A New Start in Life part 21

Printer-friendly version


A New Start in Life Part 21

The Girls Mk2.jpg

This is a gentle coming-of-age story about a college-aged boy becoming the girl he knows he truly is.
With the help of his two girl friends he becomes Susanna as they teach him all about life as a girl.
Please note this is a gentle, sentimental tale and although there is some sexual content it is inferred, NOT graphic and tagged where it occurs.

We reached the end of the dirt road and turned right back onto the unpaved alignment of Route 66 heading towards Santa Rosa.
Charley and I were sat quietly in the back each lost in our own thoughts. Shoni turned to me and said, “Susie d’you think you can update our Blog to tell everyone we are back moving?” (Remember we are Computer Geekesses – is that a word?)

I stirred and reached for our ipad the way we kept in touch with everyone we know is through a Blog we set up.
This was originally called ‘The 3 Wacky Witches Wanderings’ however when Charley joined us it became ‘The 3 Wacky Witches Wanderings + 1’.
Wherever possible we updated it every couple of days to keep everyone who knew us informed.
All our photos we also uploaded onto flikr that was linked to the blog. As well as this Kelly and Shonali used the ipad to speak to their families at least every two weeks and so as not to leave me out I also spoke to the ‘Mums’.

As well as speaking to ‘the Mum’s’ we also spoke to Keith and June and of course our mentor Al senior though this was done on our cell phones. Gill however was simply not talking to anyone.
Doing this took my mind off leaving though strangely enough it wasn’t Joe I was thinking about it was Mooha that lovely horse.
It wasn’t that I had forgotten Joe however we both were aware that there was no future in our relationship but Mooha and I had become friends – how goofy is that!

We carried on past Santa Rosa onto a place called Las Vegas Junction where true to our journey we took the old alignment through many places some with interesting names like ‘The Charles R Ranch, Seraphina and many more.
As we left Canoncito we passed some of the really old cattle trails the ‘Santa Fe Trail’ and the ‘Old Pecos Trail’ it was this one we took to enter Santa Fe.
We stopped there and visited The Wheelwright Museum as well as the International Folk Art museum, we picked up some supplied (water and of course cookies)

Then we set off again on the old alignment through La Bajada Hill. I was driving this stretch and what a pig it was! How do I manage to drive all the crap bits of road!
The road climbed slowly up La Bajada hill it was narrow designed for god knows what probably the narrow old fashioned cars of the 1920’s and 30’s also it was totally unmaintained, overgrown, rutted and steep! Oh god was it steep!
The guidebook told us it was the most challenging section of the route and only 4 x 4’s should attempt it.
However I made it up to the top of La Bajada hill and it was worth it for the view and experience. Then I had to turn around and go back towards Santa Fe - why me! I tried to get one of the others to drive BUT my friends kept telling me, “It’s your turn Susie.”

Part way down we branched off and followed the power lines in a south-westerly direction until we again reached the top. (These were the directions given in the guidebook)
Next it was down hill! Thank god that the Jeep had low ratio gears and a downhill setting as the gradient down hill was a terrifying 28%, by the time I reached the bottom I was sweating and trembling.
I was offering silent thanks that Al had insisted on teaching us how to use and negotiate steep slopes – but this had been a whole new ball game!
But the scenery was spectacular - or so the others told me - all I saw was the front of the jeep pointing down in what looked to me an impossible angle the vertiginous drop to one side and precipitous road downwards.

We followed the road towards Algodones passing ‘Fred Thompsons Indian Trading Post’. The reason we kept on the unpaved road because the weather had been fine and the book of the road said that it was ok to drive these in good weather.
The distance as the crow flies between Santa Rosa and Albuquerque was about 120 miles say just over 2 hours. However with the roads we had used it had taken us just under 8 hours!

We had to find our campsite off the Turquoise Trail – called by a strange chance ‘The Turquoise Trail Campsite’.
When we got there we found a place to pitch in the trees not too far away from the showers and restrooms.
After my drive up and down La Bajada I needed a shower – badly so I went and checked out the facilities they were really good.
Kelly joined me then as we were going back to the tent Charley and Shoni passed us heading for the showers.
Soon we were all showered and changed we found the laundry room and decided to do some laundry tomorrow - for now food was the priority.

Route 66 diner! Now this was a brilliant place it screamed the 1950’s the Fonz and all that.
The uniforms the waitresses wore were pure 1950’s pink checked gingham tight tops and flared skirt bobby socks and white trainer type shoes (I think they are called sandshoes but I am probably wrong) the food was burgers, soup and sandwiches and specials.
Oh and of course desserts – oh YES the desserts and the milkshakes I’m going to have to use the Y word again (yummy wonderfully yummy)
We decided to each get something different so we could taste each other’s food.
I went for a ‘Pile Up’ it was huge a pile of pan fried potatoes, chopped bacon, green chillies, 2 eggs, cheese with red chilli sauce on top!
It was amazing! That alone could have fed three of us and each of us had a different milkshake. Ohhhhh those milkshakes have I mentioned them?
We got talking to one of the waitresses all of whom were very friendly and simply chatted away to customers when they were not busy I mentioned that I loved her uniform which made her laugh saying, “These 50’s styles look great but a girl has to have a figure to make it work and they are tight to work in.”

While we ate we discussed where we were going over the next few days after New Mexico we were entering Arizona this is where we were leaving the road because we just had to visit the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley these were on the Arizona/Utah state line and were a must for us to see.
We left the diner about nine and headed back to the campsite the quiet time at the campsite started 10pm where you had to leave your car in the parking lot so we wanted to be back before then.
This was our first night camping in over three weeks but we rapidly organised ourselves into a routine and snuggled up to sleep.

Next day we all woke up about the same time Charley got the stove going while the rest of us went to shower and get ready. Then it was Charley’s turn to shower.
This was the routine we had gotten into while one of us got the stove going the other three get washed.
Then the three that are washed get dressed and sort the tent out and make coffee and tea – we were a well-oiled machine – at times!
We then went to find out about the area also to find some substantial breakfast. We were told about the Standard Diner in downtown Albuquerque.
Well worth the visit we ate like pigs and once again I’m going to have to use the ‘Y’ word, but it was.
While we were in Albuquerque we went for a look around the city eventually finding the Old Town this was a fascinating place very Spanish.
With loads of wonderful shops, café’s, museums and gallery’s a shoppers dream we spent all day - simply wandering around window shopping and resting with the odd coffee to people watch.

Then we went back to the Route 66 diner – have I mentioned the milkshakes?
Some of the same girls that worked the previous night were working and recognised us.
Mind you when you think logically we were easy to recognise four young attractive strangers three Brits and an American not your normal run of the mill group.
As we left a couple of the waitresses also left having finished their shift so it was natural that we stood out side talking. Then one of the waitresses asked us if the wanted a guide tomorrow as it was her day off work.
We eagerly asked her if she was sure as on a day off you catch up on all the things you don’t do because of work.
She that she simply goes hiking for relaxation and would take us on the Turquoise Trail if we wanted as we had mentioned that we were camping at the Turquoise Trail Campsite.
We arranged to meet Sandy at a place in Cedar Crest close to the campsite at about nine in the morning.
Next morning we were ready and headed for the Greenside Café arriving just before nine and parking up just as Sandy arrived in her car.
We went is for breakfast and tasted another delight called Sandia Toast this is sour dough bread dipped in orange and vanilla batter served with a heap of fresh fruit!

We all piled into our 4 x 4 with Sandy being the guide. This is a great route and I really recommended it.
We set off on Route 14 and then branched off to the left for a scenic drive onto I-25 - then you branch off right do another scenic drive back onto Route 14. (Every so often we would park the car and do a hike on the designated trails.
You do this all the was to Santa Fe then back down route 14 past places called San Antonio, Waldo Canyon Road, Lone Butte, Goldmine Road ending back in Cedar Crest in time for supper.
Us five girls had a great day continual talking, laughing just being girls and being 5 girls we attracted some attention from guys.

