Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2524

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2524
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I slept fitfully, worrying about this thing at the university—why did it have to happen in one of my labs? Why couldn’t it have happened in business or commerce, or even something like media studies—they could have done a documentary on it.

Then David—what had got into him? I remembered when he first came here. He was such a lovely man, he even babysat Catherine so I could go to see the TdF final stage. I couldn’t believe he’d changed so much. I suppose in some ways I was mourning for the man who’d run my kitchen with such efficiency and who I regarded as a friend as much as an employee. I couldn’t let our relationship end like this. Resolving to speak to him in the morning, I finally fell into a deep sleep.

The next morning, I had three bodies slip into bed with me. I think it was still dark but I presumed Simon had already gone, so it was probably later than it felt. I dozed for a while before the whispers and giggles woke me. I still felt tired but decided to try and keep my temper as much as I could, after all it wasn’t the girls’ fault I hadn’t slept but my own monkey mind.

After a giggly breakfast which annoyed even Danni, the girls went off to play with Livvie’s Wii. Danni was quite smartly dressed and made up. “Where are you going?”

“I have some shopping to do, can I go to town, Mummy?”

“As long as you’re careful—who are you meeting?”

“Um—Carly an’ Cindy.”

“Have you got some money?”

“I’ve got twenty pounds.” I reached into my bag and gave her another ten. “Cor, thanks, Mum.”

“Just in case you need to buy yourself lunch.”

“You’re the best mum in the world.” She pecked me on the cheek.

“It’s peculiar that you only consider that so after I give you money.”

“Nah, I think it all the time but if I said it, you’d take it for granted, wouldn’t ya?”

“I don’t think I’ll ever take you for granted, especially after your evidence helped me to save Jim’s life.”

“When was that?”

“When Gareth was killed, remember his fake brother?”

“Oh yeah, Gareth had a sister not a brother.”

“Exactly that.”

I’m sure her little chest swelled with pride—if it had got any bigger she’d have popped her bra straps—as she pulled on her coat, redid her lip gloss in the kitchen mirror, grabbed her bag and calling, ‘byee’, she left to catch the bus.

I cleared the kitchen of breakfast debris; I’d only dirtied a cup, my tummy churned too much to eat and I pulled on a cardigan and walked over to David’s cottage. My tummy felt awful as I knocked on the door. I heard some sort of noise from inside and entered.

The curtains were still closed and I drew them open to be able to see anything. David was half sitting, half lying on the settee, several empty bottles of wine were on the floor.

“Oh it’s you,” he said dismissively.

“Coffee?”

“Please,” he almost groaned.

As the kettle boiled I heard him stagger to the bathroom and use the loo. A little later I carried two coffees back to his sitting room, he returned a minute or so later having dressed rather hurriedly. I bet he still had the same underpants on, but I wasn’t going to ask him.

He picked up the black coffee and sipped it, “Thanks,” he said.

“You’re welcome.”

We sat watching each other like two gunfighters, only I hoped this was going to end peacefully. Whatever the outcome, he’d helped me significantly at different times and I had to let him know that I recognised it. I also had to tell him that I was sad if he did leave, but I’d understand.

Having watched each other we both tried to speak at the same time—just like a duel—but we both fired wide because I suspect we neither of us meant to hurt the other.

“Ladies first,” he invited me, so I had to say my piece giving him time to react or counter anything I said. I’d better just tell the truth and let him do whatever he wants with it.

“I’ve come to say that we’ve both been under a lot of stress recently and perhaps that showed last evening. I was sharp with you because what you said hurt me. I was disappointed because I thought we were friends as well as colleagues and I hope you might reconsider and stay with us.

“I’m grateful for all the help and support you’ve given me over the couple of years you’ve been here, which I really appreciate although I might not have said it as often as I could. You’ve also been an inspiration in our kitchen and I know all the others would miss you dreadfully if you went.

“If you do decide to go, I won’t try to stop you and will give you a very good reference, I’ll also give you a month’s pay in lieu of any outstanding holidays. If you do go, I hope you’ll be happy in a new job and remember us with affection.”

He looked at the floor most of the time I spoke only looking up when I stopped.

“Damn you,” he said and I felt a shudder go through me, but he also shook. “I was determined I wasn’t going to cry—look at me—real macho man, not.” He grabbed a piece of toilet roll he was obviously using as tissue paper and wiped his eyes and nose.

“I don’t know what came over me yesterday. You’re probably the best employer I’ve ever known by far, you’ve also been a great friend and support—remember my brother?”

I did and we both smiled.

“I’m sorry that I snapped at you, talk about biting the hand that feeds you, but for some reason the fact that you had Simon and I had no one, and you offering me time off just caught me wrong, as if you were gloating. I know you didn’t mean it like that, but that’s how I took it, an’ feeling down and not sleepin’ too well—sorry, I was out of line an’ if you want me to move on I will.”

“What would you like to do?” I asked.

“Me? Get Ingrid an’ Hannah back an’ stay here looking after you lot, my second family.”

“I don’t know about Ingrid and Hannah, but I’d like to second the rest of that statement.”

“They’ve gone—had a card from Hannah, saying she missed me but Ingrid was never going to change her mind and come back. Story of my life, I s’pose.”

“Does she do facebook?”

“What good is that to me, haven’t got a computer?”

“No but we have, and I have probably half a dozen girls who could show you how to access it, set up your own page and hopefully keep in touch with Hannah.”

“I think I’d like that, at least I could still share in her life a little.”

“After dinner, assuming you’re going to make one for us, I’ll ask Trish to help you get started.”

“Yeah, that’d be good.”

“Friends again?” I said standing and offering my hand.

“Yeah, friends again.”

I also knew what to buy him for Christmas.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
264 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cathy has a real gift

It's difficult to swallow your pride and apologize and Cathy just did a fantastic job of it. And of course you did a great job of writing it Angharad.

Well done Cathy

takes a very strong person to admit they were sorry that they said what they did, Put in the same position i would like to think i would react in the same way... Not sure i would though, i can be quite stubborn at times, Thankfully David was of the same mind, So all's well that ends well, That is if David can find some way of reuniting his family, Its not going to be easy but if you do not try you will never know if you might succeed...

Kirri

I'm glad that Cathy and David

I'm glad that Cathy and David had this talk, and cleared the air between them. With both being sorry as to how they hurt each other, I think they will have a stronger relationship.

All's well that ends well

The best happened for all involved, both put there adult personality's forward and fences were mended. Fantastic bit of writing again Angharad you just keep us coming back for more.

Thank You very much

Huggles

Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif