The Princess and the Plague : 29

Printer-friendly version
The Princess and the Plague
Part 29
By Anistasia Allread
Edited by Karen J & Edeyn

A blur of movement came from the corner of her eye. Erika found herself falling as her feet were swept out from under her. She was about to roll to her side when she found a knee braced against her chest and a dark figure looming over her.

     
duckling.jpg

 
 
"At least it stopped raining," Taylor told them, her breath visible in the lights against the night air.

That consolation did nothing to warm Erika's freezing fingers. The white gloves that they wore were more for decoration than they were for warmth. She joined a few of the girls over by the portable gas heater directed towards them to help keep them warm between cheers.

Erika squinted through the lights up into the stands looking for her friends. She saw Tricia's hand wave down at her.

Julian, when the two had approached him at lunch was a bit hesitant at first, but with strokes of his male ego along with some comments about being 'hot enough' to take two girls, he agreed to take them both as dates.

"In a way I'm glad it's cold," Krystal told Erika. "When it gets this cold, it's too dangerous for the cheer squad to do much tumbling. It makes my job a little easier."

"We need the practice though," was Jorge's reply, his arms wrapped around her to help keep her warm.

"I just don't want to cramp up, or worse get hurt," Krystal stated. "I've worked too hard to get into shape, I'd hate to relapse now."

"You look good in any shape," Jorge grinned.

Krystal rolled her eyes as Erika suppressed a giggle.
 

--o0o--

 
Erika woke up with her alarm and sighed. It was Sunday and she was supposed to go to church with her mother. She swung out of bed and padded into the bathroom and into a hot shower.

After waking up, Erika changed into a pair of jeans and a nice top. She pulled her hair into a ponytail and put on some makeup before going downstairs.

"Morning," she greeted her mother.

"You're going to change, right?" she was instantly asked.

"I wasn't planning to."

"We're going to church, not a school function," her mother told her through gritted teeth.

"It's just church."

"Women dress in their Sunday best for God."

Erika rolled her eyes, "Whatever," she whispered to herself.

"You have half an hour before we have to go."

Erika stomped back upstairs rolling her eyes and muttering, "There's nothing wrong with this top. My jeans are clean. What's her problem?”

"And no ponytail," her mother called after her.

"What's going on?" her father asked, coming out of his bedroom.

"Mom doesn't like my outfit," Erika grumbled.

"You're supposed to be going to church, right?"

"Yes," she sighed.

"Then your mother is correct. You need to wear something nice."

"I don't see what is wrong with this outfit. It's a nice top."

"Would you wear that if you were going out to dinner with Tricia's family?" Mr. Martin asked.

"No."

"Why not?"

"Cuz."

"Because it doesn't show respect to your hosts," Mr. Martin smiled, "You treat church with the same respect. You show your respect to God by wearing your nice clothes."

"Fine," but Erika's voice had lost it's edge.

She closed her bedroom door, pulled the elastic out of her hair and looked through her closet. Erika pulled a dress out and took it into the bathroom, grabbing a pair of nylons out of her drawer. She slipped out of her jeans and blouse and began the process of sheathing her legs in the glorious silkiness of pantyhose. She practically sighed with ecstasy as she felt the nylons encase her legs.

Shit is that wrong? She asked herself. Is it wrong to feel this way when putting on girls clothes? It only seems to be this one item though. Did other girls feel this way when putting on clothes?

"I'll have to ask Dr. Barts," She muttered aloud.

Erika stepped into her dress and slid her arms through the sleeves before reaching behind her to zip it up. She quickly put some large curls into her hair with her large curling iron and touched up her makeup a bit more, adding blush and a bit more eye-shadow.

"Shoes," she said to the empty room, "What shoes should I wear?"

She glanced through the shoes that she had and then pulled out the heels she bought to go along with her Homecoming dress.

Erika stood before he mirror and studied her reflection in the mirror. How could this be the depressed moping boy that stood before this very mirror less than six months ago? She asked herself. She couldn't see ANY of Eric left in the mirror at all. Earrings, I'm missing earrings. She rummaged through the small box of earrings on her counter and slipped some medium sized hoops through her ears.

Erika smiled at her reflection and then slowly, unsteadily made her way out of her room. She had to concentrate on her balance and foot placement as she negotiated the stairs.

"That's much better," Her mother in approval as she came out of the kitchen and grabbed her purse.

"Are these shoes alright with this?" Erika asked.

"Yes, they look nice," Mrs. Martin nodded.

"I didn't know if I should wear them before the dance or not."

"I think it is a good idea, so that you can break them in a little," her mother agreed, "Lets go."
 

--o0o--

 
Erika didn't know what to do with her hands. Part of her brain was telling her to hold her arms out at the sides so that she could more easily balance in the heels. Another part of her brain told her to act demure and lightly hold her hands in front of her. Part of her brain screamed for her to hug her arms around herself in a defensive self-protective stance -- but protect her against what? God?

An elderly man in a navy blue suit and conservative tie that looked to be ten years old smiled and greeted them with a welcome as he opened the door for them. Just inside, two young boys dressed in khaki pants and polo shirts raced after one another. A little girl in a pretty dress stood off to one side stifling back tears as her mother attempted to fix her pigtails.

Erika's mother led her into the building and approached two large wooden doors which had been opened wide. The sound of a hundred voices speaking in hushed tones engulfed her as well as the scent of wood polish and the mustiness of an old building.

Rows upon rows of wooden pews stood sentinel along a wide aisle that led to a raised dais and altar. A large wooden cross occupied the wall over the altar. Tall Gothic windows set with colored glass allowed the sunlight in, but bathed the sanctuary and it's occupants in a mosaic of color.

Erika followed her mother up the aisle and found seats on the padded pews. Organ music filled the open chamber, drowning out the voices of the congregation. Women in dresses and men in suits or just shirt and tie smiled and excused themselves to find their seats.

"Is someone sitting there?" a voice asked.

Erika looked up to see a woman with her family looking expectantly at the open bench beside them.

"No, please join us," Mrs. Martin smiled.

"Thank you. I'm Evie, and this is my family,"She greeted as she began to slide past Erika and her mother, "This is my husband, Roger..."

"Pleased to meet you," Roger said smiling at them both.

"... my son, Evan, and my daughters, Allie and Annie."

Evan looking a bit preoccupied, smiled as he moved past them. One arm was in a cast full of graffiti, signatures and doodles, the other held a notebook and pen.

"Hi," he smiled as he moved past and took a seat.

"Hi, I'm Allie," The pretty girl with loose scarlet hair pulled back from her face, looked Erika up and down as if in appraisal. Erika felt her cheeks heat.

"Hi there, I'm Annie," an almost-duplicate of Allie put out her hand and greeted. The two girls were obviously sisters, most likely twins. Where Allie wore a simple but nice skirt and green blouse, Annie wore a nice floral dress and wore her hair up in an elegant French twist.

The two girls slid past them and took a seat next to them.

"Are you new here?" Annie asked.

Erika nodded, "My mom's making me come. You?"

"We recently moved here. I haven't seen you around, what school do you go to?"

"Washington. You?" Erika asked.

"Adams."

Before much else could be said, the service began with the choir singing out beautiful praises to God. The voices were enchanting as they reverberated off the walls and surrounded everyone. The priests and altar boys entered through the back of the church carrying a cross, a large ornate book and a smoking incense burner.

Erika half-listened to the sermon as she gazed around the ornate décor of the church.

Annie leaned close to Erika, "Pretty, isn't it?"

Erika nodded.

"Ever wonder what God must think of all of these trappings and façades?" She asked.

Again, Erika nodded.

There was something about this redhead that Erika liked. She couldn't put her finger on it. She seemed sincere, and honest, but there was a lot more that lay behind those pretty eyes and perfect hair.

Erika felt a hand on her leg. She looked up to see her mother looking at her knees. Erika looked at her mother questioning.

Her mother leaned her mouth close to her ear, "Close your legs, dear. Ladies don't sit like guys straddling bar stools."

Erika turned pink but pushed her knees together. Gawd how embarrassing. Here she was trying to show her mother how ladylike she could be and her mother catches her doing something like that.

Erika hadn't realized how much moving she would be doing during a church service. Sitting, standing, kneeling, sitting, standing again. Kneeling again. It was almost a work out. More of a mental work out as she struggled to remember to be ladylike at all times. She didn't want her mother to correct her posture again. It was embarrassing enough the first time.

Finally the organ music swelled as did the voices of those in attendance as the service came to a close.

"Well, what did you think?" Annie asked.

"It was okay, I guess," Erika shrugged.

"It was nice sitting with you," Annie smiled. "I hope we can sit with you next week."

"I enjoyed it too," Erika nodded.

"Doesn't our school play yours next week?" Annie asked.

"I think so," Erika tried to remember the schedule, "It's our Homecoming game."

"Oh, what fun! Do you go to the games?" Annie asked.

"Yes. I kind of have too. I'm on the Rally squad," Erika explained.

"Allie and I are cheerleaders at Adams," Annie smiled with delight.

"That's awesome," Allie agreed, "We'll see you at the game next week."

Erika nodded as the twins and their family started sliding past.

"Bye, Erika," Annie waved.

"Bye," Erika smiled back.

"New friends already?" Erika's mom asked.

"Maybe," Erika said noncommittally.

Erika and her mother joined the mob of people as they filed out of the church and into the cold air. A crisp breeze whipped around her nearly naked legs, grabbing at the skirt of her dress.

"It's really starting to get cold," Mrs. Martin noticed.

The two got into the car and waited patiently as the mass exodus of autos vied politely for the next opening in traffic.

"So did you learn anything?" Erika's mother asked.

"About what?"

"About God and religion."

"Not really, "Erika admitted, "I was a bit preoccupied."

"Oh?"

"Trying not to embarrass you and admiring the church."

"It is a nice church isn't it."

Erika nodded.

"Aren't you glad I made you change into a dress?" Mrs. Martin asked.

"Yes," Erika admitted, "Although it is getting pretty cold out can't I wear a nice pair of pants when it gets colder?"

"We'll see."
 

--o0o--

 
"What are you doing here?" Erika asked.

"I'm here to take you to your self defense class," Mrs. Martin explained.

"Today?" Erika queried.

"Every Tuesday," she nodded, "Your father and I agree that they are especially important now that you're going to be living as Erika."

"But I was hoping to get some stuff done," Erika protested.

"What stuff?"

"I was hoping to go shopping. Dad gave me some money to get some stuff."

"You're still grounded until Friday."

"Fine," she huffed.

Mrs. Martin drove the car into an old industrial park. Most of the buildings were built of old brick. Old windows placed up high where clouded by dust or frosted glass.

"Okay, here we are. I'll be back in about an hour to pick you up."

"You're not staying?"

"I have to run a couple of errands."

"But..."

"But what?"

"Nothing," Erika got out of the car and headed towards the metal door with a window set in it.

Erika's mom waved as she drove off. Erika stopped before the door. She could always go somewhere else for the next hour. Avoid mock battles with a musclebound, sweaty guy who probably had posters of Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris in his office or bedroom or something.

Who would ever know? Wait. Her father said that this guy was a friend. It would get back to him within a day. Erika's shoulders hunched as she reached for the door.

She stepped inside to find an open room with mats on the floor. Punching bags hung from chains. One wall had several large mirrors lining it.

"Hello?" Erika called out, "Anyone here?"

"Are you Martin's kid?" a voice asked.

"Yes, I'm Erika," she looked around not seeing where the voice was coming from.

"Erika? I thought John Martin had a son."

"I'm his daughter, Erika," her heart skipped a beat as she said this. The voice was closer, yet she still couldn't see the person.

A blur of movement came from the corner of her eye. Erika found herself falling to the mat as her feet were swept out from under her. She was about to roll to her side when she found a knee braced against her chest and a dark figure looming over her.

"Looks like we have a lot to work on," the voice said, "Sorry, I hope you aren't hurt."

"What the fuck!" Erika shrieked.

"I was testing to see if you had any training," the dark skinned man smiled down at her, "You don't."

He rolled off of her and was to his feet before Erika could even think to sit up, "I'm Lawrence," He offered a hand.

Erika took it uncertainly and he easily pulled her up. She regained her equilibrium and looked at Lawrence. He was a short man of African-American descent. His warm smile lit up a face that sported a broken nose and several scars.

"Should I change into work out clothes?" Erika asked.

"No. You'll be training in whatever clothes you wear for the day. I teach street fighting as part of self defense. I want you to be comfortable defending yourself in a dress and heels as well as jeans and runners. Just make sure that your dress or skirt is one that you don't mind getting abused."

"Okay," Erika stated hesitantly.

"How many weapons do you have on you today?" Lawrence asked.

"Weapons? None."

"What's in you pockets?"

"Some money, my cell phone and my house keys."

"So you do have weapons," he nodded.

"Huh?" Erika didn't understand.

"If you are being mugged, you can throw your money on the ground. Muggers will go after it and leave you be," he explained, "Your cell phone can be thrown, either slowing your attacker down, or actually doing a bit of damage. As for your keys, they can be used in several ways. May I?" he asked holding out his hand.

Erika dropped her keys into his hand.

"Hold them like this and you can punch causing some pain. Like this and you can gouge out his eyes. Like this and you have just added steel support to your punch as well as a little extra weight," he demonstrated, "Don't forget your shoes, your purse, belt and your brains."

"My brains?" Erika questioned.

"Your brains are your most powerful weapon. With it you can turn almost anything around you into a weapon."

Erika nodded with understanding.

"Now, lets learn some quick defensive moves and take downs," Lawrence handed her keys back to her.

The rest of the hour was spent learning how to use one's center of gravity and another's momentum and or weight against them. Pressure points, vulnerable areas and the like were also shown. First in slow motion, and eventually brought up to speed.

"I know it's kind of hard to practice these at home, especially when you don't want to hurt a friend, so practice only in slow motion and work on your body position and center of gravity," Lawrence advised her as he called an end to the session.

"Thanks, Lawrence," Erika smiled.

"See you next week." he nodded.


 
To Be Continued...

up
205 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Relief!

What a naughty girl you are, AA! Your teaser at the top of the story had me anticipating all manner of dire development! Even at the church, no less!

(I guess I was worried her Mom was going to have her kidnapped and sent off to retraining camp or something. It does happen to some kids in real life -- there was a recent scandal involving kids whose parents considered them recalcitrant disciplinary problems even being shipped out of the country to special "schools" where they were essentially in prison camp. There's another private institution, in Massachusetts, I believe, that uses remote shock control devices.)

Okay, so my imagination ran overtime. And maybe Mrs. Martin isn't a complete psycho after all. In fact, in this episode, I think it's pretty clear that she's made the hurdle of being able to accept her daughter. She's still not being NICE about it, but it's a start.

(And, Allie and Annie... where have I heard those names before? A little inter-author reference and promotion going on here?) They seem like great new friends. Knowing them on game day is just going to add to Erika's general aura and reputation, and probably catalyze some social ties between the two schools' cheer squads.

It Does Seem...

...that Mom may be making a serious effort on this after all. I wasn't expecting, after all the talk about church, for the scene to be all setting and no content. Throwing Allie and Annie into the spot suggests that Erika and Mom have found what they wanted on the first try. (At least we know there'll be more than one complaint if the sermons ever turn TG-unfriendly.)

Things continue to move along effectively here. Julian's acceptance wasn't a big deal after all, not even enough to get more than one retrospective sentence in the narrative.

Sounds as though Erika and Lawrence are going to get along fine, unless he tries to get an explanation from Erika's dad for the gender confusion and doesn't like the answer. The Chekov's Gun principle suggests that Erika will find use for that training before we're done, though we don't know whether it'll be Erika or Eric who gets attacked.