We ate at a place in Cedar Crest called RIBS BBQ! The name said it all so as to taste as much as possible Sandy suggested we got the Combination Platter.
When this came it was on a platter the size of a dustbin lid! It consisted of Beef Brisket, Pulled Pork, Ribs and Hot links, all with a mountain of fries and coleslaw and stuff!
The look on our faces said it all Kelly stammered, “Sandy, have you had this before?” Sandy simply grinned and answered, “Nope, never dared!” On the menu it said enough for four, there were five of us and we still had loads.
Finally we recruited some local guys about the same age as us to help us out and that was the start of a great night we were late back at the camp site so had to leave the jeep at the parking lot and walk to the tent!

Sandy was working next day until lunchtime so we arranged to meet her at the diner and spend the rest of the day with her.
Snuggling in the tent we decided that we would leave the day after tomorrow and head for Winslow Arizona!
This was on my insistence because I was determined to ‘stand on the corner in Winslow Arizona’ and get my picture taken – if only I could find the corner Glenn Frey sang about!
We also decided to stay in a motel because when we got to the Grand Canyon we’d be camping for over a week - Pamper time for the girls again

The next day we went to the diner for breakfast then wandered around more of old Albuquerque. Meeting Sandy at one when she finished so we were working our way through a chocolate malted milkshake each (have I mentioned these before?) Four guys came to our table to talk to us then Sandy joined us and she knew these guys.
But now there were four guys and five girls!
No problems, a quick phone call and there were five guys and five girls! And these guys were fire fighters hunky fit and gorgeous with a capitol G.
I have noticed that the more female I become the more my appreciation of the male body increases.
I was a bit reticent when I first lived as Susanna to even look at a guy now however with the hormones and stuff when a hunky guy is around I drool with the best of em!
You know? (Going off at a tangent) I enjoy being the hunted and not the hunter (to coin a phrase). I guess this is because I am truly becoming a girl in nearly every sense of the word but I never offer more than I am willing to give as Kelly and Shoni drilled into me ‘respect my body and myself’.

We had a really nice afternoon and evening Sandy took us to meet her parents and of course we recounted our story about going around the world. Then it was back to the firemen
Kelly was telling the hunky firemen about our trip when one of them said, “You’ve taken your time getting this far you sure a year is long enough?”
Now that caused us to think but what the hell our ticket is fully flexible we have loads of time until the money runs out that is.
Mind you after America we can do some work on the student visa’s we had.
We managed to get back to the tent before the ‘quiet time’ so we could park next to it.
Next morning we did our usual routine it was my turn to get the stove going we showered and dressed then packed up and headed for Albuquerque to say goodbye to Sandy.
We had breakfast said our goodbyes and hit the road again heading for Winslow Arizona and my date with a corner!

The journey was 270 miles, which we reckoned would take us an easy 6 hours, along the way we stopped at the giant meteor crater and of course a photo opportunity for us all.
We arrived in Winslow just after three in the afternoon looking for a place to stay we tried a couple but they were full eventually we found the Econo Lodge and got a standard double queen room for $30 a night - we booked in for two nights.
Once in the room we washed and changed and got our laundry ready for the doing before we left - if we could find a laundrette or whatever they are called here in the States. (I think they are called Laundromats)
Once we were all dressed our thoughts turned to food – it’s a good job we were young energetic and active girls or else we would be piling the weight on with all this lovely food.

