Football Girl~Season 2~Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version
The noise was deafening. The Wembley crowd were, I suppose, about 30% us with the same for Teddenham and the rest were tickets given out either by the league or hospitality...
 
 
Football Girl
Season 2 ~ Chapter 1

By Susan Brown

Copyright © 2010 Susan Brown


The noise was deafening. The Wembley crowd were, I suppose, about 30% us with the same for Teddenham and the rest were tickets given out either by the league or hospitality.

I was off the subs bench and there was just thirty minutes to go. We were two-nil down and Sandy McPherson was close to having some sort of seizure. You would have thought that the game wasn’t important, being just the Charity Shield, but it was important to us on a number of levels. It was the first real match of the season and it was against our arch enemy. Having a good Charity Shield sets a team up for the season. We didn’t want our noses rubbed in the dirt over a game like this, so I suppose it was a pride thing.

So, here I was running up and down the touch line, my hair in a scrunchie waving about and tickling the back of my neck. The fans were chanting ‘Suzie, Suzie,’ over to the left where our supporters were corralled and something less flattering was coming from my right; all part of the game and one that I could expect to experience for the rest of the season.

All too soon, I was warmed up and ready to go on. I was nervous, very nervous as this was the first time that I would be going on a pitch to play a proper game since Ferris nearly killed me at the end of last season, and it would have to be Wembley, the place where the evil deed was done.

As waited for play to stop and permission to go on the field, thoughts of Ferris reminded me and my mind drifted back––

~ §~


‘So, Ms Hurst, you agree that you tried to humiliate my client in front of the media press conference?’

‘I agree to no such thing––’

‘–Did you or did you not make disparaging remarks about my client?’

‘No, of course not––’

‘–Mr Ferris is, or was after your character assassination, a broken man, haunted by his past and the death of his brother, you feel no remorse for pushing him over the edge?’

‘I object, your honour!’

‘Overruled; please continue, Sir Robert, but stick to the point.’

‘Thank you, m’lud. You are a self-seeking self-publicising footballer with some talent, is that correct?’

‘I play football professionally, if that’s what you mean. As to the self-whatever-it-is you were accusing me of, no.’

‘You are, through your–shall we say–associates, able to block any adverse publicity regarding the more unsavoury aspects of your superstar lifestyle?

‘Objection, m’lud.’

‘Thank you, Sir Trevor; overruled, but, Sir Robert, I will not let this go much further, please get to your point.’

‘I am obliged, m’lud. The point is that my client was not able to report on the true facts appertaining to the lifestyle of Ms Hurst, the fact that she was having sex with an underage child, that she was seen taking drugs at a party, the fact that––’

~ §~


It was a tough time for me and I wondered why I had been forced to appear as a witness at the trial of Bob Ferris which had been brought forward to just before the start of the season. He had assaulted me in front of ninety thousand people and countless millions of fans watching the replays on the TV.

He argued, or his lawyers did for him, that he did it whilst he was not of sound mind. Well I could have told anyone that, but he hoped to get off on that technically.

I watched him, across the court, in the dock. He looked older and thinner, but his face had lost none of its nastiness. He may have not been of sound mind, but he knew exactly what he was doing–milking the system and trying to gain the sympathy of the judge and–more importantly–the jury.

As I had sat outside, waiting to be called in to give my evidence, I recalled the last six months which had been a turbulent time for me, my family and my club.

~ §~


It took some months to fully recover from my head injury and there was talk at one stage that I might never be able to play football again. However, I am young and strong and have good healing powers and eventually was told that I should make a full recovery.

The club were really good to me and were incredibly supportive. While I was convalescing I used the gym and facilities to try to keep up some level of fitness without endangering my health. I was often at the training ground and joined in what exercises and drills that I could. It helped make me feel part of everything still.

The previous season had ended and we didn’t have much in the way of trophies at the club. I should have played in the FA cup final, but of course, I couldn’t; we did win it though, so a totally bleak season ended on a bit of a high note.

When the team went for a pre-season tour to the USA, I went with them. I didn’t want to because–to be honest–not being able to play, I felt a bit like a spare part. However it was beneficial because I met loads of American kids–including a surprising number of girls who played and were really keen on the “Beautiful game”.

We stayed in loads of different hotels that looked exactly the same, inside and out. I missed my family a great deal while I was away and the fact that I couldn’t be with them made me irritable from time to time. I missed Andrea in particular; she had been dressing more or less full time since the end of term. It had been decided that she would go on to sixth form college–a girl’s one and she was over the moon that she didn’t have to wear boys’ stuff anymore. I loved her so much; I was having serious withdrawal symptoms!

The life of a superstar footballer–that’s me by the way, hang on, is my head getting bigger?–is not all wine and roses, not that I liked wine as I was too young and roses set off my hay fever. Anyway much of the time on tour was spent either in a hotel room, watching the other members of team play or having physiotherapy and exercising the things that I was allowed to exercise. As I say, I did meet lots of mad keen kids who loved football–or soccer, as they call it there–and for some reason they thought I was a good player–hence the superstar status of yours truly.

The headaches had gradually lessened and my hair started to grow where it had been chopped off following The Ferris Incident. I was getting fitter and fitter and actually anxious to start playing proper games once again.

It was nice to get away from the UK and the media attention for a while. In the USA, football is liked at a local level and in schools, but the stars out there are more likely to be baseball or American Football players rather than an insignificant little thing like me.

I wasn’t mobbed when I went down the road or if I went into a shopping centre (called a “mall” out there for some reason). The press didn’t seem all that interested in what my hair style was or what clothes I liked to wear or even if I had a boyfriend. The lack of interest was refreshing and helped a lot towards recharging my batteries.

And so we returned to sunny England (not) and I was home again. It was really lovely to be home again with my family. I had missed them so much and I did a really girlie thing as soon as I saw them–I burst into tears.

The new season began the following week with the traditional opener–the Charity Shield. This is the game played at Wembley between the winners of the league and the FA cup. Our opponents were our arch enemy, Teddenham.

I had been told by the boss, Sandy McPherson that I might be on the subs bench for that one, if the medics gave me the all clear.

I had had so many X rays and scans of my head that I swear that I was beginning to glow in the dark. All the tests showed that I was healed and that I was all right to play. News of my being a sub was kept secret for some reason. I was pleased about that because it reduced the pressure on me to perform. Any footballer will tell you that the lack of match fitness will hinder a player for a while and although I had kept fit, there is no substitute for playing the game.

Then, just before the Charity Shield match, I had to go to Ferris’s trial and it just brought up all the nasty things that had happened last season. After giving testimony I felt a bit drained and out of sorts. I was informed that the trial would resume on the Monday and that I would be required to continue giving further evidence then.

Glancing over at Ferris with his cold glassy stare and leering face, I hoped that I would be able to hold my temper and not say something stupid on Monday––

~ §~


I felt a tap on my shoulder and I was on the field. All thoughts of the past went to the back of my mind as I assumed my position. I vaguely heard the crowd chanting my name again but I was focussed and ready to help my team in every way I could.

The whistle blew and we were off with just 27 minutes of play left. For the first few minutes, nothing came my way and we were very much on the back foot as Teddenham piled more pressure upon us. Any thoughts of them resting on their laurels and going defensive were out of the window as wave upon wave of attacks pinned us in our half. They wanted to rub our noses in it and were taking no prisoners.

The cries of delight that I experienced when coming on the field grew less and less and were replaced by chants of ‘what a load of rubbish.’

‘Charming,’ I thought as I received the ball just over the half way line and tried to avoid being decapitated by Teddenham’s new defender–built like a brick privy and as hard nails.

The ref for once wasn’t looking the other way or reading a book and he blew up. Yellow card for Crapelski–I kid you not, so with a name like that no wonder he was built like a brick privy–and a free kick for us.

I placed the ball about ten feet in front of where the evil deed had been done and luckily the ref–who needed glasses after all the things that he had let slide that day–didn’t notice.

Ogsood was lurking on the far edge of the penalty area with several other lads. The opposition were doing the usual thing, pushing and shoving as if they were jostling for bargains at the Harrod’s sale.

Anyway, I kicked the ball towards the penalty area and Ogsood, rose like a ballerina and headed the ball, inches from the tips of the keeper’s fingers, into the far corner of the net.

‘GOAL!’

We all went into a group hug and had a kiss and a cuddle. Things were better and we had pulled one back, but with only twenty minutes to go, we would have to extract our digits and begin playing like a team.

It was our turn to pile on the pressure now, as Teddenham set up tents and camped on their side of the pitch, the only thing missing was a camp fire and hot chocolate with optional marshmallows. They wanted to hang on tooth and nail and they did all that they could to keep hold of the ball and frustrate our advances.

They brought on two defenders during the next ten minutes and didn’t hurry too much about it. I’m not saying that they were time-wasting, but how long does it take for one player to come off the pitch and another to come on?

Anyway, we carried on pushing the ball up-field, trying get the ball into the net. I was doing my usual stuff, spraying the ball about, cheeky jinks and the occasional salvo at the goal. I saw the keeper off the line once and chipped the ball over his head, only for the ball hit the crossbar. Another time I sent the ball into the area and a diving header from Peter Martins hit the keeper in his stomach.

I had a message from the touchline from Sandy McPherson, telling me to stop being a Jessie and get further up the field; honestly, I didn’t take it too personally.

So I did go further up, forgetting my midfield dynamo role (or is that two cell battery?) and changing to and out and out striker.

Anyway, there I was standing on the edge of the area when a corner was being taken and trying to be small enough not to be noticed by the gigantic Neanderthal defenders that Teddenham seemed to specialise in; buffing my nails and looking as if I would rather be anywhere but on the field with 22 –if you include the blind ref–hunks of testosterone-filled meat.

Morris saw me and floated the ball over the other taller players with a precise, almost surgical accuracy. Everyone was jostling, pulling, pushing, jabbing and generally trying to get away with anything short of murder, and while they were playing with each other, I just ran in and headed the ball sweetly. The keeper, bless him, went one way and the ball the other–into the back of the net.

‘GOAL!’

I ran towards the goal post and nearly pulled off my shirt in my excitement, stopping in the nick of time and remembering how unladylike that would be — anyway a yellow card was not what I wanted to be remembered for today, of all days.

I was mobbed by my team mates who wanted to get up close and personal. In several countries, what we were doing would be considered illegal but I couldn’t care less. Mind you, if I catch the sod who pinched my bum, I would make sure he suffered.

So it was two-all with just ten minutes to go and all to play for. I hadn’t thought about it when I headed the ball. I suppose that I should have been worried that my head might have split open like a melon, but I was okay and didn’t have any pains in that department so I was not going to worry anymore and just get on with things.

Of course, being still summer in the UK, the clouds came over and it started to rain heavily, soaking my thin polyester football shirt in seconds and making my hair feel like I was wearing a wet dishcloth. But we just got on with it and the game went on apace.

Teddenham started to be more attacking again and posed a real threat. Desmond Etoo, the plonker, decided that it would be a good idea to bring one of the Teddenham ballerinas down in the box. He swore that he just touched Santos’s arm with his shoulder, but Santos did a creditable impression of the dying swan in Swan Lake and went down to the screams of ‘PENALTY’ from the Teddenham players and their half of the crowd.

It was really pis–err–pouring down now and I had real concerns that we were not going to be able to recover.

Santos, who had made a miraculous recovery from his fall and was running around like a spring lamb, grabbed the ball placed it on the spot and after the ref blew his whistle, charged up and gave the ball an almighty thud––

–and the ball went sailing up in the air and nearly reached the second tier of the stand.

Screams of delight from our side and jeers and naughty words from our opponents’ supporters.

There were now only three minutes to go and all was still level. Mr McPherson was having an animated discussion with the fourth official on the line and I don’t think that he was discussing the inclement weather.

Ivan Goshter, our relieved keeper, punted the ball up the field as the rain really started lashing down. As luck would have it, the ball bounced and then skidded through to me. I was quite a way up and just behind one of the Teddenham defenders, so I was still onside. I let the ball run and ran up the pitch towards the goal with the defender chasing me. Over the other side was our Walter Indongo, I kicked the ball, high and long towards him and luckily he got it on his foot.

I, in the mean time, didn’t hang about and carried on up the field, watching for the defenders, who liked to man–or should that be woman?–mark me rather closely at times like these.

The crowd were going wild, chanting ‘Dongo, Dongo’ and ‘Suzie, Suzie’.

Walter looked up, I waved at him and he kicked the ball in my direction.

I sensed rather than felt someone lunge for me and I skipped over the trailing leg and carried on, jinking to put the other defenders off and watching the ball coming nearer and nearer. It might have been divine intervention, but maybe not as I would have thought that God was bi-partisan, but anyway, the rain stopped suddenly and I could see the ball as clear as day as it swooped towards me.

It was a bit like slow motion, I could hear my laboured breathing and those of the other team. The keeper came towards me, spreading his arms and trying to make himself as big a target as possible. I slowed slightly as I didn’t want to overrun the ball. Another defender tried to trip me, but I saw him in the nick of time and jumped out of the way, but still went on––

As the ball came down, I didn’t think about it, I just hit it on the volley from just outside the penalty area. The keeper dived, his outstretched fingers touching the ball, but it wasn’t enough and the ball hit the back of the net. We had scored.

‘GOAL!’

I just stood there facing the net and just did something really silly, I curtsied and then shrugged my shoulders. The keeper looked like he wanted to throttle me but then I was engulfed in a sea of red as my team mates once again expressed their emotions. Who said boys don’t have a feminine side?

Mind you, my bum was pinched again but I knew who it was this time. I name no names and no pack-drill, but if you see a replay of the match and do a slow-mo of that point you will see someone walk back to the centre circle with slightly bandy legs and a red face–

Seconds later the whistle was blown. We had won with seconds to spare and as luck would have it, it started raining again.

Several Teddenham players wanted to swap shirts with me, but I refused politely. I didn’t want to set a precedent or have pictures of me in my sports bra being plastered all the front pages of the tabloid press.

After we received the shield and our medals, we crossed to our side of the ground and thanked our supporters for being there for us. The sea of red scarves, shirts and banners brought a lump to my throat. Our media and advertising department had said that there was a huge explosion of female supporters not only at our club but others up and down the country and looking at the happy faces in the crowd, I could see lots of girls, young and old that confirmed what he had been saying. It was only a matter of time when other females would be able to play in the league, or so the sports columnists kept saying.

Apart from the manager, I was designated as being the player to be interviewed by the TV stations. I didn’t like this side of things as they went on about wonder goals and how much difference I had made when I got on the pitch. As far as I was concerned, it was a team game and every member of the team played their part in our victory.

~ §~


All my family were there at the game and after things died down a bit, I met them in hospitality and we all relived the game. It was so cool to have them all around me and part of my life. I was a bit sad that my mum never got to see me play, but I kind of hoped that she was looking down at me and cheering me on.

That night, when I was tucked up in bed with my stuffed rabbit, wishing, not for the first time, that it could have been Andrea, watching the edited highlights on the Beeb1 and seeing myself playing. It’s strange; when I see myself on the box it’s as if it’s some other person, not me. I shrugged and just enjoyed the game as a spectator would.

In two days time I would be returning to the courtroom and cross examination by the barrister; I hoped I would do well and that Ferris would be put away for a long time. But that was the future, I paused the game and rewound slightly; I just had to see that goal again––

To Be Continued...


________________
1; Beeb: Affectionate shortening of BBC–British Broadcasting Corporation. Also known by some as “Auntie”.

Authors note.
I hope that you have enjoyed the start of season 2 for our Susan. The goal where she curtsied and shrugged was as a homage to one of my favourite players ever and a true gentleman–Peter Osgood. Please have a look at this YouTube video and watch goal number 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QSQyk_zHJY



My thanks go to the brilliant and lovely Gabi for editing, making suggestions that I hadn't even thought of and pulling the story into shape.

up
218 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Football Girl

Hi

Good to see this excellent story continue.

Karen

It's That Time of Year?

littlerocksilver's picture

Sue,

Thank you for bringing the next season to us. It will be wonderful waiting for each new episode.

Portia

Portia

Imagine my surprise...

Imagine my surprise as I saw the title of this little bit sitting there teasing me. It came out of nowhere. It wasn't there, I hit refresh, and there it was. I rubbed my eyes to see if I were imagining things. I went "Nah. It's not really there." But, I clicked anyway. *sighs*. And what do I get to read... The typical slander lawyers get away with. *sighs*. (Just kidding).

This was an interesting start to a new "chapter" in her life. I wonder, a bit, at the timing of the trial. The question is what happens when Ferris gets off? How much trouble will he cause the SECOND time around?

Anybody want to explain that "trading stinky jersey" bit at the end of the game?

Thanks,
Anne

Swapping shirts

It is a tradition for players who have been in a big match, a final say, to give their shirt to their opposite number. It is particularly common in rugby union because the positons are so specialised. It is seen as a way of saying "well played" to an opponent.

I'm sure the tradition had nothing to do with this instance

The English Teacher's picture

must be a guy thing to want someones stinky shirt.

So much to read, so little time and only one of me :)

The English Teacher

So much to read, so little time and only one of me :)

The English Teacher

it happen

One of the US women during the olympics after winning the gold took off her shirt and waved it but she had a sports bra underneath. jackie Anna

Gold?

I can't remember the US winning many gold.

LoL
Rita (Aussie)

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Re: it happened

The US women's player you are thinking of was Brandi Chastain; but it was not during the Olympics. Her remove-the-shirt celebration came immediately after she had scored the game-winning penalty kick in the finals of the 1999 FIFA Women's World Cup against China.

Jenny

It is a regular thing in

It is a regular thing in just about every football (or soccer) league. Though admittedly for guys, they don't have as many qualms about going around topless as Landon Donovan has shown many times (I hear he is single again, yummy).

Otherwise, I am thrilled to see more of this wonderful story. And at the risk of sounding impatient (I'm sorry but I am), I can't wait for more!!!

Shannon Johnston

Samirah M. Johnstone

Football Girl~Season 2~Chapter 1

WOW! I wasn't expecting more Football Girl. Thanks.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Yay! I'm very happy to see

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Yay! I'm very happy to see the return of this great story! I had wondered if Suzie would be playing on the women's team this season when I saw the story was back but its great to see her still on the premier league squad.

And I hadn't even thought about the obligatory shirt swapping. Perhaps she needs to wear two shirts to have one spare afterwards!



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

I was thrill to

see this up. I really loved the sort of back and forth replaying things from the last book really helped catch us up and set the mood. I like the way she sounds a bit older now a wiser from her travels and american experiences.

Bailey Summers

Me Too! Me Too!

I am also glad to see this story back. Do keep up the good work, dear girl. I be lovin' it.

Nancy Cole

Nancy_Cole__Red_Background_.png


~ ~ ~

"You may be what you resolve to be."

T.J. Jackson

Glad to see this story continue.

Sue, you are such a great writer and story teller. Guess she showed Ferris and company that she's not all hype. He tends to pop up at the worst times. Looking forward to another great book.

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Suzie! Suzie! Suzie!

What a joy to welcome back this story, and so soon after the completion of one of the author's others!

Great fun! A little more drama than I need with the Ferris trial, but I'm hopeful that will work out for the best, too. Though, the trial judge does seem to be giving quite a bit of latitude to the defense counsel.

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

Comprehension

What is this foopball and Chelsney of which you speak?

Delighted to see

This tale continue. Excellent start to the second "season".

As this is attempted murder trial I understand the judge's ...

leniency towards the defense. But at some point, when does that defense become abusing the witness? Or is the judge simply giving the defense enough rope to hang themselves? Are lawyers at some point accountable for what they say and do in court? I assume there are standards of conduct and ethics?

For that matter, is the judge neutral or sympathetic to either side? The defense's actions remind me of an old saying. Now how does it go, something like 'If the law is against you argue the facts. If the facts are against you argue the law. And if both are against you plead for mercy?' Like any good lawyer he is trying to discredit a key witness, the victim. Make her look less preyed upon and more like she brought on her own troubles. I assume this is to set the groundwork for a defense of temporary insanity. Do they have a *pet* head shrinker on their list of witnesses to testify to Ferris's insanity? Or other's to further besmirch her character? IE make the Ferret look more like a ill person in need of medical care and the victim look more like a stuck up, drug abusing immoral, underage sex fiend who made it her life's work to hound Mr Ferris and ruin him for some perverted reason of hers?

