Changes~58

Printer-friendly version
I stared at the bonnet of my beautiful, shiny car and could not believe what I saw. I had thought my troubles were over and the tricks played by Nigel were a thing of the past. But no, it seemed I still had problems.
...

Changes

Chapter 58

By Susan Brown


 
 

Previously…

I arrived home and was welcomed by a posse of pussies–or do I mean a pride or a rabble–of pussies, all wanting to play, stalk or eat me. Having fed and watered the inner beasts and given a number of cuddles and strokes–two per cat, there’s a recession on–I was free to go and change my skirt.

After washing the soiled skirt, I went and sat by the pond. It was peaceful and pleasant here and I relaxed on the patio and let myself drift off…

I was awoken by a sound. It wasn’t a normal sound and I wasn’t sure what it was, but I think it was a sort of metallic chink sort of noise.

I rubbed my eyes and then regretted it as I had smudged my makeup, but then I heard the noise again. Lifting a cat off my lap, I stood up and made my way round to the side of the house where both my darling little Beemer and Abby’s car, Dolly, were parked. I heard the sound of running footsteps retreating away from me as I turned the corner. I couldn’t see anyone so he or she had gone. My heart was beating rather a lot as I turned away from the lane and gazed over at the cars.

I gasped as on the bonnet of my lovely shining car, written in red paint was:

‘Leave now, we don’t want your sort here.’

And now the story continues…

I stared at the bonnet of my beautiful, shiny car and could not believe what I saw. I had thought my troubles were over and the tricks played by Nigel were a thing of the past. But no, it seemed I still had problems.

As I approached beautiful BMW, I was able to view the paint daubs close at hand–still wet and dripping slightly. ‘What infamy!’ I thought; ‘obviously, somebody here has it in for me!’. I laughed at my own feeble joke, but it was a bitter laugh.

I would never know what I had done to deserve this. I had come to live here–a refuge from the trials and tribulations that I had experienced from my previous existence. I could have cried then, but I didn’t. I could have screamed at the top of my voice about the unjustness of it all, but I didn’t. I just went back indoors, made myself a cup of tea, ejected a cat from my seat, sat down and had a think.

I loved my Beemer, it was the only part of my previous existence that meant anything to me now. The house was really Olivia’s The business was really Nigel’s. But the car, it was mine and mine alone.

‘So,’ I thought, ‘what should I do about it?’

I could get others to run around and sort things out; I could cry on Abby’s shoulder until things got better, or I could even ask the local police force to put out an all points bulletin on the “perp”–as our American cousins would say. But no, I would stay calm and collected, do what was right and then nail the bugger to a tree when I caught him or her. It was obvious that there was someone who didn’t like me or what I represented. Right it was time for little Samantha to be a bit proactive and use her little grey cells–as Hercule Poirot was wont to say.

I stood up and went outside and looked at my car again. Anyone seeing this vandalism would think that there was something about me that would cause someone to want me to go away. But, and that was a big but, I wasn’t Tom anymore–a Tom that would run away and try to hide in a backwater like, erm, Penmarris. Well, it was a bit of a bonus that Penmarris was the place where I wanted to spend the rest of my life, together with my sweetheart and my daughter–and about a thousand cats, but that is beside the point.

It was obvious that by now, everyone and the canary in the sweet shop knew that I was transgendered. The jungle drums had started beating as I first stepped into the village and the smoke signals were enough to cause a mini climate change heralding the next ice age or even global warming. So, the fact that I was a wee bit different might make certain locals think that I could be the Antichrist or something. The fact that I had only met sweetness and light with the rare exception of a certain doctors’ receptionist did not mean that everyone loved me like their own.

So I had to decide who would be so nasty as to physically hurt a Beemer. A Skoda, well that would be understandable or a Merc, probably justified, but a Beemer–no, the mind had to be warped. I put my thoughts on hold as I picked up my little pink mobile ’phone and rung Mr Potts the mechanical guru.

‘Hello, Mr Potts, it’s Samantha Smart. I have some red pain on my bonnet, can you fix it?’

‘You’m should get a new bonnet, then. Can’t be that expensive. What d’yer want to wear a bonnet fer. Bit old-fashioned innit?’

‘No, Mr Potts, the bonnet of my car, you know, my BMW?’

‘Oh ri’ couldn’t understand what you’re sayin’; sounded like you come from Bodmin or summat. Just pop the car down anytime and I’ll quote ye.’

‘The trouble is, Mr Potts, someone has written something nasty in paint on my bonnet and I don’t want to drive it down the High Street like that.’

‘Bit naughty is it?’

‘Yes, to me, anyway.’

‘Ri’, give oi ten minutes and I’ll come and ’ave a look-see. At young Abby’s place, are ye?’

‘Yes.’

‘All ri’ see yer soon.’

With that he put the ’phone down and I went and made another cup of tea. I felt a bit reckless so I had no less than three Chocolate Hobnobs with my tea as I awaited the arrival of Mr Potts. I knew that there was no way that he would turn up in ten minutes and budgeted forty-five to be on the safe side. I picked up a pen and paper and started writing things down.

If Miss Marple could do it, I’m sure that I could find the culprit and reveal all in Dotty’s drawing room with all the suspects conveniently sat on chairs looking guilty as charged and the local constable looking baffled and perplexed as he held his truncheon suggestively and waited for the culprit to make a dash for the door.

‘Right,’ I thought, ‘let’s get down to it.’


1. Who had a motive?
2. Why would anyone one not like sweet little me?
3. List possible suspects–remember it is normally the one that is the least suspect.
4. Check out the butler first on the premise that the butler is always suspect. Mind you he is a sweetie–no, I must be strong and investigative.
5. Find out everyone’s movements from the list of suspects–note to self, should I wear the female version of a dear stalker and start smoking a pipe?
6. Stick to the point.
7. Ask said local constable, private dicks and others if there are any clues on nasty letters that they have as evidence.
8. Go and see Marcia as one of the notes had a distinctive medical type smell.
9. Get chops out of freezer for tea.
10. See if Katie has any ideas re the underworld and Nigel’s nasty little friends and acquaintances.

I put down the pen and paper as I heard the sound of a van pulling up outside. I went out to see who it was and was surprised to discover Mr Potts, half an hour earlier than my ETA for him. He was examining at the damage to my little darling and scratching his head.

‘Mmm,’ he said, ‘not very nice init?’

‘No; will it cost a lot to sort out?’

‘Need a strip down and respray, not much change out o’ five ’undred, give or take VAT.’

‘When can you do it?’

He looked at me and scratched his head again. I was tempted to recommend him a good dandruff preparation but wisely kept quiet.

‘Mmm, bring ’er over very early tomorrow, an’ I’ll try an’ get it sorted in a few days. Or ri’?’

‘Or ri’–I mean all right. Thanks, Mr Potts.’

‘You’m be welcome.’ He tugged his forelock–I didn’t know people did that still, but this was Penmarris–and left.

I was tempted to text Abby, but knew she was busy potterising so first of all, I rang my insurers to tell them about the infamy.

Looking at my insurance certificate, I found the claims line number in tiny writing buried deep in the wording. It was a premium line number–what an unexpected surprise, I don’t think! I dialled the number.


‘Thank you for calling Countrywide insurance, If you wish to have a quote, please press one. If you have a query on your policy, please press two. If you wish to cancel your policy, please press three. If you have a query about your premium, please press four. If you wish to make a claim please press five.’

I woke up at that point and pressed five.


‘Please note that your call may be recorded and in the event of a dispute regarding your claim, the recording may be used against you. Your rights are not affected by this in any way. Please press one if you are querying an existing claim. Press two if you do not agree with our decision on your claim. Press three if this is a new claim.’

I had virtually lost the will to live at this point and was as close as I had ever been to throwing the ’phone into the duck pond, but with fortitude I carried on regardless. After all we did win the war, didn’t we? I pressed three and awaited further instructions–Sherlock Holmes, I am sure would have deduced that this company couldn’t really give a toss about claims, rather, they were more interested in collecting in premiums so that executives could go on long and expensive holidays in the Bahamas.

‘Hello, my name is Inderjit, how can I be helping you, please?’

‘God a real voice–sorry err, Inderjit, did you say your name was? I have a claim I wish to make?’

Twenty minutes later, after telling him my life story, blood group and the size of my panties, he promised to send out a claims form–albeit reluctantly. I had to inform the local police in the shape of PC Len Troughton but I know what he would say–‘B’aint no chance of catching whoever did it’–but still miracles do happen, don’t they?

I had my third cup of tea and wondered if you could overdose on it–I was shaking slightly, then I remembered that I hadn’t taken my pills yet and might turn into a werewolf at any moment.

Sitting by the pond, I tried to relax. I would do some sleuthing later on and wondered if I should call Rent-a-Bloodhound or somebody. Anyway, it was somewhat soothing sitting there listening to the sound of the stream as it babbled away. Then of course I had to use the loo in a hurry–too much tea and running water does that for you.

As I emerged from my ablutions my ’phone chirped at me. I didn’t recognise the number, but it was local. I sat back down by the pond and pressed the green button thingie.

‘Hello?’

‘H—H-Hello, is that Samantha?’

‘Yes, who’s this?’

‘It’s Candice––’

‘Erm hello, Candice. How can I erm, help you?’

She sounded upset for some reason.

‘I—i—it’s my B—B—B—Brian.’ I was sure she was sobbing.

‘What’s happened to him?’

‘H—h—he’s taken an overdose, and he’s at the h—hospital…I’m with him. Luckily they got to him in time but he told me he wanted to die. He says that he can’t live like this anymore. I know that you are…transgendered, too. Please could you come and talk to him? I’m absolutely at my wits’ end.’

‘Of course. I’ll be there in fifteen minutes.’

I put the ’phone down and stared into the distance. I was not sure what I could do to help Brian. Surely Marcia would be better than me? Grabbing my bag and the spare keys for Dolly, I left a message on the table for Abby and then drove to the hospital.


To Be Continued…

Angel

The Cove By Liz Wright

Please leave comments…thanks! ~Sue

My thanks go to the brilliant and lovely Gabi for editing, help with the plot-lines and pulling the story into shape.

up
373 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A bit of a mystery!

Samantha is on call to aid those in distress. Miss Marple she's not. She is right about insurance companies. As much as they say they are there to help, there main goal seems to be to fleece you of your hard earned dollars for a promise to assist you when you make a claim. Unfortunately in the fine print they put so many conditions on the paying out your not likely to collect. But their main focus is MONEY.

Great story and Nice little mystery, will the culprit be someone we know?

I know Sam can help Brian.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Super Samantha

Another super chapter... I can imagine Samantha putting her phone down, jumping into a local phone booth ( with shades of course, modesty must be maintained ), then stepping out in her costume, with a large "S" emblazoned upon her chest ( no not Superman or Supergirl...but SuperSamantha ) rushing again, to help someone else. She is great, ur I mean Super. This is such a fine story. Whenever I log on, I check for your stories first, even before my mail. She is just a perfect example, of how we should all be. There are too many adjectives I could use to describe how I feel. I can't be her, but she is a role model for me. Thank you, Mary.

Could It Be?

Could it be Brian who vandalized the car before running off to try and snuff himself?

It fits some of the story's clues, such as the paper possibly being taken from the doctor's surgery (that's "office" to us Yanks) to send Sam the first anonymous nastygram. As the son of the receptionist, Brian would have had the opportunity, although why he couldn't find a scrap of paper on his own from elsewhere is anyone's guess. Unless he was trying to frame his Mum for whatever subliminal reason, or maybe she is one of those people who "liberates" the odd office supply for use at home now and again and he found them there.

Plus, there's the well-documented problem of some TG people and gays in early denial, trying to overdo the gender representation and social views they're "supposed" to have, in order to mask their condition. Acting out as a TG-phobe would fit this profile.

This also coincidentally fits The Rules Of Irony (tm), in which the tormentee, is unknowingly called upon to help the tormentor. Rescue, contrition, and a life-long friendship frequently ensue.

Of course, the indomitable Ms. Brown is going to write whatever she sees fit, so please pay no attention to my gleeful speculations. I'm just having great fun reading this story!

If Samantha

Was to transform into a werewolf, she could sniff her car and track down the cad who graffitied her car. But she is so sweet and caring that she will help a stranger in need. But is it a trap?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

if Samantha turns into a werewolf

laika's picture

I wouldn't want her in my town either! All right so I've become something of a lycanphobe,
but I'm sick of these neighbors of mine keeping me up with their howling + chasing my cat!
Although I realise it's a medical condition, and I sure wouldn't go defacing their car.
Given the enmity between them and werewolves the culprit could be a vampire...
~~~hugs, Laika

.
(And what did ever happen to FANCY A BITE? I love that story...)

Infamy!

‘What infamy!’ I thought; ‘obviously, somebody here has it in for me!’.

I'm sure I've heard something like this before and it made me laugh out loud; but it is so apposite to this latest misadventure in your excellent story, Sue.

As for the evil perpetrator, I somehow doubt it could be Brian, from my experience TG kids just aren't like that; I know, because I am the mother of one. Anyway I doubt that Brian would have had time to spray the graffiti and then go home and take an overdose.

Well done, another excellent Changes. Please keep up the good work, and thanks to Gabi for her editing.

Hugs,
Hilary

Infamy...

It's a line from Carry on Cleo, spoken by Kenneth Williams (portraying Julius Caesar):

"Infamy! Infamy! they've all got it in for me!"
 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Someone made a guess

About Brian being the culprit (so I forgot who so sue me :p), though he did attempt to take his own life afterwards. I, however, see the events being barely within an hour of each other. So I somehow don't see it that way. However, if Brian had some 'helpful acquaintance' who constantly depressed the misformed girl...

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

A Couple Hours, At Least

By my reading and count, what with the extended flabbergasty, the thoughtful cup of tea, or three, the visit and estimate by ol' Pottsie, the interminable phone call to the insurance company, the quiet thinking time down by the babbling brook, the filling of the bladder, etc., I clock at least two hours elapsed, and possibly more. Plenty of time for fleeing, despair, gagging down a bottle of pills and getting fortuitously discovered and rushed off to hospital. Three hours might fit better, and the story isn't specific about how much time Samantha spent in contemplation, so it could have been.

Heck. What with going back to read bits of the story, and to polish my words, it takes me over 20 minutes just to write a little note like this. (I know a lot about contemplation!)

Could be either way.

Regardless (Look! Is it a demonic duck of some sort?! ;) ), it's 1 in the morning around me so I won't go over the story again to recheck...

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Two victims?

Athena N's picture

That was my guess too: that the same, er, person who decorated Samantha's beloved BMW had also done something similar to Brian, probably not for the first time. As the latter seems the least confident of the Penmarris transsexuals, today's 'encouraging' message managed to incite a suicide attempt. Let's hope that this will lead to the discovery of the author of these notes.

Samantha Smart, Private Eye

terrynaut's picture

I hope she's able to track down the culprit. That was just plain mean, painting up her baby like that.

It does seem somewhat of a coincidence with Brian trying to commit suicide just after the bonnet painting, but I'll just wait and see. I'm not jumping to any conclusions. I'll wait for Samantha to follow the clues.

Thanks for the story. Please keep up the good work.

- Terry

What fun!

OK, so who's been watching repeats of Poirot and Miss Marple? :)

It was Colonel Mustard, in the Drawing Room, with the Rope. (Cluedo)
And now, everyone connected with Sam will be killed off because of the grudge (Midsomer Murders)
And the mystery will be solved by an Oxford detective who drives a burgandy Jaguar while listening to The Magic Flute... (Morse)
Or the scruffy, one eyed 'tech in a trenchcoat... (Columbo)
Or a mystery writer who happens to be on the scene at the time... (Murder, She Wrote)
Or four teenagers and a very timid (and greedy) Great Dane... (Scooby Doo)
(Err...running out of mystery shows!)

-oOo-

As for Brian, I don't think he was the perpetrator. Maybe he's been a victim of abuse as well? However the perpetrator would have to be pretty stupid to take on Sarah, given who her adopted mum is...

It's a shame Sam doesn't know a certain Portsmouth resident who's experienced far worse than poison pen letters and a defaced car...

-oOo-

Oh yes, then insurance companies. I recently had to make a claim (someone decided to change into my lane on a roundabout at the same speed as me - knocking my wing mirror and sidelight off). There's a dedicated claims line, but you still have to endure a computerised menu system.
New claim / existing claim, then you're presented with four legal questions which you have to press for yes before you speak to a human, who then repeats the questions - just in case you lied at the menu stage - stuff such as are you the registered owner of the car, don't exaggerate or you could end up in legal trouble, was anyone daft enough to accept liability etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if they follow the lead of cinema companies and implement speech recognition on their menu systems in future (the cinema companies ask you to say the name of the cinema you want info on, then "Yes please!" when it starts reading out the name of the film you want info on)

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Not to mention

... the husband and wife couple who when they met was 'murder' (Heart to Heart)

Kim

If It Is Brian.....

jengrl's picture

If it is Brian, I think the motive might be that he (or she as the case appears to be)may be trying to drive Samantha out because she is living the life that they have wanted for themselves. They may feel that their parents might not understand so they have tried to live how others want them to. It may be that Brian felt guilty about what he did and decided to try to end his life. Sue, You have a wonderful way of firing the imagination of your readers. That makes your stories an absolute joy to read. It is fun to speculate, but only you know how you want it to end up. I look forward to more of this great story.

Hugs,

Jen

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Not Brian, at all

Brian attempts to take his life close on the heels of Samantha's BMW defacement...This suggests a possible connection to me, but not the one that seems to be popular here. I suggest that the person bedeviling Samantha is also viciously doing the same, in one way or another, to poor Brian. We may see a few clues coming together in the next chapter. Woe unto the culprit when Samantha realizes they have been attacking a youth! And when Lady Fairbairn hears of it--my blood positively chills!

SuZie

SuZie

Yet another connection to the Geek

Brian is a teen. The computer guru / hacker is a teen with a skill. My money is still on him.

The Geek has a connection to somebody at the Doctor's office. Candice, Brian's Mom could know him and say, "My son's friend is real good with computers. I can get him to look at it..." He also can be a person who has "rejected" Brian once he knows of his issues. The Geek also could be a chum to our already identified antagonist adding to any conspiracy theories since we have already seen 'like father, like son.'

They're all in it together!!!

Episode Ruined For Me

joannebarbarella's picture

I was appalled at the lapse of credibility in the description of the phone call. I have come to expect the highest standards in Sue Brown's writing and fully expect any minor errors to be picked up and corrected by the diligent (as well as brilliant and lovely) Gabi.

So imagine my horror when it was evident that they had both fallen asleep at the wheel and incorporated the most glaring faux pas into this chapter.

I have NEVER heard of anyone getting connected to a Hotline with such apparent ease.

In my experience (and in reality) the call would surely have gone:-

"....Press 3 if this is a new claim."
(Sam presses 3)
"We're sorry. All our lines are busy right now. Please hold and one of our customer service representatives will attend to you as soon as possible."
30 seconds of inane canned music.
"We're sorry. Our lines are still busy. Your call is important to us. Please continue to hold."
30 seconds of inane canned music.
"We're sorry. Our lines are still busy. Your call is important to us. Please continue to hold."
30 seconds of inane canned music.
Repeat sequence at least ten times.
"YellowmynameisInderjit....."

Shame on you, ladies. If you wish your story to be taken seriously you must strive for more verisimilitude in future,

Joanne

Optimist

... Last time I contacted my electric utility for customer service:

The wait time for your call is 1 hour and 18 minutes (!) ...
If you leave your number we will call you back ....

Yeah right.

Kim

Insurers

Insurance claim lines are usually fairly quick to respond, for fairly obvious reasons.
Their customer service lines, on the other hand...

(Strangely enough, they make sure the "Do you want to cancel your policy?" line is seriously understaffed...)

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

There is a clue you know!

The writing on the car was in English and readable!

This should narrow the culprit down to about 1 in 10 in town!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Fantastic Writing and Comments

RAMI

As always this is a fantastic continuation o the story and very well written with lots of wit. The comments and speculation are wonderful. However, I think Sue waits to see what comments are made, and how the readers think the story will go and then makes sure that she does something entirely different. SO, I think that Brian being the car-defacer is unlikely.

RAMI

RAMI