At the reception Kelly being Kelly asked the girl, “My friend here is an Eagles nut......” She got no further the girl said grinning broadly “The corner in Winslow Arizona– right?”
Kelly simply nodded then commented, “So we’re not the first?” Again the girl grinned saying, “Nope and you won’t be the last” she then gave us directions to the actual corner which was right opposite a diner.
So we would kill two birds with one stone! Off we went it was a short walk but it was still lovely and warm we found the diner (and my corner). And as an added bonus there was a statue of a man playing a guitar AND a flatbed Ford – I was well happy.

The diner was called the Dar Diner and was nearly on route 66 it was great inside the staff very friendly and the food was good varied and cheap.
We decided to do the photo call tomorrow so we set about seeing what was in the town.
Apart from the ‘Standin on the corner’ park Winslow was a normal quiet place we had already visited the crater so we decided on the ‘Little Painted Desert Country park the ‘Old trails museum’ and McHood park.

So for two days this is what we did (as well as all our laundry and my photo on the corner The photo’s we got was me by myself then we got a passer-by to take a group picture) well rested we headed off for the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley.
This was about 150 miles - about three house or so – but the way we mess about it could take longer.
After packing up we were away by 10am. Just past a place called Williams we took the AZ-64 for the 60 miles or so to the Grand Canyon Village arriving just after two in the afternoon.
Being late in the season we were lucky and got a place to pitch our tent at Mather Campsite then we went exploring.
Since this was a once in a lifetime experience we were determined to see as much as we could and had money set aside for activities.
We were staying here for 3 days then going to the famous Skywalk at the west end of the canyon. Finally moving to Monument Valley for a few days primitive camping then retracing our route to re-join Route 66 where we left it!

Not necessarily in that order though - but you get the idea

As we wandered around the village we met up with a group of girls of a similar age to the four of us and got talking as it happened they were all going on the same all day hike tomorrow as we were.
We all had coffee and a burger and discussed what we were planning it was great to be with a group of girls again there were nine of us and we decided to stick together.
We jointly decided on tomorrow going to the orientation film and the Ranger program then a mule ride and a short hike.
The next day see the sunrise over the canyon (less people about) then do the full day hike of the canyon using the designated trails.
The final day we would hire cycles and go further afield.

Then we would head for Page AZ to really spend some money and go on a rafting trip plus a helicopter tour of the canyon this would cost $300 each! BUT we had to do it then stay in Page for a night or possibly two.
So this is what we did it was great being with a group and we had a brilliant time. Needless to say nine attractive fit girls really got attention from guys. But with us being in a ‘pack’ it was just friendly banter from the boys and the challenge of trying to separate one or two of us from the ‘pack’

Grand Canyon Village to Page is about 130 miles so we arrived there midday along with the California girls. (My name for them)
We booked our helicopter and rafting trip for the next day being late in the season it was reasonably quiet we had to find a camp ground and a Charley and Kelly’s stomachs were rumbling FOOD!
The campground was called Lake Powell Campground we got there and put our tent up.
Then we went to find food a guy at the campground recommended RD’s Drive in the food was good and reasonably priced after this we went exploring. Then back to the tents where we sang songs accompanied by Charley on the guitar.

The helicopter trip inside the canyon was mind blowing if the canyon looked impressive from the rim actually being inside it seeing things you couldn’t see from the lip – no wonder it’s a World Heritage Site!
Now the rafting was something else entirely from the lip and the helicopter the river didn’t look all that bad! But from an inflatable raft it was really scary and the rapids were serious but it was exhilarating and the four of us landed back on terra firma soaking wet but high on adrenaline.

Next we went to Monument Valley it was just the four of us as our new friends were going to the Skywalk then back to San Francisco where we promised to meet up with them to this end we had their cell phone numbers and they ours.

We drove to Monument Valley and pitched our tent at The Mitten View Campsite.
How to describe this much-photographed part of the world?
The Grand Canyon was spectacular - very much so. Seeing it on foot, mule by raft and from the air every way it is a spectacular and beautiful part of this country.

Monument Valley.jpg

But Monument Valley is on a whole new scale! It must be one of the most beautiful and spiritual places on earth.
Serene is one way of describing it sitting in the desert at night with a full moon and more stars than I have ever seen before the buttes seem to rise up to touch the stars it is a truly spiritual experience the four of us simply sat there bathed in moonlight lost in our own thoughts.

After 2 days of this spectacular vista which you could never tire of we set off on our way to the Skywalk, which is a 350 mile journey - re-joining Route 66 going through Flagstaff up to Kingman then to the Skywalk.
We camped at the Kingman KOA this was real cool! Each campsite had it’s own picket fence around the pitch our tiny tent looked lost! I think the camping pitches were designed for the multi room tents.
It was a friendly welcoming place we could have stayed there for longer but we had decided to visit – where else Las Vegas!
And we were going to have a motel while we were there – pampering time again.

What to say about the Skywalk except it’s a strange feeling to walk out over the canyon even though you know its safe I will admit that I nearly bottled it as the glass simply didn’t look strong enough – it was just so scary. But I wouldn’t have missed it for the world.
Charley was literally dumbstruck as we drove back to Kingman she quietly said, “Gee - I love you guys without you I would never have see any of this I’d have been stuck in Chicago serving fast food!”
Kelly gave her a hug saying, “And if you decide to come with us we’ll see more together.”
Charley simply looked at Kelly saying, “I’m going with you guys - just try and stop me – I’ll follow you if I have to!”
Shoni, who was driving commented, “You don’t have to follow us girl you’re one of us now. Susie you’re going to have to change our blog title.”
“Yes boss” I grinned getting the ipad and logging on I changed our blog name to ‘The Four Wacky Witches Wanderings’.
After I had done this I said to Charley, “Now you’ve got to stay with us!”

Arriving back at Kingman we got something to eat and settled down to talk and decide what we were going to do in Las Vegas.
First we had to find a place to stay we thought this could be difficult as it’s an all year round resort so onto the Internet to see what was available and at what price.
Result! Through Expedia we got the Travelodge Las Vegas Centre Strip at Gamblers rate (even though we were too young to gamble). So for a total of 3 days for the four of us we paid £108 a real bargain!
We got the usual standard room with 2 queen size beds we were well happy we paid there and then using our card.

Charley protested saying that she should pay something so as usual with us four girls a squabble broke out. This ended when Kelly said, “Right Charley you buy breakfast on the first day – OK?” She agreed happily what she didn’t know and Kelly never told her was breakfast is complimentary! Oh well we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

I don’t know if you have noticed, but I now totally think of myself as a girl. I only wish that whatever is stopping me getting my operation would go away!
The drive to Las Vegas took 2 hours and soon we were goggle eyed driving down ‘The Strip’ looking for the Travelodge finally we saw it set slightly back right next the big casino’s and it had free parking and as an added bonus a swimming pool!
We checked in. The sight of four bedraggled girls with backpacks didn’t faze the receptionist in the slightest.
Shoni said to no one in general “I’m looking forward to a long shower then hit the pool it’s been some week.”
The guy at the desk asked where we’d been we explained that we’ve lived under canvas for over a week.
With a smile he gallantly commented, “Well you would never have known it.” It was sweet of him and caused us to flirt with him unashamedly.

We got up to the room and staked our claim to a bed I ended up with Shoni the way we four girls worked is that we were comfortable with any sleeping arrangement.
Shoni hit the shower first while the three of us got our ‘girly’ clothes out sundresses and low heels we were going to look like girls for these three days. Then Kelly said completely out of the blue, “I’m going to get a manicure then she added and my hair trimmed and blow dried.”

We looked at her like she was stupid then Charley quietly commented, “You know that sounds like a good idea.” Shoni entered the room at that and asked, “What sounds like a good idea?” So we told her and she agreed then while the next one went into the shower Kelly whose idea it was went to find someone who could direct us to a salon!

Kell was soon back smiling from ear to ear, “Right girls, I’ve got the four of us in for nails and a hair trim nothing fancy I just told them a cut and blow dry – ok”
Shoni simply looked and asked, “What time?” Kelly replied, “About an hour” then she realised that she was the only one not showered and changed! “Eeeeeek” she squealed “I better get a move on”
We all managed to get to the salon in time and left a couple of hours later looking and very much feeling like girls.
After all it had been nearly two months since we last visited a hairdresser and much longer since we had our nails done.

We did all the usual things in Las Vegas apart from Gambling we could see the attractions the casinos had to offer. But being under 21 we couldn’t gamble but we could drink, as Nevada laws are different you can drink under the age of 21 so long as you have your parent’s permission.
Now this was difficult as Charley and I didn’t have any parents and Kelly and Shoni’s were some 8000 miles away!
So we asked and were told that as we were tourists so we could drink this meant we could have a couple of glasses of wine if we wanted and some cooling beer!
Our three days passed quickly and soon we were packing to continue - we were nearing the end of the road – literally.

We headed back to Kingman to re-join Route 66 on the way Kelly gave Al Junior a call and he said he would tell Grandpa!
Charley was driving so we spoke to Keith and June updating them on where we were and what we were doing.
We were in Kingman in just over 2 hours then we headed towards California hoping to get as far as Daggett that was another 200 miles or so.

As it was we got as far as Needles where we stopped and asked at the gas station about campgrounds.
We were directed to the Fender River Road Resort where we got a pitch overlooking the river.
We had our own picnic table, water supply and electricity I think the pitch was for trailer tents because our tiny tent once again looked lost!
We scouted around and finally ended up at the Wagon Wheel to eat to say the food came in large portions is an understatement!
It was a case of how much can you get on a plate and still be able to carry it! But the food was good.
This time we watched what others ordered before ordering; and realised that if we ordered one meal each there would be way too much.
So we ordered 2 meals and 2 empty plates and shared – see we are getting common sense just that we are nearly at the end of Route 66!

We finished eating then went for another look around before heading back to the campsite.
Kelly bought a mouth organ in one of the shops! We looked at her in askance but she simply shrugged telling us, “I’ve always wanted to play one so now seems the ideal opportunity”
As we drove back to the site she was squeaking away torturing her new toy (and us) making a horrible noise when Charley commented, “I used to play one a little bit when I was small I’ll show you if you want” – was there no end to the talents of this girl?
So Kelly had a teacher – thank the Good Lord.

Next morning we decided to go as far as Newberry Springs that was a short drive. If we had wanted to we were only about 300 miles to the end of the road but we decided to do this in two days – as we really felt sorry we were coming to the end of the road.
Shonali had been regularly phoning her aunt and uncle updating them on our progress so this mornings phone call was to tell them we would see them tomorrow night!
So off we set we had a monster breakfast at the Wagon Wheel then hit the road, we did a trip to the Mitchell Caverns had a photo opportunity at Bagdad rail crossing arriving at Newberry Springs five hours after we set off.

Once again we pitched our tent and I took the time to remove my girl bits and let my boy bit’s recover.
Then we checked what we had in the Jeep and made a list of what was going to be discarded and what was going to be shipped home.
We checked our backpacks because soon we would be living from them.
Next we went to eat at the Bagdad Café!
What a quirky place this is! It’s like something I have never seen before a cross between a museum, a film set and a café! (In truth it’s all three – true it’s not to everyone’s taste but to us it was amazing - friendly and well weird - the food was ok but we had definitely had better.)

Back to the campsite and an early night. We were up early the next day and after a coffee or tea depending on your preference in the morning we departed now we needed to find somewhere for breakfast.
Fifty miles later we finally found a place the Cajon Summit Inn breakfast was brilliant and as usual everyone was very friendly we lingered for a couple of hours then I took over driving to the end of the road.
With hindsight this was a mistake we should have let Charley drive, as after all she is a native! (Well Ok - sort of a native!)
I got us onto I-15 and headed south. Luckily Charley was in the front seat guiding me but the lane changes were horrible I must have cut up several other cars!
Through San Bernardino and onto Upland and on to Pasadena now we were on the last few miles.