In the USA insanity defenses are rare, possibly too rare in some legal experts opinions. Not familiar with Brit justice other than mostly old Rumpole of the Bailey videos. Do they allow a more vigorous attack on witnesses in cross examination than in the US? And how successful are insanity defenses overall? In the US they are very rare and seen as acts of desperation or used to defend severely mentally deficient individuals. Frankly in some states here if you can move some part of your body and have an IQ above that of an alarm clock the law treats you as sane. Enough of my own opinions on the law. I'm sure others may differ. But whatever the cases, you have set a gripping yarn in motion, Sue.

Love how you have kept true to the feel and flavor of book one so far as I recall it. Some of your descriptions, well, Susan's description of players and events were/are wonderfully wacky and inventive. Always a joy to read your efforts.

Will our heoine have further problems with bigots on the field or in the press? Will the press treat her any different than any other sports phenom or better or worse?

BTW does anyone else here get the impression Andy/Andrea is drifting away from Susan? Just stretching his/her wings as it were or quietly moving apart as the increasing fame, Susan's near murder have scared her? Does she think she is not worthy of Susan? But then young love is so often intense but brief. If they are drifting apart, who will win Susan's heart? But first, we need to see the matter of the murderous reporter put to rest. Any other medical drama in store in her families or friend's lives? And will she get even with the bum pincher?

As you can tell Sue, I am enjoying your latest greatly.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

i don't know about the UK,

i don't know about the UK, but here in germany an insanity plead might get you off the criminal charges, only to be put away in an asylum for even longer than a prison sentence would do.

Broadmoor

Given that the ferret has been chasing Susan since her previous life as Mark, I don't think 'temporary' insanity would come into it. Therefore, if the defence were trying to claim he was mentally unfit, then presumably he'd have to be psychiatrically assessed, and possibly admitted to Broadmoor.

But from what we've seen so far, the defence are certainly clutching at straws - IIRC the drug allegation was published, but then Susan went on the defensive with proof that the picture in question was photoshopped and they'd certainly have trouble finding "evidence" for the underage sex claim.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Considering Susan is a minor

Any sex she is going to engage in is going to be underage.

The defence, however, is not yet asked a vital question - exactly how running around the court was equal to hounding oh-so-poor *cough*bastard*cough* Ferret?

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

I'm surprised that the

I'm surprised that the barrister was allowed to use hearsay as 'fact' without the judge having it struck from the record.
Unsubstantiated drivel from either side is not admissible.

However it is good for the tension builder and since I love this story, you're very much forgiven for twisting evidential protocols.

It's lovely to see the story back on the list and I shall follow it religiously unlike anything else to do with Footy!

I suspect

that the judge is anti-trans, or at least anti-Susan, and views Susan as a "sicko" or deviant. I realize this isn't "real" but the judge would not have overruled those objections in a real court, and the way the defense was phrasing things would have gotten him thrown from the court if he continued the way he did. The judge would have warned him after the first time. The witnesses in a real courtroom are NOT cut off the way you see on television and movies, and they are not only allowed but required to answer in full. The stereotype is that there are lawyers that pull the, "answer only yes or no," bullshit -- but there is no way they would do that in a real courtroom because to do so would be risking their license to practice. There's also the whole witness-not-on-trial bit... that almost never gets said, because the typical way that it is shown leading up to that accusation is not an allowable type of behaviours.

Anyway, it is not a real courtroom, though. So it likely will end up being much more akin to the ones we see on television or movies, replete with all the stereotypes and a biased judge and trickery we see on a regular basis.

Welcome back Suzie

The English Teacher's picture

I got my marshmallows and sat by the camp fire to watch the game. And as luck wood have it a huge thunder squaw came through whilst I read the game.

The defense barrister is as sleazy as Farris is. Probably belongs to that same organization as Ferris.

I thought Mum did see his/her first game the one with the step up in the stands and she watched with his/her aunt up north? Before the change. Oh well if I don't remember proper it is probably early onset of Alzheimer's.

So much to read, so little time and only one of me :) (Don't be cheeky)

The English Teacher

So much to read, so little time and only one of me :)

The English Teacher

I was thrilled to see a new

I was thrilled to see a new book and chapter of "Football Girl". What a great story. I do hope that Susie will be able to testify to the point that Ferris is sent away for a very long time, he certainly deserves it.

When Did You Stop Beating Your Wife?

joannebarbarella's picture

First, I am feeling really smugly up myself as I called for Football Girl to return in my comment on the finale of The Green Fog! I'm clairvoyant! And thank you Sue for hearing my plea!

Cross-examining lawyers in Common Law jurisdictions (i.e. British style) can be real bullies and in important cases these guys are usually Queen's Counsels, skilled in all the little tricks to trip up a witness. Even in civil cases and arbitrations their first ploy is to try to belittle and discredit a witness's experience and qualifications so that the evidence is given less weight or even disregarded. One of their favourite tricks is to ask a question, get an answer and then ask the same question fifteen minutes later hoping to get a different answer from a confused witness.

However, the judges are not fools and are aware of these acts of theatre, so as long as the witness just sticks to the facts such antics rarely work. There is a body in the UK called The Academy of Experts which actually runs courses for its members where they are subjected to these tactics in mock-courtroom practice sessions so they can be coached in how to resist and even subvert them.

There used to be a special prison in England called Broadmoor (I don't know if it still exists), for the Criminally Insane. Inmates could be "detained at Her Majesty's pleasure", a sentence without limitation that could really mean a whole lifetime, so Ferris's lawyer might not be doing him any great favours as the sentence for a simple charge of "attempted murder" and a guilty plea might only be for ten years with one third off for good behaviour. Mind you, Ferris might get a hard time from his fellow prisoners once he's inside, particularly from inmates who might be football hooligans partial to Melchester.

I loved those little soccer references like "the ref was reading a book" and the shirt-swapping. I was reminded of the wonderful photo of Bobby Charlton and Pele doing just that at the England-Brazil World Cup game in 1970(?).

A lovely start, Sue,

Joanne

Glad the story is Back

I have missed this story was about to reread the first one.
Pleasant surprise. Thank You.

Thank You Sue !!!

Thank You Sue! for bringing back one of my favorite series. I can't wait to see what the future chapters will hold for our girl susan & the gang!!

Hurray for Football Girl!

terrynaut's picture

Welcome back! That goes for the author, editor and all of the characters, except Mr. Ferretus. Bleah. I was hoping he wouldn't be back. I thought maybe you'd introduce a new villain. Dang.

But thanks for the story! I do so love it.

- Terry

What a goal

that was from one of the most talented players ever to grace the Chelsea side, Whilst i was never a Chelsea fan, They were always my second favorite team (after Nottingham Forest)and the side that Osgood played in was especially talented with players such as Charlie Cooke, and Alan Hudson at their peak, Add to that to the talents of Peter Bonetti in goal and the necessary talents of Ron "Chopper" Harris at the back, And you had a team that gave a lot of people enjoyment during those days when football used to be affordable....

Thanks Sue for bringing back Football Girl...As you can see i do like my Football!!

Kirri

thank you

I love your work. There is personality, sensitivity, fun, and captivating adventure. Allot of confuse characters, gee don't we all know or are like them at one time or another. giggle I am one of those that really like reading action. I love your first book on football girl and I am so glad you have started another one. There are allot of us out there that do not write back but just read and enjoy your work. I am seeing allot of changes and not football girl. You were writing them about equal in book one. So I wanted to let you know this series really is enjoyed too. I love your twists and david vs goliath. Plus who doesn't enjoy a bit of sports. Maddy Bell does well with Drew or gaby and her bike races and you have Suzie with that championship ability as a girl now against the boys. I hope one day she does play a real game with the girls. I know some of them are elated by her fame, but also some that must be Pissed. They been around along time and not getting the chance, headlines or money. Keep up the awesome work, you rock. Jackie Anna

Nice one Sue!

As usual, perfect!

Glad Suzie is back.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

A prayer answered!! it continues

Pamreed's picture

Tank you Susan for continuing this very good story!!! Looking forward to Susan's development into a young lady!

Hugs,
Pamela

Back in the game

Good to see her back in the game again. :}

Osgood was a handsome chap wasn't he!