The Decaying World: Kiranim

Printer-friendly version

Sparrow sat at a table in the cafeteria reading the girl’s diary. She was quite the information gatherer. If the diary was anything to be believed, Kiranim grew up in another world. Homeless but still finding a purpose in life. This thing call Free Running. Which, up till now, kept her safe and out of trouble. This Jeril seemed to have a positive effect on her. The more she read, the more engrossed in the girl she became. Until the point she didn’t notice Hawk behind her.
“You’re really into that diary.” Hawk announced his presence, causing sparrow to jump. “Sorry.”
“Don’t do that!” She was trying to catch her breath as she looked at him.
“I said sorry. Anyways, Find anything useful?”
“Yeah, It appears she’s not even from this world, which explains how she avoided the wave, and even now not under its effects. Sarlian is the name of her world she’s trying desperately to get back to. Even though she’s homeless she found her purpose.”
“I see. Does she have a name? and how did she end up here?”
“According to this Diary, Kiranim Silvanae. And as to how she got here, There was an experiment on her world that she volunteered to test.”
“A kid volunteering to test an experiment?” Hawk asked, not believing it.
“Yeah I know, But Val believes it and is integrating the information into her databanks as well. Those two are really getting along.” Hawk smirked turning back to the diary.
“Yeah I still find that a bit odd, that she sees Val as a friend instead of a computer.” Hawk rubbed the back of his head questioningly.
“Even though I am nothing but 1s and 0s does not mean I don’t have feelings Agent Hawk. How did your mission go?” Val piped in knowing Sparrow forgot about the mission.
“Ah, nothing to report. The readings are there, but it’s like nothings there. THeres debris around but if something was there it’s not there any longer.”
“Like teleportation?” Sparrow asked looking up.
“Seems to be. If that’s the case…”
“Then there are holes being torn in the fabric of reality. Bringing things in. I detect nothing missing otherwise.” Val continued.
“But if something’s coming through…..This girl…..Kiranim, their world was experimenting with teleportation. If that’s the case Maybe this Jeril came through looking for her. The way she writes about him, he was like a father figure to her.” Sparrow put the diary down and stood up looking at hawk. “And if he did, then we have to find him before anyone else does.”
“Why?” Hawk asked, seeming indignant.
“Because if someone’s coming through from another world. Then they’re being lead into a trap in this world. Into the pain and suffering that takes place. You’ve seen what the Wave does. It not only controls people, it turns their brain to mush so only their lower faculties are running. They become puppets! Pawns in a greater game!”
“and if the tower finds out and sends their minions to that world….” Hawk thought getting his mind on track.
“Then that entire world becomes like this one. And the Tower gains control of not two worlds, but an infinite number of worlds.” Val finished.
“If that’s true….then who ever came through if it was a person needs to be found. And warned.” Came a 4th voice. Sparrow and hawk turned towards it to find the girl, standing there outside of the cage. How did she get out? She was locked safely in it.

I looked at the two people infront of me. According to Val they were her….users….I don’t like that word. I prefer friends? Coworkers? Do AI have coworkers? Val is too much like a person to be an AI….so then what is she?
“But um If something came through and Val can track the Events….couldn’t she track a person’s signature that come through?” I offered.
“She’s right.” The one I believe to be sparrow offered as she looked at Hawk. “I mean that’s how we tracked her down. What we thought to be anomaly turned out to be her.”
“Yeah but how did she get out of the cage.” Hawk asked growling at me and moving to grab me. I shrank back when val chimed in.
“I let her out. I saw no reason to leave her in there any longer, as you only told me to keep her in there until we got the information on who she was.”
“Technicality!” Hawk looked up at the ceiling. Sparrow laughed.
“She’s got you there. Anyways, Kiranim is it? I assume you know how we are, considering you just spent 3 days chatting with Val in med bay.” Sparrow asked smiling at me. I nodded numbly. “Good then introductions are not needed. Val, can you do as she suggested and scan for any biological signatures that may have appeared there?”
Val didn’t respond which I took to mean she went off to do her ordered task. Sparrow offered me some food which I gladly took. Hawk wandered offsomewhere, I assume to do some work but it’s equally likely to be some sulking. He seemed to be the type who likes to be in charge, from what I saw. But I don’t have much experience in that regard. And I didn’t dwell on it too much. My top worry right now was what was going to happen to me. And if someone did come through from the otherside, was it Jeril? I have so many questions and no answers.

Elsewhere, the lone being hunkered down in a cave away from the cold. He had just narrowly avoided being caught by these strange people. They didn’t really appear to be capable of thought to him. So just as quickly as he found his way into the city, he found himself outside of it. Deciding to check it out tomorrow when it was daylight. His Free Running ability should give him the chance to avoid trouble for the most part. But would he find what he's looking for? Only time would tell.
Authors note:
Sorry for the length of the story, it's been a trying month. But we got progress! and a new person enters the field! Comments are as always appreciated, and This time, I wanna take your predictions on where the story is going. Thanks!

up
64 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Well O_O

Short but you can really feel like there is something here. THe makings of a story. The tower I wonder... I hope they can destroy it, whatever it is.

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

That might end up happening.

That might end up happening. I have plans for the tower. ^^ I'll leave it to you to figure it out what it is.

Never be afraid to push yourself to new limits. While you might not see the path, you will be amazed at what you can achieve.