From Pasadena we carried on into Las Angeles on the freeway I have NEVER seen that much traffic!
Through West Hollywood then Beverly Hills onto Santa Monica.
We got to Olympic Boulevard and the end of Route 66!
We had done it! It had taken about 2 months but WE had done it we found somewhere to park and sat there.
Finally according to our guidebook we had to visit the Will Rodgers Plaque then go for a walk on Santa Monica pier.
So we headed for the ocean and finally parked on the pier and got out of our trusty Jeep.
We were stunned; all this time on the road and we were on the other side of America having made many friends along the way.
We wandered along the pier and saw a Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. that was the first place we ate at in America all that time ago in Chicago on the Navy Pier.

But first we had to dip our toes into the Pacific Ocean as we stood up to our ankles in Pacific Ocean we had a group hug and a whoopee splashing water over each other like kids.
We had actually done it! We were so excited as we headed off to get our photo taken at the sign that marks the end and finally to eat - damp but very, very happy! And so very proud!

Our final totals were we set off from Chicago early October, it was now early December and we had travelled some 3160 miles in total what with our detours, diversions and of course getting lost a few times! Not bad for 4 Wacky Witches!

up
105 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

so girly!

I love this story

Thanks so much

Christina H's picture

I am glad that you are enjoying this I'll try to live up to your expectations

Christina

Endings!!

Dahlia's picture

I know that all good things must come to an end but I am dreading the end of this story. As I have read this last installment, I realize that even though I live in the state of Arizona I still have not seem many places. Sadly when we live somewhere we often miss the attractions that the rest of the world would love to see. I've been to Winslow many times, Lake Powell and the painted desert. I lived in Flagstaff and Kingman and have driven to the Grand Canyon many times, South Rim and the North rim. I've ridden the old steam locomotive from the town of Williams to the Grand Canyon. I was born in the historic town of Prescott and now live in Tucson but after 50 years I have lost the thrill. It is interesting to read how someone from a foreign country can find such fascination in the things I have taken for granted all my live. Thanks for making me appreciate what I have to enjoy. This country is huge as my British fiancee has said and if I live to be 100 I'll never get to see but a small portion.

Dahlia

P.S. I've been to Las Vegas more times than I can count and know exactly which Travel Lodge the writer describes. It sits tucked into a side street near the Circus Circus Casino. After all the lights and glitz, Vegas is a poor worker's town that isn't worth the effort.

Thanks for this.

Christina H's picture

Dahlia - I based the story on the trip I took back in 2010 with Kate (from take 3 girls) we didn't have the adventures but we travelled the same route and we camped out part time with motels the rest of the time and we stayed at the travel Lodge.
As for the story ending you have New Zealand, Australia and India to travel through. Oh and also parts of England - all of which we have done.

But I know exactly what you mean I live about 20 miles from York which is a really historic city and very rarely visit.
your fiancee is right, even in a little country like the UK I'll never see everything it has to offer with the States I think live to be a 1000 would be closer.

I am so happy that you are enjoying the story I really enjoyed writing it the girls became part of me

Christina

Phew!

Is this Journey's end for the moment....BUT where to next?
And why has Gil suddenly gone incommunicado?
And what things will the wacky witches cauldron cook up next?

I'll hang on eagerly awaiting the next instalment.

By the way..........Can you tell me the secret of how four girls like yourselves, can eat like hogs yet keep so slim, so I can do the same? I put on two kilos just reading the chapter!

Christina,

Christina,
I recently (Oct-Nov) took a memory trip on portions of US 66, but pretty much stayed on I-40 due to time constraints I had. I-40 is either laid right on top of old US 66; runs a very close parallel to it; or criss-crosses Route 66. Took US 93 from Kingman, AZ to Las Vegas, NV and stayed in the same Travel lodge written about in the story.
Went to the Circus Circus, the one in Las Vegas, is about 6 times larger than the one in Reno.
Really fun to read about places I have either lived in, near or have recently re-visited.
Janice Lynn

The Shoes

"Sneakers" is the generic American word for canvas-topped shoes with rubber or gum soles. (It's considered to be synonymous with "trainers" in the U.K., at least as the two terms were being used before categories got more complicated over the past couple of decades.)

The rubber-soled type worn mostly by preteen boys and girls in the late 50s and the 60s and by girls up through college age were generally known as Keds, from the name of the leading manufacturer, U.S. Keds, which advertised in national kids' magazines and television shows about then. (Wikipedia says the company was a division of U.S. Rubber (later Uniroyal), which mostly sold car tires.) Actually, I don't recall hearing the sneaker name applied to them back then, only to athletic shoes. But they merit the term more than those do, so it's probably just my memory.

Keds replaced saddle shoes (leather two-tone tops) as the standard for high school and college cheerleaders around 1960, I think.

The Keds style was unisex -- or close enough that I never noticed a difference -- and they mostly came in white. Pink ones intended for girls and, IIRC, denim-colored ones for boys came along a little later (and then other colors), but white remained the most popular.

Similar shoes, in white, became popular with women whose jobs entailed a lot of walking -- waitresses at diners, nurses, saleswomen in casual stores -- where white oxfords (leather) had been the norm before. Some apparently had gum soles rather than rubber.

Teenaged boys graduated to tennis shoes ("tennies") and basketball shoes ("hi-tops" or "low-tops", depending on whether they fitted above or below the ankle), as casual footwear regardless of what game if any they were playing. These of course also had canvas tops, were called sneakers, have a much longer history than Keds do and are the precursor to all or nearly all the athletic shoes, men's and women's, out there today.

My recollection is that most adult women used Ked-styled shoes for tennis -- at least the casual players did -- until women's sports participants became numerous enough to attract attention from manufacturers, often new companies. That was a lot later than the period we're discussing here.

(Not sure I'd ever heard the term "sandshoes" before your use here. Wikipedia says it's used in Australia, and regionally in England.)

Eric

Shoes

Sandshoes are white"tennis" shoes although these days the term has been replaced with "runners" down here in Oz.

I enjoyed your trip across the US though your trip through Arizona brought back a lot of memories of my trip there back in 2009. I have a coffee mug from Prescott, Arizona which gets daily use!

I look forward to the girls trip description through NZ(visited) and thoughts of my own country.

Joanna

Thumbs up

Rhona McCloud's picture

You make me and I guess lots of your other readers wish we could stick up a thumb and hitch a ride with the girls. One oddity to a much travelled reader is that the girls have an iPad, put their photos on Flickr and post a blog but have no Facebook friends? Is it an age thing?

Rhona McCloud

The Girls

Christina H's picture

Thanks everyone for the comments - I really love getting them, in answer to the weight and not gaining it - when I did the same trip I put 7lbs on Kate who is 20 years younger than me ate like a horse and never gained an ounce so I guess it's down to age and a slowing metabolic rate as you get older - and I did the same amount of hiking as young Kate!

I am really glad that you are enjoying the travels through the States and wish you could hitch a ride with them - I felt the same way for some reason while I was writing this 'The Girls' became family to me.

As far as OZ and NZ are concerned again this is from my visits to the counties and I hope I represent them in a good light which is how I found them.

My thanks for the pictures to my ACE graphics person and friend Rhona!

Chrissie

keep up the great writing!

Bobbie Sue's picture

Christina,

I have been reading along and just had to say how much I loved your story and style. Anything that doesn't quite seem right, I chalk up to Poetic License.

You're doing great so please continue. I especially love the tenderness in your way of handling of the deep personal issues.

Hugs

Bobbie Sue