Healing Cousin George - Part 18 - Family Bonding – Part 2

Printer-friendly version

“Ok I’ll leave it then, you’re are a grown man and Melissa is your daughter so it’s your decision. I just don’t think that after Grace you two should be apart. Ok it’s bound to happen that a good looking guy like yourself would meet somebody else. But just be careful. Neither of you can take another break up. So make sure you make the right choice for the right reason.” I said.

Healing Cousin George

Part 18 - Family Bonding — Part 2

by Karin Roberts


 
We wandered along looking for somewhere to grab a snack. George was first to spot the “Bizarre Bar.”

“What about in there” he said as he pointed across the square.

“Looks fine to me” I replied taking a firmer grip of Melissa’s hand we walked towards it.

“Want to get something to eat babes?” I smiled bending slightly towards her.

“No play” she said pulling at my hand.

“Later babes. Me and Dad need a snack.”

“Play” she insisted.

George looked at me “Looks like she’s not hungry, but I could sure do with a coffee and a sandwich.”

Scanning the building I noticed a sign “Look it’s got a crá¨che maybe we could get something while she plays away”

“We could check it out I suppose”

I left Melissa at the door while I went inside to check on the facilities, a waitress stood just inside the door to escort people to a table.

“Eh excuse me, I noticed the sign on the wall it says you have a crá¨che?” I enquired.

“Yeah there’s a full play area just around the corner: trampolines, climbing frames, chutes the works. There are a couple of assistants that will look after the children till you have had your meal.” she answered.

“Eh thanks. Just round there?” I gestured with my hand.

She nodded.

A few minutes later we had left Melissa in the capable hands of one of the Play supervisors. She immediately made a dash for the chute hardly noticing that we had left as we walked back towards the restaurant.

Inside we were seated and gave the waitress our order as we sat facing each other at the table.

I was desperately trying to think of conversation to speak to George about. Well, really about Amanda. Then, he broke the ice for me.

“You’ve been a bit quiet today” he asked.

“Have I?”

“Anything on your mind?” he pressed.

“Eh there is a bit. But you will only get angry or fly of the handle like you usually do” I said as the waitress approached us with our food and drinks.

“I guess it’s about Amanda then…” he sighed.

I nodded.

“God Alex! We’ve been through all this before.” he let loose, casting a gaze out the window as the waitress reached our table.

“That’s just it George. Any time I try to talk to you, you won’t listen! Can I just get a couple of minutes without you going off on one? I promise I won’t ever bring it up again!”

George dropped some sugar into his coffee and lifting up the milk jug, poured some in, “Well if it’s going to lighten your mood a bit and bring an end to it, then go ahead. But I warn you, I won’t have you bad mouthing Manda just for the sake of it.”

I took a deep breath, “Ok. Look, I don’t really know her that well I’ve only met her a couple of times. But I just don’t think that she’s right for you or Melissa. I don’t doubt that she’s attracted to you, I mean you’re a good looking guy.” A blush quickly spread across my face.

I went on “I just think though that she’s not that interested in children or that good with them for that matter. I think that she might want you but not really the family. I can see her getting her feet under the table and then coaxing you to send Melissa away to maybe a boarding school or something, you know one of those private fee schools.”

“So have you any evidence?”

“No, not really. But I know that she went to one and never stops raving about it to people.”

“Who told you that?”

“Debbie mentioned it and I think Pete did at some point as well.”

“Well she did. And yes she did enjoy it, said it was the making of her, character building”

“Yeah that may well be, but would you seriously consider sending Melissa to one, I mean she loves the farm the open air, the freedom, the animals, she needs a family around her and a mother and father to share those thing’s with, not stuck in some dorm somewhere and home for just the holidays.”

“Yeah well maybe you’re right, but she’s never suggested that to me so for the moment she’s not guilty.”

I sighed a bit, last card to play I thought, “Did you know for instance that she made a play for Gavin” I asked.

George looked up from his cup, a look of surprise on his face.

“Yeah that’s right, Debbie smacked her one a while back when she tried to seduce him”

“No I didn’t know but that’s in the past, she’s with me now she would not do that” he replied.

Well I had played my last card so that was it, as much as maybe I had tried to wound the relationship, I think the last little fact had maybe just scratched the surface a bit, because it definitely made George think, but no more.

“Ok I’ll leave it then, you’re are a grown man and Melissa is your daughter so it’s your decision. I just don’t think that after Grace you two should be apart. Ok it’s bound to happen that a good looking guy like yourself would meet somebody else. But just be careful. Neither of you can take another break up. So make sure you make the right choice for the right reason.” I said.

I ate the last of my sandwich and drank the last of my coffee, “Maybe we better get back for Melissa” George said.

“Yeah I suppose we should” I looked at my watch. Debbie and Gavin had been gone for over fifty minutes now hopefully they should be back soon.

We got up and walked out of the diner and around to the play area. Melissa spotted us and darted across the play area to meet us the play assistant close behind her. We reached the gate just as she did.

“Have a nice lunch?” the assistant asked.

“Yeah thanks” George said.

“She’s a lovely child, so full of fun and happiness. She’s a credit to you and you make a lovely family.” the assistant said casting her eyes across the two of us.