Eric

Glad To See That Her Mom

Is helping Erika. And what typical mother =daughter stuff too. My nieces were always mad at thier moms for being a mom.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I don't get the whole church thing

Frank's picture

Is it a device to introduce the new characters, or will it play a bigger role in the future???

Hugs

Frank

Hugs

Frank

Not much for church either

From my POV, you either have a moral compass or you don't. Goddess can take care of herself, thank you very much.

However, I think it is useful as an introduction to a spiritual framework. The idea you have to go to it constantly to reinforce said framework is ridiculous in my eyes but then there are some very imperfect human beings out there.

Kim

Introduction of the church...

also provides another area where the author can make a comment - either by making the church accepting of change (when it comes out that an attendee is genetically a male) or by rejecting Erica, or more likely a combination. Any big rejection of Erica by the church or a portion of the church is likely to drive Erica's mom CLOSER to her. (I say closer, because to date our author has not indicated that the mom is one that leans heavily on the advice of her church so would be more likely to "defend" her ofspring, than reject because she was told to.)

It also introduces potential FEMALE friends, that do NOT know Erica's past (either one). This is also probably important to Erica's long term health. In addition, if things fall appart at Erica's school - there's a chance of moving to another school - relatively local - with ready made acquaintences if not friends.

So, I see introduction of the church as opening a whole new set of possibilities for the author while also building on the background/character of those we already know. What is the reaction of the other girls to Erica going to church with her mom?

Annette

Well aware

of church being a good way to make friends. Mom tried it with me. And for a while I went to youth fellowship at a Presbyterian church. I found it hypocritical for me to attend something solely for socializing when I did not believe in the teachings per se so I quit.

Kim

Set ups

RAMI

The last few chapters have flowed very gently, without any major developments or confrontations. Very little to comment about. Erika seems to be enjoying her growth as a girl.

It seems we are in transition phase, with the addition of several new characters and Julian seemingly agreeing to taking Erika and Tricia to Homecoming.

I guess we have to wait for the sparks to fly again.

RAMI

RAMI

Princess Erika Leads a Full Life

terrynaut's picture

Erika's church experience sounds a lot like mine. That's one of the reasons why I don't go to church any more. It seemed a waste of time. I follow my own path now.

I found the self defense scene much more interesting. I like Lawrence and I much prefer self defense style martial arts classes to the sport style. Shoes as a weapon? Where have a heard that before? ;)

Oh. I almost forgot the opening scene. It seemed out of place. I expected more to follow. Oh well. There will be more in subsequent chapters I'm sure.

I agree that the blurb at the beginning is a terrible tease. I expected the worst! I'm sorry but you're going to have to be on my naughty list at least until the next chapter. *giggle*

Thanks for the chapter. Please keep up the good work.

- Terry

Nice to see........

KevSkegRed's picture

..... the Sk8r Grrls there, does this mean that Annie is ok now or was this before the shooting. It's been so long since a new episode of Sk8r Grrls appeared lol. Unless, there's a new episode waiting, I haven't got to that story yet to find out.

Maybe after the homecoming game Erika will be invited to the skate park to meet the rest of the gang.

Still enjoying the story, although I'm not a big fan of Erika and Tricia being together, it would be nice for Erika and Julian to get together properly but it would be difficult for Tricia to accept that I guess and could cause problems for Erika.

Kev [Ρĥàńŧāśĩ»ßő™], Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

KevSkegRed, Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

Crossover Timeline

At this time in the crossover between the two stories, Annie hasn't been been shot yet. In P&P it is JUST before Halloween. Annie in Sk8r grrls gets shot in November.

Edeyn and I will be working on settling and joining the timelines soon.

Thanks for reading, enjoying and commenting.

A.A.

Most of the church's that i

Most of the church's that i come across here in the sunny(at the moment!)U.k.are cold draughty places that you would not want to wear a skirt in, Erika is quite right to ask Mom if she can wear pants when it gets cold,

At least it looks like she might have found two more girls to add to her ever growing group of friends so the vist to the church did have some benefits for Erika.

