Healing Cousin George - Part 8 Alex Unmasked

Printer-friendly version

Debbie picked up the two small packages I had bought and walked round the car to join me. As she reached me, Pete walked towards us.

“Here it goes...” I muttered under my breath.

“Hi Alex!” he smiled.

I froze.
 

Healing Cousin George

Part 8 - Alex Unmasked

by Karin Roberts

 
We had pulled into a seafront car park and unpacked Melissa’s buggy. We set off along the shoreline in the bright sunshine; a sea breeze just 'fresh enough to keep you cool' blew in our faces.

“Fancy a bite to eat?” Debbie asked.

“Yeah, why not?”

“There’s a little café over there, with tables outside,” she said, pointing up along the road.

We walked on along and found a table outside sitting down. I parked the buggy, securing the brake as I did so. We sat down and both lit up cigarettes, making sure that Melissa was out of the path of any smoke. A waitress approached us and we both ordered smoked ham and cheese baguettes, along with a cup of black coffee each.
 
 
A few minutes later, she returned with our order. We stubbed out our cigarettes. She spied Melissa and pulled faces in her direction, as adults do in the presence of babies.

“Oh she’s a little sweetheart! Yours?” she gestured towards me.

“Yes. Her name is Melissa.”

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Debbie stop, just as she was about to eat her baguette.

“Well, she’ll break a few hearts,” the girl commented as she nuzzled Melissa’s cheek with her hand. A smile broke out across Melissa’s face at the human contact.

“Enjoy your meal,” the waitress smiled, as she moved on. I turned and looked at Debbie. She was staring straight at me.

“What?” I said.

“It’s just, when she asked whose baby that was, you said 'yours.'”

“Well... I needed to say something.”

“Yeah, you did!”

“Well... I'm just playing the part.” I said as I took another bite from my lunch. Debbie merely smiled at me and began to eat.
 
 
The rest of our trip was spent largely window shopping, although I bought a couple of cute little tops for Melissa. Soon, it was time to drive home with Melissa sound asleep in her safety seat in the back of the car. We set off for home around four, hoping to get back in time to make dinner for Gavin and George. As we turned into our driveway and approached the house, I could make out the shape of Pete loading some bags onto the back of a small truck.

“Shit!” I said.

“What is it?” Debbie asked.

“Er, well, Pete has only met the other Alex and I’ve no idea what George has told him."

I felt nervous as the car pulled to a stop outside the house.

Getting out, I unloaded Melissa. Debbie picked up the two small packages I had bought and walked round the car to join me. As she reached me, Pete walked towards us.

“Here it goes...” I muttered under my breath.

“Hi Alex!” he smiled.

I froze.

“How’s your brother doing?”

My breath returned.

“Eh, he’s fine,” I stammered.

“George told me he got a job, how’s it panning out?”

“Eh, just fine - early days though” I said.

“Well, tell him I said hello! I need to get back to George. He’s asked me to let you know he will be late for dinner, maybe around seven,” he said,

“Ok."

“See you.” he called as he turned away back towards the truck.

We walked inside.

“I need a drink. You want one?” I asked.

“Not for me. I’m driving.” Debbie replied.
 
 
Leaving Melissa asleep on the couch, I crossed over to the drinks cabinet and poured myself large vodka. Then I dropped in some tonic and a couple of ice cubes. The clear liquid fizzed as I took a drink.

“Are you ok?” Debbie eyed me as she switched on the kettle to make coffee.

“Yeah... I'm fine.” I said, "That was close."

“Not really. He had no idea and George had obviously told him that Alex had gotten a job.”

I took another drink.

“Yeah, I suppose so. But it shows you how dangerous all of this is.” I said, pointed at the clothing I was wearing.

“Look. It’s fine. There’s no problem. No one has read you so far. Christ, even a waitress thought you were the baby’s mother today,” she said as she poured hot water into a mug to make coffee.

“Eh, I suppose,” I said, finishing my drink and putting the glass in the sink I crossed to take Melissa from her buggy.

“Quit worrying and just relax,” Debbie said as I lifted Melissa out.

When George got back that evening, I asked him what he had told Pete about me.

“It’s ok I told him just like he said that Alex had got offered a job over the summer and you had to take it,”

“So what about the both of us having the same name?” I enquired.

“That’s cool! I said you were really Alexandria , but like Alex for short. We had a laugh about it he said it must be confusing at home.”

“Yeah, well he got that one right. I’m confused.” I added.

“Well, you must have made quite as impression, because he couldn’t stop talking about you all afternoon,” I blushed and left the room stepping outside into the night air. I lit a cigarette and puffed on it nervously this was getting complicated but there was no way back now.

Me and Debbie’s daily life continued with our morning fitness sessions and afternoon girly days out or shopping trips. One thing did change however Pete was becoming a daily visitor to the farm. Each day at some point he would appear either to collect something or bring a message to me from George.

“I think you’ve got an admirer” Debbie teased one day as Pete was busy loading some wire fencing into a jeep.

“Quit it, maybe it’s you he likes” I snapped back.

“No definitely you. Anyway, look at him: young, strong... I wouldn’t kick him out of bed for eating crisps” she said, taking a drag from her cigarette before crushing it out.

“I think your forgetting something,” I said with an edge to my tone, “I’m not exactly what I seem, am I?” I said quietly.

“Eh? I suppose not. I forget some times because you’ve come so far, there is not even the slightest hint of the old Alex in you anymore,” she stopped looking at me.

“Oh he’s in here somewhere,” I said, blowing out a cloud of smoke and crushing my cigarette in the ashtray I left the table and went to check on Melissa.

