Three Wise Men & Maggi - Final Chapter

Printer-friendly version

Three Wise Men and Maggi
By
Julie D Cole
Chapter 4
Stage-show-northampton-1024x682.jpg

I edited the first 3 chapters for better flow and finished the story that I hope is improved and is suitable for Christmas.

Jesus is a guy who has the good fortune of being able to enjoy life also as Jesci. Maggi was born a man became an entertainer, female impersonator and lives as a woman. She was very successful but feels she is aging so she decided to sponsor and produce her musical show for the Christmas season and she invested heavily. She lost her leading lady in an accident and the three wise men, who are taking part in the show, go looking for a replacement but time was against them. Maggi insisted they followed a star shining brightly in the sky with the belief it was a sign and that they'd find the savior she needed. They head to York which is always full of surprises.

.................................................................................................................................................................................................

Jesus went to bed late and woke up early. He needed the bathroom for sure but also he didn’t need any more sleep because, inside him, Jesci was far too excited. This was her big chance and she hoped she could make her mother proud along with all of her friends who had supported her both as Jesus and as Jesci. As she stooped over the toilet basin she looked in the mirror. Something had happened to her since there was no sadness in the face she saw just softness and a look of satisfaction.

.................................................................................................................................................

After a quick shower she took out her overnight bag from beneath her bed and packed a few essentials. She was going to meet this production manager and needed enough things for at least 2 nights. Most things around the flat were not practical for daytime wear as Jesci. She settled for her unisex clothes she wore for college even though it might not hide Jesus to strangers or passers- by. But she’d survived with girl-friends dressed like this and with a little re-styling of her hair she would easily gain access to any exclusive female area.

She managed some toast but that was all she allowed herself. She loved to be slim and she wanted to stay that way forever.

He was brought back out of his reverie by his mobile phone that was flashing a message to see if he was awake. It was mum so he called her to re-assure her and to say he would go and wished she was with him for support. His mum made all the mum excuses and the promises that she’d try her best but to rely on Kathy since she couldn’t afford the time off work. He promised to call her when he arrived and to keep her updated and he had once final attempt to get her to change her mind before he left to meet Kathy and these Three Wise Men at The Stables.

Mum looked in the mirror and burst into tears. She was so happy-sad and so pleased she’d left her bullying partner to support her son when he needed her most. He’d blossomed due to the support and attention he’d received and to her it didn’t matter if she felt more girl than boy and she would help him if he decided to live the rest of his life as her daughter. She was lucky in her mind because she had both. She would not rest all day but she had another reason not to go that she’d not told him and now was not the right time. One day soon she’d tell him.

Kathy took him aside as soon as he appeared at the pub. ‘Let’s make you a little more presentable young lady. Remember first impressions and all that count a lot. You will knock them dead. Len and I are going to help as much as we can so don’t worry. We’ll look after your mum, you just do us all proud young lady. When you get the job we’ll find you somewhere to stay whilst you practice and cover your costs back and forth to University. ’

‘But how can I repay all this kindness. I don’t know why I am suddenly so lucky after the last few years of hell.’

The journey took no time at all as the Three Wise Men laughed and joked and did a few songs they were practising for the show. Jesci snuggled up beside Kathy and joined in sometimes to sing a few bars of songs that she would be singing if she passed the test. Mostly they sang ‘follow the yellow brick road’ and ‘we’re off to see the wizard’ that they changed a little to incorporate Maggi.

Jesci couldn’t help but feel the other two candidates were not getting a fair chance so she thought she might talk to them and tell her she might not be able to take the role even if she won because she had to think of her mother and her target of qualifications to earn enough money to keep them both comfortable. When they met again she was surprised to find they had lots of friends and family with them for moral support.

Kathy just squeezed his hand and whispered ‘just think how privileged they all are. They are all going to see you before you become famous.’

Jesci smiled back and disappeared into Kathys barmaid size bosums. It made her feel a lot better and she would do her best.’

The guys disappeared to meet Maggi whilst Kathy decided to set to work on Jesci. She looked very pretty with the make-up and dress and she topped it with the same wig from the night before.’

Maggi chatted to all three of the candidates and said she wanted them to relax and not to assume a role would be offered because she was still scouring the area and in contact with agents and friends. The auditions were not formal and they could each sing whatever songs they wanted if they’d brought their music along. Jesci had no music. She’d never dreamt it was needed and Kathy kicked herself for not checking.

Jesci sent a text to her mum saying she couldn’t win now because she had not prepared herself. Kathy took hold of the phone. ‘ Too late young lady, you’re on next. Sing what you like and you don’t need music. Anyway Jack will pick up any tune on the piano. It’s his job. He’ll look after you. ‘

She stayed back to talk with her friend for a while to re-assure her everything was OK and then said she’d leave it on so she could listen to Jesci sing.

She was nervous and missed a few notes but Maggi just smiled and shrugged her shoulders. Jesci seemed to freeze and Maggi stood up and walked towards Jack and asked him to play ‘Somewhere over the rainbow.’ She passed the lyrics to Jesci. She knew the song from watching the film with her mum and it always made her mum cry.

She hit every note with perfection and Maggi was suitably impressed. Jescis mum was in tears again as all the salon had insisted she switch on hands free and had been listening with her.
Maggi shook her head and looked at Jack as he turned for her reaction.