If nothing else reading this episode has taught me a few self-defense moves that i might not of thought of, Mainly using my mobile as a weapon! And i just thought it was to make calls to friends!!

Hugs Kirri

p.s.who are the Sk8r Grrls?

Over here, our churches are...

"newer" on average. The one I attend is quite comfortable (okay with stockings/tights for the brits), or so my wife/daughters say - well into late November. It's OUTSIDE where it may be too cold at that time of year. In the summer? Different story. Wearing ANYTHING on the legs is too much by late July or anytime in August, and in most years that starts in June! It's why we "dump" the choir robes for the summer... :-)

Annette

It is too bad that Eric

It is too bad that Eric wasn't offered this self-defense training by his Father, it could have assisted him at so many levels. Thankfully, now the Father is helping his daughter and even Mom seems to be coming to the party even if grudgedly. J-Lynn

Eric did not exist until he became Erika

RAMI

It would appear that Eric was a non-entity to his parents. He was basically ignored (except for some very minor outings with his father)by them. They were not aware or even interested in what was going on at school. They were not perceptive enough to see that he was in trouble at school and in pain in his life.

All of a sudden he becomes Erika, and he is the center of their lives. Dad is happy to have a daughter (seems he loves his daughter, and only tolerated his son) and be involved with everything she does, including her activities. Mom, while perplexed as to the changes, finally confronted Eric/ks's problem and is seeking medical help. She is even starting to communicate on many levels with her daughter which she never did with her son.

For those of us who thought that Eric was never given the tools or chance to be Eric, even when he started down the road to Erika, his parents lack of love and indifference to him, were the first steps on his road to Erika.

RAMI

RAMI

To be fair, Dad started this push for the self defense classes

KristineRead's picture

BEFORE he knew about Erika.

He tried to get him into the classes first. He was also trying to bond, but Eric was not too into the same things, and they simply did not understand each other.

Erika is more open to things, like the rope course, etc. Even the batting cages, he was better about because he had spent the summer playing as Erika, though Dad did not know that.

I think your are being to hard on him.

Parents are often clueless about what is going through there teens minds. And Eric kept many secrets from them.

hugs,

Kristy

Good as usual

I never anticipated her actually moving into being a girl. It is a very nice development. You really faked me out with the intro. I thought she was being attacked.

M'salama

Khadija

Here's the windup,

and it's a --- well, the batter walks.

Great, this one made me chuckle!

And Julian must be blind!

Hugs
Carla Ann

I'm really surprised that ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... the meeting with Julian was given only one brief paragraph, and that he acquiesqued to their request so easily, as I thought the rumor of a Erika/Tricia relationship was well known and he would realize he was being used. I imagine he will be quite pissed off and hurt when he does find out. I still find it hard to believe that Erika and, to a lesser extent, Tricia, are being so callous and selfish; they seem to feel there is nothing wrong with using him this way - or they don't care.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Julian is well aware of the relationship between Erika & Tricia

KristineRead's picture

He was sitting behind them at the first football game when they first made out and the school found out about them.

He told Tricia that all Erika talked about was how much she loved Tricia the night she was drunk.

Julian is well aware that they are together. While I don't blame Julian for his interest in Erika, and she did make out with him, he is not completely blameless in this either. He knew he was stepping into a relationship when he asked her.

I don't like that they are doing this, but Julian does know whats going on here.

hugs,

Kristy

On The Other Hand...

Threesomes, even the idea of them, are hot to some people, and who could blame a male teen for taking a chance to live out even a shadow of a fantasy? I think he knows what the actual score is. I think he cares for Erika, at least partly as a friend. And, I think he's decided that more likely than not, this is a fun idea.

Heck, it sounds better than most of the high school dances I went to!

The organ...

The organ is the instrument of worship for in its sounding we sense the Majesty of God and in its ending we know the Grace of God.

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Teaser

That teaser had me really worried.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna