do so.

up
91 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Please keep the chapters

Please keep the chapters coming, good story so far.

This was pretty good so far.

I like settings and things like this.
Keep up the good work as you're able, FL can get really rough at times.

Bailey Summers