Later that week we had just finished our workout, I was in the shower, and Debbie was fussing about in the kitchen making lunch. Our afternoon out today was postponed, as Debbie had an appointment with her dentist later that day. I dried myself and crossed the hallway to change. I put on a white lacy bra and matching panties, my breast forms now a permanent fixture, always in place I had become accustomed to them being there at all times. I pulled on a pair of flesh coloured tights and slipped my arms into a white cotton blouse leaving the usual two buttons undone showing a bit of my cleavage. For the hanger’s of my increasing girly wardrobe I took a lemon skirt which covered me to just above the knee and pulled it on. Sliding my feet into a pair sandals with cork wedge heels, I freshened up my make up before going down to join Debbie, as I walked down the stairs I could hear the sound of voices, first Debbie and then Pete it seemed my stalker had paid another visit today I wonder what today’s excuse would be a slight smile creeping across my face.

“Oh hi Pete” I said entering the kitchen and smiling in his direction,

“Pete’s here to collect some fence posts for George I asked him to stay for lunch” Debbie smiled at me.

“Maybe he doesn’t have time? George will be waiting.”

“Oh no I think I can spare fifteen minutes or so” he said, “If you don’t mind me joining you?”

Debbie answered “No that’s fine you two sit down I’ll serve up.”

“Eh I’ll just check on Melissa,” I said, moving towards the lounge. I found her fast asleep. I stroked her forehead and walked back to the kitchen as Debbie poured some soup into three bowls. I sat down at the table.

Conversation was a bit awkward over lunch. Pete was clearly nervous probably just as much as me, but we kept the chat flowing somehow as Debbie rose and took our bowls to the sink to wash up.

“Leave them, I’ll wash up later.”

“You sure?” she asked.

“Yeah, it will be fine. Anyway, you made lunch.” I said, as she put the bowls in the sink, before returning to join us.

“So Pete you got a girlfriend” Debbie asked, I could see him visually curl up before us.

“Eh not just now” he replied nervously.

“How about you take Alex out for the night? I mean, she’s stuck down here without any friends.”

I coughed “Eh, what you doing Debbie?”

“Well, you’re stuck in this farm all the time for the last few weeks, you could do with a night out and some fun.”

“Maybe Pete’s busy and anyway I’ve got Melissa to look after,” I said.

“Oh, George could do that for one night. Just a film, maybe a drive around on Pete’s motorbike, you have seen it haven’t you?” she asked.

I blushed “Yeah I’ve seen it,”

“Well then, a chance to see a bit of the countryside, get some fresh air.”

“I get enough fresh air here,” I said.

“Nonsense you need some company other than us, how about it Pete a deal” she looked at him he looked embarrassed.

“Well if Alex wants to” he said.

“She does” Debbie answered for me.

“Next Friday be ok?” Debbie asked.

“Eh yeah fine. I better go now. It’s about seven.”

He looked at me. I was still shell-shocked. I nodded.

“Ok see you then.”
 
 
The last few minutes had just been a daze “What the hell are you playing at?” I said to Debbie after he had gone.

“Relax Alex! It’s just a night out. Nothing serious. It’s not like you need to shag him or anything.” I blushed.

“Just as well for that then,” I said. She laughed.

“Look. It’s just a night out. Nothing serious! It’s just to get you away from here for a couple of hours.”

“I like being here!”

“Yeah, I know you do. But what harm can it do? It will also give George a chance to look after Melissa on his own - a bit of father-daughter time. I mean, it’s not as if he has done much of that recently, has he?” she looked at me.

“Well, it’s a hell of a risk for starters.” I said, “What if he finds out?”

“Look, a ride on the bike, a drink maybe, a meal ,a film or something, then back here.” she said.

I sat stunned, looking across the room .“I suppose, but George will go mad” I said.

“Oh, let him! He’s got Amanda to keep him company. You need some friends as well! Look, I need to run. I’ll call you later, Ok?”

“Ok.” I said, as she picked up her bag and headed for the door. I went outside with her and lit a cigarette as I watched her drive off. George will go mad! I thought as I blew some smoke into the air. Finished, I extinguished the cigarette and went back inside. Melissa was still asleep so back in the kitchen. I set about washing the dishes, my mind was miles away from what I was doing.

I heard a noise.

Someone spoke “Eh excuse me is Alex here?”

I spun around, a bowl dropped from my hands, smashing on the floor in front of me.

“Eh Mum?” I stopped.

“Alex... Alex is that you?

up
79 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Amazed

joannebarbarella's picture

I am absolutely amazed that this series doesn't get more attention than it does. It is such a very nice evocation of transition with no violence, no force and lovely Scottish background and dialogue. Karin, just so you know, I love it.

Silence that stretches on for hours

I remember the first time I was "caught out". It was just.....I don't have words for it.

Great Story.

Incidentally, I have a lot of heritage from over there and somehow Mom wanted an attachment to it; though she never talked about it. Gwen is my birth name, and I have two brothers, Aven and Logan. So far the best I can do is dream about going over there sometime.

Gwenellen

Heritage

Gwenellen

I take it you mean you have Scottish Heritage from which part ?

Don't be in any hurry to get here take away the scenery and you don't have a lot. Also a great intollerance to the subject matter of this story. It's just as well it's fiction because it would not be likely to happen in macho Scotland.

Karin xxx

It's about time I commented instead ok Kudo's only

I love it, nice and gentle, easy to read and most enjoyable.

I know I'm 3 years late reading it, but well done Karin.

Thank you.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita