The Princess and the Plague : 25

Printer-friendly version
The Princess and the Plague
Part 25
By Anistasia Allread
Edited by Karen J.

“Feels good doesn't it,” Samantha said from behind her.

Erika nodded.

“You coming to the party at Greg's?”

“I'm grounded,” Erika reminded her, “My dad is here to take me home.”

     
duckling.jpg

 
 
“Okay, girls, gather around.” Melinda called.

Erika and the other Rally girls stopped the routine that they were working on and joined Melinda and the cheer squad.

“For some of you this is your first time cheering at a game.” Melinda fixed a few in the crowd with a smile. “You'll be just fine. We all get nervous before a game even the ones that have been doing this for a few years. If you get lost, just watch your leaders and fake it until you can get back into the groove.” She paused to let that sink in.

“The first thing we do when we get out there is to set up or gear, then we do a few cheers for the student body. We'll then go around to the other side of the field to do our dance routine and a few cheers for the season ticket holders before going back to the student body.

Just before the start of the game, we'll make the tunnel along with the marching band and cheer the players as they race onto the field to the fight song. Then it's back to the stands for keeping the cheers going and the crowd rowdy and in the game. Got it?” she looked around. To nodding heads. “Alright, lets go.”

Erika found herself walking around the track carrying a duffel. She still felt the urge to pull her skirt down, but every time she did, she would get looks from Samantha, as well as Jordon and Taylor.

Some of the die hard foot ball fans were already waiting at the entrance to the field. The vendors were hard at work preparing the food for the night's hungry spectators. A few security officers stood at various spots next to the roped off field smiling at the cheer and rally squad as they made their way to their designated area.

She was half way around the field when the powerful lights snapped on, giving the entire field a white, washed out glow. The morning's rain left water droplets clinging to the blades of grass like dew sparkling as if the field was covered diamonds under the bright lights.

“Keep limber,” the blonde Jordon muttered to Erika, “With the nights getting cooler, it's easier to cramp up or strain a muscle.”

“Thanks, Jordon.”

A commotion at the gates caught her attention. Erika looked back to see that the gates had been opened and people were making their way to their seats and concessions.

“If you have to go to the bathroom, go now.” Melinda called out to the rest of the girls as they stowed their duffels under a bench next to one of the security guards.

“Will they be safe here?” Erika asked Samantha.

“Yes, Dan here has been guarding our stuff and this section of the field for years. No one has ever had anything stolen. Have they Dan?”

“Not on my watch,” the guard smirked.

The people at the gates parted as the marching band in their red and white uniforms playing the fight song marched onto the track and began marching around the field to their reserved section.

“They finally got some good cadences and songs this year.” Taylor stated for the new girls' to hear. “Last year we couldn't dance to any of their pieces.

Erika watched as the stands started to fill up with noisy groups of people gathering in clumps, laughing, talking and even singing. Memories of her nightmare flashed through her consciousness. She shook her head to clear the thoughts, her ponytail flicking across her cheeks as it swung side to side.

Erika joined a few of the other girls as they jumped In place and began stretching in the cooling evening.

“Okay girls, lets get started!” Melinda directed.

The Rally girls separated to flank each side of the Cheer squad. They spread out and stood straight with arms at their sides, feet together as they waited for their cue.

As the cheer started, Erika could feel her body just take over. Her arms and legs obeyed the trained moves. She danced and yelled as they had practiced.

At the end of the cheer, the Cheerleaders went into some tumbling moves. A couple of the guys tumbled past each other in front of the squad doing back flips and hands springs. Erika had seen them practicing in the gym, but it had mats. Here it was just the track.

The squads did a couple of more cheers then made their way back to the other side of the track where the ticket holders were settling in for the game.

“These people pay good money for their seats,” Taylor explained, “They need to be shown that they are appreciated.

A few of the people in the stands began cheering as the girls took up their places for their routines. A flush of embarrassment flashed over Erika's face, but then she didn't have time to think as the music started and the dance began.

The two squads did a few more cheers and dances, getting some in the crowd to join in as they yelled, stomped and clapped.

“Here we go Warthogs! Here We Go! Here We Go Warthogs! Here We Go!”

On her way back to the other side of the field, Erika heard her name. She looked in the direction of it's call and spotted her father waving and smiling from the stands. Erika waved back blushing slightly.

The band was already on the field playing their pre-game show. Taylor, Melinda and the others gathered up the squad and headed for a goal post.

“We've got to cheer them on to the field,” Jordon explained, “Make the tunnel.”

Erika joined the rest of her squad creating a line opposite of Samantha and her squad's line. The marching band in their red and white joined the lines and waited for their cue.

Large red uniforms with white helmets came pouring out of the locker room. The band struck up in the fight song and the cheerleaders raised a large paper wall. Both sides of the field stomped and cheered. The wall of red and white picked up speed and plowed through the paper wall and ran out on the field, arms raised in eager anticipation.

Erika's heart beat hard and loud as she was taken up in the excitement of the game. The girls of the squad, when not cheering, explained the game to her as best as they could.

Erika had to keep her eyes down and on Taylor and Jordon during the dance. Whenever they strayed to the stands, flashbacks of her nightmare reared their ugly head.

To get a cheer going, Jordon or Samantha would run over to where the marching band was in the stands and tell the Drum Major who would pass it to the band. Once the cheerleaders started the cheer, the band automatically picked it up and cheered with them, encouraging the rest of the student body as well as others to join.

“Washington! Washington! Go! Fight! Win!”

And win they did. Erika couldn't believe what a high she was on having her school football team winning a game that she cheered at. Her body was tired, her voice hoarse from yelling and she couldn't wipe the smile off from her face.

“Feels good doesn't it,” Samantha said from behind her.

Erika nodded.

“You coming to the party at Greg's?”

“I'm grounded,” Erika reminded her, “My dad is here to take me home.”

“Oh. Well, Maybe next week?”

“Perhaps if I am free.” Erika nodded.

Erika bid her friends and squad good night and slung her duffel up on to her shoulder and walked out to the emptying parking lot.

“You were great!” her dad greeted her at the truck. “I didn't know you could dance like that.”

“I didn't know I could dance like that.” Erika smiled as she joined her dad in the truck.

Her father smiled

“Mom didn't come?”

“I think she still needs some time.” Her father said. “We'll be able to talk about it tomorrow with Dr. Barts.”
 
 

--o0o--

 
 
Erika was sitting behind her father as he pulled the car into the lot in front of Dr. Barts office. It was strange yet comforting having her father with her. For the past few months she had come here to this office with her mother, never her father. Today she was there with both of her parents.

She spent a little extra time getting ready for this appointment. She took care with her hair and her make up; put on a nice skirt, blouse and pumps. When she looked in the mirror she not only looked pretty, but felt pretty.

The three walked into the Doctor's waiting room.

“Ah, Dr. Barts will be with you in just a moment,” The receptionist told them.

Erika sat on the edge of one of the seats. She was too nervous, too anxious to even look at a magazine. Each second that passed seemed like an hour.

“Mr. Mrs. Martin, Erika?” Dr Barts smiled from the door, “Please come in.”

Erika followed by her parents joined Dr. Barts in her office. A small table with chairs was set up dominating the room.

“Please, have a seat,” Dr. Barts gestured. She took a seat nearest to her desk.

Erika took up a seat to her left. To her right her father took a seat. Her mother sat opposite.

“Would you care for some coffee? Tea? I can get some lattes if you wish?” Dr. Barts asked, “I've got water here.” She gestured to a pitcher and cups on a side table.

“No thanks,” her father smiled.

Erika's mother shook her head.

“Welcome Mr. Martin, I'm glad to finally meet you.”

“It's good to finally meet you too, Dr. Barts.”

“Well, Erika,” Dr. Barts looked to her, “We are all here because we care about you and wish to help you.”

Erika flushed a little at the statement.

“So from what I have heard and gathered, you explained to your parents that you were a girl, earlier this week.”

Erika nodded.

“How does that make you feel, Mr. Martin?”

“Well. . . “ her father began, “As I told her earlier this week, whether boy or girl, she is my child. I love her and only want the best for her.”

“I am surprised at what you say,” Dr. Barts settled back, “From what your wife and child have told, me these past few months, you weren't that open-minded.”

“My family isn't open-minded,” Mr. Martin explained, “My grandmother and her family banished my Uncle Will when he came out to the family. I swore that I would never do that to my child if it were to be their fate.”

“So your family is close-minded about such issues?” Dr. Barts asked.

“Unfortunately, yes.”

“How do you think they will handle this situation?”

“Not well, I'm afraid.”

“I'm sorry to hear that,” Dr. Barts included Erika and then her mother in the comment. Her gaze stayed on Erika's mom. “Mrs. Martin how do you feel about Erika's decision?”

Erika's mother was quiet for a long while. She swallowed hard and stole glances across the table at her child and husband. She then looked into her lap. “It's like I told you before, I think this is just a phase or a cry for attention.”

“Your mother has been seeing me the past few days.” Dr. Barts explained to Erika.

“I am having a hard time with this — this decision.” She admitted.

“What about this summer when you saw me?” Erika asked, “You seemed to be okay with it then.”

“I was a bit shocked, and thought that it is a phase that some go through.” Mrs. Martin explained.

“You don't believe that I feel like a girl, that I want to be a girl?” Erika asked.

“You have never shown any signs of it growing up.” Erika's mom argued, “You didn't want to play with dolls or show any feminine inclinations.”

“Would it have made a difference if he had?” Dr. Barts asked.

“I — I don't know,” her mother admitted.

“Well, I have some news that might shed some light on this whole thing.” Dr. Barts stretched behind her and pulled a file off from her desk. She set it down in front of her and flipped it open, scanning it. “I got this yesterday. It's the results of Erika's blood work.”

Erika's heart jumped. She sat forward a bit.

“One of the reasons I asked you to get the blood tests was to check Erika's hormone levels. If she decided to continue with this direction she may want to start hormone therapy. The first blood test showed some interesting results so your Doctor and I asked for a second test to confirm what we saw.” Dr. Barts looked up from the file. “The results confirmed my suspicions. . . Erika hasn't gone through puberty.”

“I've grown and am getting hair.” Erika was confused.

“Your blood tests show that your testosterone levels are very low. We then checked for estrogen levels to see if you may be producing estrogen instead. They are present, but also low. While we had the blood we also had your chromosomes tested.”

“To see if she really is a girl?” Erika's mom sat forward.

Dr. Barts nodded. “The chromosome comes up XY.” She looked at Erika, “Which means that genetically you are a boy.”

“Then why do I feel like a girl?” Erika protested.

Dr. Barts shook her head, “That is what we will continue to explore in our sessions.” She looked to Erika's parents. Erika's PCP and I feel that it would be wise for you to have Erika see an Endocrinologist, a doctor that specializes in hormones. He will do further tests and try to figure out why your body isn't producing testosterone.”

“That would explain some of what is going on.” Erika's father nodded, “What about the rest of it? Is she — could she be transgender?”

“That is a good question,” Dr. Barts smiled. “I believe that she may be, but I'd like to see what the Endocrinologist comes up with as well as what Erika and I work on in our sessions.”

“So do I get to continue being Erika?” Erika asked.

“You act and be who you feel you are.” Dr. Barts nodded.

“So what happens if this Endocrinologist can start Eric's — Erika's testosterone?” Mrs. Martin asked.

“Well, that depends upon Erika as well. If she decides to stay as she is or to transition into a girl, then the Endocrinologist may start her on estrogen. If she decides not to transition and to continue being a boy, he may start her on testosterone. It is really up to you three and me.”

“So can this lack of hormones make Eric want to be a girl?” Mrs. Martin asked.

“It could make Erika more sensitive, less likely to fits of rage. As you can see it keeps her from developing masculine muscles and body hair. Her voice hasn't deepened.”

Erika's mom shook her head, “So it isn't just a phase?”

“I don't believe it is,” Dr. Barts stated, “I believe that she is doing the best she can with what her body is giving her.”

Erika's mother took in a deep unsteady breath.

“For the past few years, other boys Eric's age have been developing, growing taller; during that whole time, Eric has remained small, pre-pubescent. Imagine how hard it was for him to stay frozen, stuck in time. How the others surging with testosterone must have treated him.” She explained, “Look how much she has blossomed since she has become Erika.”

Erika's father nodded proudly, “She's got friends, and she's on the Rally squad.”

Dr. Barts smiled.

“I watched her last night, she's really good.” he boasted.

“Erika,” Dr. Barts looked to her, “Do you wish to continue your life as Erika?”

Erika nodded.

“Okay, if you'd like, I'll clear my schedule so that I can join you at the school to speak with the principal,” She looked to Erika's parents. “Are we all on the same page here?” her eyes drifted to Erika's mother.

Erika's mother nodded slowly, “I'm not happy about it, but I'll go along with it for now, at least until we talk to the Endocrinologist.”
 
 

--o0o--

 
 


 
To Be Continued...

up
210 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice Story

This continues to be a very nice story. I have enjoyed reading about Erica's developement.
Hilltopper

Gina_Summer2009__2__1_.jpgHilltopper

Go Washington! Go Erika!

terrynaut's picture

The story continues and so does my enjoyment of it. :)

I love the description of the football game. I'm not really much of a spectator but it's hard not to get caught up in the energy and excitement at a game. In other words, I can relate to Erika. That's always good.

I can also relate to Erika's problem with her mother. That's not so good but it's still good to face such problems. I'm looking forward to seeing how you deal with it.

Thanks very much for the chapter and please keep up the good work.

- Terry

Well....they were certainly

Well....they were certainly interesting results from Dr Barts tests! Testosterone and Estrogen levels both present but low!...So i guess that makes Erika, Gender wise something of a blank canvas.

Erika's mother is a little bit of a worry to me, Question's to Dr Barts about Testosterone, Make me think that she would love to get Erika taking it ... But then... We all know what Erika would think of that.

So now its back to the school and the meeting with the principle, Now that could prove very interesting ...After all Erika's records don't exactly tell the truth, Do they?

I know i say this almost every time Ani, But i really love this story, Thanks for writing it.

Hugs Kirri

Well, THAT Does Explain Things A Bit

Personally, I feel that Erika is doing fine. But what if things had changed? What if Erica had a Best Friend who had prevented the 'Plague' from starting? That would be worth seeing.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

That would be in the realm

of fanfic-dom. Which seems to be YOUR specialty, hmmmm :).

Kim

Gender vs. Gender Identity

This is a great story! I'm enjoying it immensely. As such, I'm really involved in the characters, as if they were real people. And, when real people express ideas that I think are wrong, I'm sometimes motivated to argue with them.

So, here I am, about to start arguing with fictional characters. Silly, I know, but also a testament to how involving this story is.

I'd like to see Dr. Barts put more of a damper on Mrs. Martin's "death grip" on the theory that "Eric's problem is just low testosterone levels." The majority of children express their gender identity long before puberty arrives. While it's not Dr. Barts' job to completely dash Mrs. Martin's hopes and desires, a little reality check might be in order. I'd toss in a lecture on how, if Mrs. Martin was to force testosterone therapy on Erika to induce a male puberty, and it DIDN'T change her gender identity, then she will have committed quite a traumatic assault upon her own child.

By the way, the endocrinology of puberty is a bit more complex than just testosterone and estrogen. Besides the pituitary gonadotropins, including LH and FSH, which among other things, stimulate the gonads to release sex hormones, there is something called Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone ("GnRH"), which I gather has something to do with stimulating the release of LH and FSH, and even more hormones and complex feedback loops to govern all of it. The still-controversial treatment to delay puberty in suspected GID children actually involves administering a synthetic analogue of GnRH, which instead of inducing puberty, ends up suppressing the feedback loop that would cause it.

The pituitary gland, by the way, which is involved in regulating all this stuff, is located at the base of the brain. The whole mind vs. body argument kind of gets fuzzy when you look at the pituitary, where it is, and how complex the systems are that govern it.

Low testosterone...

Puddintane's picture

..is undoubtedly caused by a failure, or series of failures, somewhat earlier in the chain of events which lead to puberty, since it's known that certain genetic anomalies, and indeed nutritional deficits, *also* delay or prevent the onset of puberty, but none of this matters one tiny whit.

The fact is that modern medical science hasn't the foggiest clue what causes "failure" of "correct" gender identification, and Dr Barts' "theory" has every bit as much chance of being scientifically "accurate" as almost any other not due to direct intervention by angels or demons.

It has the advantage of depending on purely psychological processes, although arguably initiated (or at least facilitated) by a physiological event, and therefore avoids tendentious disputation about "whose fault" it may be, and exactly where in the brain the "angel," or "demon," that causes transsexuality resides.

Why is it necessary to find fault in the first place? There is nothing which the human imagination cannot desire and strive to make real; why is it necessary that this particular desire, rather than the desire, for example, to conquer the world, end starvation in Africa, gather up a billion pounds worth of our common heritage to one's personal use, put a human being on Mars, or enter Nirvana (or Heaven) be founded in genetics when so many things quite clearly aren't?

Is there a pathway in the brain that leads inevitably to Hitler? to the Dalai Lama? to transsexuality? Or is it just something all humans are capable of? We have many examples in fiction*, Steel Beach by John Varley, Triton by Samuel R. Delany (a gay man), and others in which it's quite clearly and unremarkably a fashion statement, and the success of Vogue Magazine makes clear that fashion is a very powerful motivator indeed.

In India, there is a traditional caste, the Hijra, of transvestites and "transsexuals." Do they *all* have something "going on" in their brains?

In antiquity, many men felt religiously inspired, or obligated, to castrate themselves and live as women. Might piety and divine inspiration, rather than "defects" in their brains, have had something to do with this? In what way is it "better" to have a genetic "disease" than a holy calling? Were these men deluded when they believed that the Goddess smiled on their desire to be more like Her? Or are *we* deluded when we believe that our knowledge is "better" than theirs?

At this point in scientific history, we are quite unable to make anything other than "educated guesses," based on our current set of prejudices and beliefs, so it serves little purpose, other than to discourage (and in some cases to abuse) authors, to argue about things of which we are *all* profoundly ignorant.

We note too that there are many stories well-liked here, about which few (if any) quibble, which attribute miraculous changes to the power of prayer, and who would dare gainsay them?

Likewise, lightning, aliens from space, mysterious artefacts from antiquity, magic mud, and mysterious government (or criminal) agencies, are potent sources of gender change, yet few feel the need to rant on about whether aliens (well-known to be vivisectionists and to abduct buxom young women for carnal purposes) are likely to wave a magic crystal and turn a perfectly normal man into a sexy young woman against his will.

Why is it "reasonable" to argue the qualifications of fictional scientists when the qualifications of fictional priests, alien machines, witches, and glowing meteors are sacrosanct?

Exactly how do any of these faux "explanations" differ in substantial detail from "the Devil made me do it!", or "that Bitch made me less of a man!"?

I personally quite like the theory propounded by Dr Frank N. Furter in the Rocky Horror Picture Show, "Don't Dream It, Be It!", but maybe that's just me.

Cheers,

Puddin'
-----------
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
--- Arthur C. Clarke

* I heartily recommend both of these novels, because an alternative view is always useful.

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Easy Enough Question to Answer...

Because science is, to the extent possible given its human participants and place in society, a rational field, driven by results rather than wishful thinking. Indeed, the traditional difference between science fiction and fantasy is that devices in SF have to be explained (or at least require an attempt at an explanation) and those in fantasy don't require that.

So gender reassignment in a story by nonscientific means can't easily be argued with; it's hard for us to tell an author that she's wrong about something happening in that author's own universe that doesn't require an explanation. (If it's inconsistent with other premises of the same story/universe, then one can point that out, though the author can still assert that "it is because it is".)

Something for which a scientific or medical explanation is being offered runs up against a different set of questions or values. Readers DO have a point when they say "that's not the way it works" or "you're not explaining it well enough." They aren't necessarily right, and their objection can be answered by others, among other ways, by asserting that it's the critic who has the science wrong, or saying that scientifically, the point hasn't been proven one way or another.

(True, since you brought up Clarke's Law, there may be a point in SF where questioning becomes futile. But that can also be a copout, or a resort to fantasy. Even there, an author needs a reason why her "sufficiently advanced technology" isn't explainable, even in general terms, to a current-era reader -- and that reader has every right to expect one.)

Getting back to this story, your point certainly may be valid that science currently doesn't know the answers to gender ID questions. (I'm in no position to argue either way on that case; personally I'm grateful, as Rami and I discussed a few chapters back, that A.A. didn't go the "Eric's been physiologically female all along" route that we were concerned the story was headed.) But there's far more reason to ask that question than there is to demand an explanation for the Medallion of Zulo, or divine (or infernal) influence, or anything else that isn't subject to rational explanation.

Eric

SF/F

Puddintane's picture

>> the traditional difference between science fiction and fantasy is that devices in SF have to be explained...

The line is thin, and consists primarily of *assertions* that the particular brand of magic used in "SF" stories — as opposed to "F" stories — is "real," that some sort of "plausible" scientific explanation exists which is rarely, if ever, specified in sufficient detail as to be amenable to actual investigation.

The "Ansible" comes immediately to mind, a communication device which allows instantaneous communication at interstellar distances, or "Scrith," the miraculous "metal" which has a tensile strength approximating the strong nuclear force, yet allows a device called a "Cziltang Brone" to repeatedly penetrate the durable substance and allow the passage of arbitrarily large objects or people. In Jack Finney's superb time travel novels, Time and Again and From Time to Time, moving from one century to the next requires simply a trick of concentration, as one might see a faint star through an averted gaze, but the story in each of these lies in the people, and the situations they inhabit, not the means by which they arrive.

In real life, there's no *real* distinction to be made between Le Guin's Ansible and Tolkien's Silmaril, both of which are "scientific" within the context of their respective stories, and both of which are fantasy, as far as we can know.

Some SF attempts to stick closely to real science, such as the human devices in Arthur C Clarke's 2001, but even that story quickly descends to magic when push comes to shove.

This largely illusory "gap" is explicitly bridged in Heinlein's Waldo and Magic, Incorporated, and in the "Harold Shea" stories by L. Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt, later continued by de Camp and others, as well as many authors before and since. In each of these two named instances, "magic" is a manifestation of an alternative reality, obeying "mathematical" laws and otherwise amenable to scientific investigation, yet mediated by "spells" or their mathematical equivalents.

People may have preferences for one take on magic or another, depending on how many pseudo-scientific words they can digest at one sitting, but they're flavours of the same genre, and blend imperceptibly one into the other.

My point, however, was not a quibble over one purported Grand Unified Theory of Transsexuality or another, or whether one could see the Isle of Man from the top of Coniston Old Man on the morning of April seventh, 1863, but a more general complaint, that these theories and "factoids," not one of which is the one and only "correct" theory or "true" reflection of reality, were being used as sticks with which to beat up authors who were, for the most part, just trying to tell a good story.

It doesn't matter whether something is "true" or not if it's either cruel or unkind, and storytelling embraces, by its very nature, an "alternate" reality in which things remembered or described may not record each moment with photographic precision. There's always *something* left out of the frame, *some* "tricks of the light" that may fool the eye, or mind, of either the teller of the tale or the reader. Sometimes both.

I have been present when a group of (usually) men argue about sports statistics, who did what, when they did it, how it compares to similar performances by others, and what lasting impact it had upon the world, if any. Let me assure you that these "facts," though they perhaps loom locally large in the minds of the disputants, do not constitute a story, nor describe a relationship, nor serve as a centre of rapt interest for any particularly large segment of the human population of the world.

The fact is that there was no 221b Baker Street, no Erehwon, no Shangri-La, and attempts to locate them on the map are not only fruitless but misguided. If one is telling the story of "How Susan Fell in Love," whether she arrived via the Powell-Mason line or took the Powell-Hyde is both impertinent and a senseless distinction. So what if one is mistaken? Who cares? Does anyone save cable car schedules from twelve years past? A hundred? Does it matter? Both routes wind up in the same place, or nearly so, and it's entirely possible that she took the F car instead, perhaps even a taxi. Perhaps, just perhaps, the story was simply invented, or vaguely "truish," with names and places altered — more or less at random — to protect real identities and situations, while retaining the core of the interaction.

When commenting, consider the motivation for the comment, whether it adds or detracts from the story, whether it encourages or discourages the author, and resolve always to be kind.

If the authors here are "paid" in comments, is it a fair bargain to offer dirt and mud in return? Should the author feel grateful that one has deigned to notice their "errors," or is there something that one can honestly contribute?

If you happen to know that the victor in the 1877 Test Match was Australia, and that the author has made a "mistake," first look carefully to try and ascertain whether this is a alternate reality, whether it's an important plot point, and whether anyone now living gives a damn, and only then offer your comment as a PM.

Cheers,

Puddin'
-------------
If you haven't got anything
nice to say about anybody,
come sit next to me.
--- Alice Roosevelt Longworth

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

I Disagree With a Lot of That...

...but in ways that aren't germane to this story, so this doesn't seem to be the place for further discussion.

Eric

Simply Baffled

Puddin, dear one, I find myself simply baffled by your composite exposition, above.

The implication that my aside on the complexity of puberty was a critique of what the author has already written is certainly news to me. It was merely an aside on the complexity of puberty, expressed after my reaction to the story, with perhaps the vague hope that some of it, or something similar, might creep into later chapters to come to lend an air of further authority/authenticity/technobabble, which I'll admit to being fond of.

My opinion of the author's work remains... let's just say I'm in thrall, and the desire to talk back to the characters, merely proof of that.

>> The implication that my aside

Puddintane's picture

Not at all. Nothing whatsoever to do with your comments in any particular, although there was a general critique there, based largely on other conversations, and different contexts, not participated in by you, but which have precipitated hurt feelings in the past.

Please feel quite free to regard me as the equivalent of the Dormouse in Alice, who wakes up from time to time, says something completely silly, and then goes back to sleep. You have to admit, though, that tarts are made of treacle.

Puddin'
--------------------
(No relation to Spike, well, perhaps on my Great-Aunt's side of the family...)

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Blood Tests Are In

RAMI

Anistasia, THANK YOU for providing us with the blood tests results that you did. I am sure you remember my deep concern about how the story might go, if they proved positively that Erika was flooded with Estrogen. What you gave us instead is another quandary to be dealt with. Erika is XY so genetically a male, but has not started puberty and has low levels of estrogen and testosterone. What a messed up body. It's a messed up body that leads to a messed up kid.

Dr. Barts having never met dad, appears to think he and his family are an issue. Hopefully, he has proved that is not the case. Has mom been asked how her family will react to the news. Dad's family is a known quantity, and can be handled as such. Perhaps mom's family is just as bad. If they have never confronted this issue who knows how they might react.

Dr. Barts is ready to go speak with the Principal and let the cat out of the bag. When does the good doctor wish to do this? Before or after the Endocrinologist report is in?

What is the medical/psychological effect of a male not producing enough testosterone? Could that alone effect Erika's desire to be female? If sufficient testosterone is given to Eric, to jump start his male puberty, will he still have the same feelings? Will added testosterone destroy "The Plague" part of his personality? If he never was "The Plague" or had been able to overcome that himself would he ever started the journey to Erika? What is the proper medical process to follow at this time? Should Erika be treated with testosterone before being allowed to transition?

Going to school and letting the cat out of the bag, will start in motion what many of us fear is dire consequences for Erika and her friends. Erika will be exposed as Eric, the former "Plague". The girls in on the deception will be subject to punishment for falsifying records etc. All of them including Erika could be expelled. While there may be laws in place in this community that would allow a transgendered youth to transition openly, that law does not protect the child, his parents, or his co-conspirators from being punished for their prior actions. As I previously wrote, what could happen is:

a) The school will punish her and her friends.
b) The girls on the cheer and rally squads might feel that they were betrayed not only by Erika but by Samantha, Tricia, and her other friends. Will those girls be kicked off the teams? Will they themselves be harassed?
c) Julian will fell deceived. He will easily become the recipient of gay jokes. In high school, it will take a brave and strong man to fend that off.
d) All of those who tormented Eric as "The Plaque" will have a field day going after Erika "The Plaquette".

That Erika did not attend the after game party that week, was probably best for her and her friends. There was no possibility of a repeat of last week. What happened to Tricia and/or Julian? Why were they not at the game? Or if they were why was there no contact between them and Erika?

Again, Anistasia another good chapter and again, Thank You for not letting the blood results take the story in a predictable fashion.

RAMI

Testosterone

If I were Erika, no way would I want to have Testosterone in my system. One's gender identity as another poster had already mentioned is not malleable.

While the story says that Erika did not have any trans feelings in her childhood, it is possible she just did not care. But that is not relevant because Erika has self-identified - finally. It is her choice.

To give Erika testosterone would be a grave disservice as it would affect her transition really badly. I just pray the mother does not try to slip her any. It is my understanding that testosterone is injectable only so trying to sneak it into her food would not work.

I do not know what your perspective - whether you are 'normal', TV, TG, TS , gender queer - whatever - but to even suggest such a thing is puzzling.

Kim

Rami - perhaps you missed it but Dad already set up the appt

KristineRead's picture

Rami,

Perhaps you missed it but Dad already set up the appointment with the school for next week. Mom was unable to pick up her son, and now can't pick up her daughter because the school does not believe that Erika belongs to her. That has to be straightened out. Dr. Barts is not responsible for this situation by any means, and she is NOT the one that set up the appointment.

She is aware of it because "Mom" has told her about it, and she has offered to attend with them so that they do not have to face it alone.

The school is subject to MAJOR lawsuits already for their lack of protection in loco parentis of Eric, which Dr. Barts is well aware of, both from Eric and from other patients. I feel confident that she will have no problem calling them on the carpet for their failure to provide Eric with a safe environment, and that the school will ultimately have to work with them. I would doubt that there will be any serious punishment for Erika or her friends, except possibly the girl (can't remember which one, Victoria maybe) that works in the office may be dismissed from that position, but I think that is unlikely.

Somehow I have the impression that Dad is a successful business person, used to dealing with negotiations. I don't think he is going to let this get out of hand either.

As part of all this, I really don't believe that the school will want to out Erika any more than her parents or Dr. Barts will. They will probably make some accomodations regarding bathroom and ultimately what to do about gym class. As for being kicked off the squad, can't see that happening, certainly not by the school, again school systems are very, very cautious when they are under the threat of lawsuits, and this school is wide, wide open to it.

So it is sort of a game of chicken, but I have no doubt at all that it will be the school that turns, and not Erika and her family.

Now if you add to all of that, the way this story has progressed from the beginning of Camp K, and how AA has handled such 'crisis' of exposure througout, I would say that the likelihood of this being a devasting outing of Eric as Erika goes to almost negligible. AA likes to tease us with these possibilities, but pulls the rug out on them at the last moment. The fun is guessing how she is going to handle that in each case.

By the way, Anastasia, Thanks for another great chapter!

Hugs,

Kristy

A rebuttal

RAMI

Dear Kristine,

I am answering the points you made regarding my comment. However, with due respect for Anistasia, I am not trying to be critical of her story or her writing in my comments. I realize this is fiction, and allow for situations to develop that might not exist in real life. Anistasia, has been great, when people have challenged her, in finding away to either deflect or explain away that challenge. As I stated in my comment, I was one of several people who were scared about where this story could go with the blood tests results. Low and behold, she came up with a solution that was very creative, and as for me, not one that I would have thought of. That all being said I will now respond to your points.

Yes, I am sure dad set up the appointment with the school on his own before this visit to Dr. Barts. However, if Dr. Barts had suggested that they wait until after they had the results of the visit with the Endocrinologist, dad and mom would likely have waited a few days or a week before, having what will likely be a difficult meeting for all concerned.

Mom, was unable to pick up her son, because, her child - her son, to be specific was not attending school there. That child and his friends, had broken into the school records, changing them so as to delete Eric Martin and create Erika Summers. That dad was able to pick up his “daughter” is remarkable, because, as I have pointed out before, if he had been asked for his identification, as is required in most schools, his last name and Erika’s would not match. Now of course that is not necessarily unusual. What would have happened, is that Erika’s file would have been pulled and a form that allows for pick up would have been examined. Was there one of those in “Erika’s” school file. If so, whom did the girls list as her parents’ and at what address. Did they use Eric Martin’s address and list Mr. & Mrs .Martin as her parents or guardian or did they create some fictitious parents and a fictitious address. Since it would appear that mom and dad are not well know at school, I doubt Erica Summers would have left school with Mr. Martin.

The parents may have a claim against the school. However, I do not think that we have ever heard the schools side of the story. We have only heard Eric’s and perhaps some confirmation from Samantha. If Mr. & Mrs. Martin had ever complained to the school, about Eric’s treatment at school they would have a better case. They however, for what ever reason, basically ignored their son, while he suffered through those indignities. Perhaps some of the escapades of Erika and her friends could go unpunished, however it will be difficult for the school to allow the change in school records to be treated so lightly. Changing the records and breaking into the computer for doing so are criminal offenses. I do not suggest anyone will go to jail, but it is possible it will be treated by the authorities as a juvenile offense. As good kids, with clean records, the punishment will not be that harsh, but in the real world there would be punishment.

If the school allows Erika to attend, without making it known that she is the former Eric, then things will not be as difficult for Erika or her friends. That, subterfuge is dependent on no one, who could cause harm, becoming privy to the situation. Since, it appears that few, if anyone, at school including, students, teachers or administration at school knows Mr. or Mrs. Martin or can link them to Erika, their failure to ever have been at school may be a blessing in disguise.

I do not remember exactly what Mr. Martin does for a living. The family is probably fairly comfortable. Eric was sent to camp for the whole summer, which is expensive. I do not recall if Mrs. Martin had a job outside the house, but I do not think so. So does he have pull, or do the other children’s parents have pull to make this go away, is pure speculation.

You raise the point of the school making some accommodations for Erika regarding bathroom and ultimately what to do about gym class. Once they do that, and Erika has to explain it away, the chance of discovery becomes greater. And, if she needs special accommodations, for gym class, those same rules should apply for dressing for the rally squad. The problem might not be the school, but could easily come from some parent, who on learning “that their little girl is sharing a locker room/bathroom/being on the same team with that pervert of a boy masquerading as a girl”, will cause all hell to break loose.

I guess I see complications where others might not. I also think that pre-planning for all negative consequences, is necessary to either prevent them from happening or to be ready to respond to them when they happen.

One thing, Kristine, that I will completely agree with you on is that Anistasia, as you say it “A.A. likes to tease us with these possibilities, but pulls the rug out on them at the last moment. The fun is guessing how she is going to handle that in each case.” I will further concede your point that she has made sure that Eric/Eric/a/Erika has come through all crises, without any horrific or lasting damage . I will be shocked if the “Princess and the Plague” does not have a happy ending.

RAMI

RAMI

Point - Counterpoint ;)

KristineRead's picture

Dear Rami,

First off I am in complete agreement that Anistasia has been really good about responding to what people have expressed as concerns.

With regards to waiting for the results of the endocronology, I really don't think it makes much difference, as it is really a red herring in my mind to the whole thing. Eric had no prior desire to be a girl. I think it is perfectly clear that Eric's comfort level at being Erika is as much a result of how uncomfortable life has been the last couple of years. That really had nothing to do with his gender. Erika gave him a new start on life, and she has not really had any of the downsides of changing to Erika yet. Everyone that knows, has been remarkably supportive, with the notable exception of Mom. Mom though she is not happy about it, does love her child, and is not going to do anything to expose her. This is both from her own love, and also from her own concerns about the embarrasment to the family. But it is clear that she will eventually come around, both because her love for Eric/Erika are clear and because her husband will continue to push her towards acceptance.

Frankly in real life, a responsible therapist would make Erika face being Eric first, before she would be allowed to start transition. I know from past discussions that we both agree on that fact.

In any case, Erika has found that life as a girl is preferable. She is no longer the plague, she has real friends, she has a serious relationship. She is accepted. This is a no brainer as to what to do.

For all of these reasons I don't think the endocronolgy report will make much difference in which way Erika goes regardless of how it comes out.

Waiting to meet the school, just means that there is more opportunity for the school to find out on their own, instead of on their terms. It is better to get it straightened out, the sooner the better.

While I agree that the school should have probably checked his ID, you would be surprised to know how often they don't. I am a parent, I have a 14 year old and I have often picked up my son, and have NEVER been asked for ID at his current school, not even right after we moved in here and no one knew us. This is even true when there are people in the office that I have not met before. The fact is if it is an older child, and Erika is at least a sophomore in high school does not dispute it, they are likely to let her go without checking ID. Especially in a non-city environment like the one that Erika goes to. The office is very aware of the kids that have custodial restrictions, and are deligent in those cases.

With regards to the case against the school. We have Erika's word, we have Samantha backing it up. We have Victoria backing it up. We also have the following from Part 3:

“I know he doesn’t have many friends and kids tease him.”

“Mrs. Martin, your son’s nickname is infamous.” Dr. Barts stressed, “I’ve heard others in my office refer to him by that nick name, so I know a little of what has befallen him.”

The incident at the flag pole with him being taped naked cannot be ignored. There is no possible way that the school should have allowed the parents to not be brought in for a meeting to insure that the parents knew what had happened. That is their responsibility, and the perpetrators should have been up on charges.

Erika and his friends did not actually change any records. Nor did they hack the computer, in fact they said that security was too tight, unlike the camps computers. They did break and enter and took records, copied them and modified them and supplied the falsified records as Erikas. But I could not find any place where they actually changed Eric's records. Not going to whitewash it, but the offenses are different. In addition, they were not doing so with the "intent to defraud," which will also go in their favor. I seriously doubt there will be any real punishment, again in return for an agreement to not sue, I really do believe that it will be arranged.

We do not know for sure what Erika's dad does for a living. However the conversation he was having in the last chapter of Camp Kumoni was one that sounded like a manager that was used to being in control. He also left work without any hesitation when Mom discovered that Erika was not at school, and he was unable to get away to come to camp. These are the clues that led to my assertion that he is probably used to negotiations. As you point out, Mom does not appear to work, and they are doing well enough to be able to afford a nice home, in a nice area and a full summer summer camp, which is definitely an expensive proposition.

Keep in mind that gym class has already been indicated as being something that only has to be taken once. (This is actually one of the most unlikely things, as most school systems require it every year.) But Erika is not in gym this year. Erika has not been getting changed in the locker room, and will probably continue that. As for the bathroom, it is not too difficult for Erika to use the one in the nurses office, there is always one there, and that is easy enough to explain. Simply say she has to go there for medications, and uses it while there. The nurse would have to be in on it, minimal risk.

You are right if it becomes public knowledge there would be some people that will cause Erika alot of problems, I just don't think Erika is likely to be exposed in this story, which may not be realistic, but is consistent with the story as it has been done.

I would have enjoyed a story that explored those aspects, but that is not the story Anistasia chose to write. I have, as many others have, truly enjoyed Erika's journey to date. It is in fact my favorite story on BCTS, hands down.

Hugs,

Kristy

No more rebuttals

RAMI

Dear Kristy:

No more rebuttals from me. We have covered all the possible angles that could be debated.

One thing that I can definetly agree with you on, this is by far the best story on this site. The number of votes and comments are proof of that fact.

RAMI

RAMI

Gym class...

Puddintane's picture

Actually, many smaller school districts have eliminated gym classes entirely in high school, sometimes with an optional class in something that doesn't require much supervision, because it enables them to eliminate expensive teacher positions with no decline in academic (no child left behind) preparation and test performance. The mandatory gym classes many of us remember are becoming rare across the USA, and even Texas, which eliminated mandatory gyn classes in 2000, I think, only recently reinstated limited fitness training in an attempt to minimise childhood obesity. They have not, last I looked, restored the elaborate programmes many of us remember.

Your mileage, may vary, of course, depending on your local school district, but when I drive by my local Middle School I don't see organised games or excercise, but a bunch of students, some in street clothes, wandering around outside with *one* teacher "supervising," evidently concerned only that they don't wander off campus or kill each other.

I don't drive by but the one, so I can't vouch for other grades, but I suspect that high schools are worse, although there *may* be more organisation in the local elementary schools.

In any case, pep squad and cheerleading are "gym classes" last I looked (my sister was a cheerleader, so I had second-hand knowledge of the requirements) and the freedom from ordinary gym was one of the perquisites, as far as my sister was concerned. I, on the other hand, was excused for other reasons, so we both lucked out.

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

That may be true Puddin'

KristineRead's picture

That may be true Puddin'.

I can't speak for other areas, it is still required here.

Having said that, since Erika's school does have gym, I'm surprised that it is only required once in four years. I would think that if they were going to have the expense of having it, they would still require it, but again I can't speak for other areas.

i don't know if they count the organized sports/cheerleading here or not. They did not when I went to school, but as you aptly pointed out that was a long time ago...

Hugs,

Kristy

Is Erica here to stay?

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Hi Ani,

It is beginning to look as if Erica is the permanent character. I for one am very please by this. I'm not trying to push your plot in any one direction, but simply comment on what I perceive to be the way the story is headed. The mother seems to need a little more sympathy for Erica and a little less about herself.

Thank you for sharing your story with us.

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

>> “Do you wish to continue your life as Erika?”

Puddintane's picture

What a refreshingly guilt-free and non-prejudicial way of putting this.

This, to me, is one of the best and most powerful stories I've seen in quite a while, not least because, although it *depicts* ignorance and prejudice, it doesn't *depend* on either bigotry or a disease model for the motivations of its protagonist.

We all, according to Maslow, have a need to "self-actualise," which can take many forms. Some become Generals of the Army, some become Saints, and some become transsexuals. Why is it *wrong* to do any of these things unless one has an "excuse?" Erik/Erika has made what seems to be a purely rational *decision* that she will be happier living as a female, based in part upon the prejudice of the society she lives in which is contemptuous of "weak" or "small" men.

She's found a doctor who agrees with her.

No "irresistible" impulse," no "mutation" in her genes, just logic.

How perfectly charming and adult.

How profoundly astonishing.

Well done, Ms Allread. Well done indeed,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Awed

I have been known to put some long winded comments at time. I hope they were not too tiresome though.

That is the most succinct and insightful comment I have seen in this whole series. I am really humbled.

Some other posters ( I suspect I am in that category too ) try to find a way to rationalize her choice; make excuses.

Why should we apologize for who/what we are ?

Thank you. Your comment really made my day. It has really taken the prize for best comment.

Kim

Agreed!

**I had a much longer post, but as I was half-asleep while writing, it got waaay to long and rambley. If anyone really wants to read it, PM me and I'll show it you. >.< I might even finish it and turn it into something worth reading.**

Thank you Anastasia! This was yet another wonderful chapter that turned your readers' predictions on their ears, and did so in such a way that we keep coming back, begging for more. (^__^) Keep up the good work, and know that we're glad you're out there!

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

Sorry to be Dumb

What does the statement by Dr. Barts

"Erika's PCP"

mean? Google only wanted to tell me about the drug.

PCP

A PCP is a Preferred Care Provider basically your pesonal doctor.

sorry, I know just enough medical terminology to be dangerous.

Hope you all are enjoying the story

A.A.

Thanks

I had misread it completely. I was thinking that PCP was a description of Erika's condition and that what followed was a separate sentence. It all makes perfect sense now.

Like many others, I am enjoying this series immensely.

Often also called...

Puddintane's picture

a Primary Care Physician.

Acronyms are everywhere, and overlap.

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Hmm...

Generally speaking I'm not a big fan of plot twists like "oh, and we got the test results back and you're hormonally/genetically unusual." Happens all the time in online stories...and very rarely with the TG people I know in real life ("average across the board" is a lot more common for a bloodwork result).

On the other hand, Erika's result isn't anything too improbable (some people do start puberty late), so it might work in this case.

I Had The Same Problem

jengrl's picture

I can identify with Erika's situation because I had the same problem. My Testosterone results showed that I had the same level as a 1 year old. My doctor said that it was obvious there was something going on there. My testes were small and under developed and I showed signs of breast development. He even asked me if I was taking black market hormones before I started HRT. I hadn't. He was really surprised at the levels when the tests did come back. He expected it to be low, but not that low. Erika's mother must get a grip on reality and recognize the risks that occur if Testosterone is brought into the equation. Erika could have Testicular Cancer or Androgen Sensitivity that could be made worse if Testosterone is brought into play. Would she want to endanger her child's life just to advance a theory? Erika's life has improved drastically since she started living as a girl. She feels better about herself and she has great friends too.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Open future

I'm glad Mom seems to be coming around

School

This may help school work out. It’s interesting that Erica hasn’t gone through puberty. I can relate her problems with her mother.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

not started puberty

yeah, something's not right. but I'm kinda jelly, I wish I didnt have much T

DogSig.png