‘My oh my oh my young lady. Where on earth did you come from. That was perfect. Please let me hear you sing a little more. Do you have a favorite song so I can check your range? Did you ever act or appear in shows?’

I do know ‘ My heart Goes on ‘ that I like. Jesci turned to Jack and asked if he knew it. He smiled and said ‘If you hum it and see if I know it. Celine comebody or other sang it didn’t she if I recall.’ Maggi smiled since it was her song.

If only Jesci could have seen her mothers face. The proudest mum in the world and enough tears to sink the titanic.

‘Jesci please you’ve got the job’ she said as she turned to the others with a look of apology.’ Can you start today?’

Jesci hesitatated. The phone was still switched on and her mum was shouting as loud as she could but she couldn’t hear. Kathy had propped it against the wall in front of a speaker.

‘Miss May I’d love to take the job but really I can’t. I’m not a girl.’

Maggi looked in surprise ‘ What do you mean not a girl?

Jesci pulled away the clips that held the wig and pulled it from her head. ‘I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have come today. I shouldn’t be like this I’m a freak and an imposter.’

If only Jesci knew before she spoke she’d have realised this was not an issue. Maggi stepped towards Jesus and put her arms around him as he burst into tears and sobbed.

His mother just said ‘Oh no Jesus no.’
Maggi took Jesus to a seat in the corner whilst the others took a break. Kathy captured the phone to check if her friend was still on the line. She assured her everything was fine.

Maggi told Jesus all about her background and how she’d had the same challenges as a young boy and gone on to be a star. She offered to help him and said she thought Jesci was beautiful and should perform.

So that was that Jesci was there to stay and her mum was relieved, Kathy burst into tears, Jack, Jim and Johnny danced a jig and sang ‘the witch is dead’.

The two other girls got chorus parts and rehearsals were soon back on schedule. The next 2 weeks were a blurr. Maggi was in her element and worked everybody hard. The key investors visited and were impressed and ticket sales were more than satisfactory. Christmas was always a costly time so the show had to be perfect.

On the opening night The Three Wise men were simply magical but the sweet voice of Jesci brought total silence followed by cheers from a very appreciative audience.

There was a back stage presentation and Maggi was so proud of everybody, especially Jesci. She looked at her several times and then asked if her friends and her mother would like to join them at a party in York. They’d seen the show and were waiting outside for Jesci.

‘Yes they are outside. I hope my mum is there I didn’t find her in the audience. She promised she’d come and her phone is switched off.

Len and Kathy appeared so Jesci ran towards them. She looked every inch a young girl in the dress and red shoes.

‘Have you seen mum I can’t find her? Did she come with you?’

‘Don’t worry Jesci she saw you. She was so proud as we are. ‘

‘Where is she?’
‘She’s over there trying to hide away. Go drag her in please’

Jesci and her mum had a few moments together before they were spotted. Jack pulled them into the centre of the room and gave a short speech with compliments galour for Jesci and turned to her mum. ‘You must be very proud, does she get her talent from you?’

‘ No from her father not from me. I am so proud of her. I knew she had his talent and he's seen her now so I am sure he will be just as proud. I hope this means Jesci can see prejudices have changed and she can be who she wants. ‘

Jesci looked at her with a puzzled expression?

‘Mum don't say that. He hurt you. I don't want him in my life ever again. I hate him mum I hate him.’

‘No Jesci you don't understand. Not your step father, he's out of our lives forever whatever happens.'

The room fell silent and Jesci looked more even puzzled as mum fought back the tears and aided by a tissue from Jack and an arm for support she said ' I mean your father, I hope he can forgive me and help you.’

Maggi stepped forward and took her hands looking into her youthful face. Her hands were not as smooth as hers but her beauty was natural. She didn't need the make-up to cover the cracks like Maggi but both would turn heads anywhere. .

‘Helen! It’s you. And Jesci? Am I ? Is this? Can it be?’

‘Yes, surely you can tell. She is as talented and beautiful as you. Now she needs you more than me’

........................................

‘Somewhere over the rainbow
Skies are blue,
And the dreams that you dare to dream
Really do come true.’

up
118 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I did my best

Sorry it took so long to finish this story but I missed the original deadline so I was miffed with myself for having been distracted so much.
I didn't get any comments but the hits were reasonable and so is the kudos so I am glad I found the time.
We seem to have a lot of new writers so maybe it's time to hang up my boobs for a while or maybe I will just go back to one or two and finish them and then just focus on single chapter short stories. I did ok when I look back these last 3 years so let's see.

Jules

I'm all for

finishing stories if your story has an end. if not please just update often enough that we don't lose the thread and have to reread it just to figure out whats going on. there are few things worse that getting to chapter 16 of a riveting tale and see no updates for 3+ years. the ending was unexpected, nice one.
thanks for the chapter

Feedback

Helps a lot and motivates so thanks for this. I always had the end twist in my mind but sometimes I'm influenced by the readers.
Thanks for stopping by my story. I hope to attract you back.

Jules

3 wise men.

Truckskirt's picture

I have been reading all your stories. And this has been one of the Best. This stories has put a lump in my through. Please keep writing more good stories.

3 wise men

I'm sorry to miss your kind comment. I'm embarrassed to receive praise for a story that missed the deadline and took so long to complete.
Recently I became frustrated since for the second time I dropped my computer on a hard floor and damaged the hard drive. So much information and all my stories in progress not accessible unless I take to Sony for repair.
But it won't stop me as long as I feel I make a contribution.

Jules