Changes~7

Printer-friendly version

I glanced at Jocasta, her kind face looking concerned. Was I
that
obvious, I wondered?


Changes

Chapter 7

By Susan Brown


 
 
Previously…

Jocasta took a sip from her cup and then looked at me somewhat inquisitively.

‘So Samantha, what is it that you’re running away from?’

And now the story continues…

I glanced at Jocasta, her kind face looking concerned. Was I that obvious, I wondered?

With tears welling up in my eyes, I gulped, then told her, hesitantly, a version of the truth. Naturally, I was unable to tell her everything–I had only just got to know her, and I wasn’t very big on trusting anybody at present.

‘I–I caught my other half in bed with someone else. I arrived home early and–and found them hard at it in the spare bedroom. They were so busy, they didn’t notice me. I didn’t stop: just packed a few things and walked out.’

‘Oh, my dear, I’m so sorry,’ said Jocasta taking hold of my hand, you must have been devastated.’

She gave my hand a squeeze then went to fetch a box of tissues, for which I thanked her.

‘So how and why did you decide to come here?’

Laughing through my tears, I explained how I had closed my eyes and plonked my finger on the map, deciding to let fate take a hand in the future.

‘Well, that’s a novel way of choosing a destination,’ she laughed, ‘so have you spoken to your partner since you walked out?’

I shook my head.

‘Will you?’

‘Probably, but not yet.’

‘No chance of a reconciliation?’

‘No; things haven’t been going well for a long time and this was the final straw that…’

Just then there was a noise of a door opening and then David walked in. He took one look at us and seemed to backtrack.

‘Sorry, girl talk. Erm…I’ll take your things upstairs, erm sorry, in all the kafuffle I’m afraid I’ve forgotten your name?’

‘Samantha.’

‘Oh yes, of course, silly me. Right, okay, erm, anyway, I’ll leave you two girls to continue your chinwag.’ And with that, he beat a hasty retreat.

‘His heart’s in the right place but he normally leaves this sort of thing to me. Anyway, I can tell that you’re still terribly upset by it; just remember, I’m always here, even if it’s only for a shoulder to cry on.’

‘Thanks, I really appreciate that. Look, I think I could do with a little walk to collect my thoughts, is it okay if I go out?’

‘My dear girl, you don’t need to ask; just come and go as you please.’

‘Thanks, I’ll go and get some shoes then I think I’ll take a stroll down to the harbour.’

‘Okay, I’ll have to start getting tea prepared soon. Any likes or dislikes? Are you a veggie or vegan?’

‘No, I’ll eat most things that aren’t actually moving on the plate.’

‘Thank The Lord for that, my two girls are so fussy, you wouldn’t believe it. Sometimes I swear they think I’m poisoning them!’

‘What time is tea?’

‘About six-thirty.’

‘I’ll be back before then.’

‘Okay, see you later then, dear.’

I went upstairs to my room. My cases were on the floor by the bed. Opening the one I knew had some shoes in, I put on some white sandals with next to no heels. I didn’t want a repetition of my mishaps earlier! Looking at the things in my cases reminded me that I need to go clothes shopping–sooner rather than later.

Before leaving, a glance in the dressing-table mirror showed that my makeup needed repairing, particularly around my eyes. Ten minutes later, I left the house, passed through the quiet graveyard and out into the lane.

Any clouds there had been had now vanished and the sky was clear and very blue. Being an artist, I have an interest in colour and really appreciated the clean and clear atmosphere and strong bright sunlight; so unlike London, which isn’t exactly free of atmospheric pollution.

French impressionists and neo-impressionists liked to go to the south of France because of the pollution-free light and everything here looked as sharp as a pin. As I strolled down the lane, everything I observed appeared to give me some inspiration. The dark recesses of my artist’s mind stirred and began to come to the surface. I decided there and then–no more office work for me and those oh so boring meetings; I would return to my first loves–painting and drawing.

Many of the houses I passed were whitewashed with brightly-painted doors, using all the colours of the rainbow. Some of the dwellings had neat gardens with low hedging or walls, others just opened on to the lane. The whole place had a clean and well looked-after air to it. As if the inhabitants really cared about how the village was kept.

I passed various people who either nodded or said hello; this was so much friendlier than I was used to. The seagulls wheeled about in the sky or sat on roofs making their normal raucous sounds. It was very seasideish–if that’s a word–and it brought back memories of happier times as a child, when we went to the seaside with my mum and dad.

Even at that young age, I wished that I was like Dawn, my sister who was a year younger than me. She got to wear pretty summer dresses while I was stuck with yucky shorts and t-shirts. We were very close then–Dawn and I–and I miss her a lot.

As she grew older, Dawn blossomed into an outgoing and vivacious person–the life and soul of the party. When I first went out with Olivia, she tried to be supportive but there were definite problems between the girls. She didn’t like Olivia and Olivia felt the same about Dawn. They never hit it off and me being rather stubborn, took the side of my wife.

Shaking my head free of these negative thoughts, I noticed that as I got nearer the harbour, there were more people and cars passing. The lane was pretty narrow and more than once I had to squeeze myself up against a wall to let a car go by. These roads were narrow for a horse and cart, let alone a car or lorry.

Obviously many in the crowd were holidaymakers; others I took to be locals, I’m no expert, but holidaymakers seem to dress differently. The sun was still warm but getting cooler by the minute which was nice as it had been very hot today. My two cups of tea had taken their toll and I needed a wee. Luckily there was a Ladies by the harbour wall and I was able to nip in there to do the necessary. It felt perfectly natural for me to be walking about as a woman. When I lived at home; the only times I went out en femme was when we went to an occasional transgender meeting. Olivia wasn’t keen on my having a female name so I had to be addressed as Tom, although the girls in the group laughingly called me Thomasina when Olivia was out of earshot.

I suppose it sounds as if I was under Olivia’s thumb and, in retrospect, probably was. At the time it seemed so natural and normal to fall in with her wishes. I was in love and they say love is blind. Well I must have been and look where it had got me?

I strolled along the quay, absorbing all the sights and the sounds. It was a busy, vibrant place with crowds of adults and children doing the same as me. There was a small kiosk selling Devon ice cream so I had a 99, which is a cone with ice cream and a chocolate flake stuck in it–yummy!

There was a pleasant seat near the edge of the quay so I sat there licking my ice cream and watching the boats bobbing about on the water. Some children in a rubber dinghy were rowing from one side to the other and having great fun, their bright yellow life jackets, contrasting against the blue of the water. Once again it brought back memories of my childhood when Dawn and I did exactly the same sort of thing. We messed about in boats, went rock-pooling and did the sand castle thing.

She had married a business executive some years ago and lived, strangely enough, not far away in Tavistock; they had a son and daughter of 6 and 8 respectively. I hadn’t spoken to her for ages so perhaps the time had come to mend some bridges. She knew about my dressing and had always been very supportive. My parents, sadly gone now, never really understood that side of me but loved me all the same.

I was wakened from of my retrospection when a man sat next to me on the bench. He was wearing a shirt and tie and looked a bit warm. I guessed he was in his late twenties or early thirties.

‘Do you mind?’ he asked

I shook my head.

We smiled at each other and then I continued licking my ice cream and people-watching.

‘That ice cream looks rather good. I think I might get one in a minute.’

‘Yes, it’s divine on a hot day like this.’

‘Mmm, it is hot, isn’t it? Are you here just for the day?’

I looked at him.

‘No, I’m staying for a while, you?’

‘I live here; gorgeous isn’t it?’

‘Wonderful.’

‘I’m Brian Sinclair–the local GP for my sins.’

‘Samantha Smart–artist, I suppose.’

‘Artist eh? Interesting–oh, you’re staying at the Vicarage with David and Jocasta.’

I looked at him with surprise.

‘H–How did you know that?’

He laughed at my expression.

‘The village grapevine; everyone knows about everything here almost before it happens. If I deliver a baby, it’s two to one that the whole village will know its sex and weight before I’ve cut the cord.’

Omygawd, what hope have I got to keep my secret? I looked around with suspicion, is everyone aware of who I am?

‘Don’t worry, until people put a face to a name, you’re just a tourist and I won’t tell anyone, hypocritic oath, you know.’

‘Isn’t that supposed to be Hippocratic oath?’

‘Probably,’ he said laughing, ‘Anyway if you’re staying a while you’ll need to sign on with me as your doctor. Or you could use my partner.’

‘Who’s he?’

She, and she’s my wife, Marcia.’

‘Are there any secrets between you?’

‘Only professional ones.’

‘You’re lucky.’

‘I suppose I am. Anyway, work calls; nice meeting you, Samantha, no doubt we’ll bump into each other again.’

He got up and as I said, ‘goodbye,’ he walked off briskly.

‘He seemed nice.’ I thought as I finished my ice cream.

I got up and ambled along the quay until I came to some steps leading down to the beach. I went down to the beach and took my sandals off. My feet felt wonderful as walked across the soft white sand to the shore, about forty yards away. The sand was still warm from the sun and felt wonderful as the grains squidged between my toes. There were several families on the beach with deck chairs, picnic hampers, blankets, buckets and spades, windbreaks–the list is endless. There was a gentle breeze and it felt pleasant as it wafted up and around my thin skirt. I love the smell of the sea, it’s so invigorating it freshens you up.

Deciding that my feet needed a treat, I hitched my shirt up a bit and waded into the sea, but only up to my ankles because the water was surprisingly cold. ‘Ooh!’ I squealed.

Once over the shock, I meandered along the shoreline, my feet sinking slightly into the wet sand as the water lapped over them. It was so peaceful and any tension that I had had drifted away with the slowly receding tide. As I sauntered, I considered my situation.

To me, this place was a dream come true, attractive, picturesque, quaint were all words that could describe the cove. The people I had met so far were very friendly, if slightly inquisitive. I would have to be very careful to hide my plumbing defect, otherwise I don’t know if I could stay there and I very much wanted to. Also, I couldn’t put off talking to Olivia much longer and I decided that I would speak to her tonight. I wasn’t sure what I was going to say yet, but I would worry about it when the time came.

Glancing at my watch, I decided to turn back. I didn’t want to lose brownie points for getting back late for tea!

Climbing back up the hill was harder going than coming down. As I puffed up the hill, it was clear that I was badly out of shape and decided there and then to get myself a bit fitter.

A woman with a young boy and a dog passed me by and I smiled at them. ‘Evening,’ I gasped as we crossed.

‘Hello, Samantha, welcome to the village,’ said the lady as she passed by with her dog straining at the leash with the little boy holding her hand and sucking strongly on a lollypop.

Ten steps further on I realised that she had called me by name and wondered how it came to be that she knew me?


 
To Be Continued...

Please leave comments...thanks!
My thanks also go out to the brilliant and lovely Gabi for editing and pulling the story into shape!
~Sue

up
435 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Easiest Explanation...

...for that last exchange is that she's either Brian Sinclair's wife or his most recent patient.

So why did that "welcome to the village" remind me of The Prisoner?

Eric

Prisoner...

That was an interesting point and strangely enough I got the same one. I was almost expecting the white ball to show up...

Susan this story is absolutely wonderful and I am eagerly waiting for the next installment.

Jayme Ann

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

Alternatively...

They'd popped in to the vicarage for a chat. In close-knit communities, the vicarage is often the village hub.

Oh, and Portmeirion (where The Prisoner was filmed) is in North Wales, whereas Penmarris Cove (probably fictional, as Google can't find it) is somewhere on the South Devon coast (as evidenced by taking the A38 rather than A30, and a mention of proximity to Teignmouth).

However, there are some great real-life place names in that region - including a village called Beer :) (Wonder what the pub's like...)

Also: Coffinswell, Crapstone (if you say so...), Horrabridge (presumably you don't want to hang around there after dark!) and Westward Ho! (North Devon. The exclamation mark is part of the name - the village was built 10 years after the novel of the same name).

Further afield, Cornwall has a couple of villages called Nomans Land (what about women?) and also a Looe (coastal, so if you get caught short...), Worcestershire has a Bell End and Wyre Piddle (a nearby micro-brewery produces a beer called Piddle in the Straw), Warwickshire has Haseley Knob, Shropshire has a New Invention, Noah's Ark is actually in Kent, Norfolk has a Great Snoring and Little Snoring (sleepy little villages?), Gloucestershire has an Upper Slaughter and Lower Slaughter (although there aren't any abattoirs nearby...) and there's a Six Mile Bottom near Cambridge (gives a whole new meaning to "Does my bum look big in this?")

Then back into Wales, and up in Anglesey there's the village whose name was massively extended as part of a Victorian competition to boost tourism (and guess what? It worked!) - Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (or, if you prefer, St. Mary's Church in the hollow of the white hazel near a rapid whirlpool and the church of St. Tysilio of the red cave. Original / official name emphasised.)

-oOo-

Anyway, I digress. This looks a nice community for Sam to restart her life.
And sometime, she'll have to stop procrastinating and contact Olivia. A phone call would be the traditional method, but SMS / email might be better for avoiding a slanging match. So now to read on and see when / how...

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

What a wonderful...

...little town. It would be wonderful if Samantha could stay there and be happy. The way you've described it makes it sound a bit of heaven.

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

Sweet

Story is moving along at just the right pace, Sue. The village has a very homey and friendly feel. I hope Samantha has found a place to hang her heels. This chapter was the perfect length: two nice scenes that don't leave you biting at the bit, but nudging you to want more.

Nice!

Lili

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

She Could Very Well Be Samantha's

Sister, Dawn. Who says that she can't be visiting, or she and her family have moved there? Samantha's attention was taken up with climbing that hill.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I strongly doubt that

I strongly doubt that the woman was Samantha's sister for the simple reason that, prior to meeting the minister and his wife, she hadn't had a female name. Because of that, her sister Dawn wouldn't know about that.

Jenny

Jenny

Hey, you stole my clever gag

I was going to say I hope the Village isn't Portmeirion.

This seems a critical chapter, we learn his younger sister disliked the wife and that she has two kids already.

Why in seven years no kids? The wife is well off and he was working for her dad to keep her happy. A librarian and she didn't have time for a family? She can't be holding off on children for her career sake.

He gave up a possible art career something he loved and she admitted he was good at. What did she give up for the marriage ...anything, clearly not her virginity.

It's clear she was cheating a year back or so, thus the rapid withdrawl from his cross-dressing events along with cutting off sexual contact. She didn't have the time, what with her sexual hijinks and maybe feared they might recognize her with her secret lover?

Why MUST they talk?

Does she realize she was caught in the act and is confessing to save her ass in a divorce? For that matter is British divorce no-fault or is adultery and such still an important factor in deciding assets and such in the courts? Does she suddenly realize what she has lost and wants to make up? She sure seemd happy in the sack so remorse seems unlikely unless she noticed the female clothes and suitcases gone, panicked, told her lover and he proved a total ass, and buggered off?

She can't be telling him they are pregnant as it would not be his.

Will this end bitterly or amicably? Will he wife atone and support his art career or will she fight him tooth and nail in court? Is there any hope they can reconcile after her months of adultery and betrayal? What will her daddy think if he learns his princess is a cheater? Does she even realize she hurt him or will she argue the cross dressing is too much? She did recently tell him making love with his seemed like lesbian love. For years this *lesbian love* rocked her world so why does it supposedly bother her now? Did she *get religion* and that was her new minister *ministering* to her?

Lots of conflict and intrigue here plus will he stay enfem and become a professional painter/artist or will he become she ans also and artist? And what of the locals and the doctor couple, will they support him/her or will some be a problem? Will she/he ever find true love and/or have a family? Is the wife just human, weak and a fool but redeamable or is she a selfish bi***? Will love save them or drive them apart? Were all these years with her a waste?

Great.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Where Everyone Knows Your Name

Apparently, not just an imaginary bar in Boston...

So far, this village seems much more like "Cheers" than "The Prisoner" to me. Friendly, welcoming, curious but engaging. Also, I'd vote them highly likely to be perfectly fine with adding (another?) village eccentric to their roster. To be able to put up with that many tourists/vacationers/holiday-makers and still be friendly speaks of great patience, hospitality and tolerance.

Frankly, from what you've shown us of the village so far, it's positively stinking with brotherly love! I expect we have the Vicar to blame for that, at least in part. :)

No, somehow, I don't think Samantha, with or without her secret, is in any great danger of mass rejection. Especially after they see what a brilliant painter she is. Hmmm... A whole new meaning to the phrase, "artistic license."

Dawn sounds nice (and smart!)

Sounds like this is a great opportunity to get back together with her sister. It must be difficult to talk to a spouse (or ex-spouse, really) in such a situation. She can't be looking forward to that!

This story just keeps getting better.

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Taking Root

terrynaut's picture

Samantha is already well on her way to becoming a villager. I like the way it's happening - slow and gentle.

I'm not too keen on the seaside. The smell of rotting seaweed puts me off. But I like to visit. Your story is reminding me of my recent visit to Robin Hood's Bay just south of Whitby. I love the scenery. :)

I hope Samantha can resume her ties with her sister. I suspect she will. I suspect they'll be very close.

Now we just have to get through the scene where Samantha confronts Olivia. I want to read it. I need to read it. But it's got me shaking with dread. *shiver*

Thanks very much for another grand chapter. Please keep up the good work.

- Terry

Samantha Becoming A Villager?

I doubt it. Sadly, Terry, it will take a very long time for her to be accepted as a "villager" by the likes of the original inhabitants like old Mr Potts of the indecipherable dialect. I have lived in an English village for 42 years, and I am still regarded as an "incomer" (but only just) by the original village-ites whose families have lived here for generations. Country folk can be very close; there is no hostility to incomers, but there is a certain resentment of rich "townies" who come from London and the like and fancy "country living", inflating property prices to the extent of excluding young villagers from buying homes in the village.

When I came to the village in 1967 there were new two-bedroom bungalows suitable for newlyweds available for about £1,750. Last year one of those bungalows sold for £190,000. What country newlywed could afford that? So it is not surprising that village folk tend to resent "foreigners"?

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Depends on the Person?

terrynaut's picture

I would think and hope that some places in England would be good about accepting Samantha as one of their own. She isn't rich. She's a painter! I would think that would help her standing.

My girlfriend's family lives in a small village in Yorkshire and they've accepted me very well so far. :)

- Terry

A place of beauty, charm and tranquillity

A place of beauty, charm and tranquillity, it sounds the perfect spot for Samantha to think about what she wants to do with her life. So far the natives seem friendly and welcoming; perhaps somewhere just around a corner she can find a place to make her new home, with space for a studio to take up the art she has missed for too long.

But first she is going to talk to Olivia and that could be very bad, so I'm looking forward to the next episode with rather a lot of trepidation...

Pleione

Nice going Sue

I think you have most of the bases covered so far:

A reconciliation with his sister Dawn!
The divorce will be for sure?
Samantha will start painting and become famous.
Jocasta will find out about who Samantha really is and support her, maybe Jocasta is a TG?? (with a name like that and adopted daughters??)
Samantha will become good friends of the doctor and his wife and probably become attached to the doctors brother who hasn't been invented yet! Ha Ha.

I loved your description of the village, I could almost feel the sand and water!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

It's hard to believe

that anybody who lives in a very small town and/or village would need a facebook page. The village grapevine seems to be a quite bit faster !

Kim

Great story Sue

Great story Sue....And so different from Football Girl, Changes has a lovely relaxed feel about it, The pace of the story is just about right when you consider the beautiful part of the country that its set in...Nothing ever seems to happen quickly in Devon (THANKFULLY!!)

Hugs Kirri

Uncanny

Since reading and being thoroughly intrigued by the first chapter, I've been saving this story for when I had time to sit down and savor it, which turns out to be this afternoon. And I just have to say that although I didn't catch my soon-to-be-ex-wife in flagrante delicto--unfaithfulness was never an issue for either of us (as far as I'm aware)--the revelations about Olivia, her father, and her relationship with Tom/Samantha's sister feel just uncannily familiar to me.

Since my "other half" asked for a divorce and I started telling all my friends and family, they've almost universally confessed to me that they found her incredibly difficult to be around, for a variety of reasons, and that their relationships with me had suffered as a result. One repetitive theme is that she's "bossy," "controlling," was "puppeting" me, etc. She takes after her father in this. Another is that she's so incredibly self-centered that she's not even aware of how blatant she is about it. And should anyone stand up to her attempts to control them, she becomes verbally and emotionally abusive--not in a crass, scatological, name-calling sort of way that's easy to stand up to, but much more skillfully and subtly; she's a social psychologist by training and a writer with a gift for impromptu rationalization, so she can make you feel like you deserve it while she's accusing, blaming, belittling, and degrading you. And sadly, she seems to believe everything she says.

Lately I've been going around trying to "mend bridges" with more than one person I alienated over the years by standing up for her when she was being insufferable to them.

It's amazing, really, how thoroughly one can blind oneself to things one does not wish to see. I'm speaking of myself here as much as her. It's often said that love is blind; what's usually left unmentioned is that it also blinds. The way I saw it was that making her happy made me happy, one of the few things that truly did. Our marriage started to come apart years ago, I'm now realizing, because although I could blind myself to what she was doing to me and to my friends and family, I couldn't stand by and let her do it to my children, and as the years went by that became more and more of a contentious issue between us. It's only now, with some distance and perspective, and enlightenment from friends and family, that I'm able to understand that.

All of which is a rather roundabout, and maybe overly personal, way of saying that this story, and the way you're writing it, really resonates with me. I'm really looking forward to getting caught up, and then following the rest of the story as you post it, Sue.

one thought, then another...

.... I, too, and before reading the reader comments, thought of Portmerion (however you spell it) but then again, knowing the way villages in the south west of England work, it's not oppressive like that. OK so everyone knows everyone and knows their business, but, when I wrote about a similar place some years ago, the hairdressers I loved was great for all the village gossip. She didn't matter what she told to anyone she trusted was a local, (not a 'grockle' or tourist). Samantha had better get used to that endearing side of Cornish (or Devonian) village life!
So true to life, Susan - I love the way your characters are unfolding. xx

A welcoming village to call one's own...

Ole Ulfson's picture

A place we all search for but few find. Shangri-La on the Devon coast!

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

Re: Shangri-La on the Devon coast!

Or, perhaps (getting a bit closer to the setting of this story) a more fitting name would be Brigadoon! ;-)

Jenny