Changes~51

Printer-friendly version
I was unable do anything–she was too heavy for me to lift her. She didn’t seem to be aware of my presence. In desperation I searched about me but the lane was empty...

Changes

Chapter 51

By Susan Brown


 
 

Previously…

Then I did the bravest or, perhaps more accurately, the stupidest thing that I would ever do: I went to the front door, put the chain on and cracked the door open. I expected to see some heavy bruiser there, perhaps shotgun in hand, ready to blast away and end my life. I recoiled as the wind and rain hit my scantily clad body. Shivering, I peered out. There was nobody there. I sighed with relief and was just about to close the door, when I heard a faint moan. Was that a cat making that noise? No cat should be out on a night like this, so I took the chain off the door and opened it up a bit more. It wasn’t very light outside, the nearest lamp post being about fifty feet away. I could not see a cat but then I noticed a movement out of the corner of my eye. It was a foot, by the side of the path. Someone was lying, just out of my sight, behind the low brick wall that bordered the front of my small garden.

Could it be a trick? Did someone want to lure me out to attack me? No, whoever it was; was lying on the ground and I could hear more moaning. Someone was in trouble and I had to help. With no more thoughts of personal safety, I ran out in my thin nightie and slippers–shivering in the wet and cold–down the steps and out into the lane.

Someone was lying there face down–a woman with long blond hair who was lying in a foetal position and moaning. I got on my hands and knees and tried to turn her over.

“Let me help you,” I called, trying to make myself heard over the howling of the wind.

My hair kept getting in my eyes and the rain wasn’t helping any either, but I finally managed to turn her over. I nearly screamed when I saw who it was–Olivia!
 
 
And now the story continues…
 
 
I was unable do anything–she was too heavy for me to lift her. She didn’t seem to be aware of my presence. In desperation I searched about me but the lane was empty.

‘I won’t be long.’ I shouted in her ear, but there was no response.

I ran back up the steps and into the cottage.

‘ABBY!’ I screamed at the top of my voice. I few seconds later I heard a bump and then a dishevelled Abby was standing at the top of the stairs, blinking in the light.

‘Thank God. Look, don’t ask questions, call for an ambulance and Marcia. Olivia’s outside in the rain and she’s collapsed. Then come and help me bring her indoors–’

‘But––’

‘I said don’t ask questions, she needs help now!’

Abby gave me one more puzzled look then seemed to wake up a tad and disappeared–I hoped to do what I had asked her.

Quickly, I put on my yellow anorak; it wouldn’t do Olivia any good if I died of exposure. Abby’s thick mac was on a peg by the door. I plucked it up and ran back outside. Olivia hadn’t moved and was just lying there moaning. My heart went into my mouth as I could see beneath her thin coat, some blood splattered on her dress. I covered her with the mac and then sat down beside her, cradling her head.

Was it all too late? I wondered.

‘They won’t be long,’ I shouted, ‘the doctor’ll be here soon. Hang on!’

I became aware that she had stopped moving and I was terrified that she had died or something. Time seemed to stretch and I was cradling her head and rocking her. Once again, I wondered about the fact that there was a lot of blood on her dress and was fearful that the baby might be dead and Olivia could be bleeding to death here on the soaking wet path. I felt helpless as there was no way, in this deluge that I could do anything more than hold her until help arrived. I started sobbing and then jumped as I felt someone grab my arm. Glancing up, I could saw Abb, her wet hair falling over her face as she looked down on us in horror. With difficulty, I stood up and the two of us tried to get Olivia into the cottage. I had virtually no strength, still being weak from my illness, but incredibly, we managed.

Olivia appeared to revive slightly and was able to stand with our support, but she was gasping for breath and clutching her tummy. It didn’t take a brain surgeon to realise that she was starting to go into labour.

Somehow we got her into the sitting room where the heat from the fire was still evident from the glowing embers in the grate. As she was just wearing the thin, blood splattered summer dress and a long thin coat , she was soaked to the skin. Across her shoulders was a bag, so we quickly removed it and then all her clothes. Her teeth were chattering and she looked a bit blue around the lips.

‘Oh God Samantha, look at the blood!’

I was very concerned as apart from the fact that she was obviously contracting regularly, she was shivering and might get hyperthermia or something. Abby fetched some towels and dried her as she lay there on the sofa, moaning deliriously, not making any sense. I was puzzled because I couldn’t see any sign of blood in the area of her groin, but in our hurry to get her warm and dry I thought nothing more of it.