“Eh, Eh thanks.” George said as he reached for Melissa’s hand.

“Thanks for taking care of her.” I said as we turned to leave.

“No problem. As I said, you have a lovely child there.”

We managed to take in one more ride before I spotted Gavin and Debbie strutting hand in hand across the Theme Park looking for us. Once more their lifestyle puzzled me. How could they be so in love but share their bodies with others? I thought. But who am I too judge? They are happy and content with their choices and, as Debbie frequently pointed out, what they got up to was no threat to them. We joined them and set off to continue our day.

We managed just a couple more of the attractions before predictably the Scottish weather began to fail and a heavy drizzle began to fall.

George scanned his watch, “It’s just gone 3:30, I thought we could have dinner at Cochranes,” he announced.

“Fab, I love that place!” Debbie exclaimed.

“So you want to head for it now? Seeing’s how as the rain has started…” I asked.

“Yeah let’s go. Meetings always make me hungry” Debbie winked at me. I dissolved into laughter.

“What’s the joke?” George asked.

“Eh nothing. Just a girl thing!” I managed to get out through the giggles.

“Women!” George gave up as we started the trek back to the car.

…………..

It took us about 30 minutes to reach the restaurant. We parked and all got out.

“Me and Alex are going to have a ciggie” Debbie stated as we walked to the restaurant, “You guys go on and get us a table.”

We sat on a wooden table under a parasol outside the restaurant. I pulled my cigarettes out of the bag and offered Debbie one. She took it and we lit up. The rain had passed and you could smell that wet scent of flowers after a shower of rain.

“So how was your meeting?” I asked.

“She laughed great, just as I expected… those boobs and the arse.” She grinned as she dragged on her cigarette and filled the air with a cloud of smoke.

“Yeah ok, ok. Enough. I get the picture”

“Now that would be something to see! Or maybe a video? Hey, maybe I could talk Gavin into it? You know, something to warm us up on long hot winter nights?” she smirked.

“Debbie! You are incorrigible!”

“Hey just! Although, no… maybe not. Too much of a risk.”

“You gonna see them again?” I asked.

“Yeah sure we will. At another party sometime. But it’s not often we get together with the same couple twice. So who knows?” she took another drag on her cigarette. “So what about you? Have a good day? Did you speak to George?”

“Yeah I did. Don’t think it made a great deal of difference, but at least he listened and did not go off on one like he usually does” I replied.

“Well, that’s all you can do. She’s in possession of the ball, as I told you. She’ll need to drop it first before someone else can get their hands on it… or them.”

“Ok, I’ve heard that before. Now let’s go and join the guys” I said as we stood and crushed out our cigarettes in the ashtray and headed back into the restaurant.

After a quite lovely meal, we got home around eight. Melissa was fast asleep by that time and we had dropped off Debbie and Gavin. We turned up the driveway towards the house.

“You know, some of what you said today… well, it made sense.” George admitted as we slowed towards the house.

“So you’re not mad at me?”

“No. It’s your opinion. You might be right. Who knows? Only time will tell, but I will tell you that I won’t ever send Melissa to a boarding school. You were right about that. She needs to grow up right here with me” he said as he pulled on the handbrake.

I pulled off my seatbelt, and to my surprise, I leaned over and went to kiss him on the cheek. He turned slightly and I caught him on the edge of his mouth. I jumped back a bit, surprised.

“I’m sorry… I never meant to…”

He laughed, “Its ok.” He then opened the door and stepped out.

I lifted Melissa out of the rear of the car and followed him up the path and went inside.

“I’ll take Melissa up. She’s exhausted.” I said.

“Ok. I’ll mix us a drink, vodka and coke.”George offered.

“I’ll be down in a minute.” I whispered as I carried Melissa up. I halted after a few steps and turned to face George. “Oh, and George? Thanks for listening.”

I smiled and then carried Melissa to her bed.


 
To Be Continued...

up
86 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Very engaging story.

Gwen I've found my self standing on my claws with my back arched when you talk of George's GF. spit, spit. Rowre.
Gwen Brown

You're Doing OK, Karin

joannebarbarella's picture

Alex will get there in the end.George might be a nice guy but he's a thick shit, isn't he?

Thick?

kristina l s's picture

You're being charitable Jo.... if he was any thicker he'd be part of Stonehenge. Amazing how many guys are like that. Aint perspective wonderful. Yes I know... benefit of the doubt an' all... but really...

Kristina

Gee You're Nasty

joannebarbarella's picture

But so accurate, Kristina. I'm still laughing at that comment,
Jo

cretinous cousin

laika's picture

And here I was just starting to get used to him. Six/eight chapters back I was dreading any thought of Alex & George getting together, that he'd be nothing better than the price to pay for getting to raise Melissa ........ Now---Good Lord have my standards dropped so drastically so quickly?!---in her situation I'd probably marry him if he showed any affection at all. Talk is one thing, like guys critiquing which supermodel is up to their impeccable standards, when in reality they ain't so finicky. But that's me (Rodney Dangerfield's uglier sister). Alex can and should do better. Another great chapter in a real-feeling story about folks who seem like theyre from just down the block (a very long block that crosses the Atlantic.)
~~~I don't get no self-respect, LAIKA