A Time to Stretch In the Company (2 of 3)

Printer-friendly version


A Time to Stretch
In the Company (2 of 3)



By Jessica C
=^_^=~


Anna replied, “Your eye in engineering made it a smooth plan from first to last. You bring out our different gifts and talents. I knew early on that Barb was impressed. Just let us know what we can do to keep things flowing.”

They were about their work when Barb sent formal word, “You are requested to meet with me over lunch. You need not bring anything but yourself. We need to talk.” BR.

It was a small conference room where they would meet with him. Alan saw caters leave as he approached, but he also saw Darlene, one of the Board members go into the room with Barb Reeves.

Shortly after he was in the room and the door was closed, Barb asked, “Did Carole tell you that when you first went into the Women’s room Darlene Miller saw you?”

It was one of those questions where they were looking for a non-anxious response. Thus he answered, “No, I’m not sure she would have recognized Ms. Miller. Did they talk?”

Darlene spoke up, “It's Darla for today, and no we didn’t. I wasn’t fully sure until Barb confirmed for me that it was you.”

Barb took off her suit coat and asked Alan to do the same. She said, “Darla and I met outside the restroom and we agreed I was right in our meeting with you. Darla wanted to be with us and so I invited her. I hope you have no problem with what we’ll be talking about.”

Darla said, “I suspect that you were out celebrating as well. Your group made an excellent presentation. All of you are to be commended. You should know it was good to get confirmation of your feminine side. Well as a matter of fact we credit you for bringing that presentation to such a great conclusion. What the final form our appreciation takes has not yet been decided.”

Barb steps forward, “Let’s take a break from business to have lunch and informal talk nothing about business.”

Alan still felt like he was in a fishbowl being closely watched. He used his hands like he was sweeping a skirt under him as he sat; he was that nervous. The look on Barb’s face was enough acknowledgment for him that she noticed. He looked at his hands and knew the signs of his manicure were still there.

The lunch has stuffed crab as the main dish, one of Alan’s favorites. Alan asks, “Is it just perchance that we’re having Cajun stuffed crab?”

Barb said, “I knew you had ordered it in the past, so we went with it. I can see that you are savoring your bites.” She asks, “Do you mind if we ask about your outfit last night, was it yours?”

“Yes, they’re mine, were you thinking I might be dressing in my wife’s clothes? Our sizes don’t quite match, nor what we look good in. It was a nice layered skirt along with my best pink blouse.”

Barb says, “No, I wanted to confirm you have your clothes. It's quite attractive. A nice choice for celebrating your day. Your wife had indicated that you didn’t know about our decision and celebration until you arrived at the Aladdin last night.”

Once we finished eating, Alan asked. “You wanted to talk to me, was it celebratory or about what we need to do next.”

Barb asked, “Do you see yourself as being transgender? And would you be open to coming to work Thursday or Friday in your new position, but as Alaina?”

Alan asked, “Is there any significance in being seen as transgender?”

Darla jumped to the question, “Yes, I suspect you know there seem to be benefits and cautions about many things in the business world today. There are some benefits to having a more inclusive group at the management level? However, a position change would not be based upon you being transgendered; you have proven yourself worthy of the promotion.”

Barb said, “We have been talking about developing another research and development division. We could even extend our services to others. We are planning to expand your team to have 16-20 members with you as the supervisor. I believe your initial crew of six is committed to following you. One question is would it change if you worked as Alaina as well as Alan? I know some have speculated the possibility about this side of you, but I’d like to invite you tomorrow or Friday to come as Alaina either in a dress or skirt outfit...”

Alan was surprised, to say the least, he had been closely listening to every word and thought. He sat down visibly needing to take an assessment of his thoughts. The idea sounded appealing, ‘but if it didn’t work out he couldn’t take back the images his co-workers would have. He’d need to talk to Susan and Anna. Would he end up losing his job? They wouldn’t cut his pay, but maybe future raises would go up at a smaller rate as he feared happened for his female workers. He saw himself as somewhat of being transgender but he was not one for labels. Did he want to be labeled?’

Barb saw Alan thinking and she thought he might need time. She momentarily changed the subject. “Think about that. We want you to plan a celebration for you and your group. You’ll have a budget of
three thousand, and we suggest it to be off sight with a paid day for your workers.”

“Regarding coming dressed as Alaina why don’t you talk to your wife and a trusted co-corker or two? You could do it tomorrow or Friday. If it would be tomorrow, please let one of us know by 7:00 this evening. Do you have a nice pencil skirt, blouse and a vest-like jacket? That would be best for work attire.” She paused and Alan soon understood she wanted to know more about his clothing options.

He said, “Yes, I have two options, I think of, but I prefer color over the usual black or gray, and I might need to buy a vest or jacket. I’m not sure how the ones I have go with my skirt of choice.”

Barb gave a slight smile, “I will allow you up to a hundred in expenses, and there would be a clothing expense account if you decide to follow through and be employed as Alan and Alaina.”

Alan gestures to Darla as well as Barb, “It sounds like you expect this to work.”

Barb responds, “I could have easily sat down with you last night and comfortably talked longer. Yes, I am sure enough that both management and your co-workers will find it acceptable. You have been showing more of this side of you lately. I’m sure your team noticed. The results of both of you and your team indicated you’re at your best and that accept you as their supervisor. I believe that is true in light of their speculation about your feminine identity.” She spelled it out and he believed she was correct.


=^_^=~


Barb and Darla excused Alan and he was immediately texting Anna and Susan, and his wife. “Susan and Anna, I want to visit with you in my office in half an hour.” “Carole, please call me between classes, or better if you have an open period.” He was fairly sure she had an open period on some Wednesdays.

When he got back to his section; he did a quick walkthrough and he saw two maybe three reports in his in-box. He got to his desk and wrote a few notes. Anna was the first he spotted coming down the aisle directly in front of him. He looked down and heard a knock and looked up again; wherever Susan ever came from she was there now.

All three were there, and Alan had trouble finding the right words. Susan began by saying, “We heard from Ned Berger that you’re transgender and that was why you were to lunch with Barb Reeves and Board member Darlene Thomas. I don’t mean to take the wind out of your sails, but Ned wanted to know what our reactions would be. He said his office is near Barb’s and he got the information from them talking… I don’t think they told him, but rather he overheard them.”

Anna said, “During the project, we heard the speculation; I even tried to tell you once.”

He said, “Are you trying to tell me I wouldn’t listen.”

Anna said, “No, you’re a very good listener, but it was a week or so ago, and you were called by one of the higher-ups. You didn’t tell us who, but you quickly left.”

Alan said, “You never brought it up again?”

“Well that aside; we’ll deal with Ned Berger later. But that is what Barb wanted to talk to me about. Carole, Andrea, and I went out to celebrate last night at the Aladdin and we bumped into Barb there. Unfortunately, I was dressed as Alaina. We didn’t talk then, but agreed to talk today.”

Susan asked, “So what was she wanting to say? It couldn’t have been bad; you just proved you’re invaluable.”

Alan says, “Everyone’s replaceable. No, they’re thinking of using us to make a new project and development team. Barb and Darla asked me if I’d come as Alaina tomorrow or Friday and see if you’d accept working with me.”

“Seemingly, you were very acceptable to them; we’ve seen it coming, yet not sure it would ever happen,” Anna commented. Do you have any pictures of yourself?”

Alan stopped to think; he never put any photos online of Alaina, but Carole took one on his phone last night. He took out his phone, searched his photos, and pulled up the one from last night. Susan and Anna were both delightfully surprised, “You clean up well, and we don’t see any traces now. You’ve missed getting all your makeup off a time or two, and once you had a curl not completely washed out.” Anna said, “The curl incident was when I tried to talk to you.”

Alan’s phone indicated a call; he could tell by the ring tone it was Carole. “Don’t go too far we still need to talk.”


=^_^=~

He answered Carole’s call, “Thanks for calling back Carole.” She was amused to hear the suggestion. They took twenty minutes to talk. Their talk ended with the decision: “Seemingly, that Ned guy could ruin the timing if you don’t go with it tomorrow. Ask Barb to call me; I’d like to know more about the suit vest or jacket. I’d suggest you go with the pastel coral, not the light blue you’re thinking about.”

“I hadn’t thought of that one,” he said, “But we’d need a new jacket or vest for sure.” He asks, “So are you comfortable with me coming to work as Alaina?”

“I’m supportive of you coming out at work; I just want to make sure, it doesn’t force you to do something you are not ready for. You have my blessing.”

They were soon finished talking and he hung up.

Back to his talk with Susan and Anna. Anna asks, “What does she and Andrea think of Alaina coming out in public.”

Alan, upon hearing Andrea’s name again wondered if he could come out; what would that mean for Andrea? “Andrea, I haven’t thought about Andrea.”

His phone rings again and the tone means Andrea is calling. He answers, and she’s at college. “Dad, Mom thought you’d be worrying about me, don’t. It will be a relief; we all knew it would happen sometime. I was always afraid that I’d be the one to let out that Alaina is my father.” She went on to say, “Mom even told me the outfit you’ll be wearing,” She laughed, “Get a vest that’s a little small so it forces a little cleavage to show; the guys won’t even see your face.”

Alan laughs at his end, and it has Susan and Anna wondering. He asks as he forces himself to stop laughing, “Is that what you really think or are you just being nice so I can come out?”

“Dad, I have to go; I got another class.” …“Yes, I am all in favor; I’ll hug the stuffings when I see you.”

Alaina begins to cry. Susan comes and hugs Alan. “What did she say that has you in tears?”

Alan responds using Alaina’s voice, “She, you, Carole love me enough that I can come out from hiding. Barb is inviting me to come to work as Alaina.”

Andrea was still on the phone when Alaina began to cry; she spoke from the other end and was finally heard, “Dad are you okay? I can take time to talk if needed.”

Susan takes the phone, realizing Andrea hasn’t hung up. “Andrea, she’s just overwhelmed with joy, I think.”

=^_^=~


Andrea had seen her father as Alaina longer than others knew. She was six when she realized Alaina was her father. Her parents even told her before but it hadn’t registered. It had been natural for her to love this side of her Dad, but also frustrating that she wasn’t able to tell anyone.

Andrea had three times where she accidentally outed her father. Once, when she was ten years old coming home from her softball game with her friend Chelsey and they were caught in a rainstorm. Chelsey lived another three blocks away. They ran into the house with Andrea yelling, “I’m home!” Alaina came out from the kitchen. Andrea yelled, “Go back, Daddy!” She tried to quickly correct herself. “That was my Daddy’s sister Aunt Alaina.”

Chelsey said, “She looks like your father.”

Andrea quickly said, “I’m sorry Daddy, but Chelsey knows it was you.” From then on, Chelsey was allowed over to play with Andrea upstairs or outside. Alaina was outed to Chelsey’s mother Lynn so it wouldn’t be a secret from Chelsey’s Mom.

A second time came when Andrea was turning thirteen and they were having the family’s birthday celebration a day early. Her father was dressed as Alaina. A friend, Nancy, and her mother, Rose, showed up a day early for Andrea’s birthday party with friends. Andrea had dated it wrong on Nancy’s invitation. They knocked and came in on their own as they heard the birthday song being sung. Carole was bringing the cake out from the kitchen and Alaina went to check who was at the door.

Rose said, “I heard there's another woman who sometimes is here. My name is Rose and we came right in because we thought we were already late.” Nancy spoke up and said, “Mom she looks like Andrea’s Dad.”

Carole and Alaina gave Andrea’s party over to her grandparents with Nancy, while they tried to explain to Rose why Alan was dressed as a woman and called Alaina. Rose told Carole and Alaina, “I had been in an adult key club where women once dressed our husbands as a woman for the night.” She said, “I could have dressed Alaina in my place and Billy Robbins wouldn’t have known who he was with until they were in bed.”

The last time was earlier in the year when Andrea came home crying and she ran into Alaina’s arms. Jasmine soon followed and came into the house, at the same time Carole was coming from the master bedroom. Jasmine called to Andrea, “I’m sorry, but I didn’t mean it when I said a man dressed as a woman is sick. I meant I just didn’t understand why he would.”

Jasmine looked at Alaina and Carole, “Oops, I didn’t know you were talking about your Dad. I thought it was all hypothetical.”

Carole laughed, “My husband is kinda the hypothetical one, but she’s not.” That night the four women went out to dinner together. It was one of the rare occasions to that point that Alaina had gone out.


=^_^=~


That day after work Alan came home changed his clothes and put the choral pink skirt in a bag to take with them. Carole had greeted Alan giving him a big hug. “Wow, I am so happy for you!” She was also changing to go shopping with him. Before they could get out the door they could smell something baking in the kitchen. It was Andrea, and she said, “I’ve just pulled a cake out of the oven. I thought we should celebrate Dad’s coming out to others!” She put the cake on the counter to cool, “Should I grab my coat and come with you?”

It was agreed they would go together. Carole and Andrea had a favorite boutique they went to, at times like this. Martha the owner should be there and they knew she would be discrete. They arrived at the St. Ives Boutique and as they were getting out Alaina panicked. “I’m afraid; I don’t know if I can do this.”

“Dad, we got this with you,” Andrea comforted her father. Carole added, “You’ve come this far, but we can do it another time if need be.”

Alaina took her time to consider going back or summing up the courage to go in now. She thought, ‘If not now then sometime; never isn’t my choice. I might as well do it now.’ She looked at her wife and daughter, smiled, and got out of the car. It wasn’t without some trepidation, but they went in together.

Once inside Alaina walked around surveying the store. She was happy with what she saw. Carole was visiting with Hanna Cooper. She had taught Andrea when Andrea was in third grade and came out from teaching to help start the boutique. She was cheery and warmly greeted the three. “I hear you are looking for a jacket or vest to go along with your pencil skirt?”

Alaina took out the skirt and let it unfold. Hanna took it from her and asked, “Is there an occasion it is for?”

Alaina looked to Carole and Andrea, “Yes, I’ve been invited to come out at work. I’m a supervisor so I want something attractive but not flashy. Something worthy of a woman supervising others.”

Hanna repeated the words, “‘Come out’ so what is the change?”

Alaina realized that Hanna did not yet understand, “I’m Andrea’s Dad and I usually present myself as Alan.”

Hanna’s hands go up to her face, noting surprise! “Oh my, well you present well.” She looked at the skirt again and said, “We have the option of looking for a vest, or a jacket. or a combination of the two. We recently discontinued carrying the skirt, though I could order it again. I have two of the vests that went with it. We could look at that, or other vests, or a nice linen jacket.”

Andrea speaks up, “I was thinking of a vest that corrals her bosom.” The suggestion embarrasses Alaina a little but she likes the thought and stays silent. Hanna looks to Alaina, “If that would be alright with you; it would be good because the remaining vests are small and medium. I think the medium would be snug like Andrea suggests, it could be adjusted a little.”

Alaina says, “That would be good, but I’d like two or three possibilities to consider along with it.”

Hanna says, “That is always a wise choice.” She found a white vest that she suggested wearing with a pastel yellow blouse. Carole found a blue paisley vest with coral running through it. And Andrea picked out a yellow jacket that would allow Alaina her choice of blouse.

Alaina first tried on the vest that went with the skirt and was tempted to stop there. It was very nice, and everyone agreed it would be a great choice. Walking out to the three-way mirror Alaina spotted a vibrant blue blouse and near it a cream vest. She quickly asked while she had the courage, “What would you think of this teal blouse and the cream vest?”

Hanna said, “Let’s find them in your size and have you try them.” They had the needed sizes with two blouses giving a choice of differing sleeves. The combination with the skirt was great. She soon decided she’d get both the cream one and the matching coral vest.

They thought they were done when Hanna suggested, “You other women should find something and I’ll give it all a 15% discount.” Once Andrea and Carole were looking, Hanna suggested, “Alaina now is a good time to get your second outfit be it for Friday or next week.” She showed Alaina an area of pencil skirts, and she put her clothes over near the register.

There was a nice bluish-gray skirt that had a matching jacket. Near the mannequin, there were choices of reddish-orange, white, or black blouses. Alaina already tried the white blouse and came out wearing the reddish-orange blouse. Andrea came out wearing a new little red dress. Carole was already at the three mirrors checking over her outfit. Andrea and Carole were pleasantly surprised by Alaina's second outfit. “Wow, Daddy!” Carole, “You look like you’re ready for another day at work or a casual night out.”

The shopping spree was not inexpensive, but the fifteen percent discount made it all possible.

Hanna suggested, “All you need now are manicures for the three of you.”

Carole called around and they had appointments for 7:30. It allowed the time to pick up Thai food to go and to change out of nylons and into flip-flops.

There was no trouble getting Alaina’s nails to match her outfit. The crescent moons were an extra. Carole and Andrea were amused by the appointment concerning Alaina being with them. None of the manicurists either noticed or didn’t make mention of Alaina being different.

The cake dessert was enjoyed after 9:00 that night. Carole and Andrea helped Alaina hang and put away her new clothes. Hanna had given me a package of seamless pantyhose until Carole confessed as we were going to bed that she bought them.

=^_^=~


Carole woke Alan at 5:15 in the morning; she justified it, saying, “Getting ready will take longer this morning. You will also want to double-check everything. He had on his vagina gaff, and after his outfit was on; he checked and observed no panty line under the clothes. he was about to bite a nail until he looked at them and was proud of how well they looked. He had a cup of tea and a toasted bagel with cream cheese.

Once he got to work, he was about to enter when he heard Barb inside. “I almost didn’t recognize you Alaina is it? If you didn’t come in early like usual, I’m sure I would have missed you. Your outfit is a little better than the norm, but it is fitting for you.” She greets him and walks him to his section. “I will have a new name tag for you momentarily. I’ll make it to fit the upper vest pocket.”

He was in his section, checking yesterday’s paperwork when Susan and Anna walked in together. ‘Oh and wow’ were the expressions on their face. They encouraged him to go down to Barb’s office for fifteen minutes so the regular staff were all in when she came back. The other workers were notified something would be different, which Anna said started the run of wild expectations. Only one was close to suggesting Alan change his appearance. Most of the speculation had to do with bonuses or promotions. They said little would have an impact on them.

Only this morning did Barb suggest that the new large conference room would become their new research and development area. CEO William Dupree and Charles Higgins the Chairman of the Board had approved your change before it was offered. You will automatically get a $7,500 raise with your new position, but that should only be temporary until the stated amount is formalized. Mr. Dupree will be down to meet you or call you to his office.” Anna, Susan, and Aubrey Whitney are to be directly under me with Aubrey heading up IT. Aubrey was one of the extended staff that Alan had coopted for his expanded team. Chloe was a long-time secretary approved to work for Alan/Alaina. If Alaina approved all of the previous extended staff as they hoped it would make it a team of eighteen. Alaina spoke up and asked, “I would like to change two of the extended team members. I would like interns Kayla Robins and Sydney Jones offered positions with the team at terms above average. Barb knew that would give William Dupree something concrete to talk to Alaina about.

Alaina knew that Sydney had a serious girlfriend who had another year at their university. Alan had already talked to her about a position and she would be pleased to have it with terms being good.

=^_^=~


It was time to go back to her present department and Barb was going with her to make it formal. Once there and everyone was accounted for; Barb stepped forward, “You heard rumblings at the end of work yesterday that there would be announcements today. I am here to confirm two. You have been speculating with others about Alan Hart. Well, your department will take over the large conference area you drew up in your project. You will need to draw up new specs to suit your department, as well as design a new large conference area into the plan. Your working team will be approximately eighteen in number and it will be headed up by (she paused) by Alaina (pause) /Alan Hart.” They applauded Alan’s promotion, and a few verbally asked Alaina who? “Let me introduce to you, Alaina Hart.”

Alaina stepped forward and so did the department members. “Wow, Alaina,” said Susan, “We wondered about this side of you, and I am still delightfully surprised.” The delight for Alaina was echoed numerous times as they took turns personally congratulating her.

When Aubrey came into the room, Alaina quickly had the team settled down and introduced Aubrey formally as the head of their Information Tech group. They knew Aubrey and she had worked with them on their project.

Alaina said, “You were told to plan a celebration at the close of work. You will be my guests at Biggio’s for dinner at our expense. That includes you, a spouse, a friend, or a significant other for those not married. It will be the last of my celebrations together with you. The three supervisors will be responsible for those things.”

CEO William Dupree decided to have Alaina come to his office. His Administrative Assistant announced Alaina, and William stood and came around the desk to welcome Alaina Hart. “Thanks for coming over, and I hope we haven’t rushed you too much. We wanted to make this change in light of your group's work on the project. We have been noticing you since before your group got the project. I am personally glad with your appearance; it should make the change a bit easier… I know you were told of a preliminary $7,000 raise. It will be a $10,000 raise plus added benefits. Carole is welcome to social events as are other spouses. New for us will be a one-time $5,000 clothing allowance. You will also need to make Alaina an official part of your name. You can be Alan or Alaina but we desire that it not be back and forth, willy-nilly.”

Once William sat down in a chair, Alaina sat in one across from him. Her legs were crossed at the ankle and the hem of her skirt cupped her hands. William continued the conversation, “We have for a good while been impressed with your work and your crew. You handle people quite well. Barb Reeves told me about your request for interns Kayla Robins and Sydney Jones. That is a very astute request. We have usually waited a little longer, and have lost some of those interns.”

Alaina said, “We already know their abilities and how well they work with our group. A few workers might be upset or feel slighted because they will not be positioned as beginners. If that means a few will quit or transfer, so be it.”

William Dupree said, “I admire a manager who can make good decisions like that.” They talked a while longer, but Dupree had a full schedule. Alaina was relieved that she made it through their first meeting. William had informed Alaina she would be introduced to the working council and the Board of Directors.

Once back to her office, she met and confirmed the celebration preparations. She worked with Anna, Susan, and Aubrey about the division of assignments and who was working with whom. Kayla Robins had come to work for the celebration. She said, “I was just informed that I’m being hired for a full-time job; who is this Alaina Hart that I can thank for the job?”

Alaina spoke, “I’m Alina and I’m the head of our new department with Alan.” Kayla looked to Alaina, “Wow, you went and did it. I’m glad they were smart enough to promote you. Susan said you’re fortunate to have the wife you do.”

Alaina said, “You’re to finish your internship, and upon graduation, you'll be in our new division you will work under Susan's supervision. You and Sydney did a great job of being flexible and understanding our system. You have brought fresh thinking as well as being able to adapt to working with an established crew.”

Alaina said, “Anna, I hope you don’t mind, I’m going to put Sydney with Aubrey.”

Anna said, “It makes sense. I agree about the two that won’t continue with us. I hope that Patricia and Lena will be on my team again.”


=^_^=~


They were at Biggio’s where there was first an informal gathering, and then the meal. Carole and Andrea were both there. Alaina thought Andrea’s presence would be good for Kayla and Sydney. So they wouldn’t be the youngest there. Near the end of the evening, Alaina took Susan and Anna aside. She said, “I hope this won’t be too forward of me. I will remain your boss, but now as Alaina, I hope we can become a girlfriend, as well. Even if there comes a time you each get promoted; I want to be girlfriends. It is one thing I’ve always wanted since I was a teen, even younger. Susan rushed to hug Alaina, “That is the best new I’ve heard this evening…

To be continued… (2 of 3)

up
63 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Depending On The Company

joannebarbarella's picture

I think coming out at work would be the hardest thing to do, although Alaina has the absolute hardest one beat, that is coming out to your family.

Coming out not accomplished in a day...

Joanne,
I agree the hardest was to come out to Carole and Alan's family. That wasn't accomplished in a day. Coming out at work won't either. I often give my stories good circumstances. But not all has been easy for me, or others like us. The final chapter will generally be positive, but not without troubles.

As always thanks for commenting.

Hugs, Jessie

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

A nice launch

Emma Anne Tate's picture

It seems like Alaina couldn’t have a better, more supportive family and employer, and her team admires and respects her. And with all that, she remains filled with angst and self-doubt. Like any transwoman would be! Sigh. :)

Emma