I vaguely heard Abby say something about help being on the way as I struggled to get Olivia into a cotton nightdress.

There was a bang on the door and Abby went to answer it. I couldn’t do a thing as Olivia was holding my hand in a vice-like grip and repeatedly saying sorry for some reason.

All this might sound disjointed, but that was what it was like. I had felt virtually numb with shock finding her here of all places. She must have come to me for some reason and I had no idea why. I would have thought that she would come anywhere but here.

Marcia entered the room in a hurry, took one look at Olivia and immediately buckled to. I was at the head end and Marcia was down the other end, checking what was going on in the baby department. Abby was pacing up and down asking if we needed boiling water and lots of towels and did anyone want a cup of tea. I would have laughed at that, had things been any less serious!

It could have been a minute or an hour later–time had flown out of the window–when I heard, in the distance, the faint sounds of sirens and then the room was full of uniforms, shouting and in seconds, Olivia was whisked away. I yelled that I would come straight away as she left in a wheeled stretcher thingy.

I wasn’t dressed, so after pulling on some jeans and a top, I found myself being driven in my car by Abby at what seemed like a suicidal speed through the lanes and out on the main road into town.

We arrived at the hospital just as Olivia was being trundled inside. I was just able to grab her hand and managed to say something dim-witted like ‘hang on in there,’ as she was wheeled through some doors and I was left waiting outside, clinging to Abby and wondering if she was going to be all right.

As we sat in the waiting room I clutched Abby’s hand. She was just there for me, and I loved her all the more for it, bless her. She didn’t even try to surmise why Olivia had come all the way to Devon in her condition.

We sat there for what seemed like hours. Marcia came in a few times to say that Olivia was holding up but was in a bad way and they were trying to save her and the baby. There was a bit of concern that the baby was only at about 32 weeks and underdeveloped. The contractions had stopped but as Mother was showing signs of pre-eclampsia and seizures, they might have to do something drastic. They were trying to stabilise her with drugs, but if things got worse, the baby would have to be delivered by Caesarean section.

It seemed like the longest night of my life. I was vaguely aware that we had been joined by Jocasta and David and it was so comforting that my friends were rallying round. The hugs I received from them helped to give me more strength somehow.

I had plenty of time to think about the situation and how, above all, I felt about Olivia as we waited–and waited–and waited. I was unable to dismiss the almost ten years of marriage that I had had with her. I had loved her for much of that time, even though I now knew that the love I had was based on a false premise. Had I known the truth about her and the duplicity, I know now that the marriage would either not have gone ahead or we would have been divorced years ago. That apart, we did have some good times and despite everything, I still had a place in my heart for her. And now she and her baby were fighting for their lives a few short feet from where I was sitting–but why?

Why had she come to me? I had no idea and it would be a puzzle until I was able–hopefully–to speak to her. Then I realised with a sinking feeling that Nigel should be told. I knew his home number off by heart but I didn’t want to speak to him–but I had to. Olivia was his daughter and whatever I felt about him, he needed to know what was happening. I reluctantly got up from the seat next to Abby. She was asleep across a couple of chairs and I tried not to wake her. Jocasta was asleep too but David was sitting there, reading an old magazine. He looked up at me enquiringly, a gentle smile playing on his face.

I motioned that we should go outside, so as to not wake up “the girls”.

When we reached the cold, green-coloured corridor, I shivered slightly. I hated hospitals at the best of times, and at this time–the early hours of the morning–it was a bleak and depressing place in extremis.

‘What’s wrong, Samantha?’

‘I—I ought to speak to her father. He has a right to know.’

His kind compassionate face looked at me. ‘You detest him, don’t you?’

‘Yes. I think he made Olivia the way she is. He has never liked me and this divorce thing, well its made thing a lot worse. He despises me for what and who I am. I know that if he doesn’t get his bloody knighthood, he will blame it all on me.’

‘He doesn’t still think he’s going to get that, does he, after all the tricks he’s pulled?’

‘Yes, one of his many faults is that he thinks that he is never wrong and his ego tells him that despite everything, he will be dubbed Sir Nigel.’

‘So you need to tell him about Olivia?’

‘Yes, I must. Anyway, if I don’t, it will just be another thing to hold against me.’

‘What’s his number?’

‘Why?’

‘I’ll ring him. You’re in no fit state to speak to that bully.’

‘David, I couldn’t allow you–’

‘–Yes you could. Look, if I’m able to argue the toss with Dotty Fairbairn and come out alive, I’m sure I can handle a minor thug like Nigel.’

I looked at him and knew that he was right. If I spoke to Nigel, the way I felt at the moment in my fragile state, I would probably turn into a quivering blob of jelly.

I took the little notebook with the phone numbers out of my bag and handed it to David.

‘Right,’ he said, all businesslike, ‘leave it to me.’

He strode off down the corridor in search of a pay phone and I returned to the waiting room and sat down by the gently snoring, but very beautiful, Abby. I wondered how the conversation was going and could imagine the blustering Nigel shouting down the phone, blaming everyone but himself for this disaster.

David was taking a long time and I wondered if he was unable to find a working phone. I was just about to get up to look for him, when he walked back in. He looked as white as a sheet as he looked over at me and motioned me outside. I got up carefully, not wanting to wake the snoozing Abby and followed him outside. There were hard plastic seats lining the corridor and David motioned me to sit on one and he sat beside me.

‘Well, I asked, ‘was he as obnoxious as usual?’

‘N—no.’

‘What’s wrong, David?’

‘Look, I erm, wasn’t able to speak to Nigel. He wasn’t available.’

‘What do you mean wasn’t available; was he away or something?’

‘Sort of.’

‘Look, David, you’re talking in riddles. Please tell me what’s going on?’

‘As I say I wasn’t able to speak to him. You should concentrate on Olivia and the baby.’

I looked at David, He was hiding something, I just knew it––

‘David, you may be the best vicar since Jesus did that neat thing with the loaves and fishes, but you are not a good liar. Please tell me the truth. I’m a big girl now. Did he have a bit of a go at you? He does that, the bully.’

He looked at me, had some sort of internal struggled and just shrugged.

‘When I rang his home, Nigel didn’t answer, it was a policeman––’

‘–So they caught up with the slimy so-an’-so, I knew that in the end––’

‘–Listen, Sam, please. He–they–found him.’

‘What do you mean, found him?’

David, if anything had turned even paler.

‘He was dead–on his bed and had been stabbed several times–’


To Be Continued...

Angel

The Cove By Liz Wright

Please leave comments...thanks! ~Sue

My thanks go to the brilliant and lovely Gabi for editing, help with the plot-lines and pulling the story into shape.

up
390 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sticking Point

Sometimes, plots hit a sticking point. This isn't that kind, though!

(Please forgive the irresistible, and horrible, pun.)

Great story! Loving it, like, totally!

At Least Nigel Won't Get His Knighthood For Sure

jengrl's picture

One doesn't have to be a Rocket Scientist to get the idea of what happened. How she knew where Samantha lived is a mystery? I think if she does survive she will be facing charges for murder. It will be interesting to know what happened between them. Maybe she finally figured out just what kind of man her father was and confronted him about all the stuff he has been doing to Samantha. She just might have a decent bone left in her body after all.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

My catchall Scenario

RAMI

Well I protected myself in my list of 7 possible scenarios for this chapter that I posted as comments to chapter 50.

Scenario D did mention that Olivia was giving birth prematurely. But, as every good commentor should do I covered all my bets with Scenario F, reprinted here in Glorious Fashion.

F) Sue will come up with something really unique as she always does.

I for sure did not think of this one, and if I remember correctly, neither did anyone else. Sue did comeup with something UNIQUE!!!

I know from the story and Sue's blog she thought that this might be too traumatic for some folks, but I personally do not think that most readers, except perhaps those who have had a similar (Premature delivery - traumatic death of a family member) experience would be too upset that Nigel got his due.

But, now the next question. Is the blood on Olivia's Nigel's?
If so why did she kill him? Unlike a wound from a gun, which could be accidental, multiple knife wounds usually show an intentional (perhaps not premeditated) attack, backed with some degree of emotion.

Luckily, Samantha can account for her whereabouts or she might be a suspect.

RAMI

PLEASE - In line with Erin's request, there is no need for a gun use, control or ownership debate on my last comment.

RAMI

RAMI

I knew it!

I so called Nigel being murdered when there was blood on Olivia. Still... I really hope that Sam doesn't feel responsible for helping Olivia look after the child now... >.> All the horrible things she's done were still *her* choice no matter how much a jerk her father was. I know, I'm cruel.

Anyway, hope to see more.

I'm gobsmacked

Truly stunned. Now I shall sit here doing a fish imitation until the next chapter.

Well Done!

Battery.jpg

Custody

Actually, two custodies...

Olivia, assuming she doesn't croak, is going to be taken into police custody to help them with their enquiries, at the very least. From there, she'll either end up as part of some florid public trial, or in care for some long time for being criminally bonkers.

As to the baby, assuming it survives, and in both cases I'm not sure why either of them shouldn't survive in an English hospital. (They're usually quite competent at that.) Ummm... wait, lost the sentence there... Anyway, assuming the kid makes it, someone is going to get custody. Either an institution, a foster parent, or.... next of kin? How might this work, I ask myself? Biological father, unknown. Closest relative for legal purposes, a separated but non-divorced spouse. Unless Samantha decides to fight on the grounds that the child is illegitimate, guess who the authorities are going to ask first to take custody? With Olivia effectively out of the picture one way or another, how will Samantha feel about accepting custody? Especially, once she gets to see the kid up close and starts bonding.

A whirlwind of action!

The entire situation was shown in a famous flash-like manner, when only a few details at a time stand out. It was superb!

Nigel stabbed to death, Olivia in labour and in danger of dying from it... That family is going down rapidly. However, if they did not have any "Last Will and Testament" prepared Sam might just become the owner of the entire mess... and since Nigel was in cohorts with crime, you can see the many ways it can go wrong.

Faraway

On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Well!!!

Everyone has beaten me to every cliche I could think of! (Never would have thought of "Gobsmacked", though! ...but it's a good one!)
Nigel's dead and we will be spared all the juicy bits about his downfall from the hoped for knighthood. But Samantha has shown her true nature in her caring for someone in need, even if it is Olivia. We could expect no less from her. As to what happens next, I'm sure we'll be "Gobsmacked" again! (Do I need to pay a user fee for that word?)

Diane.

We Still Do Not Know Who

Murdered him. Could Olivia have run to Samantha at his urging after he was executed? There is the father of the child to contend with. And what about Dotty's son? He might like Olivia.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Well Sue you sure know how

Pamreed's picture

Well Sue you sure know how to leave wanting more!! Did you used to write for soap operas in a past life?? Now I will be looking for the next installment with baited breath!!!

You are GOOD!!!!!

Hugs,
Pamela

Wowzers...

After all of your warnings. This is not good, but the story could have turned much, much worse. I'm not insensitize or any thing. Every life is important. But in the long run you get what you deserve. We all pay for our sins. It would be a shame if Olivia did it... but knives are personal weapons. There is a lot emotion in stabbing someone. In being that close to them when they die. I still get very upset, when I remember "Saving Private Ryan". The scene where the american sniper is killed with his own bayonnet, as the german who after a fight slowly pushes it into his chest... death is by inches... Mary.

Well i guess

the big question is ...Did she do the deed or was it someone else the lovely! Nigel had upset .... Top quality writing as usual Sue and i just can't wait to find out what happens next.

Hugs Kirri

We don't yet know

for sure that Nigel's blood is that which is on Olivia's clothing. We also don't know whether or not Nigel upset someone else, who decided to try and get rid of the whole family. We don't know if Olivia was bleeding/bloody when she left home to travel to Sam's place. Did they find a murder weapon? Did it have Olivia's prints on it? Did she travel across England with a stab wound? Will the attempted intimidation of Sam & Co. stop now that Nigel is dead - or was that someone else? Who sent the hate mail? What did I have for breakfast?

As usual, Sue has left us in a one-way quandary with a number of routes out, all of which stand a good chance of prolonging the agony.

Tune in for the next exciting episode of.... Sorry, wrong serial.

Anyway, this is addictive stuff; it certainly looks as though 'Changes' is here to stay for a while.

Susie

Jumping To Conclusions

joannebarbarella's picture

Author Warning! Author warning!

The writer is notorious for pointing her readers down false trails. The obvious conclusion here is that Olivia has killed her father and fled in grief and confusion to the only person who may help her. Don't trust Sue Brown! There will surely be some other solution boiling away in that labyrinthine, Byzantine instrument that she calls a mind.

I'm not even going to try a guess this time. There are just too many possibilities.

A finely written chapter, illustrating the confusion of a crisis in the middle of the night, and conveying that stop-go perception of a disjointed reality. Nicely done, Sue,

Joanne

Agreed, Sue is tormeting her readers -- sniffle -- So cruel !

Could be self defense, could be temporary insanity on Olivia's part. Say Daddy Deadest tried to force her into a new marriage or to making her trap Samatha into becoming her husband again or arranged a late term abortion by some doctor he has by the bollocks.

Stan might even be right and someone else killed Nigel and she got the blood on herself on finding her dying father. It would be the nasty henchman in that case. As he died he told her where Samantha was or she saw it in his records and she fled the house fearing for her own life or being framed.

Likely we are all off in left field and Sue will suprise us again,

And how did she get to Samantha's?

Olivia and the baby are in bad shape, right out off a Dicken's novel or Bronte.

Thanks Sue.

John in auwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Oooh, the possibilities

What a great chapter. Sue, this story is so marvelous you left my head spinning.

Perhaps Olivia was at Nigel's when one of his henchmen came after him because Lady F's enquiries are creating heat for Nigel and company. In this scenario, Olivia fled and, due to the matters of the divorce had been apprised of Olivia's address either by Nigel or her lawyer (however they got the address).

Or, Olivia was able to find out just what a shit her father was adn they had a scene; the stabbing could have been self defense gone amok or from a breakdown when she found out from her father the extent of his machinations; this being the hell hath no fury situation.

What really piques my curiosity is the disposition of Nigel's estate. I'm sure his will leaves it to Olivia. If Olivia killed him and is convicted, would she still be able to inherit or would it go to Samantha and/ or the child?

Of course if Olivia dies, and Sam is the beneficiary of the will, the entire lot would go to Samantha, making her one of the two wealthiest women in the Cove. If Olivia dies intestate and the baby doesn't survive, I presume Sam would inherit as they are still married. I don't know what English law provides for if someone dies intestate and leaves a spouse and a child but whatever the law is, that would govern the case if Olivia dies and the baby survives.

Of course since Samantha and Olivia are still married, should the baby survive and Olivia dies, I'm sure Sam would wind up parenting.

WHat a great plot twist. You have, in one chapter, given us many possibilities to ponder.

Excellent twist!

I never saw this coming. Resolves some issues and creates a few others. Definitely, gives a lot of options for the story line. It appears that Olivia confronted Nigel about the information Samantha provided and Olivia acted.

Well written and definitely a sobering moment and a certified cliff hanger. No matter what, I love your stories. Now I am anxiously waiting to find out what really happened.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Wild Guess

terrynaut's picture

Wow! This is rather a grim chapter. It's quite full of suspense though. I just can't look away!

I'm going to guess that Olivia witnessed the deadly deed from a hiding place. She came out from hiding afterwards and got blood on her. Then she panicked and zipped off to Penmarris Cove, where she asked someone where Samantha lived. She followed the directions and stood out in the rain for a long time, too afraid to knock, or perhaps she was in shock by then. She finally knocked but she'd been outside too long. She was wet and cold and collapsed. Yikes!

Am I close?

Thanks very much for the story. Please keep up the good work.

- Terry

The Detective Did It!

Hey, it worked for Agatha Christie...

Actually, this had me thinking back -- I'm not sure why -- to somebody's theory that the baby was incestuous and Nigel was the father. That'd certainly give him and Olivia something substantial to argue about. Of course, there are a lot of other things, if Olivia did in fact do the deed.

There's a question, assuming Olivia was at the crime scene, why she felt she couldn't go home first and take off the bloodstained dress or at least put on a heavier coat. Was it just a state of panic, was she trying to avoid police apprehension after killing Nigel, or was she trying to escape from a murderer who knew she was a witness (and knew where she lived)? If she recovers, she'll probably tell us, though we don't know how credible her story will be.

Eric

How excitement!

Boy! that kept me hanging on to my wig.

Oliva, if she killed Nigel must have had a good reason, I'm still backing Nigel is the baby's father?
Somewhere way back I remember Sam and Abby talking about adopting a family in the future, this innocent little one if she/he survives will surely need all the TLC S&A can provide?

I can see some tear jerkers coming!

Nice one Sue (& tks Gabbi).

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Olivia,

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Witness or perpetrator, self defense?

No Knighthood I guess!